31 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2013 1:03 AM by Iron24 RSS

Avengers Assemble!

Hawkeye

The next Avengers cartoon is gonna be shown at SDCC in just a few days so I figure we could use a place to talk about it.  There's still not much info about it on either wikipedia or IMDB.  Hopefully we'll finally know a little about it other than it's gonna be geared more toward the movies than EMH was.

• Re: Avengers Assemble!
    Rogue_Shadow

I'm trying to decide whether I should boycott the show, since bad ratings might possibly mean Loeb finally gets fired.  I still can't believe he was put in charge, in the first place.  Guess it depends on whether the show is actually gonna be good.  If it is, then I guess I'll watch it.  Loeb's track record isn't exactly impressive, though...

Hawkeye

You could do both and just watch the episodes online, haha.  I'm not going in with high hopes though.  I get annoyed whenever I see Hawkeye in the Ultimate costume instead of the 616 inspired one like EMH.  Plus, Chris Cox did such an awesome job with Clint and I fear that he'll get replaced by someone that aint as good.

Rogue_Shadow

Haha, yeah, but I'm not exactly expecting a great show.  either. It might not even be worth watching, anyways.  I'll have to see what all the different previews about it say and what kinda trailers pop up for it, I guess.  Yeah, I'd expect them to get new voice actors for all of them, and use the Ultimate Spider-Man voice actors for the ones that were in that show.  Especially after they picked Drake Bell over Josh Keaton for Ultimate Spider-Man.  Hopefully, they don't waste Chris Cox's time by bringing him in for an audition like they did with Keaton.

Iron24

Hard to get excited about a new Avengers cartoon when the one they foolishly cancelled was so good. It really sounds like a dumbed down version of AV EMH and that upsets me. The success of their movies is not coming from kids and if you look at the demographics for the Marvel movies there are plenty of adults who are watching them. Loeb is an idiot!!!

Hawkeye

@Rogue - I'd want Chris Cox to audition for the role cause it means that he at least gets a shot of retaining it which ya can't do if ya don't audition (unless you're Steve Blum).

@Iron - I know, movies shouldn't dictate what happens in the comics, cartoon, etc. but it's what happens anyway.  Fury is played by Sam Jackson in the movies so now we have Nick Fury Jr who looks like Sam Jackson in the comics as well as Coulson.  Hawkeye has a Ultimate inspired costume in the movies so now he gets one in the 616 universe.  Same for Cap now too judging by the Marvel NOW!  poster.  I wish we could just keep the two as their own entities or publish some movie comics on the side.

Rogue_Shadow

@Hawk: Yeah, but I just don't expect them to let him play Hawkeye, or else they would've let Keaton play Spidey in the new cartoon.  I don't think anyone could listen to both of them play Spidey and actually pick Drake Bell over him, you know?  Though, hopefully the voice actors they get for this show will be better than the ones in Ultimate Spider-Man, even if they aren't the same as the EMH voice actors.

@Iron: Yeah, I've never understood the idea of aiming a cartoon at kids like that.  A lot of young kids will watch a show just because it has the Avengers in it, regardless of whether it's good or not.  So it's kinda a waste to target them with the show, and alienate anyone over the age of 8.

Hawkeye

News from SDCC! [Via CBR}

"Now let's talk about the elephant in the room," Loeb said. "I know a lot of you are big fans of 'Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.'" Alluding to internet rumors—"a lot of things on the internet are not true"—Loeb said "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" was always going to be 52 episodes, an animation industry standard order. "When that show concluded itself, we had an issue on our hands, what to do next." Loeb compared the transition to what's seen with a new creative team in comics.

He formally announced the long rumored "Marvel's Avengers Assemble," which continues the previous continuity, and showed a brief animation test. Fin Fang Foom is ravaging New York, and Iron Man and Thor are first on the scene, followed in short order by the Hulk. Captain America and Hawkeye join the fight, completing the team.

In the case of both clips, Loeb cautioned that the footage and voices were not final, and the completed animation would be "even snazzier."

