22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2013 3:27 PM by Padiego RSS

Call of Duty Players 'Aren't Hardcore Gamers', Says Infinity Ward

MajorStains

Ok, ok. Don't shoot the messenger.

But according to the following article written by Luke Karmali for IGN

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/21/call-of-duty-players-arent-hardcore-gamers -says-infinity-ward?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Executive Producer Mark Rubin goes on to say

"It's kind of a weird, ironic thing to say; They aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers, but they play Call of Duty every night. And those guys are going to continue to play regardless of platform. So I think not only will we continue to engage with that existing player base, but we'll take next gen and see how far we can go with it."

Seems to me like a bit of a weak story, and a little narrow minded to even label gamers in any way.

Whether you play Call of Duty or Candy Crush, you are a gamer.

Any further label place upon the word gamer is a mere reference to frequency of play and nothing more.

Its as base as labelling people for their musical tastes or how often they listen to it.

• Re: Call of Duty Players 'Aren't Hardcore Gamers', Says Infinity Ward
    maccabi

I think what you'll find Mark meant was the majority of people who play CoD do so as a choice of  entertainment , as opposed to being what the dictionary.com definition of a "gamer" might be.

Playing a game for entertainment doesn't necessarily mean you're a gamer i mean i read a loads of books that doesn't mean im a "scholar"

fissuresofrequent

MajorStains wrote:

Seems to me like a bit of a weak story, and a little narrow minded to even label gamers in any way.

Whether you play Call of Duty or Candy Crush, you are a gamer.

I can see where IW is coming from. Call Of Duty is kinda of like the dog of video games comparing pets to video games... "Mans best friend" Most people have a dog. That doesn't mean they're animal or dog fanatics. It's just kind of the norm.

With this generation most people will tell you they own some sort of a console or a way of playing a game(Especially guys) whether it's to pass time when bored or to come home to play for 30 minutes after a long day. Most people don't go on youtube to watch gameplays, post on forums about the game they're playing or even keep up with launch dates for specific things.

T-boss

1. i agree with him for the most part, cod is a casual game to me.

my list of gamer types.

1.nolife- gamer that plays 1-2 games as if they are the only that exist, still plays alot.

2. casual- gamer that plays occasinaly, often for fun, more of a pass time.

3. hardcore, requires multiple consuls that are actively played(PC counts), also plays a large variety of games, plays games regurly, if youo want to know if they are hardcore they should be able to play/talk about any game.

4. gamer, anyone who plays videogames as a pass time.

thats how i group it.

NoLifeKing29

Rubin just needs to not speak and focus on putting out his first good game in his career. Then, instead of speaking, he can get to work supporting it. No talking, just listening.

xThatTributeGuyx

I have to agree with Mark on this one though. Playing one game doesn't make you a gamer, even if you play 40+ hours a week of that game. If all you play is CoD, then you're a CoD Player or a Hardcore CoD Player. You have to play several games to be considered a gamer. It doesn't matter if you play one game for an hour or two one day, another the next day and so on and only get 10-15 hours of gaming a week, or if you get 40+ hours of gaming in a week; what matters is that you are a fan of video games in general, not just one franchise.

xThatTributeGuyx

I am sorry, but even by definition, a gamer is some one who plays games; plural, as in more than one. While Mark Ruben may not get to define what a gamer is, it seems that the dictionary can and has. Call yourself a gamer all you want, but if all you play is Call of Duty, you're no gamer.

NoLifeKing29

Welp, since BO2 and MW3 are different games, I guess that makes the people that only play those two games, gamers. Not that I believe for a second that there are people out there who only own COD games.

xThatTributeGuyx

Trust me, there are loads of people who only play Call of Duty games and that is who Mark Ruben is saying aren't gamers. I know tons of people who are Call of Duty this, Call of Duty that, but you ask them what they think of Assassin's Creed, they'll go, why would I play that shitty as game? It's not Call of Duty, I am not playing it. Most players I know can't even tell you how to beat the original Super Mario Bros. in a matter of minutes. Why? Cause they're not real gamers. Hell, most "gamers" can't even tell you what the first game was, and most of those who guess or think they know, are wrong. I mean, I've had people tell me Makarov was the best villian in all of gaming, and I just look go huh. Have you never heard of Sephiroth, Bowser, Ocelot? And they respond, Sephiroth who? Come on man, calling yourself a gamer and you don't know who Sephiroth is, is like calling yourself a movie buff and not knowing the significance of rosebud.

Here is all I am going to saying, a gamer can play Call of Duty, but playing Call of Duty doesn't make you a gamer. I think that is what Mark Ruben was trying to say and you're taking it as a slap in the face when I see it as the truth. If you saw this as Mark Ruben insulting the Call of Duty community and the gamers within, then you obviously don't feel comfortable with your own claim of being a gamer. This doesn't insult me because I know Mark Ruben isn't addressing me. I know myself to be a gamer who was a gamer back before it was cool to be a gamer. I was a gamer when you were considered a dork if you could beat certain games without the assistance of a Game Shark. All Mark Ruben was saying is that there are people that don't even play games, but they'll pick up Call of Duty and play it for hours on end, and that is very true.

MajorStains

I can't believe there are people out there who solely play CoD and nothing else.

Yes, there are those people out there who eat, sleep and live Call of Duty.

But I struggle to believe they never, ever play anything else on their console, phone or whatever.

I just feel it is unjust to pigeonhole people so easily, because they game in a certain way.

Snobbish and elitist even.

Its like people who call out others for camping, or QSing.

Love it or hate it. It's just playing the game how you want. Within the confines of the game.

Nobody has the right to tell them what they are or what they do is wrong.

(In my humble opinion that is)

But you do make some very valid points otherwise TributeGuy.

The_Tickler

I actually completely agree with this. I barely play any video games at all, but if Ghosts comes out on the Wii U and fixes most of the problems I listed in this topic, I'll buy it and play it.

Dforums

Good thing he didn't say he had binders full of women or everyone would be going crazy.  No need to overanalyze, it just means there are a wide variety that play CoD.

Padiego

This is the way I see it.

There's 3 kinds of people who play CoD...actually there's more, but let's narrow it down to three so we're not here all night long.

Casuals. Them filthy casuals who only play CoD and other games every now and then.

Call of Duty-ers. Those who play only play CoD or CoD-like games. Basically those who do not wander off very far.

Gamers. Those who see games as an art form and not simple entertainment.

I would classify myself as a gamer, as my library is varied and I am not biased when it comes to reviewing a game(most of the time ). I play CoD, I play platformers, other FPSs, first person adventures, strategy, third person adventure, third person sandbox, first person sandbox, indie games, etc. I love games as much as a bookworm loves books and a film fanatic loves films. The same way one can have a discussion about Tale of Two Cities or Scarface, I can have a discussion about Super Mario 64 and how the fish Ai in that game is superior to Ghosts'.