23 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 4:52 PM by polar-rising RSS

Latency

polar-rising

There is much speculation that if you have latency it cannot be fixed as each player is dependent on the host for a good connection.  However I find this logic flawed by one fact, there are some players who experience next to no latency at all and they are just as connected to the host as I am.  I've had crews from my internet company to my house twice to replace the modem and better my ping, yet the game is frustrating and almost unplayable 85% of the time.  I know this is not the experience of most players, so I have to figure it's something between activision servers and my ps3?

Here are my stats:

I'm using a Zoom 5350 cable modem through Time Warner

Speed test: 19mbps

Ping: 15-19ms

Hard wired

Ports forwarded with static IP

Usually no other devices running (laptop disconnected from net)

I have satellite tv, so no draw off the net

• Re: Latency
    OGHuxtable

Hi Polar-rising.

Thanks for posting.  Can you describe the latency you are experiencing (choppiness, sluggishness, etc.).  Have you noticed it happening in any particular game mode or playlist?  You stated the game is unplayable or you 85% of the time, are you also getting disconnected?  Additionally, have you noticed considerably more lag during peak hours or any other time frame?  Also, if you have a video of the issue you are having please provide that as well.

Thanks ^AH

polar-rising

Hi, thank you for being 'on it'.. I don't really ever get disconnected from games and it doesn't seem to matter which game mode (I do bounce around quite a bit).

I would say the problem is worse at certain times, I usually play sometime between 8pm-11pm pacific.  Is that a peak hour?  Why would that make my game play bad and not others in the same lobby?

As far as sluggishness or choppiness I'm not sure, whatever you would call it losing every time you go head to head (besides sucking lol).  Seriously though, I'd say it somewhat resembles a flip book in varying degrees.

I have saved numerous games on my channel, please let me know what you think.  Thanks!

OGHuxtable

Thanks Polar-rising,

Unfortunately, we are unable to access your account (privacy) to look into your theater.  If you could link us to a video so we can get a better understanding of what you are experiencing that would be most helpful.  If you haven't already done so, you may want to try changing the search preferences for a match to Best.  The search for a match may take a bit longer; however, it will try to place you in better quality games available.  Here's more info Activision Support

^AH

polar-rising

Yes, sometimes under the 'best' preference it becomes worse, sometimes it is worse under 'any'.  There seems to be no real difference between the preferences, nor is there any difference if I get 3 or 4 bars (usually I have all 4).  That's a bit disappointing that you can't view my channel, I will try and post a link asap.  Thanks again.

polar-rising

Sorry for the delay.. I was watching some of the worse games in theater mode and I noticed something odd.. the lag didn't seem to be picked up.  It was as if there was no latency at all according to the clips.  Maybe that will help with a diagnosis?

polar-rising

I'm really hoping to correct this issue.  There are some other really great games out there right now, but if I can get this sorted out will be more likely to try Ghost.  Looking forward to hearing back with your input!

polar-rising

Sometimes I get results by rebooting my modem(no router), I was desperate for some decent play last night so I unplugged it for a minute and restarted it.. still bad.  I'll explain again what it's doing.. it's almost like there are ten "mini-freezes" at a time, it seems to happen at the worst time, like running into an enemy lol.

This morning's results:

Ping- 33ms

Speed D- 22.62mbps

Speed U- 2.22mbps

Not the best ping today.. I will hook up laptop and run ping in cmd

phxs72

Just a thought because it happened to me and perhaps it's happening to you as well.  Have you checked your power levels on your router channels?  I had a problem awhile back with some mini-freezes, host disconnects and even occasionally my router would just reboot itself.  After looking into the error messages on my router via googling them, I discovered that the cause of this problem was a weak upload signal strength.  Sure I could surf the net but basically what would happen is my router was effectively whispering to my cable company and my cable company was telling it to speak up.  So my router would increase it's power levels to compensate and eventually those levels would get so high that my router would trigger a safety feature and shut itself down.  I ended up buying a signal booster to put inline with my router and that bought my power levels back down to where they should be and cured this issue.  It's not a lag cure all but it did help.  If you decide to get one be sure to get one with an active return.  Otherwise it won't help.  The one that I purchased was a Motorola BDA-K1-RA.

Zombie-Hell-Fire

That was explained to me as well but in my case my ISP adjusted something on their end. I think ISP's are conserving with power and the ones that are on the end of feed are experiencing issues.  That would save on money. That sucks they are making you pay for the power. Small fee but you can see where it would add up.

Edit: I'm paying for it too though because my monthly fee went up a few dollars but it would suck if yours did too and you had to also pay for the amplifier power? 

polar-rising

Thanks for your reply but I don't use a router, it's more of a modem.  I am also hard wired, aren't signal boosters for wireless?  I have replaced my modem 3 times trying to find a fix for the issue, none work better than the last.

Zombie-Hell-Fire

I aslo went through 3 modems to prove to my ISP that wasn't it. It's most likely your on the end of the feed and they need to come out multiple times like they did me just to fix it someway possible that is unknown. But not before they threaten you with a fee if they find out it's your end of 50 dollars. Then tell you it's your modem again and again or router and splitter ect. when it's not.

Basically what was explained to me at the end was other peoples are back feeding causing intermittent connectivity issues.  

phxs72

What you are thinking about is a wireless signal booster which basically just improves the range of your wireless connection.  I actually tried one of those and it was awful.  The lag was atrocious.  What I'm talking about physically gets hooked up to your cable and then you run your cable to the router.  Effectively, it boosts your hardwired connection.