I'm still worried with Loeb at the helm since the Loeb episodes of EMH haven't been well received, but I'm happy that EMH gets to live on.  I wonder though what it means to some of the storylines that happened through EMH.  If characters like Wasp, Hank Pym, Mockingbird, Ms Marvel, etc show up will everyone still know them?  Will the series have to explain the history of them from EMH?  What about a guy like Loki who had a huge season one storyline, will they bring him for another grand scheme because people know him from the Avenger movies?  I wanna know about the VAs too.  I really want the EMH crew back.

Loeb claims that this new show will be darker the EMH so I guess we don't have to worry about it being dumbed down. Still, it's hard to get excited with Loeb in charge even if it is a continuation of EMH.

Hawkeye

First footage of Avengers Assemble!

It's such a brief clip that ya can't tell all too much about it, but Tony mentions disbanding which might hint toward it being a follow-up on EMH.  They're still in the Avengers Mansion, since ya can see it in a few shots, which is interesting since the Mansion wasn't referenced at all in the movies, but that might not necessarily mean anything.  I also saw a quick shot of a really horrible looking MODOK and what looks like Red Skull wearing Iron Man's armor.  Falcon's little joke in it is a bit corny, but ya can't really base anything off that.  Hopefully it will be closer to EMH than Ult Spidey.

Rogue_Shadow

I think I'd pretty much rather have it not be a follow-up to EMH, if it's gonna be really different from EMH.  The idea of them disbanding and trying to come back together almost reminds me of Wolverine and the X-Men, actually, if we're comparing cartoons, though who knows if it'll work anything like that show.  I really hope Falcon isn't used as comic relief or anything, though.  It's a really short clip, though, so I guess we'll have to wait until the 26th to know much about the show. 

Hawkeye

It would be weird for them to disband after all they went through in EMH, but it could work pretty well with the right story.  It at least seems to be more serious than Ultimate Spidey's all out wackiness and cut away gags.  They weren't playing up any goofy jokes, aside from the brief line from Falcon, though teasers can be deceiving.  I don't think the voice cast is as strong as EMH though.  I wish they could've got some Steve Blum-esque deal since they all did such an amazing job with their characters.

Rogue_Shadow

Yeah, I could never see them disbanding after that, especially some of the mainstays like Tony, Cap, and Jan.  Not to mention that there's no way you explain Jan not rejoining the team short of killing her off, based off of EMH.  Yeah, I'm not blown away by the cast so far. I've never been a fan of Pasdar as Tony, actually, though I'm probably the only one who liked the voice actor from EMH for him and would've wanted them to use him again for this show.  Maybe they should just get Steve Blum to voice everyone!?  He could probably actually do a decent job of that.  You should hear some of his work in Spectacular Spider-Man.  There's scenes where he's having a conversation with himself, where he's playing a crazy, cacking Green Goblin and a guy with a British accent, and it totally works.  The dude is one awesome voice actor. 

Hawkeye

I could see Jan temporarily leaving to try to help Hank get his mental health back in order and, let's face it, he's not gonna get better hanging with the Avengers.  He hated violence and took Ultron's evil turn pretty hard.  Clint, Cap, and Hulk didn't have anything going for them outside of the Avengers though.  The Avengers is their family and I guess maybe Clint could go hang with Bobbi for a while (but I can't see him returning to SHIELD after the way Fury treated him) and Cap could take a break since he did go through a lot imprisoned by Skrulls, but they'd come back to the Avengers in a month or two.  I don't know, maybe the whole disbandment is just really a few months break from fighting bad guys?  I'm sure they all could use a vacation, haha.

I thought Pasdar did a really good Hawkeye in the Next Avengers movie, but I'm not feeling his voice in that little clip.  I liked EMH Tony too, haha.  Not sure where the hate for him comes from.  Steve Blum is pretty recognizable even when he's doing different kinds of voices, but that would be pretty funny.  It'd make me imagine Wolverine playing with Avenger action figures, haha.

