11 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2013 5:32 AM by OUHATEME Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Modify mini-map to only show mates...

LifeSong1

I personally don't think it should be removed. I am a HC player and I personally think the mini-map should be visible all the time even to HC players (blasphemy I know)...BUT I think it should only show teammates until a UAV is called in.  The UAV shows the red dots and unsilenced guns.  Without a UAV it is only ever teammates.

In HC:TDM I will hit Start (showing the mini map) probably 30 times a game.  I'm pretty quick at it and I get very few deaths because of it.  Often to know where my teammates are more so than the enemies because knowing where my teammates are tells me where the enemy is likely at or going to be coming from.

One of my main arguments behind this is because COD still has issues with showing a name through a window.  Thus, if I see someone running through a window of a car I don't know if it is a teammate or an enemy. In HC, this often results in a team kill.  I can't know where every player is going every second of the game no matter how good the communication is (assuming you have a lot of runners and gunners).  The mini-map would show me that I have a teammate running in front of me.  If they could ever fix the issue with names not showing up I'd be much happier.  It's also very frustrating to have to hit the start button just to see the map.  It wouldn't give one team any advantage over the other. All it does is show you where your teammates are (already available just through a quick glance at the start menu) so why not always show it (with my suggestions above)?

• Re: Modify mini-map to only show mates...
    rankismet

@LifeSong1 I branched this... wasn't trying to step on any toes. I think this idea is step in the right direction.

maccabi

LifeSong1 wrote:

I am a HC player and I personally think the mini-map should be visible all the time even to HC players (blasphemy I know)...

yes that is blasphemy and yes we will now be forced to tar and feather you and class you as a outcost in the hc community

rankismet

maccabi wrote:

LifeSong1 wrote:

I am a HC player and I personally think the mini-map should be visible all the time even to HC players (blasphemy I know)...

yes that is blasphemy and yes we will now be forced to tar and feather you and class you as a outcost in the hc community

Shouldn't that be tar and fluff?

LifeSong1

I just don't see why that would affect play that much if I have the radar as I suggested.  I play HC more purely because you have less health and you die in a more realistic way.  It isn't because I enjoy not knowing how much ammo I have left, or how close I am to the next score streak. I don't see how removing these items affects game play that much. So I know where my teammates are or know how much ammo I have.  Why is that such a big deal to anyone?  I've been asking them to re-think the HC concept for a while.  Question why it is the way it is and can/should it be changed. Ask that question for everything (amount of health, all aspects of the HUD, respawn times, game modes, etc). Rethink the entire thing. Many things will stay the same and some may change, but the game has evolved over the years but these aspects haven't changed almost at all.

rankismet

LifeSong1 wrote:

I just don't see why that would affect play that much if I have the radar as I suggested.  I play HC more purely because you have less health and you die in a more realistic way.  It isn't because I enjoy not knowing how much ammo I have left, or how close I am to the next score streak. I don't see how removing these items affects game play that much. So I know where my teammates are or know how much ammo I have.  Why is that such a big deal to anyone?  I've been asking them to re-think the HC concept for a while.  Question why it is the way it is and can/should it be changed. Ask that question for everything (amount of health, all aspects of the HUD, respawn times, game modes, etc). Rethink the entire thing. Many things will stay the same and some may change, but the game has evolved over the years but these aspects haven't changed almost at all.

Less screen clutter is a real plus for a lot of HC players like maccabi and myself.

Having the mini-map only show mates instead of enemies is a step in the right direction because it shifts the focus of the map from enemy dots to teamwork.

trialstardragon

It has an effect on game play because it reduces the need for communication. without the mini-map players have to or should be communicating more about where they are and when they died and where the enemy was that killed them if they know. With the mini-map this is not required since players can see where each other is and when a players icon goes dark. It becomes more about who gets the most kills on their own and less about team play and effort.

trialstardragon

I'll go get the tar and feathers, you get the rope to tie them up with.

maccabi

one of the reasons i like hardcore is theres no faff on the screen and that included the minimap.

minimaps are the single worst addition to the fps genre i much prefered games when you just used your eyes

_call_of_duty_fan

I think for hardcore there should be a mini map, but with a catch. It's not on your HUD, instead you have to use your Phone(the one you use to call in point streaks). Press/hold down a button(I don't know which one it should be), and your avatar equips the phone and you see the mini map.

OUHATEME

Have to disagree with you on this one. with a constant mini map up even if it is just teammates it would allow you to see if you are getting flanked, by the disappearing teammates. Which since a lot of teams do not communicate it would ruin some of my running through them by allowing them to see on the mini map there teammates getting killed giving them an idea where I am coming from. Also when flanking like this seeing how the other team reacts sort of let's you know if the other team is communicating . I get what your saying with the team recognition being what it is can cause some tk , but I am more on the side of since it is hc that communication is what puts some teams over others and the mini map would allow for less.  Looking foreward to see how hc will be on ghosts . On a side note this spell checker is horrible. I typed in "getting" and it tried to replace it with " keg totting "