24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2013 8:56 AM by SK8Mojo RSS

Minimum of 90 FOV is a MUST for PC

Scrullet

Seriously guys, I'm getting fed up with games on PC not having the option to change field of view. It is a HEALTH concern. I for one suffer from extreme headaches or nausea if I even try to play a first person shooter at 60-65 FoV and I'm sure it's the same for many more. The engine is a modified Quake engine is it not? Even in Quake you could set it extremely high. What's stopping you from putting in a basic slider or even letting us edit the config file? Let me guess... lazy animations? Do you not want us to see the unfinished animations if the FoV extends the arms and gun out more? Or do you consider it an unfair advantage to the other PC gamers that don't want to or know about FoV in the video options? I'm only guessing here.

I have pre-ordered the PC Hardened edition which cost me a lot of money. I don't want to have to turn the game off forever after an hour or so of play time. I was pumped to hear that PC was getting extra special attention this time around for Ghosts, but then to hear that an FoV slider ISN'T planned!? I really hope that a patch is cooked up post launch. Fingers crossed someone sees sense.

• Re: Minimum of 90 FOV is a MUST for PC
    SK8Mojo

I cancelled my order today due to Fov ,FPS locked at 60, screen resolution and servers. Fov should not be locked you should be able to set it to what you want. Same goes for FPS locked at 60 all this stuff is very wrong. It may work for the console gamers but it fully does not work for PC gamers. I like my fov at 100 so I fully understand you on this.

Quake was the best I had my q2 server 10 years fully loved q2 and this was how I learned so much on settings be it in game or server side. And in q2 I had my fov at 120 lol. When the game comes out let me know as I will not buy this game until they unlock FPS ,Fov and I know the game can do my screen resolution. As well as let us pick what server we game on. By the info for pc I was able to find and dont know if its all true yet. But from what I found it feels like we are being forced to game like its a console and not a PC and this is why I cancelled my order.

dmcginnis

I was pumped to hear that PC was getting extra special attention this time around for Ghosts.

Heh, i don't think so, heck we can't even reserve our clans on PC.... that is real special attention. I don't believe anything till i see it , from any developer of (console to PC) games.

Momba1

I get more headaches going from a 90 FOV to ADS zooming in and out like a yo-yo, and I can play either way. Supposedly the FOV > 65 will be implemented sometime down the line so it's not effecting my order. See ya!

radical_53

If there was a slider, you could choose though. The way it's supposedly right now, or the way it is in MW3, we can't.

I only zoom in, or rather ADS, because the bullet spread is tighter. The "plus" in player model size is nice, but not needed. At least not most of the time.

Momba1

I'm the last to argue against a FOV of 90 - period. I go back and forth often between 75-80 and 90 and one of the top BO2 players, TheXDeity, only uses 65 and he's a 100% rusher and uses as I do an AR i.e. only hip-firing as a last resort. On an SMG and in close range + Dexterity sure hip-fire...

CYBER-NINJA-187

I am in total agreement with the OP, a 90 degree FOV is a must and a slider would give us all more options to play around with. As I’ve been gaming with an 80-90 deg FOV since CoD 4, anything else just seems claustrophobic and gives me headaches and eye strains too. So a default of 65 degrees would be a total disaster for me and many others too!!!

The fact that IW has been extremely tight lipped on this and only stated that there will be no FOV slider at launch, with one perhaps coming post-launch? Gives us hope for the future, but nothing more than that. Actions speak louder than their words and until they deliver it, this silence leaves us all hanging and feeling frustrated.

However, the default FOV in Ghosts may be set higher on the PC version? It may well be set at something like 80 degrees? Which was the default setting on CoD 4. This is pure speculation on my part and may explain why they have been so tight lipped? I am not defending IW here, as the lack of information released is bordering on the side of pathetic now. I would be happy to play with an initial FOV of 80, but I would prefer it to be adjustable to 90 degrees. If only they would just come out and say something along those lines? Their silence is the one thing which grates on this community more than anything else. Poor communication only leads to anger, frustration and dissent amongst its loyal fan base. So yet again we call for a PC Community Manager. Come on IW you say you’re listening, well actions DO speak louder than words, so come on - READY UP!!!

