10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2013 10:51 AM by MrZombieClowns RSS

Lag compensation fix advice - Virgin media UK- TP-Link WDR3600 or similar set up

SPESH

Evening Ladies and Gentleman,

I have purchased a router due to the highly frustrating and anger making lag I have been experiencing before giving up on this game altogether.

If there are any threads or web pages anyone can recomend, would be very helpful, I have tried googling but not really getting very good results, hence starting a thread.

Purchased a TP-LInk WDR3600.

I have set my (virgin media UK) superhub to cable modem mode and fed the internet connection into router.

Assigned PS3 a static IP as per the various guides online (192.168.1.124).

Router > general set up

• Wan set to dynamic picking up the ISP's settings.
  • DCHP enabled (range 192.168.1.100 - 199)
  • DCHP Client list - have assined PS3 Mac address to above IP.
  • Cloned mac address.
  • Disabled firewall.
  • Wired conenction into PS3.
  • Forwarding: enabled DMZ to PS3  IP.
  • Tested all working fine.

Router > bandwith control

> Bandwidth Control Rules List

I have set a rule for the PS3 to limit the engress, wasn't sure what to put in the download so put in some random figures.

IDDescriptionEgress Bandwidth(Kbps) Ingress Bandwidth(Kbps) EnableModify
MinMaxMinMax
1192.168.1.12415025610002500000Modify Delete

Questions

Have just played a few rounds, it seems slighlty better in general, but still vairous sitiuations where people suddenly appear closer or next to me, or behind me with a big knife. And I am still experiencing dying and watching the replay to see a different version than I experienced along with the other joyful lagging, annoying, hateful, annoying, stupid, laggy things.

• Have I set it up right or is this he best I'm gonna get?
  • Do I need to log into the router and switch it off when I want to watch movies or other content on PS3?
  • And same as above for other games?

Advice appreciated.

Peas.

• Re: Lag compensation fix advice - Virgin media UK- TP-Link WDR3600 or similar set up
    Highwayman0226

Honestly, I gave up tweaking my connection to get a better experience.  I just enable UPnP and use the auto settings.  There is no difference between that and hours of tinkering.  I've accepted that it's just the game.

• Re: Lag compensation fix advice - Virgin media UK- TP-Link WDR3600 or similar set up
    rlbl

There is no fix for lag compensation... and there is nothing you can do about it.

Learn what it is, then you will realise this and stop farting around for 1 game (there is a message there if you think about it: 1 game)

Highwayman has it right

ghamorra

Lag compensation doesn't need fixed, because lag compensation isn't broken

SPESH

Anyone actually want to help or just smart A&@ unhelpful comments?

Staticon

1) Do you have the Hardware NAT feature enabled for your router?

2) You should try limiting your PS3 upload (egress) to 192kbps or 160kbps, instead of 256kbps.

milo-iq

I'm not technically minded so the only advice I can give is try other COD's it seems different games lag. And what ever set up i have lag is worse for me on BLOPS2 than the others, MW3 ok and MW2 the last time i played it was also ok, When in a lobby with French real bad but with yanks even on BLOPS2 real good I only play HC as the lag is not as severe or the results as its quicker TTK arent as noticable. Im on BT standard if that helps.

ScrewURoundEYE

Listen you need to actually read and comprehend what ghamorra and rlbl just stated. Regardless of what videos are out there and what some people say "works" or "helps", nothing will "FIX" COD lag issues until Activision/Treyarch/IW or whatever next studio comes along and does a few things:

Create a Brand New, Next-Gen Engine – The internet and its high speeds have come a long way in the last 5 years and the engine that is used, at its barebones, is older than COD itself. It’s time for something new, not modded year after year.

Fix the Net Coding & Matchmaking-  For what it’s worth gamers around the COD franchise have repeadtly said, MW2 was the most fluid and smooth playing COD ever, with phenomenal hit detection and a great match making set-up. No online game will ever be 100% perfect with no lag, but for the fast paced world we play in when it comes to COD, this is as good as it has ever been.

Maps - I personally believe that the map size and layouts also helped MW2 feel as good as it did. Too much CQC and small maps have made the way the last few incarnations of COD feel real laggy. Too much action in a small area will lag down these small maps and cause issues.

Filter Out The Crap Connections - Gamers connecting through 3G/4G hot spots, DSL internet or crap Satellite internet are dragging down the matchmaking as well. I’m sorry but the future of video games is going online. There needs to be a time where games that use Peer-to-Peer hosting like COD, that do not have dedicated servers, need to set requirements to play online multiplayer games. Just like on PC, your computer needs to meet certain requirements and be compatible to install and play the game online, Console online games need to move to that model as well. You should need to have so much available bandwidth, speed and ping to be able to enter servers.

I have hardwired my PS3 straight to my modem. - That did not help.
    I connected wirelessly. - That did not help
    I used a weak Wi-Fi signal from a nearby café. - That did not help
    I also have a TP-Link router with bandwidth control and tried several combos of up and down speeds and that did not help.

I always have an open NAT and even with my router set at 256/512 Min/Max for both Up and Down speed, I still manage to pull host, that should not happen.

It is clearly an issue with matchmaking and esp. with Black Ops II, the broken camera issue, Lag compensation actually works brilliantly, but it cannot help itself, to get out of its own way when there are so many variables thrown at it.

Everyone needs to also understand this, what you see on the Internet and esp. YT is all about VIEWS!!
    Do you know how much time and how many games are usually played by a YT’er to get that epic game play you see? Even someone that may post a 3-4 videos a day probably spent 8-10 hours playing multiple matches to record a couple videos where they actually got something they felt represents a good game for them, most times they gameplay that is good they ran into a team that might as well been AFK.

Do you not realize that some of these videos are actually choreographed as well? It’s not hard esp. if you a YT’er with decent number of followers to get friends and a few followers to set-up gameplay.

The point is, you can’t believe everything that is on the internet and especially on You Tube, if you do, I have a special deal on the Brooklyn Bridge.

hyper72

Treyarch don't give a shyt  next maps pack out soon please buy it lol.... Another £12 I've saved..... There nothing you can do your end to make the game play better its treyarch only that can make the difference....