30 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2013 9:08 AM by PUR4IDO RSS

Shouldn't they put out a beta.

nflfenatic


With the release date a few weeks away and now that they are using dedicated servers shouldn't they put out a beta to test the servers. It never fails they put out their game and for the first month after release every time you try to play a game you have to download a patch that could have been been fixed before they released the game. And now with dedicated servers don't expect the lag discussions to not continue to dominate the forums. Just no more host migrations one can assume.

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    sombrero1080p

    they should do early access for season pass owners

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    mdub

    nflfenatic wrote:

     


    With the release date a few weeks away and now that they are using dedicated servers shouldn't they put out a beta to test the servers. It never fails they put out their game and for the first month after release every time you try to play a game you have to download a patch that could have been been fixed before they released the game. And now with dedicated servers don't expect the lag discussions to not continue to dominate the forums. Just no more host migrations one can assume.

    IW just announced that the release date was pushed back a month. On the plus side.... we get to buy the beta, a month early.

     

    I just fixed the problem.

     

     

     

     

     

     

    I hope you get my sarcasm

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    trialstardragon

    Nope. Acti+IW does not do beta's. Ya want a beta go play the BF beta.

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    iAmEFFeX

    A Beta would have been great. A little too late in the development cycle to release one now though.

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    dtuchpunk

    Most people that get a beta just want to play the game early.


    A beta is so people can give feedback to the developers. Most people playing a beta don't do that

    • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
      trialstardragon

      Yep most cry for beta's just so they can play early and then decide they dont want it becuse it either has a feature they dont like or does not have one they want.

       

      Sometimes smarter to not put out a beta, so if they want to try it they have to buy it or wait to rent it.

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    alexjt22

    We do get a Beta for COD every year it usually comes out on the first or second Tuesday of November.

     

    On a serious note the way they market COD now wouldn't suit a Beta because they like to hype everything little feature up to make everyone super excited so they have to get it on day it releases.

     

    I do feel to make the best game they can I think that they first need to make us privy to Multiplayer early on sounding out ideas they have for the game and they should have an early beta for season pass holders because people that buy the season pass will buy the next COD anyway so it wouldn't hurt sales. They need to do something because its getting real sh*tty that we end up playing what I call a beta of the game till around march time when they start to balance thing out and finally get a hold of most glitches.

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    nuclear_soundwave

    Putting out a beta sounds like it could be fun...but then again...its a bit to late for that

    • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
      rustygun

      Mmm read the fors and againsts, but does that show inconfidence? I remember the treyarch demo for what what some say is still in the all time top three cods WAW. Didnt do their ssles much harm, treyarch were confident of an amazing product. Dont get me wrong, I still think/ hope that ghosts will be too, but if theres no demo atleast show us some finished game stuff before we shell out...

      • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
        otisman666

        rustygun wrote:

         

        Mmm read the fors and againsts, but does that show inconfidence? I remember the treyarch demo for what what some say is still in the all time top three cods WAW. Didnt do their ssles much harm, treyarch were confident of an amazing product. Dont get me wrong, I still think/ hope that ghosts will be too, but if theres no demo atleast show us some finished game stuff before we shell out...

        NOOOOOO!  I am completely ANTI - BETA!  WAW is the main reason why.  After pouring through the data from the BETA, 3arch nerfed the Thompson and we ended up with the MP5 the way it is today.  They also did something to the PIZZA gun, but I can't remember if it was good or bad.

         

        But seriously, why would Activ or IW bother with an open BETA?  It's time and $$ that they really wont see a return on.  As someone else pointed out, the first few months of the game is when they do all their FIXES that might be found through the use of BETA, but the fact that they don't do one still doesn't hurt sales.  So why bother?

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    codchamp

    Yes a beta would have been a great idea. But Activision no longer seems to do them.

     

    A few post above someone said it was all about playing the game early and not giving feed back during the beta. Just like with BF4. There is no reason to give back feedback. Just by you playing the game is all the feedback that is needed. For all the reasons a beta is there is really for a behind the scenes test of the system. Things like connectivity to the Multiplayer, System loads on the servers and obviously any faults that can be found with game play.

     

    These are THE exact reasons why they should have a beta for COD every year. The mulitplayers all play drastically different with each new title and it only seems like they get worse every year for online connection.

    • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
      trialstardragon

      Not true, they still need more feedback then just the players playing the game. For though data shows alot it still does not tell the entire story. Which is why personal feedback is needed from beta's. But the problem in that is not all feedback is always good feedback and can lead to other problems.

       

      A true beta is more than just system load tests and server loads. A true beta is an out of house quality control where players tell them about bugs and glitches found in the maps, weapons and other things.

       

      But many that do the beta think it is only about weapon balance so only really provide feedback on how they want certain weapons too or not too work. Which though helpful can be problematic when two opposing groups fight over how one weapon or group should be. Halo Reach and Bloom come to mind in regards to this...

       

      In the end it is just easier to not do them and then wait for players to complain later about the issues and wait for the yt vids showing up how to do the glitches so they can be patched at that point.

      • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
        codchamp

        I agree with everything you say. Lets look at Black ops 2 as the example as to why there should be a beta.

         

        Do you agree a beta would have largely helped Black ops 2 last year? With the known major connection issues that still plague that game? Not just in public matches but also one of the main reason why league was such a failure as well?  We had weapon balancing issues and a host of other updates that majorly affected game play.

         

        Black ops 2 was the only COD i did not play for the full year because of those problems and is the reason why i have such large doubts on the way ghost's is going to play online.

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    R0BL0X1234

    Who needs beta? Some of the major issues would have been caught early on by the game testers, and the smaller ones should be the ones that make it to Nov. 5

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    krpy

    they already had a few closed beta's what do you think all the gameplay from the cod commentators was from?

    • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
      maccabi

      krpy wrote:

       

      they already had a few closed beta's what do you think all the gameplay from the cod commentators was from?

      first round of gameplay  was from the mp reveal in LA as we had capture stations set up that was NOT a beta, second lot of gameplay came from Eurogamer as we had a special event to capture footage again NOT a beta.

       

      any gameplay footage you see previously and maybe in the near future would've come from these events or similiar NONE of it came from beta testing

      • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
        krpy

        it is a pre alpha version of the game so that the commentators and pro players could give feedback on what they liked and did not like about the game and to find glitchs like the on map insta kill spot that was found during one of there games kinda sounds like beta testing to me

    • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
      trialstardragon

      Ya don't really know what a beta is do you? From your reply it is obvious you don't...

      • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
        krpy

        seems to me like you have no clue to what you are talking about. A test for a computer product prior to commercial release. Beta testing is the last stage of testing, and normally can involve sending the product to beta test sites outside the company for real-world exposure or offering the product for a free trial download over the Internet. Beta testing is often preceded by a round of testing called alpha testing. there you go have a nice day

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    Izjar11

    nflfenatic wrote:

     


    With the release date a few weeks away and now that they are using dedicated servers shouldn't they put out a beta to test the servers. It never fails they put out their game and for the first month after release every time you try to play a game you have to download a patch that could have been been fixed before they released the game. And now with dedicated servers don't expect the lag discussions to not continue to dominate the forums. Just no more host migrations one can assume.

    Why, do you think what a few think is worthwhile will make the rest better? People will complain no matter what is added or removed. Let them work the connection issues out!

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    Project-VAG-DANO

    One way to do it could be to do a private beta test for active forum members only.

     

    You would get rid of most of the people who only want to play the game early, and have a group of people you know would actively visit the forums to give feedback.

     

    But as others have said, a beta isnt always a good thing, if someone doesnt like the way something works in said beta, chances are they'll avoid the purchase, more to point they'll probably over exagerate the things they dont like to their friends, who in turn retell the problems to their friends and so on which loses sales.

     

    While i agree, there is good cause for beta testing (Load Testing servers, final updates to gun balancing, fixing glitches etc) there are still downsides to it,

     

    Plus IW would then need to employ people in roles relating to the beta, receiving and reporting feedback (which can be very time consuming) which would in turn cost even more money.

    • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
      maccabi

      Project-VAG-DANO wrote:

       

      One way to do it could be to do a private beta test for active forum members only.

       

       

      oh dear g-d NO !!

       

      you have two forum people discussing something you automatically have three opposing viewpoints

      • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
        Project-VAG-DANO

        Only three?

         

        No i get what your saying, and i know everyone will have their own opinion on something, but surely some feedback is better than no feedback?

        • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
          maccabi

          Project-VAG-DANO wrote:

           

          Only three?

           

          No i get what your saying, and i know everyone will have their own opinion on something, but surely some feedback is better than no feedback?

          Im not saying feedback is bad it isnt its needed, but the problem is most feedback you get from players is on a micro level whereas devs have to think on a macro level.

          Mw3 is a good example of this feedback in action as alot of changes were made to the game directly from feedback from this forum. BUT that was mostly macro stuff that affected everyone (range of dead mans hand for example). The issue is this forum well the regs represent a teeny tiny % of the player base and most of the time the stuff they say is a result of what affects them in game as opposed to what would be better overall for the game. So yes feedback is important but then someone has to sort through it all

          • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
            Project-VAG-DANO


            Yeah very true, would be nice to be able to properly load test everything before the game launches though, remember back to the start of BO2 where the majority of players couldnt even get into a game, plus the constant crashes etc.

             

            Surely some of those issues could have been resolved before the launch of the game with some effective worldwide testing...

             

            But again theres is always the possibility for members to use the beta test time to just vent what they dont like rather than helping to resolve issues.

             

            Like i said in my first post, although there is some cause for beta testing, its not always a good thing.

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    Messier_83

    should not they put out a beta

    wat

  • Re: Shouldn't they put out a beta.
    PUR4IDO

    I think Beta's to the public are a waste. Ppl just play the game and give no positive feedback. Take Apple's IOS7 for example. 3 Beta's and the sheet still sucks. You had 1000's of non devs using IOS 7 that gave the devs no feedback. Even the devs could help that pile of junk out. Companies release beta's to get excitement up.