Rogue_Shadow

I don't know, I kinda have a tough time seeing that happen.  I mean, Jan stuck with the Avengers after Hank quit before.  I would've liked to see more of what was gonna happen with Hank, though.  He got like one episode as Yellowjacket, where they all left him behind as they went to save the Kree and he had that awesome scene where he waited until the last second to save the ship from the bomb.  Brand absolutely had a meltdown in that scene.  But I'd definitely agree that it doesn't make much sense for Clint, Cap, and Hulk to leave.  And how about Vision?  What else is he gonna do if he's not an Avenger? 

Yeah, I really haven't like Pasdar as Tony in anything so far, even though he seems to be the new official animated voice of Iron Man.  He's just a little bland as Tony.  EMH Tony (Eric Loomis is apparently his name) kind of sounded like an RDJ knock-off at first, but I got past that after the micro-episodes and it wasn't an issue for the rest of the series.  He just sounds like he's having way more fun playing Tony than Pasdar does, and it makes the character more fun.  I almost think Pasdar's gonna fall asleep when he's reading his lines.  Blum sounds pretty different in his different Spectacular Spidey roles, and most people didn't even realize it was him, at first, actually.  Though maybe he shouldn't actually play EVERY character.  He can play half, and Dee Bradley Baker can play half.  That dude already played like a million roles in the Clone Wars cartoon. 

Hawkeye

That was a lot different though.  The first time Hank quit Jan just thought he was moping about Ultron and tried to get Tony ask Hank to rejoin the team.  We never saw how he quit after the Asgard finale, season two just started with him off the team again, so we don't know exactly how it happened.  Hank was still Hank both those times though.  He was unhappy about the violence and guilt ridden about Ultron, but with Yellowjacket he acts like a completely different person and tried to stage his death.  Jan basically begged Tony to let Hank rejoin the team as Yellowjacket because she didn't want him to be left alone, cause she was afraid of what he'd do.  Maybe sometime after Galactus things started to quiet down and Jan decided it was a good time to try to get Hank's mental health back in order.  That's true, I forgot about Vision too.  Maybe him and Ms Marvel are off dating somewhere, haha.

Yeah, that clip really sounded bland.  Maybe something really bad happened to disband the team and Tony is depressed over it which is why he sounds that way.  EMH-Tony definitely sounded playful while still being more serious and more of a leader than RDJ's Tony.  He had plenty of jokes, though clearly Jan and Clint were used more for the humor.  Don't forget Jennifer Hale as all the female voices!

Rogue_Shadow

Yeah, I guess I could see a way Jan could be off the team with Hank, but I feel like they're probably gonna act like Hank and Jan don't even exist in the new show, so they can focus on the movie Avengers.  Which brings up the question of whether they're going to explain why Widow's now part of the team, if they make it a continuation of EMH.  She never did join the team, after all.  It wouldn't be hard to explain, but they make it sound like Falcon's the only new member, even though Widow was never part of the team, either.  But we don't want Wanda getting mad and destroying the universe or something because Vison's cheating on her! haha

Pasdar kinda sounds like that in Marvel Heroes, too, though (at least, I think that's him in Marvel Heroes).  So, I think it's just his normal voice acting, though you'd think EMH Tony would be perfect for a show with the movie's cast, since he can kinda bridge the gap between RDJ-Stark and comic Stark.  Haha, I'd be fine with Hale voicing all the female characters!  Though, to be fair, that's only one character in this show, anyway, at this point.

Hawkeye

Probably.  It would be kinda long to explain Hank's already complicated history, haha, but if it does follow up on EMH they better not act like Jan and Hank were nothing.  Well, Natasha did join the Avengers in the finale against Galactus, though I think she only had like one line through the course of season two and is still apart of SHIELD.  I'm assuming she's still on friendly terms with Clint and maybe he asked her to help out the team since everyone is busy?  I do remember an interview saying that Natasha will come and go though.  She's not like the others, who are primarily focused on Avenger business.  I don't think they'll have to worry since she's over in Wolverine and the X-Men hitting on Nightcrawler, haha.

I'm not sure if it's him in Marvel Heroes, I don't remember IM's voice in that.  Yeah, it's funny they have the movie cast, but are going with a very un-RDJ like Tony.  But it seems like we might get a very un-Renner like Hawkeye, so maybe they're aim is to do just use the movie cast to get people interested and stick with comic characterizations of em.  Haha, well, I'd bet on Maria Hill showing up and I'm sure we'll get some guest stars.  My fingers are already crossed for more Mockingbird, haha.  We'll probably see Ms Marvel and Scarlet Witch at some point though!

