19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2013 5:01 PM by darkrangeresp RSS

Did any non-season pass holders boycott Black Ops 2 this weekend?

lonesapper

Treyarch just did a double xp/double weapon xp weekend just for Season Pass holders. And they did it in a kind of shady way. Instead of telling everyone who plays Black Ops 2 , they quietly sent an email to Season Pass holders and avoided telling everyone else about what was happening this weekend. Season Pass holders got accelerated xp and non Season Pass holders got xp at the regular rate. Essentially, they were using Non Season Pass holders as XP boosters. I know that they did this as a reward to people who bought the Season Pass, but it felt unfair to everyone else. So I spent this weekend playing GTA 5. My question is, did anyone else avoid Black Ops 2 this weekend, and if so, what did you play instead?

• Re: Did any non-season pass holders boycott Black Ops 2 this weekend?
    SrgntMerkWorthy

Didn't even know.  All well, they paid so maybe that extra little incentive to push people towards that extra purchase.  Extra incentive for the extra investment, cant hold it against them to much.  I bet I still killed them more anyways....MERK ON my friend

phxs72

You probably would be dismayed to know that Season Pass holders also received a title and NT Zombies for free.  There are perks to buying the Season Pass beyond the $10 savings.  If you want them then buy it next time.

PS: Folks that preordered the game got Nuketown 2025 at launch and enjoyed 2xp the first weekend.

The early bird gets the worm.

lonesapper

Oh, I'm not hating on them. Well, not too much anyways. I am just curious what the overall feeling is. But I also think it is a valid question at a time when Black Ops 2 is at the end of its cycle. Personally, I would be trying to draw more people to play the game and away from the competition instead of alienating a group of players. At this time most people I know have stopped playing BO2 altogether as they wait for Ghosts to come out. And they have alot to choose from. GTA 5 has taken away alot of players from BO2. Ultimately it doesn't matter, but I am trying to gauge if others saw this as just another reason to walk away from a title who's major lifespan is just about over anyway.

SrgntMerkWorthy

Yea the timing is questionable.  Maybe gave some extra incentive for players who may have stepped away to return for a weekend.  Its not like it costs them anything to offer that, so they arent losing anything, and are just providing for those who have assisted that extra bit in what they have already made.  I think like everytime a new COD comes out, people will try it and stick around for a little, and some will always go back to their favorite or keep playing the new one.  I personally will be plugged in on Ghost for a while weather I like it or not as it is new and depending on league/clan options (whatever they have) will stay or bounce back and fourth.  I enjoy league play, and pubs get boring after a while so Ghost will be a refreshing new start, and hope they have some competitive edge to keep me entertained once the pubs get old ( which will still prob take a few months at least).

SrgntMerkWorthy

by the way... I'm probably a little too excited for Ghosts... despite all the haters( who will always find something to whine about) , it looks sick to me.

Megadog14

I didn't get an email from them (perhaps it went into the spam folder?) I first found out when I booted up the game and the message of the day said it was 2xp for season pass holders. And like phxs said, theres perks to having the season pass. Compared to other games, double xp for a weekend is nothing (GOW season pass holders get perma-double xp!)

SitRepPro

Yeah and people moaned about that for Gears of War when I don't think it affected game balance in any way, unlike the unlock system in COD.  Actually if COD gave players perma double XP it would make it more worthwhile.  If people see it as a problem purely because people are paying for a leg up then perhaps they should look at the unlock system as being an issue itself.  BO2 was the first COD game to force max prestige to get everything unlocked.  As a result I have outplayed MW3 far more than BO2 because of the forced grind but I like BO2 better.

appledaniel

Yes it was a bonus for season pass holders, but im a season pass holder and it didnt help me any.  i wouldnt get too mad if your not a season pass holder, cause 2xp and 2x weapon xp does nothing for me or most with the season pass, as we have been prestige master since 2 months after the game came out! so 2xp is useless. Also, most my weapons are fully maxed, so double weapon xp does nothing either!  Its cool that they were trying to give season pass holders a bonus, but if you have been a season pass holder for awhile, those incentives didnt really offer us anything. i stopped playing about 2 months ago,deleted maps, etc, then came back about 2 weeks ago.  i played for like 2 days, but this game is done, the double xp etc didnt get many back to playing, too many problems that come along with this game. its done and over.

starbuckfrack

Yeah. I think its a ripoff since I didnt buy FIFA 2014 that they never sent me an email either.

