6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2013 5:06 PM by kevev99 RSS

What I have learned from playing almost 1 year of Black Ops 2...

allnyguy

Preface: I am an adult gamer ( 40 years old, wife, kid, full time job ) and play Blop2 recreationally and in no way consider myself an VERY GOOD FPS player, but instead think I am good/passable. I understand the maps/spawns and understand the rules of the game types I play and consider myself a good team player.

When Blop2 came out, I spent a good portion of a month watching videos online, youtube, of assorted players and really enjoyed what I saw and decided by the end of November to go out and purchase it for my xbox 360. Now, from what I had seen online, blop2 seemed like a very team/goal oriented game with a lot of communication and teamwork ( mistake #1: I spent too much time watching players who played on teams/clans and witnessed their brand of teamwork, not what is normal for public/online play). So when I jumped online for public matches, I was surprised to find that I was one of the only people talking and communicating in most matches. But I just chalked it up to me being new and maybe people not trusting me or something like that.

Now, I had my normal growing pains, having never played a FPS before, but after a couple months, I got the hang of it and had gone from a .75 kdr and 30% winning percentage to a 1.10 kdr and nearly a 50% winning percentage. Unfortunately, I found in public matches, what I had seen when I started was still there and nothing had changed in the way of teammates and objective-based play.

(note: due to my hours/life, most of the people I am friends with online are not on at the times I play, so it is hard for me to have a consistent team and mostly have to go with randoms in league play)

It is then that I decided to jumped into league play in hope of finding teamwork and enjoyable gameplay. BUT, once again, I found that league play was full of people who didn't communicate nor played the objective. I would have my mic on and call out enemy positions and try to organize my team, but rarely did it ever do any good. I would constantly find myself outgunned and outmatched by players, such as myself, who knew how to actually play objective based games. And to this day, it is basically the same. Players jump into League play blindly, figuring if they can just slay in public matches, so they should be able to in league play. Don’t get me wrong, some of them can and actually succeed, but most just become annoyances for those of us who actually enjoy the strategy/teamwork portion of the game and find it ruined by someone who rage quits after 2 minutes or spends the entire time spinning in a circle in the corner, thinking it is funny to ruin other people’s games. It is unfortunate that the ratio or good player to bad player is grossly unbalanced in league play.

What I have learned about Black Ops 2 is that the majority of its players are selfish, immature and lack any knowledge of what being a teammate is or how to play the objective. They are more pre-occupied with trying to get “diamond” camo or make an emblem of an ass/breasts (thinking in their immature minds that it is funny) or get their precious KDR as high as possible rather than trying to win games or play objectives, even in league play. I cannot count how many times I have been left 3v4 or 2v4 because of players quickly dropping out of games because they got killed 2 or 3 times in a row and fearing their precious KDR would be forever ruined quickly disconnect or rage out because they just don’t understand how to play blop2 and get out-played at every turn. Little do they know that if they actually took the time to learn the game/maps/spawns/objectives and communicate and work as a team, they would perform considerably better and enjoy their gameplay 100% more then they currently do.

KDR/Diamond Camos’/ High Score Streaks/ Nuclear Kill Streaks have ruined online gameplay by forcing the player to be selfish and greedy in my opinion. Until a game such as this is not based completely on individuality, it will fail in my eyes considerably as a team/objective based game. I know that I am not in the minority when it comes to this and have heard from many people online that they are experiencing the same feelings/results and just don’t play anymore because of it. Because of this past year, I maybe find myself online maybe once a week, playing for maybe 2-3 hours and then just forgetting about the game, finding the frustration of online play just too much to bear lately… pity. I still carry a decent winning percentage and a kdr over 1.10, but find it just too frustrating to put up with the garbage that comes along with online play lately.

Future: I had reserved Ghosts when it first was announced and was sort of excited for a change, but was disappointed on what I saw in the release trailers and online gameplay already released.  From what I have seen, the graphics are not really an improvement and maybe even a slight step down from Blop2. Then I see that there is no “league play” in Ghosts and realize that the majority of online play will be public matches and all I foresee is more of what I currently see in blop2, no thank you.

