48 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 6:08 AM by DeathBringer-Zen RSS

Seriously!? This is it??

DeathBringer-Zen

So, it seems that once the nuke is placed and the you exit the 'Point of Contact' map in the chopper, the achievement is unlocked and... THAT'S IT!?

If this is IW's attempt at zombies, then they have failed big time. There is no incentive to go back and play this map EVER again after it is beaten. It has no lasting appeal.

Shame, as the game mode itself is really good, and when played on co-op, can be every bit as fun as zombies is, but the map is not that huge, and to be honest is extremely easy to finish.

The game is less that 24 hours old and already people are starting to say how disappointed in Extinction they are. Guess this portion of the forum is going to remain quiet for the foreseeable future.

• Re: Seriously!? This is it??
    Tommy92gunner

I'm not sure if you even bothered to noticed to difference between this mode and zombies, one being an actual mode and the other is plain survival with Easter eggs... Zombies had NO lasting appeal either because all you did was survival, which became BORING, MW3 had the same deal, survival................. I also fail to see how/why everyone keeps comparing this to zombies when the experience is NOTHING like it, is it because IW added a mode of human vs non-human creatures? Because otherwise people seriously need to stop..

KittensAreCool

ever since the first zombie mode came out it's been the only thing people compare anything to across any games. No idea why people like it so much. Its boring and repetitive- however when there are nifty little things to find it should give people like me a bigger incentive to actually play it

DeathBringer-Zen

Well, the fact that it is CLEARLY Infinity Wards attempt at cashing in on the zombie side of Treyarch's community is mainly why most people are comparing it to zombies. Are you trying to say it isn't?

Either way, the game mode as is has no lasting appeal or longevity to it. It is fun to play, but once finished, there is next to no reason to return to it.

Einstein0883

I have beaten it and am about to prestige and look forward to playing it again for, well, the fun of it.  I enjoy this mode alot more that I ever enjoyed zombies.  Also, there is lasting appeal after completing it.  Trophies/achievements for one and also going through it with some relics equipped, which by the way severely increases the difficulty which would fix your issue with it being so "easy".  Alas this is just my opinion and you have yours but whats life without a healthy debate. 

Dr_Floperdopolus

Tommy92gunner wrote:

Zombies had NO lasting appeal either because all you did was survival,

You do understand that what you just said contradicts each other? People played it because it was a wave defence making the re-playability extremely high

d0wnr4ange

I partly agree, the one I disagree is the extremely easy part, and the longevity or replay value is questionable. Sure, it is fun and intense at times but after you finished the objectives, then it is over? The game should continue as in survive waves after waves, not sure how to implement this though as zombies use rounds.

They should make the scenario like the exfil chooper crashed and you are back on the ground and survive as long as possible, waves after waves, and the leaderboard says the highest number of wave survived. This way people will compete to own who survives the highest wave and players keep coming back to better their records.

SilversteinCOD

I personally love this way  more than zombies.. zombies got old after a while, this with the classes and everything keep me engaged... was having a blast with my buddy... but i would also like to know, does the waves keep going or is there an endign?

whots_his_face

Well enjoying it so far.  And my ineptitude at the mode should sustain play for a while longer.  When I navigate the menu, I can't help but feel/hope that there's other modes to follow.  It's their first map,  If it captures peoples hearts and imaginations then presumably it will get developed.

DeathBringer-Zen

I have no reason not to expect an Extinction map with each of the 4 DLC drops, but my argument for longevity comes from the fact that once you beat the game mode, which I did with 3 randoms easily enough, there is not really any reason to want to go back and do it again, so with something like 2 and a half month till the first DLC drops, are people still going to be playing this map up until then? Will people still be playing it in one months time!?

As for being easy... it is VERY easy when you know what you are doing. We took down the 3 Helicopter hives within a few minutes easy enough. God, Only one of us went down (twice) the whole game, and we beat the map in under an hour.

I am sure it will improve, but my argument is that they could hve at least given us a few more options within the game rather than just escaping in the chopper and that being it done.

FlyingPlatapus

Wow, quiet is right. I've not seen a game forum so useless as this one so far. I was holding out on buying ghosts, cause I have never enjoyed the IW versions of COD. Well from what I have been reading, it doesn't look like I will enjoy this one either. Yay.

DeathBringer-Zen

Ghosts is getting slated from every corner of the community mate. I have already seen several big Youtubers who intend on making money from the game say it is garbage all round, and the extinction mode has been receiving just as much negativity.

Personally, I like the game mode but hate the fact that there is nothing more to it that just an hours worth of a mission that is actually ridiculously easy when you know what you are doing.

If you want my honest opinion... do not go near it mate. I is just MW2 & MW3 with a few repastes.

Talking of repastes... check out this classic! http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/06/call-of-duty-ghosts-branded-lazy-for-reusing-moder n-warfare-2-cutscene-4175989/

OH DEAR!

FlyingPlatapus

Thats what I thought. I, as of now, have no intent on buying this game. Too bad.

DeathBringer-Zen

Speechless I see. Understandable reaction.

