26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 11:52 AM by OFC-Giorgio RSS

Wii/wiiu sales numbers that should make us happy with cod on wiiu in the first place

OFC-Giorgio

We should be happy to have cod on the wii/wiiu (with wiimote support) in the first place considering the decreasing sales numbers on wii/wiiu:

Source:

www.vgchartz.com

@ 5 oct 2013

total units sold

1 m = 1,000,000

wii cod32.19 m
wii waw1.87 m
wii mwr1.48 m
wii bo1.28 m
wii mw30.66 m
wiiu bo20.20 m

Currently online people on the wiiu cod: around 1000-2000 so between 0.5% and 1% of the total 200,000 units sold.

Numbers of all cods & platforms:

Source:

www.vgchartz.com

@ 5 oct 2013

total units sold

1 m = 1,000,000

xbox waw

ps3  waw

wii  waw

6.98m

5.04m

1.87m

xbox mw2

ps3  mw2

wii  mwr

13.09m

10.21m

1.48m

xbox bo

ps3  bo

pc   bo

wii  bo

14.03m

12.04m

1.47m

1.28m

xbox mw3

ps3  mw3

pc   mw3

wii  mw3

15.03m

12.88m

1.58m

0.66m

xbox bo2

ps3  bo2

pc   bo2

wiiu bo2

12.77m

10.79m

0.98m

0.20m

Based on these numbers one might even understand why full support and DLC is not present on the wii(u):

So ORDER COD GHOSTS NOW and SUPPORT the WIIU TROOPS :-)

Regards,

OFC Giorgio

• Re: Wii/wiiu sales numbers that should make us happy with cod on wiiu in the first place
    MajorStains

You can't beat the cold hard truth of statistics. And when presented in a table then it's as good as gospel...

But joking aside. You are absolutely right, there is no denying it.

Should we be grateful they are tossing us dogs a bone?

Well, I'm of the fence there.

Part of me says 'hell yeah' anything since W@W has been a privilege and we should be considered lucky.

But another part of me thinks the developers should be embracing the Wii U.

Trying to innovate with the hardware they are working on, create a unique gameplay that will attract more consumers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Wii U could handle it, it just takes time and patience.

Even Dice are saying how hard it has been to develop for the next generation of consoles.

As Giorgio says though, bottom line is all about profit. And it doesn't take a financial genius to see those figures don't add up.

Why would you throw all that time and money creating DLC for 2000 gamers? You just wouldn't.

Ghosts on the Wii U is what it is.

They may as well call it the "Call of Duty - 2014 Map Pack - Wii U Edition"

Whether, I will fold and get it again. I'm not sure.

Seeing those figures in decline just reminds me how many great friends I used to play with and have moved on.

Do I join them, or do I stick it out till the gritty end with you lovely people?

• Re: Wii/wiiu sales numbers that should make us happy with cod on wiiu in the first place
    T-boss

its a pretty safe bet that cod was profitable on the wii. on the wiiU its questionably primairly to the low install base. if the intall base scales evenly with the amount sold it would be ruffly 60-70% of the xbox sales.

also the wii version sales droped and MW3 (and the playerbase also stuck with BO), aka the nintendo install base is ALOT more sensative to the gameplay quality, unlike the PS3/360 install base which buys early and then complains when activision already has their money.

the quality sensativity is also present in the PC gamers.

also i will wait to hear if the game is good before buying.

sangoku116

COD 3 Wii sold ore than the PS3 version almost the same ammount than XBOX360. Call of Duty should make an effort to get nintendo sales because if they don't do anything, they won't sell anything more.

OFC-Giorgio
    wii/wiiuxbox
    ps3

cod32.19
    waw1.87-15%waw6.98waw5.04
    mwr1.48-21%mw213.09+88%mw210.21+103%
    bo1.28-14%bo14.03+7%bo12.04+18%
    mw30.66-48%mw315.03+7%mw312.88+7%
    bo20.20-70%bo212.77-15%bo210.79-16%

These are the same figures from above but sorted by platform and showing the yearly increase or decrease of sales.

Incredible_Mr

Paulys spot on in that we have always had the same BS support and yet figures have dropped markedly since WAW. Truth be told, BO2 has been by FAR the best supported cod game on Nintendo.

