31 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 10:47 PM by TheNewSuperHero RSS

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game (Official)

TimFL274

So it's officially announced. The teaser trailer was... well ok.

Would love to have a bit more information on the e.g. webswinging and open world gameplay but I guess we'll read/see more about it soon.

Set to be out next year may (when the movie launches) on PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, WiiU, 3DS.

I really hope there is a proper difference between next gen and current gen.

//EDIT: The trailer is of the current gen version of the game.

*Exclusive* The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Teaser Trailer - NY Comic-Con 2013 - YouTube

• Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game (Official)
    PunyParker

"Developed by Beenox, the folks behind The Amazing Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, and Spider-Man: The Edge of Time, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will put players back in a free-roaming New York as the webhead with new combat moves and upgrades. The story itself revolves around Spidey hunting Uncle Ben's killer; it's set in the movie universe but existing in its own continuity.

The sequel will also introduce a new heroism system called "Hero or Menace" in which you're rewarded for stopping crime, but punished if you don't keep it up. More interesting, the narrative will actually have Peter Parker bits for players to experience."

-IGN

Voidy

The trailer also mentions a "Dewolff," in the radio message at around 0:17 of the video. I'm expecting she'll play a major role in the story.

TimFL274

I'd be really glad if the story revolved around uncle bens murderer. I dislike the over the top stories (apocalypse, spider-slayers, NY burning). It'd be ok having Electro going on a rampage but please stay away from the whole NY is going to die a horrible painful death if I don't stop the army of monsters flooding the streets. It's been done too often IMHO (WoS, TASM etc).

PunyParker

I couldnt agree more......if it's a well crafted-grounded writing around this story(Ben's death) it could provide us with one of the best spidey videogame stories ever.....and with good gameplay it could be more!!

I wasnt impressed with ASM(at all...it didnt live up to the potential...or hype) so i expect SO MUCH more....

TheNewSuperHero

So it's official (and unsurprising) that we have yet another movie-tie in game. My initial reaction to the teaser trailer is pretty neutral at this point. There honestly isn't anything in this announcement that makes me particularly excited, though I do find it very curious how it's said that the game is set within the same universe as the films but exists on its own continuity which is something we mentioned in the forums a whiles back and it seems like that's what they went with to resolve the whole Rhino/alternate characters issue. I doubt if Electro or anyone else from the film will even appear in the game but I could be wrong. Either way here's hoping the unlimited random crimes will be in the game (which it seems like it is given the whole "hero/menace" feature) and that they've built on the good parts of the first movie game. Who knows maybe Beenox will blow our minds with all the changes they've made in TASM 2 (I'd hope) otherwise this will be another mediocre movie based game that just keeps getting made.

TheNewSuperHero

Thank you bluedonut00! These links are starting to make me feel a little more positive about the game. When I saw "Cryo-Webbing", I'm not gonna lie I got excited.

EDIT: The more I read these articles the more it seems that Beenox really listened to the discussions we had in these forums. Different types of webbing, webs attaching to buildings now, investigative journalistic Peter Parker side missions, "Hero or Menace" mechanic (which sounds like a fancy way of saying unlimited random crimes). If they say there's parkour in the game then I'm 100% convinced this will be the spiderman game I've been waiting to play. Here's hoping I can say the same thing once I've actually played the game and have seen these features in action for myself.

PunyParker

I dont get my hopes high cuz i did with ASM,and the resaults were dissapointing.....

But i am a bit excited......better graphics,camera change to norman 3rd person game,normal web lines(and not comicbooky) and we're off!!

Bluedonut00

No problem, bro.

When they talked about the "Hero or Menace" system I had a hunch that it would either be used for unlimited crimes, like we asked, or it would somewhat be tied to the story and that the rating you get at the end affects the ending in some way. I'm leaning towards the unlimited crimes idea, since there probably will be games tied to the next Amazing Spider-Man movies, but in its own continuity, like Beenox said.

TimFL274

It was confirmed that it has to do something with the crimes happening in the streets, if you choose to ignore them you'll have a bad time. I don't remember where I read it though, Beenox has tweeted a lot more info in the past 24 hours (like webs attaching to buildings, 2 triggers being used for swinging, camera altered slightly, evolved combat, Peter Parker investigation gameplay, Fisk tower confirmed etc.)

