36 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2014 8:36 PM by Hawkeye RSS

Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy is being produced and is set to be released August 1, 2014.

http://marvel.com/images/gallery/story/19067/images_from_sdcc_2012_guardians_ant -man_films_on_the_way/image/926481/full

• Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

I hear about this

sounds pretty cool

I would love to see Starlord and Phyla-vel on screen

this could be pretty cool if they do it right

This is going to be the best thing ever.

Jadryx

Well the director (and (re)writer) has been offically announced.  I don't really know this director's work so I can't say too much about the choice.  He's good friends with Joss Whedon so maybe that is a plus since they will be coordinating plenty of stuff.  His IMDB profile also says he's an avid comic book reader.  That's all I've got.

This is the Phase 2 movie I'm most worried about.  I think it's because it's pretty ambitious and the characters aren't as well known as those in Phase 1.  I'm excited for the eventual casting news and more info on the story.

Hawkeye

Yeah, I think it could be spectacular or it could end up being too silly/out there for people to get into.  Two of the main characters are a talking raccoon and a tree, which is a hard sell to people that aren't big sci-fi fans.  Ant-Man isn't an A list character like Cap or Thor, but he's human so people won't blow it off as cheesy as quickly.  I think both could be pretty awesome though, if done right!

Jadryx

I haven't been posting much info about this one.....the list of actors rumored for Star Lord is huge.  It includes people like Joel Edgerton, Jim Sturgess, Lee Pace, James Marsden, Garret Hedlund, and a bunch of others. 

The most recent rumor is a bit crazy.  I think I could maybe see Carrey doing some performance capture work for Groot, but I think Sandler should not be allowed near this one.  Marvel knows what they are doing, though.  They've done very well so far with casting so until they prove otherwise I'll trust them to pick the right actors.

Hawkeye

Jim Carry, I wouldn't mind too much, they just have to stop him from going too over the top.  Adam Sandler is an awful choice though.  All of his voices sound exactly the same.

Jadryx

It looks like if your name happens to be Chris you have a good chance of appearing in a Marvel movie (or maybe at least a better chance than the other guys auditioning for the role!).  Star Lord has been cast.  It's funny, for both this and the female lead in CA:TWS the roles ended up going to someone who hadn't been previously rumored to be up for the part.  I saw Moneyball but don't remember this guy (I would probably only recognize him if I watched it again with the intention of looking for him).  He was also in Zero Dark Thirty (with Joel Edgerton, who was rumored to be up for Star Lord!)

Hawkeye

Awesome!  I don't know anything about him, but it's cool to see this movie coming along.  I wonder if we'll get any other cast announcements soon?

Jadryx

This girl sure does like her sci-fi franchises!  Zoe Saldana is confirmed for GotG as Gamora.  Dave Bautista also confirmed as Drax.

Hawkeye

I swear she was confirmed for the role a month ago?  Still, pretty cool to have her on board officially.  I think it's just Groot and Rocket Raccoon that haven't been cast yet?

Rogue_Shadow

So it's just the two characters that should be the most awesome and hilarious that are left?  Course, that's just based on my pretty limited knowledge of the Guardians of the Galaxy, but Groot and Rocket Raccoon are the ones I'm kinda most exctied about seeing in the movie. 

Hawkeye

Me too.  How many other movies will have a tree and a snarky raccoon as the heroes?

Rogue_Shadow

Three and a half?

Jadryx

It's kind of sad that we got more info about Guardians of the Galaxy at SDCC than we did from Thor:TDW. (BUT, the info for GOTG does make me pretty excited for next August!)

They even had some footage shown (and they just started filming!) and the new concept art with the characters drawn like the actors portraying them is pretty cool (notice the shadows behind them). Here's a similar article with a little different info.

This was a good interview as well.  Apparently we're also supposed to get casting info on Groot and Rocket Raccoon "soon".

Hawkeye

The Guardians concept art looks so cool and I'm getting pretty excited about how this movie is coming together.  They've got a great cast, the props shown off at SDCC looked amazing, and the way its been described sounds like a lot of fun.  Hopefully we got some great choices for Rocket and Groot!

Jadryx

A little news - Vin Deisel is rumored to be up for the voice of Groot.  Seems like a waste of high profile casting if all he says is "I am Groot!".

