38 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 6:27 PM by brewcastleunited RSS

I Might Sit This One Out

brewcastleunited

The reason why I might pass on the next COD actually has nothing to do with COD at all. We're at an unprecedented juncture with regard to online multi-player gaming for the COD series. Later this year the transition to the PS4 will begin and I never consider it wise to snap up the new gaming consoles soon after they are launched (bugs, flaws etc.). I waited a solid year or 2 before I picked up my PS3 and in that time I took a hiatus from console gaming for the most part. I prefer Infinity Ward's COD titles over Treyarch's - so I don't really want to miss out on the next COD - but I'm worried about what the transition will do to the player base for the game. At this point I'm guessing the PS3 holdouts will outnumber the PS4 pioneers for COD ghosts - but will the multi-player quality suffer badly due to the fragmented player base? This coupled with the fact that Ghosts will be on a new engine (yes, there will be bugs) makes me think it might be time to take a break from FPS online gaming for a while. On the other hand there's a lot of time between now and November to change my mind....we'll see.......

• Re: I Might Sit This One Out
    ghamorra

I'm worried about the transition too. I'm not really sure what to do because there's a lot of games coming out for the PS4 that I want to play. I'm not sure what to do but I'll most likely end up getting the PS4 on release day

brewcastleunited

COD is probably the only reason I'm considering defying my own logic and picking up a PS4 on or soon after it's release. But, will I be doing this only to draw on a small player base while most people are still playing on PS3....or will it be the other way around? I also recall how many of those original "fat" PS3's started to die back in 2009 - those poor guys paid that higher early price for those things while I paid $300 for my PS3 slim that's still working great to this day (even after locking up hundreds of times during my Black Ops 2 experience). I almost feel like I should go with a PS4 right away, take the risk and accept the fact that I'll be paying a premium (which I can easily afford) - but if I bite the bullet only to find 50000 players online I will be pissed. That's why I'm considering taking a break altogether.

surridge1990

What you should take into account is that although there may not be many players on on release day, the holidays are roughly a month after the release, i would imagine alot of people will be given them as gifts so numbers will steadily increase,

Not everyone will have the spare money for the new console on release day, some might be waiting for birthdays later in 2014 before they can get hold of them,

I think gradually over the course of ghosts lifespan we will slowly start seeing more and more next gen gamers appearing,

Black ops 1 currently has roughly 50-75 thousand players online (last time i checked its usually been between those two figures) and ive never had a problem finding a game. Sometimes its abit slow because theres not as many lobbies for the game to choose from but i always manage to get in a game eventually,

r8edtripx

brewcastleunited wrote:

COD is probably the only reason I'm considering defying my own logic and picking up a PS4 on or soon after it's release. But, will I be doing this only to draw on a small player base while most people are still playing on PS3....or will it be the other way around? I also recall how many of those original "fat" PS3's started to die back in 2009 - those poor guys paid that higher early price for those things while I paid $300 for my PS3 slim that's still working great to this day (even after locking up hundreds of times during my Black Ops 2 experience). I almost feel like I should go with a PS4 right away, take the risk and accept the fact that I'll be paying a premium (which I can easily afford) - but if I bite the bullet only to find 50000 players online I will be pissed. That's why I'm considering taking a break altogether.

If you can easily afford it, then hell yeah, just go for it. Why not buy both consoles?

Izjar11

ghamorra wrote:

I'm worried about the transition too. I'm not really sure what to do because there's a lot of games coming out for the PS4 that I want to play. I'm not sure what to do but I'll most likely end up getting the PS4 on release day

I dont think the transition will be a problem, what I think might be though is the amount of players on the new system vs the old.

nflfenatic

I think your mind has already been made for you. My brother tried to preorder the ps4 a couple of weeks back and there is nowhere left to get one. At least  around here.

rlbl

I hear you..

I for one have already bought my PS4; as well I am not buying the next COD on release.  I am not buying a console to play a game... I am buying to play games (as G pointed out above)

otisman666

I am holding off.  I have a sinking feeling that this whole game is going to troublesome, to say the least.  Let's face it, MW3 was a step backwards from MW2 and COD:4.  The devs couldn't even apply patches effectively.  Now we expect them to IMRPOVE upon this and release the game for not only next gen consoles, but the current ones too?

Let's face it, the PS3 crowd was never fist in line when it came to patches or service.  Where do you think they will stand once the Xbone and PS4 are released?  I mean it could be worse, I guess the Wii U will get worse service, but still.

I don't blame you for considering the pass on this year's installment.  I am too, but I am waiting to see what the game is offering when it comes to MP and that sort of stuff.