PunyParker

This has the potential to be great.....but....so did ASM,so i'll keep my pants on for the moment.

MaxCash

- day-night-cycle

- infinite side missions and a bigger variety of them

- Peter Parker playable outside of his missions (PP skin)

- a more realistic city (the TASM's New York was too compressed)

- multiple slots for autosaves and manual saves (btw. please do not copy protect them on PS3)

and the game is almost perfect for me.

Oh and I don't want to see the annoying save game bug from the TASM PS3 version again. Though you could at least back up it to a USB stick it still sucked.

Rei_Entri

Maybe, I'm getting old. I'm reading the comments and it's just a lot of complaining. I think it's more productive to focus on what they've been doing right, than to focus on what we were unimpressed by or the things we feel they did wrong. I've been away from the boards for some time, and I've had some time to think about this upcoming game and how the community can explain what we want.

For example, take a chef. If you say "Yeah, I hated the dish you made. It didn't live up to my expectations and the plating was too over the top." And someone else says "No way!! It was a great beginning! Don't change a thing! In fact, you just need to add some stuff." Then, that doesn't really tell the chef what to do, because they're too conflicting points.

However, if two customers say that they--again, for example--"Loved the meat used for the dish, and the flavor was amazing." But maybe one person didn't enjoy the salad, or another person disliked the rice, then the chef knows that, at the core, the meat and the seasoning is fine. It is other things that need to change.

How do we translate that to gaming?

TASM was a solid game. Factually, the game played fairly well. This has been established by professional reviewers. If you don't think so, you're just wrong. That doesn't mean it was the best game or even the best Spider-Man game, but they had--objectively--a decent game.

Nitpicking things will not help Beenox make a better version. They're just going to see a lot of conflicting opinions from the fans and not really be sure what we want. As evidenced by all of the spider-man games being similar, but rarely crossing the threshold to a "reinvention of what it is to be a spider-man game" as Spider-Man 2 years ago.

PunyParker

For those wondering, yes, a trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game is coming soon (we have seen the first cut!). Stay tuned!

Also, we have been quiet about The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game because we are busy working on the game! We'll answer questions later.

Rei_Entri

Beenox...Automatic Day and Night time cycles, The classic costume from the comics, which he pretty much wears in the movie (so alternate costumes), infinite crime (i.e., infinite things to do and replay value), reasons to play as Peter Parker. That's what fans asked for last time. The majority of us also asked for a game that does not end abruptly.

The gameplay of the previous game, free-flow combat, the controls, the plot and the larger than life enemies were all fine. Everywhere from IGN to Gamespot and GameFAQs all agreed on that. Those things need to simply be upgraded. Not redone or taken away. This should feel like a sequel not a completely different series.

The plot of the game also technically could still fit as cannon for the movie (as far as we know). So we don't need a game that pretends the previous one never happened.

TimFL274

It's already confirmed that the game will be a sequel to the first game. They are going their "own way" now which means that they aren't going to extend the 2nd movie. They will take cues from the 2nd movie (like Electro storyline etc.) and add them to their own story. We effectively have a distant movie tie-in that retells the movies story in their own way without directly copying the movie.

• Re: Re: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Video Game (Official)
        Rei_Entri

I'm aware that it is a "sequel", however if you remember that Rhino was already featured in the first game, this could spawn the writing team to treat this game as if the previous events never happened. This is commonly called a "retroactive continuity change" or a retcon. And the Sam Raimi Spider-Man film-based games had heavy amounts of these from game to game.

Each new game in the "series" were sequels to each other but seemed to negate the previous events and situations. The gameplay, map and art direction also changed from game to game. So they did not feel like a connected series, but more like 3 different games all based on the films, but made to be played regardless if you saw the previous films or played the previous games. I think the Batman: Arkham series has shown that a consistent and coherent plot is much better.

If "going their own way" means that players will have consistency, that's all I am asking for. They have an opportunity to start making great Spider-Man games again.

