11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 11:51 AM by Momba1 RSS

6GB RAM, WHY?!

chuba2

Why does this game require 6GB of RAM minimum requirements for PC, looking at the Battlefield 4 specs the frostbite engine only needs 4GB recommended specs, so what is so special about the updated quake engine they are throwing at us again?

WHY IW, WHY?!

• Re: 6GB RAM, WHY?!
    TWJackDanielsTW

Likely due to the new engine needing time to get optimized? Other than that can't be sure.

T-boss

devs completely skipping optimization is the most likly reason. aka the game would be 2gigs on most PC's and consuls, 1 gig on high compression methods. the most graphicly and gameplay intensive games rarly go over 4 gigs on PC, and a game that cant stand even close to eather of those on PC wouldnt be as big as they say.

we may get more legit versions of these specs in 3-4 years when there are devs pushing to get every last ounce of power instead of using the power as a excuse to be lazy at making games and work on assets only.

Jonathanamz

The PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts needs 6GB of RAM as a minimum requirement because the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has way more advanced Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) than any other precious PC versions of Call of Duty's that have ever been released on PC. If you watched YouTube videos of Call of Duty: Ghosts you would see that Infinity Ward and Mark Rubin say that Call of Duty: Ghosts uses new technology like the Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) for the Fish A.I., subd, and tessellation as well as sun shafts.

The PC version of Battlefield 4 does not use tessellation at least not yet it doesn't from what I have seen when I played the PC version of the Battlefield 4 closed beta and the open beta.

Battlefield 4 also does not use Nvidia's PhysX physics engine which has more things rendering in real time dynamically than any other physics engine in existence. Nvidia's PhysX physics engine is exclusive to Nvidia graphic cards on PC only. The new consoles coming out in November of this year will get Nvidia's PhysX physics engine running but only on the CPU not on the GPU like on PC. Battlefield 4 uses Havok's physics engine which is not so good as Nvidia's PhysX physics engine. The PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts will have dynamically rendered fog, mist, smoke, steam that interacts with the environment and the Player Character (PC) fog, mist, smoke, and steam is not a 2D rendered texture anymore like on all the other previous PC versions of Call of Duty's released on PC. The PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts PhysX physics engine from Nvidia is GPU PhysX which means it's GPU accelerated. Nvidia is also adding 4K support for textures for the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts. Also the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts runs on a 64 bit executable 32 bit executable does not exist anymore at all for the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts like how all of the other previously released PC version of Call of Duty's have.

So that is why the PC version of Battlefield 4 requires less powerful hardware than the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts because it uses more advanced Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) like the Fish A.I. and the Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) for Riley the dog as well as Nvidia's PhysX physics engine which runs all of the physics off of the graphic card.

Mark Rubin also said that Call of Duty: Ghosts is developed on PC first then ported to the consoles that are out now and to the new consoles coming out in November of this year as well. So it makes sense for the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts to push the PC hardware further than ever before.

Nvidia also said that the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts will be getting more PC exclusive graphical effects, features post launch after the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is released. So expect the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts Artificial Intelligence (A.I.), graphics and physics to be pushed even more harder than when the day the PC version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is released.

Momba1

In general and for quite some time 4GB v/s 8GB of RAM, 4GB restricts the 'reserved memory' Windows uses for your GPU(s) and lowers the potential of the FPS in some games not all; 6GB and 8GB in particular is the 'sweet-spot' for 64-bit OS and 64-bit gaming. Some games (32-bit) it makes no to little difference, but as soon as a you factor in a 64-bit game the differences can be profound.

Since Ghosts is ported from the Consoles and both the PS4 and Xbox One are 64-bit, my assumption is IW noticed a significant drop in performance on the PC in 4GB. Trust me, I'm happy the PC version isn't based off the Xbox 360/PS3.

Quipwicked

If u can run BO2 or mw3 you will be able to run ghosts, so long as you have 4gb of ram and 512 mb card, end of story.

Adamsmith31

Thank god we are leaving the 2GB ram stage for PC gaming and going onward to 6+GB x64 goodness finally can actually use half the parts i built for the my home computer

rissoxx

People must have more then 6 GB memory these days. I have 16 GB ram memory, so just buy more memory? Its not that expensive.

Momba1

Huh? RAM is twice as expensive as it was before the Hynix factory fire and the same stuff happened in the Taiwan floods to HDD's pricing before. However, I have 32GB on my LGA 2011.

Bad timing for some.