42 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2014 1:20 PM by Z1GMA RSS

Squads - Everything known so far

maccabi

Chatting on twitter today I noticed quite a few people seem to have completely missed Squads and just how potentially awesome Squads will be (personal opinion) So I thought I'd do a little write up explaining the pertinent points.

What is Squads?

Squads is a new feature being added to Ghosts, Think of it as combat training on steriods with an element of management and tactics thrown in to make it just that more in depth. Squads allows you ,or you and friends to outfit a team to battle it out against other players and their squads or solely against other Ai squads other players have made.

Ghosts has had a team working specificaly on Ai players,to beef up their intelligence and the way they play and react on screen, In ghosts the Ai you face in multiplayer will act more like real players and less like dumb computer controlled players.

It's a great way to play solo or to team up with a friend and have some real fun .The best part your squad and your own character will level up as you play.

At present Squads has been announced as a mode that will allow any map and any mode to be played but this may change before launch.

It's upto you how you outfit your squad , so as you would in a normal mulitplayer match you need to decide not just for yourself but for your entire team what class load outs is going to win you the match. But theres a twist here too.. it's possible for your squad to be challenged when you are offline! So you need to consider a good all round defensive/offensive class loadout if you arent going to be playing as someone could challange your squad and no one likes losing especially when you are offline. You can also earn xp in this offline mode as well which is a great addition (assuming your team isnt made up of the sort of players I sometimes get lumbered with when I game solo

Game modes in Squads

Squad v Squad - You and either 5 squad mates (or you can sub one ai squad member for a friend as co-op) against another player and their squad/squad+friend.

WarGame - This is most similar to combat training, you and your ai squad take on another ai squad.

Squad Assualt - you can chose to challenge either one of your offline friends or a random players squads to a match. The offline players squad chooses the map and mode and if they are sucessful in winning that squad earns xp. You will also get a notification that your squad is playing via elite or whatever its called now .

Safeguard - If you liked spec ops in mw3 this is the mode for you, unlike spec ops you can now co-op with upto 4 players for some serious wave killing action.

I think squads will really be something alot of players will love, it allows you to play solo or co-op , and is great if you want to have that full multiplayer expereince without having to deal with wondering if the rest of your team is just going to sit there doing 360's noscopes off of buildings ignoring the objective ,

• Re: Squads - Everything known so far
    IronSight8

So will there be 2 separate Win/Loss Ratios? Because it would be frustrating to know that your squad is engaged in a challenge while you can't be online.

IKEELU20

Will it be possible to spectate your own squad of 6 in a theater to see how they played offline? It would be extremely helpful if we could see how they played. We could make changes based off of what we saw instead of saying maybe I should take out the sniper becuase we lost. They sniper may have been very good to the squad and we never knew it.

r8edtripx

IKEELU20 wrote:

Will it be possible to spectate your own squad of 6 in a theater to see how they played offline? It would be extremely helpful if we could see how they played. We could make changes based off of what we saw instead of saying maybe I should take out the sniper becuase we lost. They sniper may have been very good to the squad and we never knew it.

That's a great idea! It'd be like watching film after the football game. Nice!

Submit2MyWill

I don't really care about watching them, but I am curious to know if you can see the After-Action report on the matches they played in, so you can tweak their classes and weapons.

IKEELU20

Submit2MyWill wrote:

I don't really care about watching them, but I am curious to know if you can see the After-Action report on the matches they played in, so you can tweak their classes and weapons.

The AAR would be misleading. You may think in Dom ok this guy went 7-11 with 2 caps and 5 Defends but you won't know if he was helping the team at crutial moments. For example the team may be losing by 2 and your team was about to cap B but there are 2 guys trying to kill the people on B. If the sniper makes crutial moments success you may want to keep him on the team even though he had a bad game.

Submit2MyWill

That's true, but if you looked at aggregate data and trends over time, you could see that a certain soldier underperformed with a certain loadout on certain maps.

trialstardragon

That is why in squads you get to choose which map and game mode your sqaud will defend. The attacking player does not get to chose this as far as I know. It is the defending squad that has the choice over the map and mode. So you build your squad to one map and one game mode specific for your squad will only play on that map and game mode when challenged.