Rogue_Shadow

She didn't really join the team in that episode, though.  I mean, half the world's superheroes were there to help out, so I don't think that really makes each one of them really an Avenger.  I can see them easily just saying that Clint asked her to join the team, but it still means that she's just as new to the team as Falcon is, you know?  But I'm kinda mad that  she's gonna be coming and going, actually, since it'd be nice to see Widow as part of the Avengers, since she wasn't part of the team in EMH.  Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that.  Maybe her dad won't approve of him, though, and he'll want her to date a robot instead?

I think it is, which would make sense because of how they're using a lot of actors who have played the characters before  Would've preferred EMH Stark, of course, though.  I hope it's an un-Renner Hawkeye, since that means it might be an interesting one!  Haven't you seen enough Mockingbird!? haha, just kidding, it'd be cool for her to make it in eventually, but we'll have to see how wide a range of characters they use for this show.  EMH did a good job of using all kinds of characters people don't see all the time, so we'll have to see if this show does as good a job of that. 

Hawkeye

Yeah, but she still worked pretty closely with the team, as well as in the Hail Hydra episode from season one so its not the Avengers don't know her or haven't worked with her before.  I can't remember if the same could be said about Falcon.  I know they initially fought him, cause he was brainwashed, but can't remember if he popped up in the Galactus episode.  EMH Falcon was definitely older, or at least acted older, than Avengers Assemble Falcon though and I think it's being said he's either Cap's or Tony's buddy.  I don't mind Natasha coming and going, because that's just how she is.  She pops onto the Avengers roster now and then, but she's not quite as many others and has her life as a spy going for.  She won't be kicking back in the mansion as much as everyone else, ya know?  I'm sure she'll still be in the show plenty.  of course, who wouldn't want their daughter to date a synthezoid!

It's kinda weird how some of the characters have their EMH voice actors, like Cap and Clint, while others have the new VA, like Widow.  Well, in that thirty second clip he's already smiled more than Renner did, haha.  I never see enough Mockingbird!  Yeah, EMH had lots of cameos and brought in lots of different villains, both the iconinc ones and the obscure.

Rogue_Shadow

Falcon did work with the team in the Galactus episode, I think, though he had no personality in the entire show, really.  He spent most of his episodes brainwashed, like you said.  Yeah, he definitely seemed older, which is another thing that makes the idea of it somehow being a continuation not sound right.  I guess it makes sense for her to not stick around all the time, though it doesn't really make that much sense for Hulk to hang around all the time, yet he does it in EMH.  To be fair, EMH Hulk is kinda different from the usual Hulk.  It's my dream to raise a daughter that dates a robot designed by another robot designed by a crazy dude. 

Yeah, I'm always excited to hear the EMH voice actors playing their characters in the game.  T'Challa has his EMH one, too, which I noticed when playing as him a little today.  I wish they would've gotten Keaton to voice Spidey, though. So, you're saying he smiled once?  Of course you never see enough Mockingbird.  There's never enough, right?

Hawkeye

Another new promo clip and this one is MUCH better!  It sounds like the guys voicing Cap and Hawkeye are following in the steps of the EMH actors cause they sound a LOT alike.  Kudos to them for not fixing what aint broken!  Hulk and Tony aren't as good though and I think Iron will be wishing for Eric Loomis back, haha.  Hulk sounds higher and not as monster-y as EMH-Hulk and we've been over how AA-Tony sounds bland and a bit higher too.  They kinda force in some movie references with Hulk repeating the "I'm always angry line" and punching Clint like he did Thor, but the animation looks nice!

Rogue_Shadow

Yeah, I'm really liking Cap's voice actor, since he sounds a lot like his EMH one.  Though I'm not really sold on a lot of the others, especially Tony and Hulk like you said, Hawk.  It's still really early to say too much about it, but it could be entertaining.  May 26th is gonna be interesting. 

