19 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 8:23 AM by Izjar11 RSS

End of an Era: Black Ops II

Izjar11

COD,

This is it, the end of normal time for BO2.

Many loved sentencing this game to hell, blaming there own problems with how the game is. I personally enjoyed this game much more than I did MW3 though both suffered from connectivity issues, something that Ghost should help solve.

While I ponder how good the game was and engage in introspection over it, let us remember that the game serves as a platform for future games (as all others do as well).

This game had in its favor:

1. Creative classes (pick ten system) which granted us freedom to play with what deemed best
  2. Slow and fast paced gaming styles (more obvious in this game)
  3. Solid assault rifle classes
  4. Good balance in countering equipment, perks, and attachments.
  5. Introduction of behavior based banning, (probation and in game reporting)

It had flaws as everything in life does:

1. Connection issues when partying with friends
  2. Quitters were more prevalent than ever.
  3. Quickscoping
  4. Though I enjoyed the re-skinned maps, they added far to many for my liking.

Although these words are exclusively mine and my experience went from good days to bad days I am satisfied with what this game produced.

I am not a game developer but I recognize that the responsibility they have is to cause us to change what we think of each COD game (even though they are all FPS) each is different than the next. Many confuse how they played one title should equate to how the next title should play as well, and that is a big error.

So a final CHEERS to BO2 and a thanks to its producers.

See you all in Ghost.

• Re: End of an Era: Black Ops II
    phxs72

It was a great ride with all of the ups and downs that you'd expect.  Even after a solid year of playing, I'm still having fun and still have challenges that I haven't completed.  That's one of the things that I like about all of the last several CoD titles.  They always seem to have more challenges to them than you'll ever finish or at least they do for me.  So you never truly run out of things to do.

Izjar11

phxs72 wrote:

It was a great ride with all of the ups and downs that you'd expect.  Even after a solid year of playing, I'm still having fun and still have challenges that I haven't completed.  That's one of the things that I like about all of the last several CoD titles.  They always seem to have more challenges to them than you'll ever finish or at least they do for me.  So you never truly run out of things to do.

Yea, im still playing it as well. And im still fighting for the win, so that tells me others are feeling the same. Played one game this AM, other team were slow, methodical players and it seriously forced me to go after them because the one thing is if you do nothing (running solo) your team is almost guaranteed to lose by getting killed multiple times.

I've been trying to complete the Prestige gamer tags, specifically the one which requires killing 150 players while getting them tagged with your sensor grenade, not easy!

phxs72

You're not kidding that one isn't easy.  You would think that it would be but time and time again I found that I'd throw one and it wouldn't tag a soul.  I've read that you need to throw them high to get better results but I still didn't have much luck with them.  It is a pretty cool looking title though.

ljone

Good post, every game has its ups and downs, i cant work some people out, why play a game they dislike and come on the forum to constantly slag it off, just do yourself a favor stop playing and trade it in that's all i did with MW3. Don't get me wrong i have have plenty of things go wrong, hard freezes, that funny helicopter noise, my stats got set back a few times then corrupted ect. But all in all i did enjoy playing the game like you said there was some good ideas that went into the game. I do not play it as much now but that's partly because my PS3 committed suicide and i could not be arsed to get the stuff back what i had achieved + dlc on one of my kids ps3. But in saying that it made me try playing zombies which i have quite got into and i still have a go on multiplayer and still enjoy it. I only play on a sat & sun morning but i do look forward to it even though sh*t still happens. Once again good post and yea cheers to black ops 2 and its producers.

Izjar11

I never understood the upset gamers as well, if the game is "unplayable" then why bother even playing it? The game was not perfect, nor should it be perfect because that is impossible. Cheers, good luck gaming.

ghamorra

The only thing that got me through this title was the community aspect. I think that's really the only thing that kept most people playing. Black Ops II was too radical in the sense that it defined itself as a very one dimensional game and after seeing all the changes that IW is making with their new title I'd say that a lot was learned. Millions play CoD and to think that you can design a game to fit only one style of player is not the smartest of ideas.

I took more time away from this title than any other. Even my freshman year of college (the days of MW2) I probably played more consistently then despite not having a gaming console in my dorm than I did with Black Ops II where I had everyday access to the console.

Izjar11

Yea, we all have those moments with a game that we either do not want to play and or force ourselves to play. I have slowed down playing the game, but overall I enjoyed this game more than the previous. I hope that happens again in Ghost.

weapon_11

i can say this game was pretty bad, i for one had terrible connection issues, and i didnt agree with a few nerfs, i didnt like the matchmaking and the community is getting worse..

i did love the player movement, and the pace of the game was faster than any other cod ive played. that made it some what enjoyable.

for the people who say why play it if you hated it... its because the people who say that think in a radical way that as soon as the game comes on, poop is flying through the players monitor.. this is not the case, there are enjoyable moments to the game.. its after you play and everything you went through, was it fun, or irritating? this can vary.. but on average was it a good or bad game for you..and that's what you base the game on

Izjar11

weapon_11 wrote:

but on average was it a good or bad game for you..and that's what you base the game on

Yes, this is true. This game and all video games are based on experience, did you simply have fun playing it. If you can't say yes then the game is not for you, if you say yes then good. We all can't enjoy every video game at the same level. Thanks for posting.

chelseasuicide12

u also have to take in account to... some players are just plain better then u. u might have not found ur niche yet to how u play. the correct guns with perks or even the right type of game mode. if ur playing domination running around with a pistol cahnces are u wont do good unless u use the right tactics. its the same with every gun. u cant just take a sniper run to the middle of standoff and attempt to kill everyone. u gotta learn where people hide. and how to use ur attachments perks and equipment correctly

rlbl

I liked the game much more than MW3 from a connectivity point of view.  BO2 for me was bad (esp. during 2XP like this who week), MW3 was terrible.