On a separate note in this discussion, I want to be very specific when I say to any of the devs possibly reading this:

Players want to be the character. Making our own choices, decisions and exploration on our terms is interesting and fun. The game is being made right now. If you guys are reading any of the fan comments for basis on what to be in the game, you're likely to have done so months ago and are scanning the messages, comments and feedback now. To that end, please include more interior places. And bring back enemy hideouts and warehouses from Spider-Mann 2. It just makes the world seem more lifelike, and like Spider-Man is in actual NYC, not just a giant jungle gym.

With exploring and living like the character, we'd also like to MEET or fight our fan favorite characters or enemies.

Hobgoblin

Please include the classic 1980's Hobgoblin.

The Classic Hobgoblin was not included in a game since even before Maximum Carnage on SNES.

TimFL274

What is it you don't understand about sequel to the first game? It was confirmed by a lot of people already (Chris Baker from marvel, rep from Beenox etc.) that it is a sequel to THEIR first entry in the series, not the movie. It takes place after the events of the first game (yes everything still happened in TASM2) and only takes cues from the 2nd movie (it probably has a few Electro missions etc.). And the Rhino cross-species could very well work even with the introduction of the real Rhino (if they even include him in the game because it's an original story that doesn't fully retell the movies story). Rhino cross-species could just be a normal cross-species whereas the robot Rhino is the real Rhino from the comics. Spidey could even throw some hints in there (like mentioning the cross-species Rhino in a fight).

The games and movies effectively go seperate ways now. The games take cues from the movies but have their own movie universe to play in (with guidance from Sony on what is allowed and what isn't). On the other hand I don't think you'll see any of your favorite villains any time soon because it's still up to Sony whether they can use a villain or not (and they'll without a doubt be stuck with what Sony has in their movies or lets them use).

Rei_Entri

TimFL274 wrote:

What is it you don't understand about sequel to the first game? It was confirmed by a lot of people already (Chris Baker from marvel, rep from Beenox etc.) that it is a sequel to THEIR first entry in the series, not the movie. It takes place after the events of the first game (yes everything still happened in TASM2) and only takes cues from the 2nd movie (it probably has a few Electro missions etc.)

Tim, I've spoken to you before about your condescending approach when talking to other FANS. You don't work for Beenox or Activision. You're just a guy at a computer like any of the other fans. I'm really happy for you about what -you- read and what you are saying is official. But my concerns are valid, even with all that aside. Activision has NOT confirmed the plot of the story. They have NOT confirmed that there won't be story retcons or other plot devices to tell the story that they're trying to tell. And most of all, Activision has "confirmed" things before, only for things to be not quite how they've presented them because things get lost in translation.

Do not assume that I'm not understanding the childishly simple things you're saying (and have ALREADY addressed), because I'm not arguing with you. You said that already. I acknowledged it. I don't know what more you want.

TimFL274 wrote:

And the Rhino cross-species could very well work even with the introduction of the real Rhino (if they even include him in the game because it's an original story that doesn't fully retell the movies story). Rhino cross-species could just be a normal cross-species whereas the robot Rhino is the real Rhino from the comics. Spidey could even throw some hints in there (like mentioning the cross-species Rhino in a fight).

The games and movies effectively go seperate ways now. The games take cues from the movies but have their own movie universe to play in (with guidance from Sony on what is allowed and what isn't).

For example this is all you hypothesizing. For all of your touting about what is official, the plot and stories are still up in the air. Nothing is confirmed, nothing has been stated. While you have, admittedly, started this thread, I've explicitly stated that I was talking to the developers and staff/crew. For this very reason. I don't wish to argue with other fans about what they think or would like. I'm attempting to tell the devs directly what I think would be interesting. And along with my personal interests (Hobgoblin), I am also attempting to voice what other fans have claimed to enjoy previously.

TimFL274 wrote:

On the other hand I don't think you'll see any of your favorite villains any time soon because it's still up to Sony whether they can use a villain or not (and they'll without a doubt be stuck with what Sony has in their movies or lets them use).

History shows that your theory does not hold weight. Rhino was a major focus of TASM game; That is, he was not in the movie and yet was approved to be in game. He is now a major [side] villain in the very next film. And since this is still a business, the tie-in/cash-in game will feature Rhino.

The IP of characters is nearly entirely open to Activision/Beenox. The only characters that will likely be held back are characters that will be the focus of future films. As Spider-Man: The Movie Game, Spider-Man 2: TMG and SM3:TMG have shown with their character choices and availability. This is for the purpose of not over saturating the market with a character and leaving some sort of surprise for the next film.