I have terminated my pre-order for COD: Ghosts and replaced it with BF4. From what I have seen and from what others have told me, BF is more geared toward teamwork, rewarding players with higher XP for doing team oriented play and not individual play. There are no scorestreaks or "diamond camo" for people to concentrate on, bonus. I think it is time to make the change and see if BF is all that COD failed to be.

• Re: What I have learned from playing almost 1 year of Black Ops 2...
    Izjar11

When Blop2 came out, I spent a good portion of a month watching videos online, youtube, of assorted players and really enjoyed what I saw and decided by the end of November to go out and purchase it for my xbox 360.

Smart thing to do.

. So when I jumped online for public matches, I was surprised to find that I was one of the only people talking and communicating in most matches. But I just chalked it up to me being new and maybe people not trusting me or something like that.

this is not new, been playing these games for three years now and its rare to find someone you can connect with online. Never expect to find everyone to be on the same level as you, and on this game much less. When playing solo, I occasionally listen to what others say and sometimes I interact depending on whats already being said.

It is unfortunate that the ratio or good player to bad player is grossly unbalanced in league play.

Ive been talking about how the community is much to blame for how the game plays: The quitters, the cheaters (boosters, glitch people), the "trolls", the non objective players, the hopescopers, etc. This game plays well, when the community allows it.

Future: I had reserved Ghosts when it first was announced and was sort of excited for a change, but was disappointed on what I saw in the release trailers and online gameplay already released.  From what I have seen, the graphics are not really an improvement and maybe even a slight step down from Blop2. Then I see that there is no “league play” in Ghosts and realize that the majority of online play will be public matches and all I foresee is more of what I currently see in blop2, no thank you.

I have terminated my pre-order for COD: Ghosts and replaced it with BF4. From what I have seen and from what others have told me, BF is more geared toward teamwork, rewarding players with higher XP for doing team oriented play and not individual play. There are no scorestreaks or "diamond camo" for people to concentrate on, bonus. I think it is time to make the change and see if BF is all that COD failed to be.

Atleast your reasoning, Ghost will not prove to be something different, its the same community who follow suit with the new titles. So your right, if this community is how you describe the best thing to do is stay away.

BF is not much different, i've played it and have dealt with the same level of players and worse (they can kick you from their games) and getting spawn trapped by a tank aiming down sight at you bites!

COD is how you take it, do not blame the title based on some bad or selfish players. It plays best with a party but it is what it is. Good post.

bkblazer

I remember when multiplayer was introduced in Socom on the PS2. I was so excited because I thought my friends and I would act like real Navy SEALs. Long story short, it never happened.

There are teams in CoD that can make it happen, but in public with randoms, selfishness comes first. All the tools are there to make the game strategical, but the game has turned into something very different for the majority. A circus maybe?

Still appreciate it for what it is.

phxs72

Overall good post.  There's really nothing that I can argue with in it.  Anytime that you venture into online play you will run into your fare share (more than fare share really) of what I like to call idiots.  They can be quite frustrating.  For instance, I recently completed TDM Master and went back to DOM.  Apparently, while I was gone DOM has turned into tac insert city with my team almost always content to sit in the back of their spawn and wait for someone to walk by.  It's quite frustrating to be pushing forward, taking out the TIs, dropping two or three people along the way, only to get dropped and realize that you are the only (and I mean only) member of your team that is anywhere near the middle of the map.  And then the cycle repeats.  This isn't how it always is but it often happens this way in CoD (TIs notwithstanding).  The thing that you have to do is adapt.  I'll be dreaming up a very specific class for taking on TIs solo today with the hopes of pushing the enemy back far enough that my witless teammates won't have anything to shoot at long enough that they might venture forward.  If they don't then I'll be getting all of the kills and maybe they will quit and some decent players can take their place.  As much as I hate to give up on the win, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to make the lobby shuffle to your favor.

allnyguy

Everyone has great replies and i appreciate all the feedback and comments. Adaption is difficult since i really only play league play now and having limited times that i can play only lends itself to random teammates and thus becomes a crapshoot if my teammates will have any sense or not. I just don't get why people decide to play league play and just mess around or drop out after 2 minutes?? What pleasure can they possibly get out of spinning around in a circle or trapping teammates in corners the entire time...? probably the same people who thinking making an emblem of breasts or crap or foul language think they are funny or cool. The mentality of some players is just ridiculous and shows how immature some players are and this is what ends up ruining the game for those of us who just want to play the objective. I would rather have on my team a player who goes 10-20, but communicates and knows the game and works for the team instead of someone who goes 30-2, but just thinks of himself the entire time, doesn't communicate and knows nothing of the objective... it is the sad state of Black Ops 2.

