30 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 2:16 AM by Ashyzgamez RSS

Just got DDoS'd

DontBanMyAccounts

yup, as the title says, i just got DDoS'd, i was playing Domination at standoff and killed a guy capping B, i heard ''Ok, that's enough'', then i lagged and got DC'd from xbox live, then the whole internet at my house, that happened about 20 mins ago, i just got internet again, and thanks to the ''name and shame'' rule i cant name him, :/

• Re: Just got DDoS'd
    nicedrewishfela

No, you can't name him.. but you can report him.

starbuckfrack

Microsoft wont really do anything to him. you need to file a report with your ISP.

BAREWarrior

Is this really happening that much or are people just using it as a scape goat? I never been DDOS'd, never even heard of it before 2 weeks ago. Has this happened before BO 2?

trialstardragon

According to some it is common on the pc, but for console.. it is not so common. It is very hard to do on the console with out having someway to see the ip addy's. Something that not all console gamers know how to do.

Dr_QuiCKScOP3r

Back in MW3, all you need to do is force host and use MW3SA tool and you can kick anyone. The tool was intended to be used against hackers but some abused it.

BAREWarrior

Yeah but this is like the 3rd or 4th DDOS the past week or so, I can't really find it all legit, I mean bomb the us blame terrorists, every attack now is terrorists....Maybe its just the shitty connection, and people are just using excuses. Kinda like the boosters who come in "Idk why i got reset, my son didn't do anything wrong" or the emblem people "Its not offensive, It was only a swastika!" lol

DontBanMyAccounts

it isnt an excuse for the connection i had back in the game, it was a perfect game -conection based- everyone but a friend had 4 bars, and the game was running smoothly.

squirrelness

I've had it happen to me twice, once in MW3 and once on the original BO.  Both times it was after 'bantering' between games.   After it got a bit more heated than it should have the person basically threatened to 'hack' us, haha.  Didn't think anything of it and then, after the next game started well, the wife and I are suddenly lagging, followed by a quick disconnect from LIVE.  Lost all internet for a while.  First time I called our ISP who confirmed it was a DDOS attack, the second time I just assumed.

Hasn't happened to me on this game...yet, haha.

starbuckfrack

My opinion is that it is very rare. You still need to go thru a lot of trouble to DDOS anyone.

Its just not worth the time or the risk of getting in trouble with the federales.

teflon_skull

DoS and DDoS are not a lot of trouble.  DoS tools have been available for longer than most people on here have been alive.  Botnets/Zombies for DDoS are also prevelent thanks to the plethora of unpatched systems on high bandwidth networks in various countries.  Run a logging stateful inspection firewall or a decent IDS/NIDS for a few days and tail the logs.  You'd be surprised how many random scans and scans from your neighbors of your own ISP you will get constantly.  You might even get some surprise outgoing data.

Getting your IP when players are hosting games is trivial.  Get a party of players/friends with known IPs and it's easier to figure out who is who.  It's also trivial to use legit tools to rate limit/throttle or disconnect those players connected to you when you are host.

Federal Authorities will not get involved until a threshold of monetary expense is reached.

Contact your ISP.  Give them logs or at least the time of day.  Consider that most of the people who would DoS or DDoS you will not be doing so from their own connection and that a lot of it will come from foreign countries.  Nothing will be done as they won't invest the resources to pursue for a single residential customer over a disconnect with no financial impact.  Welcome to the internet.

starbuckfrack

What I mean is its not worth the trouble to go in the other room and find the guys IP and flood them when you are playing a game.

Sure some people are lazy enough to keep a laptop next to them in the living room but even those people are too lazy to go take a leak.

Most people would rather curse at thier TV or throw their controller than go thru extra steps.

So your are telling me that people will spend the time to contact an outside source then that outside source would just jump right away on the ddos project you called them on at a drop of the hat ?

"Hey Bill, this is Matt. some guy just kicked my tail in Black Ops. Can you stop everything you are doing right now so you can kick him offline? " Meanwhile that guy that you wanted to DDOS isnt even in the same game as you anymore becuase he jumped the lobby 10 minutes ago.

In all the time I have been gaming (5 years on just the xbox) I have NEVER been victim of a DDOS attack and yes I play League. And All I really have is a basic docsis 3.0 connection with no bells and whistles. No REAL connection / firewall setup than the average gamer.

I just find it strange that I have been ddosed 0 times since 1990 but meanwhile some people have it happen to them 3 or 4 times in a day ???

BAREWarrior

Agree! 1000000% I think people are just jumpin on the bangwagon. Its the cool thing to say.

teflon_skull

Most of those 'lazy' people would rather cheat than actually play the game they payed for.  A simple shell script automates the process with very few typed characters.  You don't have to DDoS someone to disconnect them from yourself, and the game, if you are host.  It's a single line command to drop all packets to and from them so they time out. 

Just because you haven't been or seen it, doesn't mean it's not real.  I've seen live server hacks in progress.  I've visited irc channels with people openly trading CC data.  I've denied account setup of 12 people who cleared bank checks because they all had different names, addresses, and phone numbers but all had the same .ru email address.  I've turned in numerous firewall logs that scanned the multiple IPs I used to have with a former ISP on an sdsl connection.  As someone that used to frequent IRC servers, I have been DoS'd a moderate amount of times.  Data centers get robbed at gunpoint.  People steal entire DBs of CC and customer info.  This stuff happens. 

