20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2013 8:34 AM by EmiliozGunz RSS

Bo2 causes ps3 to freeze and shut off when play cellblock

RonRibaudo

I just installed apocalypse dlc.  Origins works fine, but when I try to play cell block (grief) online when the match starts the music starts playing, I see a black screen, then the music cuts out, the screen stays black, my ps3 locks up, and then powers off after about 5 minutes.  The ps3 controller can't do anything while ps3 locked up.  I tried reinstalling the dlc with cell block.  No dice.  Is the new apocalypse dlc incompatible with old dlc?

• Re: Bo2 causes ps3 to freeze and shut off when play cellblock
    ATVIAssist

Hey RonRibaudo,

Sorry to hear the game is freezing when launching Cell Block in Grief. Can you first please check your games disc to see if there is any abrasions, scratches, or dust. If your PlayStation 3 is located in a enclosed shelf, cabinet, or drawer, please remove the system and try again. Since you tried deleting the game data and the issue continued, we would recommend to try contacting PlayStation with assistance on Restoring the File System as well as the shutting down issue. Since we are aware that the content is working as intended, please try playing another copy of the game on your PlayStation 3 or your disc on another PlayStation 3 to help identify issue. If the freezing is no longer occurring with a different disc, the issue may be the disc itself. Hope this helps. ^SM

narcosiz

I'm experiencing the exact same problem too. It started acting this way after I downloaded the dlc. I checked my disc, and cleaned it, with no blemishes/scratches, dings, or imperfections of any kind the disc is grade A, looking new as ever as most bluray discs do.

This is really frustrating, I am able to play the Town map pack and the new Origins Map pack fine, but cellblock DOES NOT work.

I am able to normally search for a match in the public lobby, once the teams are sorted, I hear the music while the game loads and immediately cuts off to a black screen, everything freezes, no response from the system or controller at all. RESTART being the ONLY option holding the button down.

I've tried multiple times and tried joining friends and nothing seems to evade this problem.

Any help on this problem would help - I opened this account for the purpose of this problem only

I would suggest anyone else having this problem to post

ATVIAssist

Hey narcosiz,

Sorry to hear you are also experiencing this issue. If you have also tried deleting and re-downloading the game data and the issue is still occurring, please try contacting PlayStation with assistance on Restoring the File System. This option will help your hard drive start loading and playing games more smoothly resulting in less freezing, faster data retrieval, and faster syncing of trophies. Also, if you are able to access the Options within Multiplayer, please select it and choose Install. This is intended to reduce strain on the PS3's Blu-ray drive during extended gameplay sessions. Like some of the steps mentioned, please give them a try and let us know if the issue continues, thank you. ^SM

ThEBaKeDcApEr

Fix it period it's your guys damn job to fix this sh*t  if you guys can patch/nerf every single decent multiplayer gun because whiny little kids say there op than yu can fix soething like this stop beings so damn lazy and do your goddamn jobs I've invested a hundred plus dollars into your game thinking it would be one of the best games in the series but I was wrong you've dropped the ball like the unfortunate guy in prison dropped the soap fix it don't tell me to call sony when it's your problem ******* douchebags.

ZombieHunter56

A lot of people are experiencing this problem on Cellblock. At least a dozen of my friends are having the same problem on Cellblock. I have been having this problem ever since I installed the Origin's map pack. How do we fix this?

narcosiz

Restoring the system file and that other jazz on that screen did nothing to resolve the problem. I was reluctant to post the solution as I believe we shouldn't have to accommodate the problem of something we paid money for - THEY should fix it.

BUT in the spirit of brotherhood, I was able to fix the problem

S O L U T I O N:

1) Sign in to PSN

2) Account Management (below PSN icon)

3) System Activation

4) PS3 System

5) Select 'Game'

6) Deactivate System

THIS worked for me after fiddling around on the PS3. In no way does it make sense, but it works.

I tested activating again but it creates the same problem so just leave it deactivated.

I hope they fix this as I don't consider this a 'permanent' fix (might interfere with other things) - but at least for now Cell Block works as do the other map packs.

Hope this helps you guys

ZombieHunter56

A LOT of grief players have been experiencing problems getting into Cellblock games. When it should go to the loading screen you just get a frozen black screen. This started happening after installing Origins.
    To fix the problem, from the XMB go to Game Data Utility, next delete all Black ops 2 data from here(you won't lose rank). You will then have to reinstall all DLC content. You must download Origins DLC FIRST, then you can download the rest of the DLC's.
    This is the only way to fix Cellblock for online play that I have seen and yes it is ridiculous and says a lot about the company and employees that the players have to find a way to fix Treyarch/Activision's mistake.

EmiliozGunz

The freezes might be in relation to a bad/corrupt download. These things can sometimes happen with any DLC for any game. That's why we suggest deleting the game data utility folder, and redownloading the content as this has been known to clear up the freezes/crashes.

We will continue to monitor these things. If you have any further questions or updates regarding the situation, then please let us know.

^JG

ATVI Support

ZombieHunter56

I played a couple dozen games of Cellblock yesterday and every other game I played someone had the black loading screen and couldn't get into the game. The mass majority of players out there have no idea why this is happening and have no idea how to fix it.

EmiliozGunz

Sorry to hear that Zombie!

If you can, try to direct these players to our support pages and we will be more than happy to assist them!

^JG

ATVI Support

EmiliozGunz

The message was merely meant to inform that if anyone is having an issue with maps, or freezes, then you can direct them to us so that we can troubleshoot the matter. Thank you.

^JG

ATVI Support

Zom631

I'm having the exact same problem myself.  No alcatraz after loading DLC 4. Trying to erase game data utility and reinstall as directed by customer service.  (fingers crossed, lots of downloading)

SjoerdvdBro

I'm having the exact same problem. Alcatraz is unplayable. Tried restoring file system and rebuilding data base, doesn't work. I've reinstalled the texture pack, doesn't work. I refuse to delete my game file folder and download everything again, this will take ages with my internet and my campaign save data will be gone too. I demand a patch for this, because how the hell can you somehow still f*ck this game up with the last DLC, while all previous DLC gave no problems!?

Zom631

So after erasing everything  in the game utility data of BO2 and redownloading all the dlcs in reverse order, the game and all maps do work again.  Treyarch should have patched this and saved me over an hour of my time considering I bought this game new with a season pass ~$110.  Where is the quality of service. This should have been tested before release.

SjoerdvdBro

Ok people, redownloading all the mappacks does work. Or at least in my case. I downloaded Apocalypse first and then the rest, I don't know if this did anything.