In fairness, the campaign is fun to play, and extinction is OK for a brief few days but MP is a joke. The graphics on MP are an eyesore and the game is just so slow and rough. Sure, people have been saying "Give it time and they will patch it up nicely"

Umm... why the f*ck should we have to wait any amount of time!?! The game is a billion dollar franchise... it should be working PROPERLY on day one.

Time for CoD to take a much needed break me thinks.

hoboMurder101

I was pretty excited about this game solely for Extinction, but now I'm not so sure (...again).  I looked at the link you posted where they copy and pasted the cutscene...  it blows my mind why they would do this...or KEEP doing this.

When I read:

"Sure, people have been saying "Give it time and they will patch it up nicely"

Umm... why the f*ck should we have to wait any amount of time!?! The game is a billion dollar franchise... it should be working PROPERLY on day one."

I couldn't agree more on this...  How does a company make SO much money, yet, have SO many issues??  Why can't their product ever just flat out work the first time?  This goes for Treyarch's BO2 as well..  When BO2 came out I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE had issues with a game like I did that one...  it was damn near unplayable the first month or 2... and people were/are paying $60 a pop for it!  ...or $120 if you get the season pass... and it's still not including if you bought a special edition of the game or whatever... but I'll NEVER even consider that after BO2.

Kinda reminds me of Tranzit and when people said that it probably would have worked better on new generation consoles.  Why?  Halo and Battlefield are HUGE compared to what Tranzit had to offer, but they work fine?  Why would they make something that wouldn't run smoothly on the consoles they're designing them for? 

I remember a day and age when you could go buy a SNES/N64/etc. game.. pop it in.. and it would work. EVERY. TIME.  There were no "patches" and "hotfixes".  The games just worked... AND all of the content was ALREADY IN THE GAMES. 

This crap just makes me sad.

DeathBringer-Zen

Yeah, I remember the MAJOR issues that BO2 suffered from for at least one month after release. Tranzit was a joke to play and MP was a laughing stock. One year later and it is STILL a bug laden joke of a game across ALL the game modes.

This is why I will NEVER buy a special edition CoD title ever again.

hoboMurder101

yeah I'll never worry about getting a special edition copy of any of their games after this past game...  actually I highly doubt I'll ever preorder one of their games again considering it just lets them get away with bad business.  it's like... oh yeah! sure I'll go ahead and give you the money straight up without knowing what I'm about to get... never again.

Ells145

ok so i got ghosts for extinction mainly online, has been let down . i do think the name point to point contact in its own selection menu means there is more modes to come. for me it is kind of like the nach der untoten of zombies, it is the first  extinction map and mode and im sure there will be more with DLC and i do hope there is.

i just hope they make a survival out of it.

DeathBringer-Zen

i do think the name point to point contact in its own selection menu means there is more modes to come. for me it is kind of like the nach der untoten of zombies, it is the first  extinction map and mode and im sure there will be more with DLC and i do hope there is.

I think the 'Chapter 1' in the menu is even MORE of an indication that there wll be more to come.

As for the comparisons to Nacht. People still play Nacht Der Untoten to this day... will people still be playing Extinction (PoC) in 5 years time? Will people still be playing it next month!? I doubt it.

If they had added a survival/round/wave mode into it, then yeah... it would have been more successful.

As is... it's just not good enough yet.

LORD_GRRR

I see where all you guys are coming from.  I just escaped into the chopper last night and it was definitely fun.  Prestiging to unlock relics will put a new spin on the game by making it harder, so if it wasn't for that I would probably have pulled out ghosts and put BO2 back in. 

For now, it has me hooked enough to where I want to try it with the relic challenges and I would also like to complete the game on solo.  Once those objectives are achieved, though, I can't see, at this time, any reasons to continue playing it.    

DeathBringer-Zen

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed playing it, none of the relic challenges appeal to me. They are not doing anything new. Just making it harder, and in some cases, near impossible. The level and goal is the same, and I know that despite having a 'Hard Mode' option on most games I buy, it does not always make me what to play through those again after completing them on normal.

Obviously they will expand upon it, but I reckon they will just give out one map per DLC and they will all be roughly the same. I would have preferred a wave option on the game so it was similar in mold to zombies, so we could either escape in the chopper and end the game, or stay and fight and hold out for as long as we can.

In my personal opinion, they have got something here, but it's just not quite right yet.

Icecreamking

I hope to see more extinction maps in future dlc (althought that's a bit of a given). Hopefully there are different "game-modes," not four maps with the hive-and-nuke structuring. I bet some creative things can be done.

So far, I've been enjoying extinction mode. There are still a few things I don't know about it yet, and I admit I haven't beaten it yet. Though I fear that it will become boring soon.

CobraShikari

I don't think you realise that it was NEVER an attempt of Zombies in the first place. Just IW new game co op game mode, which i'd rather much prefer than two player spec ops, if you ask me. I even enjoy Extinction a hell of a lot more than Zombies as it is really.

DeathBringer-Zen

I don't think you realise that it was NEVER an attempt of Zombies in the first place.                      

Are you stupid or something!? I am sick of seeing people post the same message...

