31 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2013 5:52 AM by SK8Mojo RSS

This is why we can't have nice things

afflictedmed

USA Pre-Order Chart - VGChartz

CoD Ghost on PC isn't even in the top 40 pre-ordered games.  This is why they don't pay attention.  The consoles have 1 million + pre-ordered and we have less than 50K.

• Re: This is why we can't have nice things
    CYBER-NINJA-187

How/where did you get those figures? As I can’t locate them on the VG chart. 

Momba1

Typicaly the PC sales is a fraction of the console sales, or about 1/15th Xbox and 1/10 PS3 so I'm not too terribly surprised. I typically wait to the last second and grab the best deal I can find. I did notice GameStop had a special buy 2 pre-orders and get one free...

SK8Mojo

I know why my friends who game on PC no longer buy COD it is due to all the locks they put on..... this is what I got from others. No disrespect  to anyone this is just what I got from other PC Gamers......

1- lock on fps in ghosts at 60

2- last few cod games the game picks server for you

3- No fov settings in game

4- trying to make PC gamers feel like a xbox game COD games in the last few years is like a windows for dummy's hand book settings taken away etc

5- not sure if this is true but not allowed to play in your config

6-COD games don't work correct with high resolution even tho game has it in video settings.<--this one is one is fully mine lol

7-Been lied to with other COD games on what will be in games for PC then never happens.

8- To many hackers playing  COD games now and nothing is done to stop it.

9- No more dedicated servers / being able to rent and build a server and have it ranked by said game.

10- Small maps and small servers they want large maps with 64 ppl

Tommy92gunner

This is accurate, for an IW game, 3ARC attempted to please by at the very least allowing a slider and the choice to unlock FPS, but your correct about everything else, although there will never be anything higher than the magical 18 players, its sad I know.

SK8Mojo

It is very sad and even more so when one looks at how PC gamers made COD rule back in the day. Now they have fully killed it for PC its fully a console game and no longer for PC as all good settings are gone as well as large maps. Every time I try and come back its more and more like a xbox / console game and fully sad

CYBER-NINJA-187

Let’s stay optimistic and not call in the Grim Reaper just yet. Wait till the game actually releases and what occurs post-launch, before we make that call. You never know we may all be pleasantly surprised? IW just might live up to the hype and deliver all that the PC community desires? And just think; those of us that played from day one, will have the edge on all the doubting Thomases, who chose to wait and see!!!    

Lemwise

If IW/3arc/Activision hadn´t stopped paying attention to what pc gamers want the number would be much higher. But they didn´t do that did they. Instead they chose to give pc gamers a crippled game and as a result pc gamers left the franchise. They made it clear a long time ago they don´t want us to have nice things and this time around it won´t be any different.

MrAdaptability

Does this really surprise anybody? PC is simply a smaller market than console. The most played game on Steam is DOTA 2 with 500k players at peak times. COD is the most played game on console and it peaks at 3-5 MILLION players online at a time. PC is a niche platform in comparison. So of course it's going to sell less. Also another thing to keep in mind is Steam doesn't release sales numbers so the only PC sales numbers you have to go off of are retail and let's be real here a lot of PC gamers don't buy retail games anymore.

afflictedmed

Good point about Steam.

CYBER-NINJA-187

Let’s face it a console is just a cheap PC, with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. The fact of the matter is this, the game is developed on PC’s, built on PC’s, run by servers aka PC’s, updated by PC’s and evolved by PC’s. This is just to please the mass market of an inferior gaming platform. This entire new tech is driven by PC’s, without a PC any game just would not exist.

The only thing we can thank the console community for, is the funding they have provided to allow the growth of on-line gaming to become mainstream. The digital age is solely being driven by the PC, in years to come a PC will replace all consoles in the living room, as a true multi-media platform and home entertainment system. The PC is simply the ultimate platform and a test-bed for new tech!!!

maccabi

CYBER-NINJA-187 wrote:

in years to come a PC will replace all consoles in the living room, as a true multi-media platform and home entertainment system. The PC is simply the ultimate platform and a test-bed for new tech!!!

its already here ..they are called consoles.. developed as a multimedia pc that anyone can use..

