29 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2013 8:23 PM by nuttin2say RSS

Brainstorming Ways to Save the COD community from nihilist moral shipwreck

Kalkiavatara

The aggressive moral nihilism or antisocial amorality existent within the current COD "fan base", especially, for whatever reasons, Black Ops 2, is a fact both incontrovertible, disconcerting to any human being who cares about civilized values even slightly, and a matter worthy addressing seriously and thoughtfully.

What I ideally wish for the community in this thread is for good-willed individuals to "brainstorm" ways or methods or things capable of somehow ameliorating the present reversible swampy ambiance of authentically Sadean-Stirnerian ethical anarchy in which pedophilia child assault is a matter of jocularity and intercourse with animals is an expected common sight if one dares to view the..."unique"...emblems of the statistically average COD player (with especial focus on the troublesome disorderliness within B.O. 2...) --

All violations of the Code of Conduct I have happily noticed recently are being dealt with more vigor; but to state things directly, not intentionally rudely, the success (including commercial, make no mistake) of a game is doomed in an environmental moral vacuum of nothingness in which the most criminally atrocious acts are subjects of unthinking glibness...

I hope the moderators understand my intent. I strongly desire all good-willed, soul-sincere individuals to share whatever thoughts you have relating to how we can all make COD a truly cleaner game and cleaner experience. The "mature" rating is no rationalization of a radical individualism so limitless, sadistic and psychopathic/dyssocial aggressors against all human decency become somehow licensed to shred every last of our moral faculty as human beings as distinct from brute beasts.

I have my own thoughts, and later will unfold my own suggestions or opinions.

Thank you.

• Re: Brainstorming Ways to Save the COD community from nihilist moral shipreck
    PinkBootsOn

Do you think the "statistically average COD player", which you obviously hold in such contempt, is going to have the faintest interest in contributing to your poetic little diatribe??

• Re: Brainstorming Ways to Save the COD community from nihilist moral shipreck
      Kalkiavatara

I shall not be responding to baiting such as the above as the moderators should not lock this potentially valuable thread. Please cease.

• Re: Brainstorming Ways to Save the COD community from nihilist moral shipwreck
        starbuckfrack

You posted in a public forum. So the public is allowed to respond.

I think the only response you will get is if you find it offensive report it in game.

I am just assuming here but the moderators can lock a thread if they consider a new thread spam. They MIGHT consider this one the same thing since there are so many topics on it already.

Besides some people might find it offensive that you happen to mention pedophilia and sex with animals in your post. The gist of your post is good but I think you could have just referenced it using the words "offensive emblems". I definitely would never mention a topic such a sex with children even as an example.

BTW the average COD player is not an immoral person. Just like the average person is not immoral. Every group has bad apples in it. And a lot of good apples too. You shouldnt hate us all which seems to be the majority of your posts.

• Re: Brainstorming Ways to Save the COD community from nihilist moral shipwreck
          Kalkiavatara

I shall reply later star. I appreciate you actually engaging the topic instead of merely slurring me as the others have attempted. Thanks.

starbuckfrack

I am glad you took it well because some words were hard to understand at my age

I read some of your posts and they are quite poetic in so many words or less. Only thing I assume about them are that you are hated by both sides of the coin.

One weird thing is your responses dont seem as colorful as your original posts. Makes me wonder if your "longer" posts are spent with more time with you digging thru a thesaurus before you actually post it.

But seriously the amount of people that decide to have lewd emblems are sometimes as great as one in every game, but you have to remember that most of these are children and the rest of them are childish adults. Pretty much all of them are ignorant. But as I said you get bad bunches in any group. At least these groups are policed on Xbox Live.

Not sure if you are trying to get us all in the COD community to hold hands and sign Koombya because it wont work. Everyone in the world has his own opinion, as well as his own tastes and no one can change that. So if you are hoping your points are going to turn people over to the light side with colorful words, I seriously doubt it will work.

As for the policing of the game that is handled by a totally different group of employees that do not have contact with the moderators of this forum. One side does not and will never talk to the other side. So if you are offering suggestions to the Policy Enforcement Team, its is highly likely they will ever read it. One voice also will not ever be able to change corporate policy of banning players any further. Activision policy use to be tough on players when the forum moderators (and those that volunteered to hunt down boosters) were in charge of doint reports . But that time passed over two years ago ,

Dont take this the wrong way but I think you should say your suggestions and opinions now because I feel (and this could be a major assumption on my part) that this thread will be locked once the moderators show up for work their next shift.

In smaller words what are your opinions and suggestions ?

As for people manipulating this topic they usually remove just the posts themselves and not the whole thread. But there are cases where they can tall if its the same old story thats comes up. But you are posting in an Activision forum where you dont make the rules. Again no offense.

Megadog14

TL;DR

Lots of people have inappropriate emblems, they need to be banned.

Yppecaye_the_Dogged

I with a few others talked a bit about sportsmanship in pages 7-8 in another thread...

http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200785230?start=60&tstart=0#.UnbL9BB_LXU

The concept of sportsmanship, including how to win with humility, how to lose with grace, how competition and perseverance are virtues, and how honestly earning accolades and good stats reflect honor and integrity, is ignored in online gaming.   