"It's not supposed to be zombies"

Hmm... well, the fact that it IS Infinity Wards attempt at cashing in on the zombie side of Treyarch's community means it is obviously going to draw comparisons. It is a blatant attempt by IW and doing something that can draw the zombie fans in and see them part with their hard earned cash, not just them bringing out a "New" game mode that is unrelated. Your whole comment is beyond stupid man. How can you even TRY to suggest it is just coincidence!?! lol

Over 50% of DLC sales for BO1 and BO2 were by people buying them solely for zombies, and IW want in on it.

Jugg3naut510

Even IW said that they made as an attempt to try their own version of Zombies. It's alright for an attempt (better than Survival)

Extinction is much better in my opinion Zombies got boring quick but in Extinction you have to work together and no '' zombie train heroes''

DeathBringer-Zen

Extinction is much better in my opinion

I highly doubt you are a true fan of zombies if you are making such a wild claim. Extinction is a lot of fun to play, but it is NOWHERE near as fun as zombies. Not even remotely close.

To suggest that it is MUCH better... well... that's just crazy talk man.

Well im legit #1 on extinction because i like it alot more then zombies you have to work as a team there is no ''hero training zombies'' its a team effort which is how it should be. Heroes die and teams always have a much much better chance of surviving if they work together. But each to their own  if you like zombies you can always revert back to black ops 2 but i do agree we need a few new maps (:

USAFEsty

I would rather have a fun mode that ends rather then having an endless mode like zombies. It got old and long way to fast. Actually having an objective is a lot more fun.

Mess1ahBrowny

quick and easy no point in returning...zombies is much better am affraid

USAFEsty

Zombies got very boring actually. Playing this mode is fun. Don't get me wrong zombies was fun, it just got old fast. If they added a survival mode for Extinction I'm sure more people would enjoy it.

DeathBringer-Zen

Zombies took 5 years to get boring... Extinction took 5 days.

If the game mode stays the same as it currently is, then Extinction is not going to catch on. I expect major changes to it, but it is laughable to suggest it is better than zombies.

Zombies was for 10 year old kids... every lobby i was in i could hear kids talking hardly any mature people played. Extinction is so much better i love it, its definately a step up over that old rusty bus with slow zombies jogging around.

Some improvements could be made on Extinction such as.

1.Create a class.

2.A better prestige system

3.Hackers on leaderboards deleted.

4.More maps

I realise none of this besides the maps will happen but i always hope for the best im an optimist.

USAFEsty

Zombies would get stupid boring. I would play one game and be like well time to get offline or play multiplayer. This mode I want to keep playing, plus it actually has a ******* rank system to which is nice and upgrades.

FlyingPlatapus
    Well, I've seen this movie before. Debating with fans of IW made Cod. Zombies suck, it's to boring, only kids play zombies, MW3s survival mode was way better, and my fav. Zombies is to easy.  Debating this is silly. There's a reason IW can't get their hands on the money that treyarch takes in.  The proof is in the pudding. IW versions of the Cod franchise are uninspired, lazy, and only cow tail to the MP gamers, and that may even be a stretch. Sorry IW lovers this game sucks ass.
    YourToaster

This mode is a joke... I am a hardcore Zombie Lover, and this mode is just... wah....

I still playing World at War (Custom ZombieMaps) and even the normal Maps in WaW and BO1 are stoll very active... I also paly Bo2 Zombiemode daily... I love zombies, This mode? Pft, I am giving a month and it's more dead than a.. corpse.. rofl

Bear90ofs

It's not as good as world at war zombies or black ops 1 zombies. but it sure as hell is better than black ops 2 zombies. at least I can enjoy extinction. black ops 2 zombies was crap with the exception of mob of the dead. origins is good until you realize it butchered an already tail spinning storyline. (the story made sense until black ops 2) transit- lets ride a bus all day (got to round 33, that was fun but I had to ride the bus for extended periods of time.) die rise, lets fall down every F***ing edge and ride elevators to the top as our crawler bleeds out over and over again. MOTD- lets play an awesome map that would fit in with WaW and black ops (wonderful map, they actually made a map that was awesome for B.O 2 ) Buried - can't say I hated or loved this one. (it was the in-between map for me) origins- (da-fuq did I just play) (don't even bring up the ending cut scene.) lol felt like having a B.O. 2 rant. those who read this. I apologize but I just wasted part of your life and there are no refunds and I am sure there are many typo's that you cannot un see. (if you made it this far, I like extinction but classic zombies was better. but B.O.2 failed me.)

DeathBringer-Zen

I feel exactly the same way as you do about BO2. Loved MotD and that was about it. Origins was such a letdown. I don't mind playing it, but at the same time, I resent the map completely.

I also feel indifferent about Buried. I think the map is terrible, but for some reason don't mind playing it now and again. Die Rise is fun on solo, but garbage on co-op. Tranzit is just an empty, waste of a map. So much potential wasted with that one.

Still... despite this, I still would not go as far as saying Extinction is better than BO2 zombies. It's fun to play, but it's not the same. Maybe after all DLC is in place it can be viewed as better, but not as it is just now.

Not by a long shot!