DecisiveBlow

You have a point or five in there.

If G IH A IN ID II is still in there somewhere, I really hope they do improve for his sake. A little worried that none of the improvements they mentioned to the game were netcode, with all the videos around and complaints - it's obvious that was the area that needed a whole revamp.

That said, I can't wait for Destiny, inFamous and Killzone. They look amazing as well as Ubisofts racing game (forgot the name). And for the most of these games, they'll make the best of the PS4. Xbox has 8GB of RAM, take away 3GB for the system itself and your have left 5GB to play with. PS4 has 8GB, rumored 1GB for the system and your left with 7GB to play with. So, as Activision are humping Microsofts wallet we'll no doubt get the usual sub-par games when there's plenty that will be out there to satisfy what ever genre tickles your fancy.

You're going to have to offer me more than just interactive maps and a dog to play with. I have a dog at home, whaft food in its face and it'll pretty much do anything for it.

BigBabyBossgrip

I think waiting a while makes a lot of sense.  Right now, I have no idea which company will have the larger customer base. My money is on Sony, however, Microsoft may stage a comeback.  I'm not impressed by what I have seen of Ghosts so far. The dog gimmick isn't going to sell any copies.  But, I'll wait to see what multiplayer looks like.  From what I have heard, lag will still be an issue.  But, I feel good about IW being in the driver's seat. 

iAmEFFeX

I am really worried about the split player community as well. After GTA 5 drops, I'm not buying anymore current gen games. I'm picking up the launch PS4 and moving on. So, I suppose that means if I want to play COD, I'm picking it up for PS4.

I have other concerns other than less players online. There are a lot of games coming out that seem to be taking advatage of the next gen hardware better. Sure, we have only seen a taste of what is to come with Ghosts, but I'm afraid it's more of the same. I was really hoping they'd break new ground, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

I'll keep a close eye on it throughout the next few months, but if they aren't making any effort, I'm moving on and it really feels terrible saying that as I love this game.

iivrruummii

I have to say that I am not worried about the transition.  I am more worried about not having as many friends to play with but I can easily make friends online.  I will have to say that even if the consoles are buggy upon release I don't think it takes away from the experience unless everything is completely unplayable.

I think that the transition will be harder for the Xbox 360 users than the PS3 users to the PS4 because they have to start from scratch, and that is one reason why I decided to stick with Xbox because I have all my friends and progress with Xbox.

MrAdaptability

Speaking as a PC gamer, even if the console playerbase was split in half, which let's be honest the majority are not going to pick up the PS4/Xbone right away. You would have no problems with getting into games. BLOPS2 on PC at this point peaks at about 25k-30k players and that is during double XP weekends, outside of that anything over 19k is unusual. Now take a look at console and the fact that a new COD game will have anywhere between 300-650k players online(varying by platform) at any given time within the first few weeks. Now even if you split that in half you will still have nearly 10 times the amount of players that we do on PC and we get along just fine. So I think if I were you I'd stick with my PS3 for this year's release and possibly even next years as well.

NoLifeKing29

I'm not worried at all about the transition to next gen, I dont need people to play with, just against. I am worried about Hardcore game modes, streak spam, support streaks, and poor weapon balance.

thebigb82

I am skipping this game for ps4 atleast, I don't like the fact like they did with the ps3, that they refuse to talk about it, all we get is "soon" like that helps. I will see what my friends think of the game, then i will reconsider my postion, till then, killzone and battlefield 4

slyd0g55

you worry too much, mind you, the longer you take, the further behind you will be stats wise and understanding the game , then you'll get frustrated on being killed often....maybe

Shadowgate

Now that BF4 supports no respawn I have no reason to play cod unless they make modes for us. Search is to rushed!

brewcastleunited

This is an update to my original post in June. I haven't touched my PS3 since July while I was still fooling with MW2 (I haven't touched Black Ops 2 since I hit PM back in early May). It's getting back to the shorter, colder days of late fall / winter so I'm considering getting back into online gaming as opposed to my other pursuits (flying / building gas powered rc airplanes / weekends down the shore etc.). However I'm definitely going to wait for PS4 before even considering fooling with COD Ghosts - and even then I've decided I'll put these forums to good use by watching what you guys have to say about the game on here before I decide whether or not to invest the time in making another run at the annual Call of Duty march to maximum prestige. I'm afraid I'm still a little cynical after pretty much burning out of online gaming / COD - that was largely due to the fact that I forced myself to endure the Black Ops 2 mess all the way up to Prestige Master (and once I hit PM that was my very last game!). Well, good luck to you guys that are picking this game up right away on 11/5 - I hope the game plays well for you all!