18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2013 9:23 AM by UndreamtStone RSS

BO2 is dead while CoD4 thrives

ProperDedisNeeded

The other night I was playing CoD4, and realizing how populated it was I decided to do a little rough math to estimate the playercount. With my filters set to exclude only modded and empty servers, there were over 7,500 populated servers..

Now around 100 or so had under 15 players, but lets be generous and knock off 500 servers...

Most of them had between 15-30 players (with more than a few over 50+) but again lets be generous and round them all down to 15...

7,000 servers at 15 players per server is 105,000 players.... That's more than Black Ops 2 has ever had!!! and it was the middle of the night!!! (2:00 am PST to be precise)

At that same time Black Ops 2 had less than 300 players  = meaning CoD4 had over 350 times as many players.  (and that doesn't even count the 4,000+ modded servers!!)

105,000 players at 2:00 am without even counting modded servers.... It's highly likely that CoD4 breaks 200,000 players daily.   Just imagine how populated Black Ops 2 would have been if it had the same style of servers as CoD4. 

Edit: 

It appears that the population is actually peaking around midnight to 3:00 am my time (which unless I'm mistaken is primetime in the UK)    -

I've yet to see less than 4,000 servers populated, which is around 60,000 players... Highest I've seen it since making this thread is 7,834 servers...

Safe to say it's peaking over 110,000 players daily.... and even during it's "downtime" there's still easily 2-3 times as many players as BO2. 

Black Ops 2 is dead while CoD4 thrives... The PC community have quite clearly shown what it is they truly prefer.  Matchmaking and it's supporters belong on consoles.

• Re: BO2 is dead while CoD4 thrives
    Momba1

I don't know where you're getting your numbers from but it's closer to <5K~6K players and anyone can startup as a server. Also, prior to BO2 there was rampant piracy so I'd guess three-forth's of the 'players' aren't legit and are playing a pirated and often hacked game.

-LB-Anheuser

guess it depends where you look......Xfire still has pretty good numbers......and that doesnt include the ones that play without it.......

so his numbers may not be far off......BO2 is dying.....when i play in my evening time CST (9-11 pm) i am lucky to see the game show 4,000 players.....

ProperDedisNeeded

I get my numbers from the server browser... It showed over 7,500 servers populated.. I could scroll down the list and see all the servers full of people.  At the time I'm writing this it shows over 5,000 populated servers up... (still not counting the thousands of modded servers)   Plus quite a few of them have over 40-50 players...

True anyone can start up a server, but then again I'm only counting populated servers, so people are playing on them. 

I have no clue how you counted and only came up with around 200... Sounds like you were counting the population of WaW lol...  Is your game patched up to date?

Momba1

I'm sorry if 'Sorting' flew over your head, it was simple: if it had 33 then down 3 = 100, if it had 25 then down 4 = 100, if it had 20 then down 5 = 100, if it had 10 then down 10 = 100, etc and count. If you think I didn't just copy/paste ha! Most of the servers had 0 (zero) players, the whole process took ~ 2 minutes -- try it.

ProperDedisNeeded

Momba1 wrote:

I'm sorry if 'Sorting' flew over your head, it was simple: if it had 33 then down 3 = 100, if it had 25 then down 4 = 100, if it had 20 then down 5 = 100, if it had 10 then down 3 = 100, etc and count. If you think I didn't just copy/paste ha! Most of the servers had 0 (zero) players, the whole process took ~ 2 minutes -- try it.

Really?

I've made it beyond clear that I am speaking of POPULATED servers... yet you saw fit to use EMPTY servers as part of your "sorting" argument...  

There are 22 servers per "page" in the browser.. As of this moment, sorted by playercount, there's one full page of servers with over 50+ players... that's 22 servers at 50 players each (rounding down) = 1100  - and three pages of servers with over 40+ players... that's 66 servers at 40 each (rounding down) = 2640  -- That's 3,740 players so far and we've only counted 88 of the 4,500+ servers that are POPULATED...

The numbers speak for themselves. Anyone with an up to date version of CoD4 can open up the server browser  and see thousands of populated servers FULL of players...   If you're not seeing them then there's something wrong with your game.

Black Ops 2 is dead while Call of Duty 4 is thriving.

