29 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2013 2:40 AM by kylet345 RSS

CoD Is Still Better Than Other FPS Games

RemoteViewer187

While it may be easy to attribute CoD's success to it's more accessible arcade-style gameplay, the developers do many other things right that make it stand out.

From the instant you start the game, it's simple: Campaign, Multiplayer, or Zombies.

There's no need to fill out a form to find a server. You just select a game mode and you are all set.

The animations are smooth. There is no jerky robotic feeling when you run around and use weapons. You spend the entire game looking at those animations, and they make sure they appear as natural as possible.

The ranking system, weapon unlocks, challenges, etc. are neatly organized.

The create a class system (pick 10 or previous CoDs) is fairly self explanatory.

Your friends list is a button away, sorting them by who's online and what they are doing. You can then join, invite, check stats, etc. easily.

There are more control setup options than other games (which still amazes me, how difficult can it be?).

There is more customization overall (playercard, emblem, camo, # of create a class spots and names).

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:

There is obviously the issue of lag and hit detection. It can be improved, but it will still be a factor.

Pre-release weapon tweaking needs to be handled better. Even though the developers don't test their game worldwide to see how weapons perform outside of LAN connections, there is no excuse for dozens of post-release nerfs and buffs. The first time I tested weapons in alone in private mode, it was OBVIOUS what needed to be changed.

One thing I admire about Battlefield and Arma is their more realistic map graphics and sound. Many people dislike the jerky "realistic" sway when walking and running, but the environments generally appear more realistic in terms of light, shading, and color. The sound is more realistic with echoes and the weapons sound more true to life than manufactured.

• Re: CoD Is Still Better Than Other FPS Games
    rlbl

Your title is subjective, and simply an opinion not shared by everyone.

The opinion, however, is shared by myself as well as many others as well..

Izjar11

Theres a reason this game outsells many other FPS. I've played other games and I end up comparing them to COD, and this game is the one that feels "smoothest" to me.

Overall yes its been a good game to me.

hyper72

It was better but it seems to be getting worse from mw3 now black ops 2 where did they go so wrong..... What next ghost......;(

sstang1

Is there room for improvement ? - YES

Does any game do it better ? - NO

So its Call of Duty for me.

Hells_Hawk

Best FPS of all time: No

For me though it is the best all around as must FPS I play do not have a story. (Free to play PC ones)

For me Call of Duty does not do everything the best, they just simply have everything they need. If you break each part of the multiplayer down, I would not be surprised it Call of Duty was not even in the top ten, but it is my favorite fps on console. (That really is not saying a lot though.)

squirt magoo

I love the COD series, but have been seriously let down with the last 2 instalments, because multiplay has been appalling for me. I flirted with BF3 for a while and thought the multiplay was superior in terms of lag and hit detection, less WTF moments if you like. But the game just wasn't for me, and so i have popped back to Blops1 where i can have a reasonable multiplay experience.

TRU11

TBH i liked MAG more but they stopped adding stuff to that game so it kind of faded away.

BF looks great but i dont like how it plays.

its not that hard to do good but objective games there have even bigger idiots then here.

so without a better option its cod for me as well lol.

i still stand by that MW was the best out of the series that i played with MW2 and WAW coming in next up.

but i think most have to do with the community back then and the better overall connection.

EvoSBA

honestly i used to love call of duty , but the love ended after BO1 , Not being funny but battlefield 3 is an overal better game than mw3 and bops 2 , battlefield 4 will be 32 v 32 dedicated servers 60fps on the xbox one and ps4 , not being funny but call of duty ghosts cannot match that which ever way you look at it .

6 v 6 or 9 v 9 p2p hosting 60fps seems pretty boring really .

honestly though killzone 2 was fantastic battlefield bad company 2 was fantastic , bf3 is really good .

its just that call of duty is easier and more noob friendly than the other FPS games out ,there is definately not a steep learning curve

sennalike

Better? Maybe.

More popular?  Definitely.

To me though CoD is comparable to taking a daily dump.  Sometimes it is very unpleasant, sometimes it is plain and simple.  But with the current vast number of boosters, most of the time it's just a relief to get the experience out the way and move on to something more interesting.

TRU11

sennalike wrote:

Better? Maybe.

More popular?  Definitely.

To me though CoD is comparable to taking a daily dump.  Sometimes it is very unpleasant, sometimes it is plain and simple.  But with the current vast number of boosters, most of the time it's just a relief to get the experience out the way and move on to something more interesting.

best description ever lol

Thembones

Cod is just a popular series thats it.

