11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2013 2:39 PM by Dr_QuiCKScOP3r RSS

Camping- tested-results

CowboySr

These are the results of a mildly interesting test I've been running over the course of the year to proof/disprove that theory of camping in TDM and how anyone can do well if they just camp.    With my main GT account I'd like to say that I love to use snipers the traditional way, I didnt run around like a chicken with my head cut off, I tried to team up with clanmates to control choke points and we usually won. After hitting MAX prestige a couple months ago, I noticed most of my friends wouldnt play this anymore. It was difficult for me to keep a strategic playstyle without teammates that bought in to it. So I decided since I have a family pack, that I would play around with my other GT, and run around reckless in TDM in order to see how much different my stats would look.  So many times I hear the argument that you cant have that K/D unless you sit in corners, all you do is camp.

So after racking up thousands of kills on my other GT running around like a chicken, heres the results.   My K/D is almost identical running around like a headless chicken . about 6% lower-not significant considering the difference could be explained by just not having those friends/teammates I had with the other GT. My SPM went up 49 points per minute and my W/L is lower- for obvious reasons.

So basically my mildly interesting conclusion is that camping vs RnGing has almost no impact on how well you shoot or play.

• Re: Camping- tested-results
    codchamp

I have always thought the same thing. My only gripe with camping in TDM, Many times it will not change spawn points for the team. The few games of TDM that i have played solo. I was forced to spawn in the same location over and over because of the few teammates that were camping. This in turn created a kind of spawn trap you could say for those of us that were trying to get out of that location.

CowboySr

When I used to play with a group, we would control the spawns and cover choke points. Not control the spawns to create a spawn trap, as thats not something we would do, but to keep them from spawning 10 feet behind us. The rule was to get to the dominant half of the map, each was assigned an area, and we control choke points-never overlooking spawns. Quite frankly even if I knew how to do that I wouldnt. As long as nobody went past the half way marker, nobody ever spawns behind you. Its been like that for the past couple of CODs where spawns have gotten worse due to the maps being so tiny. We've come so close to multiple shutouts on Hijacked, and then a grenade gets someone

snorubit

The old scientific method!

Back in Modern Warfare I played in a community series of bouts. The first was UK vs. North America, we alternated hosts etc. and this came out a draw (we ran 8 matches intentionally to create the opportunity).

The second was Campers vs. R&G and it ended 7-1 in favor of the R&G. I would also say that these were both better than average R&G as well as Campers.

I play aggressively myself and have yet to run into a passive group who could come out on top as long as you are playing smart. They are always at the mercy of their opponents tempo and gameplay and do not dictate the pace. Now, if they are facing enemies with no creativity who just run headlong into the fire repeatedly they may take the W.

Luckily there are many out there who will give themselves up on a platter.

Regardless, well done on trying out both. Out of curiosity, what was your KD and SPM for both approaches?

CowboySr

Before everyone quit playing, we were unbeatable for the most part. I would have loved to go up against you.  TDM Camp K/D 3.12 SPM 189   RnG K/D 2.94 SPM 238. 

I really prefer having a team of friends, and controlling because it makes people rage that they cant do anything about it.  Theres something funny about that. Now that everyones quit, I am the headless chicken, and my left thumb hurts every day from pressing in on the thumbstick.

Side story: I've been playing SnD lately for the adrenaline and last night I found a group of guys who were good and I asked them to pick me up. Im a +2/1 SnD player who usually leads the room in SPM. So they picked me up and I went 0-5 LOL. I was so pissed and was like I cant believe these guys pick me up and thats the one time I go 0-5 in SnD, perhaps ever!    They dumped me. I felt like the kid that got picked last in dodgeball. I jumped in their party real quick after only to hear one of them say "just ghost him".   OMG I left the room quickly in shame and cried a bit, then laughed.

snorubit

Classic story- the pressure to perform can do wonders on your actual performance!

We really had a good time running those bouts and it was all completely good natured and sporting. Ages ranged from Teens to Forties. Thanks for posting the numbers, particularly with regard to the SPM.

I have a lower KD (2.04) but significantly higher SPM [granted I play a lot of Dom too] and the balance of the two components is interesting. 

P.S. like you most of my regulars no longer play and I run solo 90% of the time, even in Dom. You in the states?

CowboySr

I was looking at SPM for TDM only, not my overall as that number is useless. There is such a disparity between the different game modes in SPM that you cant blend them together.  Example. SnD SPM is like 100 where as kill confirmed is like 350.    I dont know at 3arch decided that they wanted nobody to play search anymore, but man good luck leveling up if thats your favorite game mode. TDM isnt much better, and those are my two favorite modes.

deamonomic

CowboySr wrote:

Before everyone quit playing, we were unbeatable for the most part. I would have loved to go up against you.  TDM Camp K/D 3.12 SPM 189   RnG K/D 2.94 SPM 238. 

I really prefer having a team of friends, and controlling because it makes people rage that they cant do anything about it.  Theres something funny about that. Now that everyones quit, I am the headless chicken, and my left thumb hurts every day from pressing in on the thumbstick.

Side story: I've been playing SnD lately for the adrenaline and last night I found a group of guys who were good and I asked them to pick me up. Im a +2/1 SnD player who usually leads the room in SPM. So they picked me up and I went 0-5 LOL. I was so pissed and was like I cant believe these guys pick me up and thats the one time I go 0-5 in SnD, perhaps ever!    They dumped me. I felt like the kid that got picked last in dodgeball. I jumped in their party real quick after only to hear one of them say "just ghost him".   OMG I left the room quickly in shame and cried a bit, then laughed.

I love playing against coordinated campers XD they are the most fun.

Devi0us

Sorry but you're not R and G with a spm that low. I am a cautious player in tdm I tend to hold down points or use my team mates as cannon fodder and I have a 260 spm. For me your spm would be 300+ minimum if you're r and g!