There was also someone that leaked the footage shown there (same footage as SDCC.  The link I posted shows mostly just stills, but i'm sure there's the full thing out there somewhere).  Keep in mind it's low quality and they had only been shooting for something like 12 days so it's all very early.  I think Rocket Racoon looks pretty cool.  The shot of him firing his gun is great!  Green body paint is tricky to pull off so it will be interesting to see what the final product looks like, but Drax looks pretty good and Gamora is just ok to me (but that is based on crappy pics).

Hawkeye

The leaked footage looks pretty awesome!  It looks like a really fun movie and Marvel could have another big movie franchise on their hands.  I can't wait till we get a proper trailer and they find a voice actor for Rocket.

Jadryx

Haven't posted anything here for a while!  I think a few things have been discussed in the Survivors thread, but here's the biggest news in a while - we're getting a trailer tonight!  It will be premiering on Jimmy Kimmel.  I'll probably be asleep so I'll have to catch it in the morning.  I'm excited to get a good look at some footage!  They released a few new stills too (one of the whole team) and they are looking pretty good.

Hawkeye

Incoming trailer!

Jadryx

Nice!  It served as an introduction of the Guardians for the multitudes of people who have no idea who they are and gave a good idea of the overall tone.  I was a little disappointed that it was basically the SDCC trailer, but I understand why they did it and I'm sure the next trailer will go more into the plot (maybe showing before Cap:TWS?).  I think Chris Pratt will shine in this one.  It's gonna be another good year for MCU movies!

Hawkeye

Is anyone else getting a strong RDJ vibe off the way that Starlord was written?  The gag with no one having heard of Starlord and him yelling at the guy for wearing his headphones feels a lot like something RDJ's Tony would do.

Rogue_Shadow

Such a fun trailer!  I'm fine with them not showing too much plot stuff, since I don't need it spoiled for me anyway.  It was pretty hilarious, especially Star-Lord, and it looks like there should be some major action going on, too.  Hopefully, we get another trailer with Cap 2!

NovaSongbird

My God that trailer was great. I mean, it really might be the major GotG fanboy in me, but this movie looks perfect...!
          I like that it didn't show much of the plot, it's nice to finally have a movie where the plot isn't going to be somewhat obvious!

I mean, we do know that it's going to be about an infinity stone (and I think I've heard that was what we saw it the trailer, the thing Starlord was stealing), but other than that, basically no clue!

And I'm hoping the other 4 Guardians are done just as great as we can see Starlord has been. My only real disappointment are the Novas that look nothing like Novas. They certainly done look like they're going to have any sort of Nova force... But at least John C Reilly and.. the British guy were good!

Jadryx

They released little clips for Star Lord, Rocket, Groot, Drax, and Gamora (haven't seen them yet...but will as soon as I can) and a new poster (looks good and a little different than previous MCU movies).  They definitely opened the flood gates a bit for the marketing in the last day or two!

Jadryx

Iron, I don't know how you can say this doesn't look like a good time at the movies!

Hawkeye

The new trailer is absolutely gorgeous!  The aliens, the ships, the costumes; they all look amazing.  Really great job on the visuals. I'm still not sold on Chris Pratt's Starlord as the lead, but man, the rest of the cast looks great.  I'll need to adjust to Rocket sounding American though.

NovaSongbird

Really? You didn't think of him with an American accent? Am I the only one who heard him as American?

Well this movie is looking like it's going to be just perfect! I've heard a lot of people saying it looks like the in between ground of Star Wars and Avengers, and I like that, that is how Guardians is supposed to be!

But I've got to disagree with you on Pratt, Hawk. I love Starlord (almost as much as Nova) and I think Pratt is a perfect choice for him! I'm really happy with his and all the other casting. My only real complaint is Gamora's face... it just doesn't look right...

Hawkeye

He had a cockney accent in Marvel vs Capcom 3 and EMH (can't whether if he has one in Lego Marvel, I think he does though), so it's kinda stuck in my head that's how he should sound.

Pratt/Starlord might just not be my cup of tea.  I think I'm most excited to see Zoe Saldana playing an assassin again, she was really awesome in Colombiana.  I think I'll like Drax, Groot, and Rocket a lot too.