Since, as you've said [several times now], they are "going their own way", this means they have free range to use the characters they'd like in stories they'd like. To say otherwise, you'd be contradicting yourself.

So, no, Hobgoblin is just as valid a villain choice as Black Cat was in TASM...

And getting back to Newslad and the devs, I would really enjoy if he were to be selected to be in the games. Thank you.

PunyParker

For all those asking, yes, we have seen the first cut of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 video game trailer. It's coming. It's in the hands of PR.

Aint that interesting......

TheNewSuperHero

Been a while since my last post so let me start off by saying "Happy New Year!" and with this new year it seems that we may be saying goodbye to Activision's run on Marvel games. Numerous postings are indicating that Activision's contract with Marvel has come to an end which is why they had a "fire sale" on various games including X-Men Destiny, Spiderman: Edge of Time, etc. and is also why these games have been permanently removed from the digital stores. The "last man standing" so to speak is the first TASM game and it seems that the last Marvel game to come from Activision will be TASM 2. If this is all true it seems that this would be the perfect opportunity for Marvel to license out these franchises to a different publisher/developer or to better yet create their own in-house game studio which would give them the freedom to create games for any of Marvel's extensive library of characters. If they were to create their own in-house games developer they could create a connected games universe similar to what they're doing with their connected films and tv universe. Maybe they could make their own version of Spiderman and the X-Men who debut primarily in the video games but are both part of Marvels Cinematic Universe. Either way I gotta say that I'm all for seeing a new developer/publisher give a go at Marvel's franchises so that we can hopefully see a quality AAA Spiderman game or an X-Men game among others. Activision's marvel based games have been hit or miss over the years but lately their titles have become more underdeveloped and poor than anything else. They have something of a trend going where they'll announce a game, usually with a quick teaser trailer, then there won't be any solid news or footage of how the game actually looks or plays until about a week or two before the game is released and it ends up looking not so great. Prime examples of this include X-Men Destiny and Deadpool (which I did enjoy but that game needed a lot of polish which was odd seeing as it came from the makers of the Transformer games, High Moon Studios). TASM 2 comes out in roughly three months, which I'm pretty sure will be April 29 seeing as how that's the same week the movie comes out and videogames usually release on a Tuesday. -EDIT- I actually just checked the website and it turns out TASM 2 comes out April 17 instead, about two weeks before the movie. There hasn't been an actual trailer for the game aside from that teaser back at Comic-Con, if PR doesn't get a full trailer out by the end of the month or some live gameplay footage by March then I would seriously start worrying about TASM 2 not being good. But even if it is then at least fans can be happy knowing it will be the last one made by Activision until it's passed along to someone else who will do the Spiderman franchise justice, be it a different publisher/developer or Marvel themselves with their own games studio, assuming the information about Marvel cutting ties with Activision is correct.

Here are the links to a couple of the articles that mention Activisions contract with Marvel coming to an end, you can also check Beenox's twitter account and see them mentioning it.

Activision's Marvel Games Pull A Digital Disappearing Act

Several Activision Marvel games are no longer available digitally | GamesBeat | Games | by Jeff Grubb

Are Marvel Licenses Up For Grabs? Activision-Marvel Games No Longer Available Online (UPDATE: Yes They Are!)

TimFL274

AFAIK they can continue to do TASM sequels since it's using the movie rights which belong to Sony. That's why TASM1 is still available for purchase. But we could very well see a comic Spidey game from another developer/publisher in the future.

TheNewSuperHero

If the contract between Activision and Marvel has permanently ended then there'd be no TASM game sequels, Sony Pictures produces movies and they only have the rights to make the films not the games unless Sony Computer Entertainment who does make games decided to buy the licensing rights from Marvel. Beenox or Treyarch wouldn't be able to continue making movie tie-ins as they're both owned by Activision who'd no longer have the game rights to the spiderman game franchise.

TimFL274

That's not how it works. Movie rights have always been a stronger entity than game rights. And I'm almost 100% certain that TASM games are bound to the Sony movie license. This would also explain why they didn't scrap TASM2. They might not be able to use characters not found in the movie universe, but they are very well able to make movie tie-ins.