Momba1

Sort them by player count and then LOOK with your EYES and COUNT. Your numbers are meaningless.

Yeah it would be a hell of a lot easier if there was a total player count -- I sure in the hell didn't program their stupidity.

BTW - In no stretch of anyone's imagination am I suggesting the BLOPS2 on the PC isn't dead and a fail. WTF do you think I purchased an Xbox copy?! The problem in your post are your OMG wrong player count numbers.

kennyg9

The vast majority of thos "populated" servers are populated by bots. Sorry to inform you. But yeah, there are probably more players. But that's been true with the last 4 versions. Plus you can play it on a 5 year old laptop.

VelvetUnicor

I gave cod4 a try yesterday after reading this thread.  It was really refreshing, and there sure are lots of people over there.  However, in one server I joined I had a really good start, gong 10-0 or something within the first minute, and someone on the other team thought I was a hacker, So what did he do? He started full on aimbotting and walling me from across the map, saying that he was "punishing me for hacking".  At least on blops 2 I dont have people walling against me because I do well, but cod4 sure was fun before that incident.

Momba1

No on BLOPS2 there's a Waller in just about every lobby but instead always-on. The older CoD titles are plagued with hackers.

ProperDedisNeeded

VelvetUnicor wrote:

I gave cod4 a try yesterday after reading this thread.  It was really refreshing, and there sure are lots of people over there.  However, in one server I joined I had a really good start, gong 10-0 or something within the first minute, and someone on the other team thought I was a hacker, So what did he do? He started full on aimbotting and walling me from across the map, saying that he was "punishing me for hacking".  At least on blops 2 I dont have people walling against me because I do well, but cod4 sure was fun before that incident.

Your only mistake was playing on a server without any admins...  I have a good half dozen servers in my favorites list, and all of them are heavily adminned.... meaning no hackers at all.

In Black Ops 2 you may THINK there are no hackers... but that's only because they have to try to hide their hacks or risk a TAC ban...  In reality the # of people hacking in BO2 is through the roof, it's just not noticeable unless you REALLY look..  Instead of using "snap" aimbots and wallhacks, they use low level "aim assist" type aimbots, and 24/7 uav hacks instead of wallhacks (so they aren't staring at walls looking for enemies)

Black Ops 2 is completely overrun with hackers, whereas on CoD4 they are only on non-adminned servers...  Stay on servers with admins and there are no hackers.   

Momba1

ProperDedisNeeded wrote:

Your only mistake was playing on a server without any admins...  I have a good half dozen servers in my favorites list, and all of them are heavily adminned.... meaning no hackers at all.

IF (IFFFFFF) only on BLOPS2!!!!!!!

It would be a very interesting game IF there were not cheaters, my guess is that there would be 10X~20X the number of PC players all salivating for every new DLC and folks actually 'nice' to one another in the lobbies. Again, IF ... there was a BLOPS Heaven.

UndreamtStone

they could still bring it back with your updates and solutions...but I fear all is lost on codbo2...sad too...there were a lot of us playing regularly...but have seen my 60 friends drop to about 10 that still play...just not regularly

Starbuck_OS

now if only 99.99% of the servers on COD4 weren't HARDCORE.

lw-dragon

It's been a little while since I have been in COD4 but I don't have to go into the game to say that there isn't a 200,000 daily playerbase. I don't track COD4 numbers anymore but the highest peak player count since COD4 this series has seen has been in MW2 on January 18th 2010 at 124,682. Next to that would be the first Black Ops on November 15th, 2010 at 120,587.

Trust me; I have been tracking the numbers for years

ProperDedisNeeded

lw-dragon wrote:

It's been a little while since I have been in COD4 but I don't have to go into the game to say that there isn't a 200,000 daily playerbase.

Well I've been tracking it over the past week, and it turns out you are correct..

It appears that the population is actually peaking around midnight to 3:00 am my time (which unless I'm mistaken is primetime in the UK)    -

I've yet to see less than 4,000 servers populated, which is around 60,000 players... Highest I've seen it since making this thread is 7,834 servers...

Safe to say it's peaking over 110,000 players daily.... and even during it's "downtime" there's still easily 2-3 times as many players as BO2. 

richard_ks

ohhh yeahhh   !  I think we would get along great ... exactly the same opinion about the lobby system, I also