14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 1:53 PM by Klaksie RSS

Why I love zombies

LORD_GRRR

After the conclusion of Origins, I know I am not alone in feeling a disconnect between what originally made me fall in love with zombies and the direction it has been taken.  This Verruckt trailer reminds me of better times, before the story was even introduced.  The feeling evoked in this video is simple and visceral.  It is at the heart of why I love zombies so much.

Sometimes, when something loses its way, it must return to its foundation to regain clarity.  I realize that not everyone feels the zombies franchise is losing its way.   But for me, in my humble opinion, the feelings portrayed by the survivors in this trailer are what I identify with more than any storyline the developers have come up with.  It is my hope Treyarch can capture this simplicity and reignite a flame that, for me, has dwindled to a spark (as far as the storyline goes).

• Re: Why I love zombies
    FlyingPlatapus

I Remember this....

electricfuneralfire

imo Zombies really started to change when Ascension came out. This is when everyone (especially everyone who isnt hardcore) started thinking that running trains is what showed true skill in Zombies.

From this point, going into a 4 person game (even with a friend with you) you run into players who purely try to run trains or die trying. Or they rage quit. But all this wasnt too big of a deal and Zombies was still fun so 3arc wasnt what I would consider "off track".

The lack of ability to find good team mates for a 4 person game became pandemic with BO2 for reasons im sure most people know.

But mainly the missions in which you go search and find thing (EE) became mandatory (PaP). And I think its a testament that even the eggheads dont like it. Im sure it takes time away from what the really want and thats find the next step.

I may be a little of base with the EE stuff but as far as game play thats the way I see it. The ability to run trains takes away from most of the challenge presented in the original Zombies and it ruined team work.

electricfuneralfire

PS

^^

Maybe too old school of an opinion here but from what Ive seen Zombies has changed dramatically since Ascension time. And with the changes they made on BO2 Zombies has become more of a headache to play rather than fun.

Necaross

That's why they put the Bank on most the maps, so it's not actually an headache anymore. Exept when a map is released and people are looking for EE's At most, it takes you 10 mins to actually get ready up on Die Rise or Buried to go to high rounds. MotD is a different story, but still an ok map

electricfuneralfire

The getting set up part isnt so much my issue. In fact I would like them to take out the bank so people wouldnt be encouraged to just run off by themselves asap. Its more of the repeat missions that annoys me. And if you decide to not take the time to PaP, well your game will take even longer.

And I am sure some people like going to high rounds but its like every map is set up to get to high rounds. I want round 30 to be a challenge.

The marathon maps are fine but we need some old school maps too.

USarmyvet

electricfuneralfire wrote:

The ability to run trains takes away from most of the challenge presented in the original Zombies and it ruined team work.

The only alternative to moving is not moving.....aka camping, which is is a lot more boring.

The zombies are programed to go after the closest player. Training is a result of the map + the AI. In order to stop training, they'd have to narrow the maps and eliminate all open areas. A map like that imposes a structural limitation on players since eventually you will run out of the ammo to hold down an area. If you cannot run a train and you cannot kill them.....you die.

Had this game been designed as you suggest.....it would have never achieved the popularity it has.

I'm not sure exactly where Lord GRRR see's the game running off track but IMHO it was "too much story". A book that never ends get's increasingly difficult to tie together. Not to mention that they can never bring it to a conclusion. I think some of the best maps made between WaW and Origins were unconnected or lightly connected.

Not sure how long the game will go on but I think a "Survivor Story" approach might have been a better way to manage the releases. Open and close a story in each release. They could have peppered every release with a bonus O4 map to carry on the original legacy team.

Personally, I'm hoping they drop the story and start fresh in the next release. Focus on the core aspects, less on the rpg elements.

LORD_GRRR

USarmyvet wrote:

I'm not sure exactly where Lord GRRR see's the game running off track but IMHO it was "too much story". A book that never ends get's increasingly difficult to tie together. Not to mention that they can never bring it to a conclusion. I think some of the best maps made between WaW and Origins were unconnected or lightly connected.

Personally, I'm hoping they drop the story and start fresh in the next release. Focus on the core aspects, less on the rpg elements.