Hawkeye

Yeah, ya can't tell too much about the writing from little 30 seconds clips.  But at least we have a good Cap voice actor (unlike old man Cap from MUA2) and Clint doesn't sound bad.  Hopefully Hulk and Tony will sound better in the context of the show.  Its odd though, we haven't seen or heard much of Widow.  She's supposed to be on the team too, but I only caught glimpses of her in the background.

Rogue_Shadow

Not much of Thor, either.  Don't think we've heard him talk, and I actually don't even remember seeing him show up in either of the clips.  Maybe he was in one of them and I forgot, but he hasn't really been a focus so far. 

Hawkeye

That's true, Thor hasn't spoken, but he has showed up a bit more in the videos.  I'm actually surprised how much the new video is filled with Hawkeye since he's barely in the movies.  You'd think there'd be more Iron Man, but its by large Clint speaking with a Hulk, Cap, and IM popping in with one line each.

Rogue_Shadow

So, I watched the first episode (it's free on iTunes right now), and it was pretty bad.  I won't spoil what happens for anyone, but I'm not impressed by it.  The writing is as awful as always with the Man of Action people writing it.  Every EMH episode they wrote was bad, and their Ultimate Spider-Man show is awful, of course.  The characters have pretty much all been reduced to bland, one-note personalities who make bad jokes at times that don't make any sense.  Logic also takes a big hit in many spots, as even geniuses like Tony Stark can't figure out the most obvious of things.  The voice acting is pretty poor, too.  Hulk is great as always, and Falcon is solid.  Hawkeye's voice actor is decent at best, and the same goes for Widow's.  Cap sounds super young even though he's supposed to be an experienced leader now, but he sounds like the young Chris Evans version.  Thor doesn't sound Asgardian at all.  He just sounds like a dude.  It seems like they want Tony to be like RDJ, but Pasdar doesn't play the role in a fun way at all.  He sounds like he's falling asleep as he reads the lines. 

I don't wanna go into any details before you all see the episode, but it's just not good. 

Hawkeye

I haven't watched it yet, but from the sounds of it I really don't want to.  CBR has a funny/sad article up with the creators talking about how the first season is gonna be about the Red Skull collecting together a team to fight the Avengers while saying how it's different than EMH which had complicated storylines.  Cause ya know, season one of EMH wasn't about a team up villains coming together to take on the Avengers.  Oh, wait.  Haha, but AA is gonna have Dracula!  And when you think Avengers you think Dracula.  Not silly characters like Enchantress, Baron Zemo, Abomination, Wonder Man...

Rogue_Shadow

That article didn't make me any more excited for it, that's for sure.  They talked about it like EMH was too complicated for people and called it a "joke" when someone understood comic references.  It really explains why the first episode wasn't funny at all.  They clearly don't know what the word "joke" even means. 

But I also thought it was weird how they basically said in the article that it's a continuation of EMH when it clearly isn't.  Not only are there the weird, unexplained absences, but the characters all have different personalities from EMH.  They even talk about how Tony can't lead a team, even though he led the team for most/all of EMH.  It doesn't make a lick of sense. 

Hawkeye

I know, it was on for two seasons and there's the internet and Netflix.  I'd wager most people have one or the other.

I guess they''re trying to hold off the angry EMH fans till Sunday, haha.

Rogue_Shadow

Well, it's too late!  I'm an EMH fan, and I'm angry! haha, not really.  I'm just disappointed... Not to sound like their parents or anything.  It really is too bad that Marvel doesn't seem to know what to do with their cartoons anymore, though.  They keep scrapping good ones to create new ones that are just awful. 

Iron24

So guys over at superherohype they had a quick article about the show and that it was available at itunes. Read the comments from people who had watched it and every one of them said it sucked! They all missed EMH and don't know what Marvel is thinking.

So Marvel has it together for their movies but are being pretty clueless about Avengers. EMH was great, was not complicated at all unless you were under 8 years old. I am not sure what the writers at Marvel are thinking when they make statements like that but man I would like to be able to talk to them and set them straight. Based on Rogue's review and another several from the site I mentioned I have very little desire to invest any time into the show, kinda sad.