CYBER-NINJA-187

True. The only difference between a console and a PC, is the hardware and a controller instead of a keyboard and mouse. As #PCGamers there are a lot of us who take great pride in our gaming rigs, spending a lot of money on our hardware. So as we have invested a sizeable amount of our hard earned cash, why should we not be able to enjoy gaming at the highest level? IW has repeatedly stated that they want to deliver the best gaming experience possible. The omission of basic features like a FOV slider, to name just one, is the developers’ not delivering on that promise. So our frustration and disappointment continues sadly.

maccabi

CYBER-NINJA-187 wrote:

The omission of basic features like a FOV slider, to name just one, is the developers’ not delivering on that promise. So our frustration and disappointment continues sadly.

you know you keep going on about the fov slider , like its some g-d given right to have one in a pc game , lots of pc games dont and there are very good reasons why they dont. While you may think its just an easy thing to add one, fov sliders cause massive issues for developers as you then have to code for something that isn't static in nature and have to allow for the changes in huds, graphics and a whole heap of things.Its alot easier to develop a game based on a set fov.

CYBER-NINJA-187

LOL Thanks for the info. The quote of an FOV slider was the first thing which came to mind, so it wasn’t me ”Going on about it”. From experience playing with a narrow FOV gives me headaches and eye strains; MW 3 was unplayable to me until I started using an FOV tool. Ones health is a person’s number priority, because without good health you are useless and unable to function normally. Let alone perform to the best of your abilities. So yes I do take FOV’s seriously and voice my concerns, in order to protect my well being!!!

Edit; I left out unable to game with poor health!!! LOL

SK8Mojo

We always had access to change the fov back in the 90's and most games still do via game config if nothing else. It all comes down to some game makers have gotten lazy Like you said its a lot easier to develop a game based on a set fov and that is just pure lazy. Some people get headaches and such with lower fov and even sick. My fov is always at 90 or 100 .... most games I have it set to 100. So for me Fov is also a big issue as well

maccabi

SK8Mojo wrote:

We always had access to change the fov back in the 90's and most games still do via game config if nothing else. It all comes down to some game makers have gotten lazy Like you said its a lot easier to develop a game based on a set fov and that is just pure lazy. Some people get headaches and such with lower fov and even sick. My fov is always at 90 or 100 .... most games I have it set to 100. So for me Fov is also a big issue as well

its only "lazy" if you dont understand how games are made and think its ""easy"

MrAdaptability

As someone who has experience with game design and actively studies it , you have no idea how wrong you are. It's extremely easy to code around adjustable variables. Also as a game developer you should want to give your players as many reasonable options as possible, specifically when talking about PC gaming where players come to expect these types of options. So yes it is lazy and also poor practice.

SK8Mojo

No disrespect to you but oh please this is a FPS war game not the sims this is all basic settings in a good FPS war game . So yes I call lazy. They cant even fix the screen resolution issue in all new COD games the last 5 years if that's not lazy what is. People have to use wide screen fixer programs to game correct in all COD games. And all that is a lazy game developer as they never fix the issue.

When I play BF3 I set my screen resolution in game and oh look it works correct When I play any new COD game it looks all stretched and I have to get a wide screen fixer. So yes I call lazy full on lazy as they never fix it in any new COD game. We pay big money to play said games so Yes I expect them to build a PC game correct and for the in game settings to work not look all stretched. In truth I don't care how hard it is bottom line they need to fix things if they want the games to sell. Also, I never said it was easy your words not mine but yes sir I full on call LAZY!

afflictedmed

CYBER-NINJA-187 wrote:

Let’s face it a console is just a cheap PC, with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard. The fact of the matter is this, the game is developed on PC’s, built on PC’s, run by servers aka PC’s, updated by PC’s and evolved by PC’s.

Thats more true with the next gen consoles as they are using X86 architecture (Windows PC based).  But the 360 and PS3 (while coded for on PCs) had proprietary OS's.  So porting to a PC was a true port.  And the fact is as soon as consoles are released they are inferior to PC hardware (My PC is already significantly more powerful than a PS4 or XbOne).  So games are coded to old tech for years.

Now we may finally see advances in PC gaming at a structural level for the first couple of years and then it will slow down.  As have the past 5 years of the latest gen have.   But since they are using the same architecture as a PC adding additional features should be more cost effective.

SK8Mojo

I wish they would add / unlock stuff for PC and if not in game settings then the config , I know how to play in a config and would help anyone who dose not. All I want unlocked is fov and FPS and real game servers not this we will connect you to a server crap and no pings just green bars lol so xbox and so not PC gaming.

I wanted this game so bad it's not even funny but first and foremost I am a PC gamer and I just cant see myself buying a game for PC if it is so console like. And as always fix the screen resolution issue its gone on long enough, as well as add large maps and 64 player servers. That's my full list Ghosts could have blown BF4 out of the water for PC had they taken the time to do the PC version correct but sadly from the homework I did its a fail. Due to the lock downs on fov and fps and servers and I am banking map size and server size as well.