25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2013 7:07 AM by lgn19htm4r3 RSS

Map Size and Complexity WTF?

Stansellcp

Question: WHY ARE THE MAPS SO BIG AND CLUTTERED?!  THIS ISN'T BATTLEFIELD!!

You think the developers would learn from the past few games.  For example:  BO2's Overwatch - NO ONE LIKED THIS MAP.  Why?  It was too freaking big.  Many of the maps in the past few games have had every nook and cranny a squirrel could possibly dream of and of course several 3-4 doors to one room. 

I honestly don't know what you guys were thinking.  Its like you designed some of the maps for Battlefield sized team deathmatch games.  I'm having a hard time enjoying myself when I have to run from one side of the map to the other only to find some guy sitting in a corner waiting for someone to walk through the door.

Just because your levels are bigger, and have more crap thrown all around it doesn't make it better.

Just my opinion.  I really wish you guys would of learned from the past.  Guess I'll play some BF4 for the time being until that gets old.   

• Re: Map Size and Complexity WTF?
    eXxcursioN

Competition is fierce nowadays.

Battlefield is gaining ground and all this game is CoD catching up/closing in on what Battlefield can do whilst trying to keep what has made their games at the top of the players choice.

Stansellcp

This is Call Of Duty.  That is Battlefield.  There are two different games for a reason.  I want my COD to stay COD, medium sized, arcade chaos.  If I want large scale chaos or more realistic game-play, I'll go play BF.  COD is an arcade game at heart.  There is no catching up to do besides making a better COD than the previous ones. 

hudder92

Apparently not. 6v6 on large maps is not trying to be like Battlefield. That is the problem with these maps. It's not that they are large, it's that they are large with 6v6. Every match I've played has gone time limit with only about half the points required to win.

Stansellcp

I was referring to eXxursioN's comment in terms of catching up to Battlefield; don't know if you read that or not.  Anyhow, I already addressed this issue: Even with the proper amount of players in the maps, they are still TOO CLUTTERED, unless you like campfires around every corner.

devidog_kyle

Hey bud, the size of the maps are designed for the next gen. They will be capable of larger parties per game. I do enjoy the maps very much.

Stansellcp

Next Gen or not, they are still cluttered beyond belief.  Castle or whatever its called isn't bad because its more open, but then we have the other maps that are just HUGE with like 15 buildings and shacks strewn across and so many different ways to get to one place, which can be good or bad.  Bad if there are TOO many ways.  It turns into a game of WHO CHOSE THE BETTER PATH or WHO RAN UP BEHIND WHO UNINTENTIONALLY?  Keyword there is unintentionally.

pparks1

Yeah, thank god for the large maps.  I get so very tired of the teeny tiny CoD maps.   I am really liking the size of these new maps.

Stansellcp

I'm not pushing for tiny maps, I'm pushing for medium to large maps that aren't CLUTTERED. Clutter, clutter, clutter.  The formula I came up (again all opinionated) is: 1 tiny map for smaller, crazy games and or private matches with friends (Rust, Shipment).  2-3 decently sized small maps (Scrapyard, Highjacked).  4-5 medium sized maps (Favela, which was clutter done right, Highrise, Raid).  4-5 UNCLUTTERED large maps (Afghan, Estate).  Afghan, Estate, Carrier, etc.  Fantastically designed maps in that they were big, but quite open. 

Hadria

these maps are the perfect size! If I want to run n gun it's easy to do if I want to sit and let em come to me fairly easy also. have great fun so far specially with the special lil things in the maps.

DsG-Exia00-II

This is soooooo on the money. I don't even want to play the game anymore. How is it that on a maps this size, I still manage to spawn with in ten feet of an enemy 90% of the time?! HOW?! This is by far the most disappointing COD release to date and will most likely be the last one I buy.

devidog_kyle

You are blaming the maps on the issues with the spawns? Yes the spawns need real work, but if anything the larger maps should reduce the issues. Key word should, but there you have it.

Stansellcp

Spawns, spawns, spawns.  Spawns always suck off the bat.  ALWAYS.  Even after a while they are still sketchy at best.  Its too be expected. 

DsG-Exia00-ll Wasn't directly complaining about the spawns, but as a magnifier to the fact that the maps are so big.  He dislikes the map size/clutter, and he was merely stating that EVEN THOUGH that maps are so big, he still manages to spawn in front of enemies.  Changing the map size isn't going to fix that. 

Stansellcp

I totally meant Aftermath, not Overwatch.  Sorry for the confusion. 

wmpratt

The maps are simply too big for the small numbers of players allowed at one time. When you spend 2/4 of your time walking/running to where any action is, it just gets tedious. We need small maps like Nuketown or very large number of players to have any real fun.

eXxcursioN

From my comment you went straight for amount of players in a game. I didnt mention anything about that.

I said CoD is now trying to close in on what Battlefield has whilst still maintaining what made CoD the big franchise it is now.

That equates to big maps yes, but as someone has mentioned on another topic - they have next gen, 9v9 in mind.

not only that, the dynamic scenarios where environments can change, buildings can crash etc

also the slower leveling/ranking up.

All crammed into the usual CoD game with fast paced action running and gunning - (doesnt happen on everymap this time around)

iAmEFFeX

I'm happy that Infinity Ward finally looked out for the people who like big maps. These Nuketown / Dome / Hijacked maps were so boring I couldn't stand it. After Black Ops 2, I was so sick of the cramped maps, I thought I was done with COD. Thankfully this was addressed in Ghosts.

It's all opinion and I think that IW really listened despite a lot of people being unhappy. I'm sure everyone remembers an equal amount of complaints about the maps being too small.

jadjr74

Would have to agree 100% while I'm not a fan of small maps but after a few hours of play last night I spent most of my time running around looking for a fight. For some reason I wasn't even getting into full 6v6 it was mainly 3v3 or 4v4 . On one match after we went up by 10 kills on tdm the other team just started hiding so the match went for 6 minutes without a single death. I'm hoping this gets worked out soon.

Izjar11

I honestly don't know what you guys were thinking.

They were thinking, hey people are tired of the small, linear maps lets do something BETTER.

These maps force you to think, if you are the mindless rusher I can see why the map is not your cup of tea. Other than that, these maps are great.

phxs72

I'm really enjoying these larger maps.  Perhaps what you need to do is play an objective gamemode like DOM.  That's all I played last night and I had no trouble finding enemies to engage all night.  I can see where you might have an issue in TDM if people are posting up but then you just need to pull out your Markmans and Sniper rifles or perhaps an AR with an ACOG until you get used to knowing where to look.

SeraphOne

I like the size of the maps and am happy to see the back of Nuketown and Hijacked (these were constantly voted for because they were a quick and easy way to rank up and do challenges, not because they were nice maps to play)

The complexity is a bit of an issue though and the guys who've been playing non stop and are more familiar with the maps have a big advantage.

Time will tell