Submit2MyWill

trialstardragon wrote:

That is why in squads you get to choose which map and game mode your sqaud will defend. The attacking player does not get to chose this as far as I know. It is the defending squad that has the choice over the map and mode. So you build your squad to one map and one game mode specific for your squad will only play on that map and game mode when challenged.

I know. I just want to be sure that I can see the AARs from the matches they engage in.

trialstardragon

You probably will have to see the results in elite or something. May not be a replay, but maybe overview of the entire match. I would think they would add soemthing like this so players could fine tune their squads as needed. something along the lines of w/l and k/d leaderboard result for the match. should include what streaks your squad managed to get and used too. So you could custom tailor the streak pacakage for each member.

I sort of wish in creat a squad it worked like forza's create a driver where you could teach your squad and improve them by going over previsous battles and giving a up or down vote for actions taken.

ie; you get sniper rushing in to battle too much and not supporting from a long range and dieing, you could vote down and the sniper would do it less the next match.

ie; a smg users is trying to kill players from too far away vote down, but then vote up on when they were rushing/flanking more and using the smg its its respective range more as should be.

like how a squad commander would do in the real thing, giving each member critique on how they performed for the last mission to improve peformance.

Submit2MyWill

trialstardragon wrote:

You probably will have to see the results in elite or something. May not be a replay, but maybe overview of the entire match. I would think they would add soemthing like this so players could fine tune their squads as needed. something along the lines of w/l and k/d leaderboard result for the match. should include what streaks your squad managed to get and used too. So you could custom tailor the streak pacakage for each member.

I sort of wish in creat a squad it worked like forza's create a driver where you could teach your squad and improve them by going over previsous battles and giving a up or down vote for actions taken.

ie; you get sniper rushing in to battle too much and not supporting from a long range and dieing, you could vote down and the sniper would do it less the next match.

ie; a smg users is trying to kill players from too far away vote down, but then vote up on when they were rushing/flanking more and using the smg its its respective range more as should be.

like how a squad commander would do in the real thing, giving each member critique on how they performed for the last mission to improve peformance.

I agree. That's exactly what I want.

maccabi

IKEELU20 wrote:

Theres no theatre option in ghosts so I think this would be very unlikely

Z1GMA

You can definitely spec your squad. Just ignore the Choose Loadout when the match begins.
      I've done it alot and its awesome.

r8edtripx

Squads definitely has potential. I have a few friends that started getting into COD with Black Ops 1, and they decided to skip on MW3 when they found out there wasn't a combat training mode. (They weren't quite good enough at the time to play online without getting massacred.) They've been loving Black Ops 2, as have I, and now they're pumped for Ghosts.

Of course, now they're good enough to do well online, but we're still excited to check out Squads.  We're already talking smack about who's squad is going to beat whose.

trialstardragon

One thing you forgot to mention is how the player gets to chose the map and game mode their squad will defend on when challenged. This way a player can create a squad specific to one game mode and map and not have to worry if they perform well on all game modes and maps all the time.

dtuchpunk

You can have up to 10 squad members. So can you make more squads of 6 for different modes and maps or do you select up to 6 that play when you're offline?

Because on a certain map you would like maybe 1 sniper 1 lmg 2 ar's and 2 smg's,but on other map instead of an lmg you want a shotty.

genki.sudo

Honestly, this system looks just garbage.. If I will want to dress 10 barbies, I will play diablo 3.. If I want to play skillful match, I will play against human players. In the end, bots will be dumb as ever. I really hope this system will not be as annoying as it looks like ATM.

I also hope that this squad system will not bring any levelling / equipping / prestiging restrictions when compared to previous CoD.

Submit2MyWill

I think it's a game changer. Simply brilliant.

I'm really excited about managing my squad and tuning their classes for each map. I also think it'll be fun to play your friends' squads and trash talk them after you win

Really great innovation by IW and thinking outside the box.

maccabi

Submit2MyWill wrote:

I think it's a game changer. Simply brilliant.

I'm really excited about managing my squad and tuning their classes for each map. I also think it'll be fun to play your friends' squads and trash talk them after you win

Really great innovation by IW and thinking outside the box.

