1 2 3 Previous Next 139 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 11:12 PM by RunAndGun1 RSS

My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design

scotland-rules

Hey,

So all I've seen so far is medium to small maps for CoD Ghosts and I really don't want the game to be full of small CQC maps. I have seen some medium maps and the designs look better e.g. you have elevation and space but in all honesty I don't see any big maps.

I really have enjoyed the CoD series except from BO2  because the maps were tiny and subsequently the maps made the spawning system terrible.

So does anyone share my worry about the map design?

• 1. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    maccabi

it comes down to what you consider a large map really?

The problem with large maps is you end up with alot of dead space that's hardly ever used by players.

Whiteout is what i'd consider a big map

octane was kinda small but felt alot bigger when i played, same goes for strikezone (but due to the kem strike you basically have two maps in one there)

Chasm is what id consider a medium sized map but its got multiple levels to it

• 2. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    dtuchpunk

Large maps can mean empty spaces without players.
    Or it should be groundwar only maps. Some of the big WaW maps where to big with 12 players. You could walk around for minutes without seening an enemy

• 3. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    maccabi

dtuchpunk wrote:

Large maps can mean empty spaces without players.
    Or it should be groundwar only maps. Some of the big WaW maps where to big with 12 players. You could walk around for minutes without seening an enemy

some of the w@w maps were stupidly big seelow for example..

• 4. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    adw1983

Not stupidly big.

Stupidly bad designed.

The easiest thing in the world is making a massive map where everyone SPAWNS seeing everyone else, 350 meters away.

Then add objects and terrain to the map, and even a monkey can design the map so that you can STILL make it so that players see eacother very often OR all the time.

Add buildings, and there still is no problem.

Add stupid amounts of 5 exit buildings with unecessary and unrealistic 2.5 meter walls all around them, obscene amounts of clutter -- half of it clearly placed there for a very specific purpose, useless outhouses that only serve as dedicated camping positions, caves that act as shortcuts and camp positions, accessible 5 exit sewers, secret holes in Grandma's attic leading into a nuclear underground reactor with 163 windows each leading to a ladder leading to a silo with exactly 15 degrees field of view into no-spawn no-nothing areas AND add banners, massive signposts, impenetrable trees and bushes 15 meters in front of every single window and thereby blocking every single long sightline except the select few "3 obvious/contrived dedicated sniper sightlines developers add in only because of snipers" -- which obivously are going to be ruined by holes in walls and everything else in the map design catering to killing people in those positions, making them undefendable..

THAT is where the past 4 cods have failed miserably.

That is also where CoD4 succeeded massively:

CoD4 has the best maps of all CoDs thus far.

• 5. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    ModernWelfare

CQC maps also lack dead ends and are full of flanks (esp. flanks in would be defensable positions), clutter (esp. in corners and would be good hiding spots), with an abundance of excessive barrier sizes on all objects, plants, and anything else that can be used to hide in. The homes in BO2 are a joke when they have atleast 4 diferent entrances. Everytime I play BO2, I feel like I'm trapped in an arena. The maps are so simple, without all the nooks and crannies of a more diverse map. It's just a clutterfk rushfest with no real strategy or freedom of play style. The game really only caters to one play style and kind of imposes it with its Ghost perk requirement. I think the exclusion of unlimited sprinting and shotguns that aren't such hitmarker machines like in the last CoD with good maps (MW2) already indicates how the maps on Ghosts will be if Infinity Ward thinks that their inclusion will be OP and unbalanced. If Ghosts is the same, I'm going BF4.

• 6. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    scotland-rules

I wouldn't say the map was stupidly designed or too big. It was partly because of the tanks...the game needed bigger maps and lanes for the tanks. When I played the map I played as a sniper and had an SMG on backup for those CQC moments. The map is massive and I do agree that it was pushing it. But I was thinking of maps like Estate, Afghan, Crash, Wasteland...those kind of maps.

I mean even BO1 had resonable maps like Villa, Silo, Hanger, Array,

You get the picture, you didn't feel like you were constantly under threat but you didn't feel like you were out the action for more than 15-20 seconds.

• 7. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    scotland-rules

Well yes but to be honest these maps offer diversity.....I'm sick of the 3 lane turnout black Ops 2 had. The maps were crap with little invitation....basically there are very few sniper maps or sniper spots...

The sight lines are gone on almost every maps because of the fact the devs put so much useless junk around the place. Take big maps in BO2 like Turbine, they've cut off most big sight lines by a bridge, trees, mountains. Look at aftermath...its a big map but plays like a small one.

• 8. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    scotland-rules

ModernWelfare wrote:

CQC maps also lack dead ends and are full of flanks (esp. flanks in would be defensable positions), clutter (esp. in corners and would be good hiding spots), with an abundance of excessive barrier sizes on all objects, plants, and anything else that can be used to hide in. The homes in BO2 are a joke when they have atleast 4 diferent entrances. Everytime I play BO2, I feel like I'm trapped in an arena. The maps are so simple, without all the nooks and crannies of a more diverse map. It's just a clutterfk rushfest with no real strategy or freedom of play style. The game really only caters to one play style and kind of imposes it with its Ghost perk requirement. I think the exclusion of unlimited sprinting and shotguns that aren't such hitmarker machines like in the last CoD with good maps (MW2) already indicates how the maps on Ghosts will be if Infinity Ward thinks that their inclusion will be OP and unbalanced. If Ghosts is the same, I'm going BF4.

This is very well said. I too will stop playing ghosts early on if its as tiny as BO2. I'll be trying out BF4 for sure.

• 9. Re: My biggest worry about CoD Ghosts: Map Design
    maccabi

adw1983 wrote:

Not stupidly big.

Stupidly bad designed.

The easiest thing in the world is making a massive map where everyone SPAWNS seeing everyone else, 350 meters away.

Then add objects and terrain to the map, and even a monkey can design the map so that you can STILL make it so that players see eacother very often OR all the time.

Add buildings, and there still is no problem.

i'f its so easy I await your map design eagerly ,

1 2 3 Previous Next