TheNewSuperHero

That is how it works. Movies rights and game rights are two entirely different entities there is no stronger vs. weaker, it's a contractual agreement that states a company has the legal authorization to make a product for profit. Sony Pictures (the company that makes movies) only has the rights to the movie license (as they would given they are a film studio), not the games license nor television license which is why "Spectacular Spiderman" got cancelled a while back because they no longer had the rights to produce spiderman for tv. Even if it were a show that was based on the movies they still wouldn't be able to air it because it is a television show regardless which they do not have the rights for. The same thing goes for video game rights, if Sony wanted to continue the production of movie tie-in games they'd have to buy the game rights from Marvel in order for Sony Computer Entertainment (the company that makes video games) to produce spiderman games. Activision or any of it's companies including Beenox are not able to bypass the games license by using the movie license as Beenox wouldn't be making a movie, they'd be making a game, regardless of whether or not it's based on the films, it's still a game and they do not have the rights to produce the games on the say so of Sony Pictures. For Sony Pictures, whether or not a game is made has no real impact on them as all they have to be concerned with is the movie. As I've said in earlier posts before, there is no requirement for a movie tie-in game to be released alongside a film, it's more of an auxiliary asset, one that if Sony feels is viable for their cinematic Spiderman brand then they would buy the game rights. Fact is they haven't.

In short a movie is a movie and a game is a game regardless of whether one is based on the other, you can't use movie rights to produce a video game, but you can use video game rights to produce a game that's based on the movie. Video game rights which Sony Pictures, the movie studio, doesn't have.

TheAmazingSpider-Ham

Since both LT and Rt will be used to web swing I think that LT will shoot a web out of Spider-Mans left hand and Rt will shoot a web out of the left hand. Also I want the combat to be more fluid in TASM 2 because in TASM the fighting felt slow but the animation was really good.

TheNewSuperHero

So Beenox has finally unveiled the first official trailer and box art for TASM 2, and it's pretty damn exciting, much better than that teaser they released last year. There's still so much more to see over the next couple of months, but this is a step in the right direction.

MaxCash

I am VERY excited about the game. The trailer and the stuff Beenox said on twitter really sound impressive. I especially love the new costume (to be completely honest the costume of the first movie and the lack of an original comic outfit was what I disliked most about the previous game) and the new web swinging mechanic just sounds awesome. Im Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man and TASM Spidey always used his right hand to shot the web and now being able to choose which hand I use is just great.

Okay so there is no storybased free roaming as Peter Parker but that doesn't meen that there is no Peter Parker skin as alternate costume. I also hope that this time there will be an infinite number of crimes and that this game will not have the annoying savegame bug on the PS3 from the previous game. Besides that I can't wait to buy it.

Apropos: I just don't understand why so many people on the internet rant about the graphics of the game. First: This is just a trailer. Second: The graphics in the trailer look awesome. One guy recently said it looks like a PS2 game with HD textures. Seriously, I don't understand these haters.

TheNewSuperHero

I gotta agree with you, when this game was first announced I was fairly unimpressed but now with all the latest articles and tweets about the numerous new features Beenox has added I'm officially stoked to play this game. I recently pre-ordered and now all I need to know is a release date for when this game hits the shelves which I'm guessing will be either April 17 (two weeks before the film hits like the first game) or April 29 (the week of the film release). Also as far as the graphics thing is concerned anyone who has played video games since before the ps3 or the ps2 and even the ps1 knows that graphics do not need to be ultra-super realistic for you to enjoy a game or to be immersed in that game. Considering that we're on the cusp of these brand new 400-500 dollar consoles, graphical fidelity starts to become a focal point in new game releases as it's one of the big selling points for what it means to be next-gen and why we should spend so much money on a brand new console. Not to mention that rampant criticism and negativity is something of a staple when it comes to message boards, so try not to let it get to you. The graphics in TASM 2 are more than adequate, they don't look PS2 era and they don't look like Crysis with maxed out settings on a high-end gaming PC, it looks as it should, which is like any other game to be released recently. Though personally I would prefer the cel-shaded comic inking art style from games like Shattered Dimensions and Ultimate Spiderman, but that's just me.