SK8Mojo

Now correct me if I am wrong on all this but it seems like with the newer COD games all they do is port it from console to PC and this is why PC gamers lose out on settings we should have. If this is true why don't they just stop making games for PC and stick with console. I know many PC gamers who will not even touch COD games anymore due to not being able to pick your own servers, fov and fps lock on Ghosts.

When I told my clan I was going to try COD again all I got was lol due to it be like gaming on a console/ xbox even to you spent big $$$ on the PC

Momba1

SK8Mojo wrote:

Now correct me if I am wrong on all this but it seems like with the newer COD games all they do is port it from console to PC and this is why PC gamers lose out on settings we should have.

Well the games are written on a PC and optimized for consoles (emulators) and the PC is more-less a re-porting of the game. FOV initial release issues aren't new to Ghosts, and at some point there will be a 'FOV Slider' .. maybe. I say maybe only because for the first time in the 'Clan Wars' you'll be able to play the PC v/s Consoles and since their FOV is locked at 65 my 'guess' is why IW also is locking the FOV to the same i.e. no perceived advantages; we all know there is an advantage to PC over Consoles so that aspect of the game will indeed be interesting.

Supposedly, there will be rentable un-ranked servers but I still haven't seen anything official from IW or Activision other than that re-Tweet from a third-party.

Scrullet

There wont be any cross platform.

SK8Mojo

What I don't understand then is why my screen res 5760 x 1080 NEVER lol never works correct but only with COD games all other fps are fine but cod always looks stretched. So I have had to use wide screen fixer and in this day and age this is just wrong lol

Momba1

It's the same problem for anything > 16:9, i.e 2560x1080, and the solution you're running is it.

CYBER-NINJA-187

Momba’s words ring true. The issues you are experiencing may be somewhere within your settings, have a look on the wide screen forum. But sadly the most likely reason for your issues, are due to the game either not being coded for a triple monitor set-up? The engine can’t handle the increased real estate? Or it’s just not optimised for the 5760x1080 resolution? And why is this such a frustrating scenario? Well the answer is most probably due to the fact that console crunchers do not use triple monitor set-ups.

SK8Mojo

It fully is not my settings as in BF 3 and 4 beta zero issues as well as other much older games. I have had this res since Samsung made this monitor so like mmm almost 5 years now I think. Maybe a bit less but either way its been years so I fully do know how to make it good to go in game. And always COD games :/ so I think you are correct it is just not optimized even tho in game it allows me to set it up or COD games just think of  console players

Momba1

Pff...duh...yep pretty much, and no it makes no damn sense and frustrates a lot of folks...me too!

I seriously looked at 2560x1080 monitors ... then I read all of the frigging 'stretching' issues and all the backwards compatibility issues and said screw it and got a 2560x1440 monitor and yep the images are exactly the same 16:9.

SK8Mojo

In other games my monitor resolution has zero issues it is a amazing resolution to game with. Just not good for COD games 

Scrullet

I get by with my 16:10 22" monitor. 1680X1050

I bought it for the 120hz so I could game at a higher frame rate.

SK8Mojo

I just always play in my config and in game settings for higher FPS as well as my desktop Nvidia settings  :] In the BF4 beta I ran my full screen resolution 5760 x 1080 and had a solid 80 FPS and in some spots 120 FPS my video card is GTX 690. Also I always set the eye candy to low or just off as FPS way more important to me then eye candy lol.

Edit / add..... Not banking it will happen but I did post on the COD YouTube site this AM for them to make a video just for PC. Regarding  FPS and Fov as well as servers and high  screen resolutions if it is fixed in Ghosts. If they care at all about PC they will do it and spell it out fully to us what we get on PC come Nov 5 So far most of our info not all but some is just not 100% we need to know what is what for PC. Ya I know I have my dreams but a girl has to try