It went off track the second they decided to make the entire storyline a figment of childrens' imagination.  It is literally the ending cutscene that blew it for me.  To have the raw, visceral survival experience of slaughtering zombies until you get overrun mitigated by being told my experience is nothing but imaginary feels like a slap in the face.  It's like having an awesome dream and then waking up, realizing it wasn't real and feeling the disappointment.

As yoda put it after I asked him what he thought after seeing the ending for the first time, "Great!  I feel like I've been playing a nintendo game this whole time."  We play this game to escape reality.  Not to be reminded of it.

I absolutely agree with you that they need a story to focus on the core aspects of what survivors would be dealing with.  The spins they introduced were fine but they have to tie together intelligently.  I think Treyarch knows they got too far-fetched and "ripped off the bandaid" on a sinking ship of a storyline they haphazardly threw together over the years.  That "rip" hurt worse than they anticipated, though.    

FlyingPlatapus

I agree with you Grrrr, the story may have worked better from the beginning if it was more based off real trials that may occur if a zombie apocalypse did happen. But instead we got this. Which don't get me wrong, I loved the story until the end, but it could have been better. Damn you Jimmy.

FlyingPlatapus

PLus, one more thing to add here. Treyarch still did something right with black ops 2, and the story for zombies. The reason I say this is because, if it was not set up the way it was, I would not have met you, or the other great players I have met. I would have never gone into public matches to help random players complete the Easter eggs, nor would I have joined these forums to check to see if anyone found the next step.

Mr_Spaceman

The ending was a complete kick in the teeth for me. Not one to boast but even I think I could've came up with a better ending than that shite. I just hope the next zombie outing is NOT a continuation of this story and a completely new one with a dedicated team working on it from start to finish.

electricfuneralfire

Most people just dont know how to camp the right way. They see camping as backing themselves in a corner and everyone firing down the same sight line. But even this simple/noobish form of camping is more exciting than running in the same circle over and over. I just dont see how thats more fun than actually fighting to survive. If your opinion differs then so be it.

The game was originally designed how I suggest ie WaW maps. And these are the maps that got me and most hardcore players hooked on Zombies.

Im not saying trains are bad or that I dont like to run them sometimes, Im just saying when trains became popular team work went away and since 90% of randoms players you run into run a train or die trying, mostly die trying. On top of that they make no true camping maps anymore.

And like I said thats not even my main issue with the newer Zombies. My issue is the new things they put in they game that just make games drag by bad or as you said RPG elements.

mister_z

I agree with you 200% Bro.. Really I think Zombies kinda lost its way after Kino. Really once we stop killing NAZI Zombies.

Acension, COTD, Shang, Moon..really good maps indeed. I knew then, we were straying away from the original. I'm with you brotha..Ol' Skool Ah la madre!!!

timelordalex

zombies went downhill with BO2 for me, they had it right with BO1 IMO, survival map with an optional FUN EE, COTD - Moon, we had all 8 perks in the map and a way to obtain them all and we werent restricted to 5/6 perks like BO2, i liked the traditional proper decent powerful one person only wonder weapon from the box, which anyone could get, not pathetic buildable replacements where someone can hog the last part to claim it theres every game, there were a decent variety of maps, easy/boring maps like kino/ascension and fun/challenging maps like Five/Shangri-La, Fun is what i play zombies for, and for me besides MOTD and somewhat Buried and Origins, there is no fun in BO2 Zombs, it should not be a chore to get to PaP, or a pain to do EEs giving no reward. In terms of things that BO2 introduced, i quite liked the idea of buildables (but not buildable WWs) and the bank/fridge - while i like these features, i wouldnt be that bothered if they were removed as i never specifically wanted them in the first place

Klaksie

WAW brings back the good old memories, der riese is the reason for buying a ps3.

Did you recently played it? Its fcked up to find some real players instead of glitchers and modds.

I really miss the raw, dark and grimey sphere that WAW had.

If you look at zombies now its allmost a fairy tale with rainbows and my little pony.

Back to the basic next game from treyarch or this is the end!?