Internet anonymity and the fact that the games are "virtually" real are used somehow as excuses for dispicable behavior.  I say to this, like I did there in the other thread:  forget accountability to others, how about just to your own conscience. 

I guess the key word is conscience.  Whether actual or virtual reality, how you behave will define who you are as a person.  That is, a moral one or not. 

WKMMS

A very interesting post, exquisitely composed and, as Starbuck noted, poetically executed.  That being said, I think that your concerns are somewhat misdirected, as the root cause lies outside of the realms of the Call of Duty universe and is an issue for wider society as a whole.  Desensitisation due to information overload, the rising popularity of "shock" humour, the well-documented deleterious effects on human behaviour as a by-product of internet anonymity and individual social circumstances are all at play here.  The magnitude and scope of the problem is enormous and complex and its solutions are far beyond what could reasonably be achievable through dialogue on a forum of this nature. 

I think it's important to point out that the behaviour and actions of those referenced in your post represents the activity of a minority of the community.  The majority, at least in my experience, tend to keep to themselves and abide by the code of conduct.  There are negative elements within many, and perhaps all sub-sections of the gaming community and it is in no way limited to those who play Call of Duty.

The Developers and enforcement team for there part seem to do a pretty decent job in dealing with infractions when they are flagged to them, but we are dealing with cases of poor taste and offensive imagery rather than outright instances of criminality so the punitive actions need to be measured and proportionate, which I think they are.  All we can do really for our part is report emblems that, in our own estimation are crossing a line of taste and decency 

starbuckfrack

I only read two lines and I could tell this post is a good answer

At least this thread seems more educated then the "Why did my flag get me banned" post

But over the past year I can say I have seen some animal sex emblems but not as many. As for child based emblems I have seen none. There are still quite a few racist based emblems but what do you expect from a civilization which is now more full of generic hatred toward each other than there was in the "pervert" group. Since you got the case of anonymity now the "fun" of showing hatred has spread faster than the actual hatred itself.

With Microsoft keeping things such as privacy on the internet more sacred than before it has backfired into this monstrous behemoth that we have to deal with.

darkstaar13

So basically you dislike some things the COD community does.  If you have managed to navigate here and post you should be somewhat familiar with the internet and very aware that this is not a COD issue.  The company in charge does take action against offensive emblems.  I believe your post is intentionally silly and ignorant.

Lets brainstorm. My interpretation of your language is a condemnation of players based on a moralistic view.  While I will say that inappropriate emblems should be removed one must understand that it takes time.  The bigger issue is the condemnation and your interpretation of how players feel.  One can joke about things while being opposed to them and to say people are nihilistic because of jokes is irresponsible.  I do not know what country you are from but the global tendency is to create laws both to punish people for actions deemed unfit and in some cases to protect freedom of speech.

Also the ideals you are pushing are absurd.  How would one be non glib.  Respond to the inundation of questionable actions with extreme moral indignation and actions.  We would never be able to play a game we would be too busy crying out for a cessation of immorality to ever actually enjoy anything.  Also it is not for you to decide how one must react to  the most criminally atrocious acts.  Are we to fully empathize break down and dedicate our lives to the prevention of not only those acts but the mere mention of them?

You make reference to a moral vacuum.  I would say that a moral vacuum is not inherently immoral.  While it may seem trivial in a fps (by the way you are playing a shooting simulator in which your reasons for killing humans and animals is murky) there are positives that can come from it.  The company will punish those who violate the letter of the law but you can not force morals on people and you need to be less offended or abandon your adventure into the internet.

Edit:  I forgot the rating system is there to protect you from seeing things you believe are immoral.  If your moral faculty disagrees then you need not be here.  Also "radical individualism so limitless, sadistic and psychopathic/dyssocial aggressors against all human decency" is the most naive thing I have ever read.  You don't go from flowery happy humans to the unfiltered evil that exists in human minds through COD.  You are absurd sir and you would have to do a lot of research before you could even pretend to have an understanding of what you are talking about.

nicedrewishfela

You can't change the community, you can only control your own behavior.

The community is a diverse mix of people, cultures, attitudes, and behaviors. The worst will always be more visible (The old squeaky wheel), but there are good people out there.. a lot of them.

Kalkiavatara

I appreciate everyone responding who was sincere. The most odd and random reasons were given as pretexts to personally attack me in the private message box. Those out there who remotely know me, know I meant well here... Semantic and other issues are irrelevant here..

Based on the response received both privately and publicly, I myself am disengaging from this topic. FoxHound can decide what to do now, I'm lost. Bizarre. I only wanted to create positive moral uplift around here, for people to reflect a little... I meant no ill. I apologize to all offended.

FoxHound, or whoever is deputized, decide what you think is best for the company I guess... I in my own eyes was hoping against hope once again and trying to do an experiment in cultural-moral dialogue, and the responses I have received are even wilder than previous ones... Whatever is best for all.

starbuckfrack

Saw your message and deleted the posts.. Good thing some people like the few of us can discuss like adults