You didnt need an email to know it was Double XP for Season Pass holders. It was on your TV when you played the game.

Even if you played anyway it didnt change the fact you still didnt get Double XP.

BTW I was playing GTA5 forever since the game came out. There IS a lot more to do then just shoot at people. But the game sucking isnt why I played it. Just because it was something new.

lonesapper

I have to point out, I never saw anything sent to me saying that it was double xp weekend. The only reason I discovered it was I was at a friends and it came up on his tv when he started up. In fact, it felt like Treyarch was trying to hide that it was a double xp weekend from non Season Pass holders. Whether or not that was their intention is anyones guess. Ultimately it doesn't matter because Black Ops 2 is in  the last couple of weeks of its major life cycle. Was this a reward for Season Pass holders? Yes. Did it possibly alienate other players into spending the weekend playing something else? Yes. Could they have used this as an opportunity to lure back old players who have since walked away? yes. But in the end none of that really matters. Maybe they will do another one in the next two weeks for the entire community. But even if they don't it, it isn't a big loss. Because there is always something else waiting to attract its players and Ghosts is right around the corner.

Fabiodens

It's not shady man, it's a form of reward for shelling out extra money to buy the season pass and believing the developers will provide something good.

Look at it this way, buying season pass is like buying something that you haven't seen or touched or heard about yet. You're placing blind trust in the company to provide you with something good. You believe.

So what better way to reward those gamers than giving something exclusive that they can only enjoy. Double XP is not even enough, if you ask me. I am not defending Treyarch or Activision and you do have a point. But, oh, look, kitty: http://goo.gl/gfzLGK

starbuckfrack

But why put it down at some kind of espionage tin foil hat type of thing ? Dont you think its possible they thought about it at the last minute ?

Did you ever think they decided to spring it out at the last second to push people into buying the season pass ?

There are a lot of things going on in this world people dont know about.

Does it mean all those people are getting ripped off ?

I didnt know last week was "Come and take it" day in a little town called Luling. Is it their fault the city of Luling didnt call me up and tell me ? Must have been the fault of that city employee that saw me forget to throw that soda can in the recycle bin.

deamonomic

wait for it... wait for it... aaaaand FACEPALM! people will complain over anything. So what if they gave an extra double xp weekend to those who spent extra money? why do you have an issue with that?

lonesapper

I think you are misunderstanding the question. Or trying to just lean the conversation to something it wasn't meant to be, which is a complaint session, instead of a gauge of how the community felt about it. But all right, in answer to what my personal problem with it is. They intentionally hid what was going on from people who were not season pass holders as long as they could. They sent it out in emails to season pass holders and they made sure that it was on their screens when they logged in. But if you were not a season pass holder, you weren't told that you were being used as xp boosters for the people who did have season passes. Let's keep in mind that many households have one console, but may have many players on that one console. So one person gets a Season Pass and the entire family now has access to all the maps that become available. Or the entire family can buy individual Season Pass's but what will they get for all that money spent? Access to a one time double xp weekend? They don't need all those Season Pass's for the maps because as soon as one of them have it, they all have access to it. Maybe it was an oversight. Maybe they intentionally didn't want non season pass holders from knowing what was going on. But if that is the case, then they were being shady to a large part of their community, by intentionally using non season pass holders to bolster the xp of those who do have the passes in their names and trying to conceal what was going on as long as they could. That is my opinion. Is it going to keep me from playing COD? No. Will I still buy and play Ghosts? Yes. Will I return to play Black Ops2 ? Yes.  Did I boycott Black Ops 2 this weekend to play GTA 5 because I felt that they were trying to pull something shady on a large part of the community, a community that has spent alot of money on their game and the separate map packs? Absolutely.

NorcalBob

I played a ton this past weekend, racing to get as much gold as I can before Ghosts comes out.  Couldn't care less whether or not there is Double XP or Double Weapon XP.  I killed a lot of folks this past weekend probably a bunch of those had Double XP and it didn't help them on bit.

... of course I got Quickscoped like crazy all weekend too.   Can't Wait for that QS crap to be Gone!

starbuckfrack

How many people in the world already are not ranked up fully and will benefit from this ?

Probably only me

darkrangeresp

Most of us have reached prestige master anyways.  The majority of those who haven't aren't going to prestige and just play the game with whatever they unlocked on their first go around.  So, if the season pass holders get one last weekend of 2x exp before ghost launches in a few weeks.  Then what is the big deal.