I liked Zombies and the intelligence in the bots were nice (being able to play all game modes when connections were crap is fun).

This is why I am looking forward to Ghosts:

- The promise of better connections (I do not expect it was always be good, but I hope it should be better at least)

- Squad mode (intelligent bots)

Although BO1 is still my fav. COD to date, I enjoy playing IW games better (safe from the BS that makes it back every year… *cough* death streaks and nukes *cough*). This year, no death streaks (yay)… I hope they do not put in super bombs.

If they would take the best aspects of MW3 and BO2, leave out the BS, put a few more larger maps in rotation of applicable game modes, and make the connections better… it would be an awesome game. Ghosts, is that you?

Izjar11

The change in connection with Ghosts should prove to give us more reliability, but I do suspect that will solve the tireless complain issues players have with these games.

Have you seen videos of actual game play and how quickly people die in Ghost?

sennalike

Good post Ego.

Like all CoD, BO2 has had its pro's and con's, all very personal.

The negatives -

Pace has been to fast for my liking. Maybe a sign of my age catching up with me.

Way too many boosters, and not a good response from Treyarch in dealing with them. I'd include the abuse of the prestige hack right back at the start. The lack of action on that was just an invitation, sending out the message that players can do what they like with little chance of action being taken. Disappointing that we didn't have a 'cutpurse' on the forum like with previous Treyarch CoD games.

Matchmaking. Said enough on this in the past, not going to hark on again, especially given that ghosts is supposed to have different matchmaking.

The point streak system was hailed to be flexible and the points would change to mix up streak use. The uav got changed in the opening weeks, then nothing. I think Treyarch missed an opportunity to make the game more interesting by mixing up the points more.

The positives -

Having spent a good six months on dedicated servers I think this bodes well for ghosts. It doesn't solve all connectivity problems, but it's a big improvement.

I liked the pick 10 idea, it worked well for me.

I thought weapon balance was good.

I liked the fact there was pretty much a counter to everything. Mixed together with pick 10 it meant there really was little justification for complaint about anything on the weapons and perks front.

.Overall I have enjoyed BO2. I'm still playing it and will be until I am convinced ghosts is worthy of investment.

Jackal235

In terms of networking it was a continuation of MW3 - bad matchmaking, problematic net code. Surprisingly  older titles dealt with those issues much better. Graphic, weapons, achievements, awarding - not bad, with exception of target finder (another mistake).

Izjar11

Jackal235 wrote:

In terms of networking it was a continuation of MW3 - bad matchmaking, problematic net code. Surprisingly  older titles dealt with those issues much better. Graphic, weapons, achievements, awarding - not bad, with exception of target finder (another mistake).

It is surprising that after a few previous games they realized that dedicated servers will serve the game best.

chard1027

I'm actually kind of sad that I didn't start playing this game sooner. In the six months that I have been playing, I think I learned a lot. #1 would be to USE THE MUTE ALL feature! haha! And second - if you get ambushed, DON'T re-spawn and go down that same path! That one I learned a little slow, but finally got there!

When I started playing, I was on a slow internet connection and read all the posts about lag, etc. I felt like my game play was improving, but I felt as though my connection was hindering what I could do, so I upgraded the connection. I have seen improvements in regards to the connection, but I also think I'm learning the maps and spawns better and my stats show that. Not bragging - just saying I have gotten better.

My biggest complaint recently (and it seems to have corresponded with my internet upgrade) is that the BO2 servers disconnect me in the middle of games. It happened about 6 times in a row today. I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to why that happens - my end? BO2 servers end? Still searching for answers and tweeking my modem and console. Sometimes it works brilliantly and other times I want to smash my controller!

Over-all, ya, I think I'm just a little bummed that I didn't start playing this game when it first came out. There's a lot of complaining that the maps on BO2 are mostly too small. But the way I look at it, it's just a 6v6 match. My son has been playing BF4 the last few days and I jsut get lost with that one. I'm a K.I.S.S. kind of guy - the simpler, the better for me!

Looking forward to Ghosts (especially if the connection problems get worked out), because that one I will be playing from day one!

squirt magoo

End of an error.

WolfRidge

It just didn't feel like a Call of Duty game to me, have to say I won't miss it, haven't played in months and think I played about 6-7 days in total, less than any other title. The leagues were good though, the story was great, but multiplayer not so great.

Fair play to the people that enjoyed it each to their own.