7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 8:33 AM by MrAdaptability RSS

Same servers from both systems?

cookevol

I don't mean to sound stupid I just need to know for sure. Are the Sony and Microsoft servers of Call of Duty Ghosts going to be on the same server? There is a lot of discussion about it and I just don't want to seem stupid saying "Oh yeah, the servers are going to be the same!" Then find out I was wrong.

• Re: Same servers from both systems?
    kylet345

It would make sense, seeing as they run on the same networks (PSN and XBL), but I think they might not run on the same ones because of hardware differences giving the next-gen consoles an advantage.

thebigb82

No they will not be, Xbone will be running on the cloud, PSN+ no idea, as they have yet to even confirm the existance of dedicated servers for PS4, your guess is as good as mine as to where the information will be stored, perhaps the moon?

Izjar11

thebigb82 wrote:

No they will not be, Xbone will be running on the cloud, PSN+ no idea, as they have yet to even confirm the existance of dedicated servers for PS4, your guess is as good as mine as to where the information will be stored, perhaps the moon?

PSN bought a cloud service called gaikai (I believe). I personally do not think PSN will invest money on dedi's for COD, as a business person I can't see it.

LifeSong1

At this point all we have heard about Gaikai is that it is a streaming service (to play prior systems games). There has been no word that it will be able to do dedicated servers (though that is a possibility). Either way, I don't see dedicated servers coming to Ghosts for PS since the Gaikai service isn't even scheduled to be online till sometime in 2014.

LifeSong1

If you are referring to dedicated servers then the answer is No. First, only the 360 and One will have dedicated servers (that we know of) and those will be using Microsoft's servers.  Sony has not announced anything yet.  Not sure what other servers you may be referring to.  Servers to handle matchmaking and other items would likely be different machines for each platform or at least each console family.  Elite servers are likely all shared.

MrAdaptability

PC, Xbone and 360 are all confirmed for dedicated servers. Microsoft is selling servers on the cheap to developers. Titanfall and COD both are going to be using Microsoft servers on Xbox and PC. Sony did make a deal with Rackspace for "cloud" hosting, aka dedicated servers. However I don't think they did this early on enough for Ghosts to use them. My guess is PS4 will get shafted with Ghosts on the dedicated servers front. I really don't see Microsoft renting out their servers without some claus that prevents them from being used for their direct competitors.