26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2013 11:31 AM by widesttoshiro RSS

Sniper Discussion- Which one is better?

SharpShooterFTW

What do you think is better? I'm thinking the DSR50 or the Ballista.

• Re: Sniper Discussion- Which one is better?
    phxs72

It really depends on how good your aim is and how aggressive a player you are.  The DSR has the larger OHK hitbox but it also has a slower rechamber rate which can become an issue when taking on multiple enemies at once.  It's best to keep some distance between you and your enemy when using the DSR to allow for the slower rechamber time.  The Ballista has a small OHK hitbox (requires good aim) but rechambers really fast which makes it ideal for taking on multiple enemies in quick succession and works well for closer engagements.

Killbook

I honestly LOVE the DSR far more. ESPECIALLY on zombies. Black Ops II Zombies

deamonomic

ballista all the way.

Megadog14

I like the XPR, especially with acog and extended mags.

darkrangeresp

There really isn't a best sniper rifle.  3arc did a nice job of balancing them so there isn't a clear dominant winner. It all depends on your comfort level with the weapon and what the class you build with it is designed to do.  The balista with it's faster handling is the clear winner for quickscoping and close range snipe fights. However, the DSR can function in a similar role and its large 1 hit kill area makes it the better for longer range engagements and more traditional hard scoping.  It really comes down to personal preference.

My personal preference on the sniper rifles is the SVU-AS.  I know I am in the minority on this opinion, but I am not a traditional sniper or quick scoper.  The SVU has the largest magazine, fastest fire rate, fastest reload time, and the least recoil and idle sway of any of the sniper rifles. However, it sucks butt in the leathal department and normally requires 2 shots to kill without a head shot.   It also has a lower zoom level on the default scope which, makes it more ideal for mid range combat than the other rifles without the addition of other optics.

Most players who run a sniper rifle run it as their primary weapon with 2 or 3 attachments.  I normally run the SVU as a secondary weapon on a pistol or shotgun class. Normally, I will run the weapon raw using overkill in my secondary slot or just stick it in my primary slot if I am using a secondary weapon as a serogate primary.  The weapon is very competative at middle and the first half of long range against anything but another sniper rifle.  It's lower recoil and idle sway mean I don't need the balisitic CPU or other optics to make the weapon functional and thus it minimizes the number of slots I need to have a long range weapon. 

The other role I put it into is with FMJ as a back up weapon.   I have it as a secondary weapon on a couple of classes where my primary is running an MMS sight.  If I see somebody camping behind a wall, I can swap to the SVU and spam off a clip through the wall at them.  The higher rate of fire means I don't have to worry about getting a 1 hit kill shot on a target I cannot see. With FMJ the SVU is always a 2 hit kill through walls and it shoots fast enough most players die before they can react to this tactic. 

Antonic

In my opinion the DSR is better, but for multi enemys id say balista

nicedrewishfela

SVU, because I am a terrible... terrible sniper :-P

SharpShooterFTW

idk i like my dsr class (mainly because im great with it) but im looking to try the ballista because i find myself coming up against multiple enemies. i will post what classes im trying out later.

SitRepPro

I seem to enjoy using the Ballista more but I seem to do better with the DSR.  Using iron sights on my Ballista to get that final kill with diamond bling.

nuttin2say

I tend to agree with darkranger ... they each have strengths and weaknesses.

Overall, though, I like the Ballista. But that's because I prefer long range sniping, not quick scoping. Even so, when it comes to QS, I've found the Ballista the easiest to use for that purpose.

The SVU I like because of its accuracy. Personally, I think it is the most accurate SR ... it doesn't show that when you look at in-game stats, though. That's because it is a 2HK weapon and to get those 2 hits, you pretty much have to spam the flock out of your shots. Not because of accuracy, but because in BO2, your target doesn't seem to want to cooperate much - everyone is always on the move.

SitRepPro

Just means SVU users will favour the suppressor more.  It did with me as a OHK to the head only is a bad return for body multipliers.  It's a bit difficult having a fair amount of weapons in each class without having some weapons being outclassed.

darkrangeresp

I have to agree with you there.  If you are going to silence a sniper rifle the SVU is aboslutely the way to go.  The game's lag compensation for better or worse has some trouble with hit boxes ans sometimes what should be a one hit kill turns into a hit marker.  With the bolt action sniper rifles, killing on the first shot is critical.  If your opponent sees you and you don't get a one hit kill, there is a fairly high probablilty that you won't live to get a second shot with the ballista or DSR.  Like it or not, the SVU can pump out 8 to 10 rounds in the time that the DSR takes to fire 2. That's why you normally don't see the bolt action snipers with a supressor. 

Moth_Skates

It depends on your personal preference, if you like long range sitting in the back kind of play style dsr50 is a good choice but if you want to be in a supporting/aggressive role the ballista is the best weapon. But nothing can beat the xpr50 ^^

nuttin2say

My preference is to finish all the challenges for every weapon. I run solo and I didn't even play BO2 for about two months so, nope, I don't yet have all the challenges complete. Once I finish with the SVU I will switch to one of the other SRs for my sniping. I've tried all four and I think I have a pretty good feel for them. For the SVU, I just take the shots I can and if it scores a OHK, great. If not, I keep going.

I can see why the XPR would be a well-liked SR. However, the one I think is the best is the Ballista. Accuracy plus good damage. I can live with the rechamber time.

SharpShooterFTW

Ok, the ballista class im using

Ballista

-fast mag

-ballitics cpu

Five-Seven

Perk 1- Flack Jacket

Perk 2- scavenger

perk 3- dexterity (i think im in school right now and i cant really remember, lol)

Lethal- Betty

Tatical- concussion

i know i have 1 more that im using, but i cant remember it, lol

deamonomic

My current SnD class is a

Ballista with a Laser sight

M8A1 with laser sight

Light weight

Toughness

Awareness

Dead silence

Perk 3 greed wild card

Overkill wild card

This search class is amazingly beast. The M8A1 gives you good fighting power up close-mid and the sniper gives you good fighting power at long range.

Broxi1979

I like both guns but I would say my favourite just for how fun it is to use would be the Ballista.

The random above waist hit-markers are an issue but it just feels so manoeuvrable and fun to use if you're trying to get multi-kills.

I'm fairly new to sniping, BO2 is the first COD I have put any real effort into learning the snipe mechanics and I like to just chill out and play FFA with the Ballista, I very rarely win my match (unlike if I run SMG) but hey ho, I have fun playing and that's what it's all about.

I cant touch the SVU or XPR though, those guns just suck.

dustycrow

honestly not a big fan of eather. ive always loved snipers but on black ops 2 i just cant snipe at all im about average. i prefer the ballista for qs and the dsr for long ranged fights but all in all i prefer the xpr over all of them. 1 shot kill + its semi auto so if needed i can take out multiple enemies without the annoying bolt action call me a noob but i find firing off shots rapidly more effective than ur traditional sniper on games who likes to do trick shots and **** i play to win not do fancy tricks so ya i can qs and ya i do hard/drag scope only thing differant than ur average camper sniping is im a rusher i cant stand sitting still it bores me to death so i rush around sniping qs hard scope ext. w.e gets the job done but ull never see me no scopeing >.<

widesttoshiro

I usually switch up between both snipers but if I want to be aggressive than I will use ballista or If I'm rushing but kinda keeping my distance/mid range I use the DSR it basically depends on what map your playing on.