Best FPS game out there no not even close.

Look at IW there building up so much hype on their new game. They are finally catching up on technolgy thats been around since ps3/360 came out.

And of course Ghost will again break records again why? Well hype of course.

InstantOG

CoD is easy not better.

kylet345

If this game was easy, then we wouldn't have noobs.

gotsomestars

This game IS easy that's WHY there is so many noobs.

kylet345

That doesn't make any sense. So, the game is easy and that's why we have bad players? I'm pretty sure if the game was easy that there would be more better players.

TRU11

do you seriously think COD is not an easy game to play???

even noobs can get kills in this game.

if they by accident press the trigger button they could actually hip fire kill someone lol.

hip fire have never been this easy before.

you dont even need a perk anymore and a certain attachement has the lock on future fighter pilots would die for.

InstantOG

The game is easy so bad players can play it and do good instead of going to BF or Halo where it takes some form of prior skill to be decent. You can't pick up BF or halo and expect to do good after the 2nd week but on CoD 2 weeks will make you on par with most of the casuals.

kylet345

Determining skill across two/three different games that do not even play somewhat similar to each other doesn't mean anything. In fact, I'm pretty sure that when BF3 first came out, I thought it was the easiest thing ever. Guns barely had any recoil, it was simple to aim, etc. Also, you do recognize that the casuals are some of the worst players right? No offense to any casual that can actually get some streaks together and stuff, but the majority of the player base are the casuals and most of them (from what I see in lobbies/matches) are horrible.

EvoSBA

if you think call of duty is hard ,then go play ANY other fps game and you will see just how easy cod is

ab36

I agree. Call of Duty is one of the most accessible shooters out there, which is part of the reason why it sells so well. I still think that it is something that is rather easy to get good at, but not necessarily so easy to be "great" at though. Don't get me wrong, it's arguably much harder to become "great" at the more difficult shooters of course, but there's still some element of learning curve and a disparity between the good and great players. The big difference with Call of Duty is that it caters to the casual players and makes it so easy for them to play, which isn't necessarily bad, but it kind of dilutes the game for the people that are more skilled, since the skilled players can be taken out by some of the messed up stuff that the series is known for lol

People could even try playing Call of Duty 4 or WaW, and see how much more difficult it was then. The guns actually had recoil, I recall going back to Call of Duty 4 after playing Black Ops 2 for months, I could hardly aim at first lol

kylet345

I've played FPS games such as Team Fortress 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3. Also add in the fact I've been played Call of Duty since CoD 3. I find these games just as easy to do good in as CoD (the first thing I did on BC2 is max out the Recon class, which is supposed to be the harder class to do good with).

Taz-MrT3R-

I have to diagree with your whole post. COD is not the BEST FPS. Nor is it close. As InstantOG said COD is just EASY.

ab36

Personally I used to think Call of Duty was the best. Black Ops 1 was my favorite at the time (still is now probably), it wasn't the most realistic, or the most difficult, but it felt like the best imo.

Nowadays, there aren't that many great FPS out there imo. I don't think Call of Duty is the best anymore, it's the smoothest largely because of the 60FPS (which Black Ops 2 seems to have actually struggled to maintain sometimes), but it's not the best. Sadly I don't really know what is the best though. I think that at this point, saying Call of Duty is "better" than other FPS says more about the FPS genre as a whole and how it's kind of lacking, rather than showing how "great" Call of Duty is now. Because I don't think Call of Duty is great anymore. It's just that there haven't been too many other great FPS to take its spot (there have been great games, but few have really definitively taken the top spot).

However, I feel like this is going to change in the next year or two. Destiny is a possibly great game, even Titanfall (which kind of disappointed me after a while after the initial excitement I had watching the E3 trailer) could be better than Call of Duty. Now the shooter that I (and many others) expect to really break through this generation is Battlefield 4, which looked like Battlefield 3.5 until they showed the multiplayer at E3. Just amazing imo. 60FPS too, which takes away a huge advantage that Call of Duty had, and 64 players on consoles, which means less time running around the map trying to find people. The rest of the genre seems to be stepping up while Call of Duty remains stagnant or moving backwards, so unless they really do something great again like Call of Duty 4 or Black Ops 1, I don't think there will be much room to say Call of Duty is much better than many other FPS out there (even though plenty FPS fans already think Call of Duty is stale).