If these players just want to f* around and act like idiots, they should just stick to pub matches and leave league to those who actually want to seriously play.

BugStein

That sounds pretty much like League of Legends Bronze/Silver ranked games ... same thing seem to happen in almost every game.

And believe me ... BF4 won't change anything in that way. I did play BF3 for almost 1000 hours and my focus was on Conquest, Rush and Conquest large maps. Often you gonna see people using the very needed to win key vehicles just driving around and grabbing kills so that they can push the K/D Ratio. Not to mention that you'll feel very left alone in Conquest or rush very often... tons of snipers in your team on rush so that you can never Push any M-COM or just people that do not care about capping points so that your team will win. It frustrated me to the point that I just decided to go and play CQ maps for the last 50 hours I played BF3.

In every game it's the same thing. You will almost always have people in that will just play the lone wolf and care about nothing but the K/D and I for myself feel like it would be the majority of them. Rarly you will have rounds that make you think "wow that was a really nice and balanced round"

I wish you the best luck with BF4 but don't expect too much from it! you will have your fun for sure but it will also have enough frustrating moments at the same time.

kevev99

I couldn't agree more allnyguy. I'm in the same boat, 38, wife, kid, house, full-time job. I get to play for maybe 2-3 hours at night after my son goes to bed. I've found 2 people by dumb luck who are good to play with and work together as a team. I've only been playing the BO2 for about 3.5 weeks. It's the first FPS I've ever played. A friend of mine bought it when it came out and never opened it, and he asked me if I wanted it for free, so sure I took it.

Unlike you I didn't watch any videos before playing; I just jumped in feet first, and I play Team Deathmatch 99.9% . In my short time playing I've gone from averaging 1 kill per match (over a 10 game span) to averaging 5 per match (over a 10 game span). Yes, I track my own stats in Excel to see how I'm improving. I've steadily improved my kill average, while my death average has leveled off. As I get more comfortable I'm able to utilize scorestreaks and be more able to anticipate what other players do. It makes it enjoyable for me. For the first time the other night I got a single match K/D over 1.0 of 1.14. My overall average K/D is 0.3, but it is trending upwards.

I feel your frustrations too with people who play for their own selfishness. The spawn rushers, the modded controllers for auto aiming and rapid fire (I don't think a 6 round pistol should be firing all 6 shots in 2 seconds), and those who bail out because they get killed too many times rapidly. I call bullshit on it. These selfish players really have no skill and take the fun out of the game for boobs and ass on a playercard. I know we can report people, but does it do any good? I just wait until the match is over and move on to another lobby.

I know it's part of the game, but I hate it when you end up in a lobby and the other team are all using Target Finder sight attachments. It's as if these people have no interest in trying to improve their skill. And the campers are probably the worst, with the idiots who halo jump around being a close second. We can ***** all we want, but it's part of the game. I take great pride in finally getting the drop on these no skill players. It's vindication. So what you got a K/D of 2.5 and I had 0.41. At least I try to play and improve and not shortcut my way just for stats and bragging rights. Really? It's a video game.

I've seen the same in Ghosts too. And to be honest, I know that the maps are larger to accommodate the bigger lobbies fro Xbox One and PS4, but they are too big for the Xbox 360. Ghosts is a marked graphical improvement, but I don't find that it plays more challenging. If anything, the multiplayer is more frustrating in Ghosts than BO2. I need to see if the campaing mode is interesting, but given my limited play time in the evening, I get more bang out of multiplayer, and I don't know if I want to invest the time to complete the campaing in either game.

Maybe the overall solution is to create a game that is solely multiplayer focused, and have there be more in the way of options for lobby selection, where the game can classify you based on your skill and style of play. And maybe have there be some in-built checks to see how fast weapons are firing or fixing on target beyond what they are programmed to do to filter out the modders to their own lobbies away from those who want to play in a more "right" way.