OGHuxtable

Hi Polar-rising,

Although you have contacted your ISP in the past, if you are still experiencing this issue 85% of the time you may need to reach out them once more.  Additionally, here are a few tips offered by PSN that may help improve connectivity for you  Troubleshoot Wired Network Connection Problem on PS3

Let us know the results.

Thanks ^AH

polar-rising

Thanks for checking back in.  I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Time Warner today, and when tech support didn't produce I asked for level 2 support.  Level 2 tech said that monitoring my connection, there was nothing wrong with it.  Evidently the connection was consistent in speed and ping, so much so that there was nothing that could be done to improve it.  It seems that everyone is playing the blame game and I'm caught in the middle, please don't tell me you're throwing your hands up too!  I will look at the link you provided and post back what I find.

polar-rising

Thank you for the link however the trouble shooting guide is pretty limited and nothing there applies to this situation.  What will be the next step in gaining better play?

polar-rising

So just for giggles I bought an extension coax and moved my modem close enough to the console to use a 3' cable.  The game play is no better by doing so, in fact usually it isn't so bad in the middle of the day but the lag is seeming to be even more consistent.  I would say 85% might be conservative to be honest.  It's like, shuddery, like the game wants to work but it pulses.  A good portion of the time it is worse in a shootout, the game sometimes will freeze for a split second then I'm watching a kill cam of how I died.  I was using the 12 gauge long barrel in close quarters in Hijacked against a quick scoper, I got four, yes FOUR hit markers on him and he wouldn't go down.  OG, I am desperate to make this game work right.  I have invested hundreds of dollars and countless hours in an effort to do so.  Please hang in there buddy, I really would like to get this solved!

polar-rising

I have PM'd OGHuxtable and have gotten no replies.  It looks like he is done offering help.  Maybe there is a more knowledgeable mod around who'd care to help?  I will bump everyday just to say hi.

phxs72

I'm no expert but at this point you may have to consider that your modem may be going bad.  Or it could all be related to the time of day that you are playing.  I know when I play in that time range on the East Coast, I find myself in lobbies that are mostly hosted by West Coast players.  The lag is quite noticeable when that happens.  I'd imagine that if you are playing that late on the West Coast that it could be substantially worse for you given that Hawaii would be your closest neighbor and anyone else would be much further away.  Before I'd look at another modem, I'd try playing a couple of hours earlier and just see if it's any better.

polar-rising

Thanks for your reply, but as I said earlier I have not only replaced and upgraded the modem several times, but spent quite a while on the phone with the isp just the other day while they tested my modem, line, etc.  They have told me to rule out my modem.

I also said that as it was somewhat unusual, playing last weekend early in the day there was huge lag as well.  Not sure if lobby preferences work at all in finding "best", or if that has anything to do with where the host is in relation to where you are, but I'm doubting that the host in every lobby is from a far away land.  If that is the case, I wish a moderator would just say that so I might quit wasting my time trying to make it what it's supposed to be.

phxs72

Well if it helps any, the lag for me has been pretty spotty lately as well.  It wasn't always that way for me but at least for the last week it has been.  Some matches run great and others I can't even get my bullets to come out of my gun before I'm dead.  I suspect but don't know that it has something to do with their getting ready for Ghosts.  I don't know how much infrastructure has to go into setting up the dedis but that may have something to do with it.

TinyLittleTimmy

Hey saw your post on the latency. I've done extensive testing on this game and found that the issue lies between the combination of hops and matchmaking.

You should run Google's Namebench software on your PC to find the best DNS servers for your console in your area. Select the slow (unstable) option and Alexa 2000 search then run it. Looks like you know a little bit about routers, so then you can open up the ip for your console by DMZ, port fowards, etc, set ip packet priority to high for your console and low for everything else if you have gaming router. Finally go into your primary and secondary DNS settings and set them to the to fastest DNS servers you get from Namebench on the console.

The speed tests and pings you keep running on your PC have nothing to do with the speeds of your console since you never know what DNS the console will choose to tunnel through unless you make it static. There are a few sights that you can use on your console's browser to do ping tests if you don't believe me. My console speeds triple when I changed the DNS settings in my console networking options. If you do this correctly you will get an open nat in the game but the console's speed test will say uPnP is not available (you don't need uPnP if you're outside your firewall).

Your 1st game in a lobby will probably be great, 5 k/d or better with people from around your area but after that the matchmaking system will kick in, it will pick people that the matchmaking system thinks are as good as you are and drop them into your lobby on the opposite team to give you a little competition, then place all the losers on your team. This is how it is supposed to work, but what actually will happen is it will pick up some dude from half way around the world that lag kills everyone in the lobby because he gets a ton of lag compensation and put them on the opposing team, they will typically get about a 1 second full lead on everyone in the lobby. You will know who this guy is because you'll be shooting at his back while he shoots your teamates then you'll fall dead before he even turns toward you.

Anyway, that's the best you can do to fix the problem, backing out and re-inviting your friends after each match will probably help you get less lag depending on how many people are playing the game. Also try to play when everyone else in your area plays the game (not at 2am). If you see a lot of foreign flags on the banners or hear foreign jibbering just leave the lobby right away.

polar-rising

Dang man, that is the most insightful, relevant, and useful information I've seen on this issue.  You have read and understand my thread in it's entirety and provided details on a very viable option.  You are the man.

If you google time warner cable internet and gaming, the 1st hundred results are about how bad it is (clogged infrastructure?).  My options are that and dsl (3mb).  I have ordered dsl service starting tomorrow just to check it out with no commitment.  It will be interesting to see any difference and if it was my awesome crappy internet all along lol.  I will post results and if there is no improvement I will absolutely try your method above.  I'm wary about dmz but will attempt the rest for sure. Thank you, sincerely!