None of what I described about DoS, DDoS, or disconnects takes any real intelligence to use.  Legit tools can be used for nefarious purposes.  Nefarious tools can be downloaded for free and require little to no knowledge to use.  Why?  Because most of them also contain malware that infects the person using them and makes their system part of a spam/zombie/malware spreading network.  These people are not usually real hackers. 

I never said the OP was DoS'd or DDoS'd.  I was only stating it does or can happen with relative ease.

RallyOrDie

I always got DDOSed in Halo 2/3.  I also got DDOSed in WAW/MW2/BO/MW3 Gamebattles.  I get DDOSed every now and then if someone gets own too much by me.  I actually got kicked off XBL once, and knew the guy doing it, and kept sending him XBL messages on my phone saying, "You suck at DDOSing me." and he replied,  "How do you keep messaging me when you can't get online?"

DDOSing is more common than you think.  If you ever hang around a GB group of people you start hearing it happen more often and it happen to you more often because people can only win if they cheat.

starbuckfrack

So you dont report him to Xbox Live for harrassment and he doesnt report you either . Hmmm ?

Doesnt matter if I am around people HEARING it happened, without any actual proof then it didnt happen.

If someone DDOSed me I would file a report and keep filing until the Feds knocked on their door.

owiseguyo

Only game I ever cheated in was Halo 2. Anyone who was over level 37 was almost required to have the Cain and Able host fetcher programs. Because if you didn't steal the host illegally, the other team sure as heck would and when that happened, 90% of the time you would get into a modded game or a revolving lag switch game where you had absolutely no chance of even getting one kill. Other then that, I never felt the need to glitch(unless just for fun in Private matches) or cheat. What's the point? You don't get better at the game by cheating. If mediocre players feel this is the only way they can be good at a game, then thAts sad enough in itself. I'm glad they are now getting banned pretty fast for glitching, boosting exc. thank god for theatre mode in almost every game these days.

Err0r_6_Is_Back1_LOL

yes it been around for a while.. there are programs that can capture Ip address, they put it in a flooder and lag you out of the game and out of xbox/psn/pc

Ashyzgamez

It Happens Alot On Games on PC that have user created servers, like battlefield 3 its illegal but its not very common on console

Ashyzgamez

It Happens Alot On Games on PC that have user created servers, like battlefield 3 its illegal but its not very common on console it can result in 10 years time in jail :/

anahum

When I played Halo this was common (1 in 10 games playing in a party of 4 50s).  I'm pretty surprised to learn that similar occurrances are being reported in Call of Duty.

Try using a VPN, otherwise, it must be an accepted evil in something good as there is no way to avoid it. You will have to stomach the loss, put a smile on, and move on. Filing complaints never hurts either. It does catch up eventually.

BAREWarrior

VPN 's can get you console banned, Starbuckfrack posted the links on the other DDOS thread. Maybe he'll do it again lol. And if you can get banned for DDoS'ing, why aren't people reporting it? We cry about boosters but not hackers? Hello, if they can boot you from XBL then they can probably get vital info off your internet connection.

starbuckfrack

Nah not twice in the same week

It is funny how people claim they got ddosed but refuse to report it .

you cant get banned off xbox Live for DDOSing because it takes too much legal action on Microsoft and dealing with your ISP.

BUT you can get permanently kicked off an ISP and have the FBI antiterrorist team look up your butt with a microscope.

rlbl

Why would using a VPN get you console banned!?

TheSurgeon83

I've had something similar happen but I'm pretty sure it was the result of someone dashboarding, the game froze, screen went black and console wouldn't respond. I had to turn it off at the socket and when I restarted I couldn't get online for 10 minutes. Only happened 2/3 times since game release.

zingaa

Is this the same as IP Booting? I thought you had to be in a party with them? Maybe I'm stating two different things here.

starbuckfrack

About three months ago I posted a link that a kid was arrested DDOSing Xbox Live Gamers.

I just cant remember if he got 10 years or not.

here it is...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-10-uk-teen-arrested-for-call-of-duty-d dos

BAREWarrior

From Starbuckfrack from that other DDoS is frequent thread, this is why VPN is no bueno (No good)

•  

Its all over xbox dot com. Here is a quote http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/27/p/486845/2338518.aspx The use of a VPN is prohibited as per the Terms of Service you agreed to when you created your account. Should you disregard that contract you leave your account open to enforcement action up to and/or including a permanent ban.
      Once an account is permanently banned from XBL everything associated with it is forfeit including; gamer score, ms points, subscription time, DLC and game saves.
      And here ...

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/9/t/21811.aspx
      I can't believe an XBL Ambassador & Community Expert is honestly explaining to someone how to violate the XBL Terms of Service. What you describe below most certainly is a violation of the XBL Terms of Service. ANY network manipulation is not allowed. If the use of a VPN is not allowed what would make you think the below method would be? Any attempts to redirect the XBL service from one region to another to gain access to it or any of its content is forbidden and will result in a permanent account/console ban from XBL when you (I mean this in general) are caught.

Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows LIVE Terms of Use

4.   Using the Service.You must not:
      • resell or redistribute the Service or any part of it; use any means we don’t authorize to modify, reroute, or gain access to the Service or attempt to carry out these activities;
      • use any unauthorized third-party software, service, or device to access the Service;
      • disrupt, or try to gain unauthorized access to any account, computer, hardware, or network related to the Service;
      • •     use or attempt to use any unauthorized means to modify, reroute, or gain access to the Services;
      Here is someone who got banned... http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?p=13515115