/agreed I can easily see this being the sleeper hit of ghosts its got so much potential and postives for everyone who plays.

ghamorra

I'm most excited about this gamemode.

maccabi

Iw just released the trailer for squads mode you can watch it here

youtu.be/eLlxLx8FSuE

jesbro123

Just saw the Trailer and here are the official descriptions of all the playlists within squads mode.

Squad Assault: Lead your Squad against another player's squad at their Home Base! Your friends can fight in your squad or you can choose to battle their squad. Players: 1-6

Squad vs Squad: Put your squad to the test by going head-to-head with another player and their squad. Players: 1 vs 1

Safeguard: Face increasingly difficult odds as hordes of enemies assault your team. Survive 20 rounds to win. Players: 1-4

Safeguard Extended: Face increasingly difficult odds as hordes of enemies assault your team. Survive 40 rounds to win. Players: 1-4

Safeguard Infinate: Face increasingly difficult odds as hordes of enemies assault your team. No Round Limit. See how long you can last. Players: 1-4

Wargame: Pit your squad against a team of bots. You can recruit friends to fight in your squad. Players: 1-6

affinityXX

Squads is going to be a HUGE SELLING POINT if

it can really be played solo (and can be played solo OFFLINE too for Wargame and Safeguard),

and wargame supporting all multiplayer modes and maps),  

and Create a Soldier is accessible offline too!!!!   

I would buy 2 copies of Call of Duty Ghosts if that is the case!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QZFDvozNJE

Looking awesome,  it looks like Squads has its own menu independant from Multiplayer, and Create a Soldier option exists

within Squads menus too,  so there is a great chance Squads will be playable solo offline also!!   I also plan to play online

but a MASSIVE purchase incentive is being able to play Squads offline solo as well with the created soldiers along with fighting a.i. bots.    If so, this is going to be one of the most addicting modes and features in the whole industry!!!!! 

riffy08

I haven't played squads yet, but am interested in hearing opinions of those that have...One thought I have jokingly have, is that if I'm defending, why wouldn't I set up my entire squad with LMG's, IED's and trophies? 

WhyNoName

I've played squads a bit - mostly squad assault.  To be honest, I was expecting quite a bit more from this mode given the amount of hype they put towards the entire squad addition.  The XP cap makes the mode pretty much useless for players who dominate bots.  2000xp per match in the scheme of things in this game is a drop in the bucket.

The only useful things I've gotten out of playing squads:

Learn the maps without having to deal with "vets" online.

Earn squad points to apply to your class so you can be ready to play against "vets" without having a lackluster class.

Play with my wife and not have to worry about being thrown into some random game.

In the end, I wish they would have simply not spent the time on squads and spent more time on map design, spawn locations, and esports (not a competitive player, but I enjoy watching it and at this point, the pros are having a difficult time with the game due to the current lack of esports integration and codcaster mode along with no Hardpoint or CTF).

Squads to me was a huge letdown.

dtuchpunk

I could not find how I can play against friend with his squad with my squad. I can find challenges friends squad but that's not hinm playing only AI.So maccabi? Or should a ask in support?

paulie446

It's too bad squad play has so many questions.  I think it's a great leap forward, and so far I'm enjoying it!

A few questions of my own though.

First, I decided to practice squads on "local play". I created my first soldier, as well as all 7 loadouts. I then realized I have 6 other squadies to loadout, each with 7 slots.  I thought maybe I could copy a loadout from the first soldier I created and paste the loadout to another squad member, but no luck.  So I decided to just create one loadout per squad member, each serving a particular function (didn't feel like doing 7 loadouts for 7 squad members).

THEN when I went to online squad play, none of the soldiers I created (from my "local" squad) were there.  So do I REALLY have to create 7 soldiers with 7 loadouts each for LOCAL play, then do it all over again for online play?  That seems kind of ridiculous. You should be able to just create a soldier and squad and that's it, no matter what. I get that you have to earn squad points for online squads, that makes sense.  But I dunno...maybe I'm missing something?

Also, for the past few days I've been playing "local squads" and they're all still level 1. I'm winning most of my matches, but I noticed that the other AI squads I'm playing on local play have higher/different levels. How/why is this? And why are my guys not leveling up?

If anyone can answer this for me, I'd appreciate it!