Ive read in a few places lately that cod players just buy and play cod, end of, well thats deffo true for me, so the theory behind more people buying Zelda might encourage people to buy cod etc is false. A few might try, but they`ll suck at it, and leave. cod is like no other game, its a one off, you either love it or hate it. The allies ive had over the years, many of them, most I dont know, pretty much play EVERY day - its get you like no other game, its got the levelling up which is addictive, weapon levelling, emblems, its got the key ability for busy people to just hop on for 10-20 mins at a time. I think the people who have played cod on the wii, have moved onto the wiiu, we may pick up a few of them this xmas, people who can now afford a U , but other that I cant see the community growing.

I get the lack of support , I really do, I dont get why they dont drop us a patch occasionaly, but I dont know what goes into a patch, and how soon they start on the new game, and what the staffings like etc so wont complain. I get why we dont get DLC , kind of.

The game is that good, it wounds us time and time again, regarding lag, OP weapons, trolls, etc etc but we keep coming back to get that brilliant god like game, to get that piss poor lobby, to get that next level, to get that gold camo. The game costs peanuts , last 12 months and has NO competition in its field, whats not to like?

Incredible_Mr

The U clearly will take a steep decline because originaly it was kids playing in the main, kids with no money, when BO2 dropped you needed a new console to play it on, so they couldnt buy the game. Some will come this xmas, and prob some next xmas, but not many.

If your buying ghosts on the U , you know what to expect. No DLC, no support after xmas, very small playerbase with limited modes to play, and this follows that you play the same people night after night. We know whats coming, deal with it, or dont buy it.

like2nap03

Incredible_Mr wrote:

The U clearly will take a steep decline because originaly it was kids playing in the main, kids with no money, when BO2 dropped you needed a new console to play it on, so they couldnt buy the game. Some will come this xmas, and prob some next xmas, but not many.

If your buying ghosts on the U , you know what to expect. No DLC, no support after xmas, very small playerbase with limited modes to play, and this follows that you play the same people night after night. We know whats coming, deal with it, or dont buy it.

More like no support after March.

True though that things will basically be the same. 

OFC-Giorgio

Initially I only played the great wii sports/tennis game for a few weeks and after the novelty wore off the wii was collecting dust for months/years until by accident I ran into world at war's multiplayer mode.

For me (and most OFC peeps) the magic little wii box with its lovely intuitive wiimotes has been just/only the

call of duty box

(with world at war, modern warfare reflex, black ops and modern warfare 3).

Except for the hackers the gameplay has been great fun despite the low end graphics and player/killstreak/map/options limit.

The wiiu is now (for 95%) the new cod box (although I did purchase the great Lego city game as well as Assassin's Creed and I also like the wiiverse, internetbrowser and netflix on the wiiu).

I still hold the hope that ghosts will sell better than bo2 since:

• people already purchased the wiiu console so buying the new cod ghosts game is much cheaper than buying the console + a game
        • more people purchased the wiiu console in the last 6 months (and after the release and hype of bo2)
        • the release date for bo2 for wiiu was later than the release date of xbox/ps3 (i.e. that was an extra incentive to get the xbox/ps3 version) and for ghosts they are the same

So for me the wiiu is the latest shooter/cod box with wiimote support and hope for more cod games to come.

But then again I am not part of the COD targeted market/audience (not a teenager, not a dual analog user but wiimote user, hardcore game mode and less arcadish) and I can see to some extent that games like mario, zelda, etc. are more kid friendly (12-)  wiiu material than shooters for "adults" 16+ (or 40+ ).

WiimotesRus02

Have you seen the latest tv ad for ghosts? The only console mentioned is xbox, nothing else. And further more, it says nothing about x2 xp or freefall when you pre-order. So now they don't even talk about that for xbox, which i'm sure will make people think that it is available on all platforms. Reverse psychology.

T-boss

love how the big drops are related to quality. while BO2 is quality+small playerbase.

and the xbox/PS3 sales lag behind quality. sales will likly go down further on those system even if the game was good.

Treize

The reason why sales went down can be attributed to several factors

1. Hackers making Wii CoD games unplayable, some of the patches we got for BO and MW3 were created to stymie hackers showing how early they were in the game, also since hackers pirated their copy of the game, it's a lost sale as well.

2. Lack of support for the system and ZERO advertisement. Reflex got some screen shot published after that, NOTHING outside of 'Confirmed for Wii'

3. Inferior port of the 360/PS3 version, your only excuse for getting it for the Wii was basically you didn't own either other system.

Ghosts is going to have worse sales unless they fix the balance between the Wiimote and Gamepad, but that won't happen.

nintendon't

VGChartz is fake. They just get their numbers from interviewing random people about what games they purchased instead of actual sales statistics.