17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2013 5:19 AM by YuriUA RSS

Any word on if the fov changer is ok to use?

xKing0o

people have been using it for over 2 days straight and no bans would be awesome to have assurance? the mw2 one and mw3 one never got anyone banned?

• Re: Any word on if the fov changer is ok to use?
    YuriUA

I believe its only fair to play "vanilla" game, without meddling with settings, using FPS unlocks, FOV changers ect. Its only fair play when everyone plays the same game, under same conditions. This is where its most competitive.
    So no, I do not believe using FOV changer is a good idea. I do not hope everyone will get a ban, but I do believe some changes will be made to the game to limit it from using a FOV changer. At least I hope so.

If you do not like the game, you can always... play something else?

rikameITG

So it's unfair for somebody with a GTX Titan to play against somebody with a GTS 450? That "absolutely even" mantra is ridiculous as it is impossible. Increasing FOV isn't cheating or supplying an advantage any more than owning a better monitor is.

de-vi-ate

YuriUA, not competitive because a change in FOV, you really must be a nub! I guess this dumb company should restrict my internet speed and oh ya stop me from overclocking my CPU because that is not fair either! Do us all a favor and go play with the rest of the console kiddies.

YuriUA

While I myself prefer FOV values starting at 90 (sometimes more), I do believe the game should be played in its "vanilla" flavor. Without modifications outside of options menu.

If they allow changing that value to 90 in options via slider, you know for sure I'll put it to 90 right away! But so far it has been limited to 65 and thats what I believe we are stuck with. For me using Fovley or any other tool to force modifications on a multiplayer game "because I want to play that way even if developer doesn't allow it" is not an option.

Drawcansir

Everybody can use the FOV changer wich makes the playing field even again. You do understand that don't you?

YuriUA

Thats not true. If you don't want to cheat and risk yourself getting:

a) bans on record in Steam

b) banned from Multiplayer in Call of Duty: Ghosts

you won't be using FOV changer.

You're not supposed to use any 3rd party application to make modifications to the game, no matter how small. You do realize that, don't you?

Saying "anyone can do this" is the same as saying "anyone can use wallhack + aimbot, so it makes the playing field even". But that isn't true, is it? Because not everyone wants to be banned, more than that, not everyone wants to win by cheating. I, for one, respect fellow players and never use cheats or exploits in multiplayer games, no matter how small! Ok, I did try to get out of the map in Modern Warfare 2 and once even succeeded while in the middle of the match, but that doesn't count as cheating - I didn't modify the game, I just jumped from one wooden plank to another.

Megadog14

You say

YuriUA wrote:

I, for one, respect fellow players and never use cheats or exploits in multiplayer games, no matter how small!

And then you say

YuriUA wrote:

Ok, I did try to get out of the map in Modern Warfare 2 and once even succeeded while in the middle of the match

Hmm...

YuriUA wrote:

Ok, I did try to get out of the map in Modern Warfare 2 and once even succeeded while in the middle of the match, but that doesn't count as cheating - I didn't modify the game, I just jumped from one wooden plank to another.

As for this... boosting isn't modifying the game, does that mean its ok? If I jump into a wall where nobody can hurt me but I can still kill them, is that ok?

YuriUA

As I said, I don't cheat. Shooting from where I can't be hurt is an exploit, I never used such a trick. Back in WoW I found a hole in the ground (someone showed me), falling through made you able to shoot people from under the ground without getting hurt yourself. That was a bad exploit, and I reported it to developers immediately. Didn't try to use it. Map was soon fixed.

In MW2 I was shot down a few times by a sniper in an unusual spot. Eventually (after getting killed about 10 times) I tracked him down to an area outside of the map. Then I decided to figure out how he got there (and weather hacks were involved). Eventually, I was able to get into the same spot in a public match without using any hacks, and found out the method is way too hard and the result is completely unrewarding. Reported and forgot about it.

Didn't find any exploits in COD: Ghosts so far.

I like finding bugs and exploits of all sorts in games. I'm a programmer myself and am interested in learning logics behind things by backwards-engineering stuff. I plan to make my own games later in the future, currently I'm still learning. As for bug reporting, what am I supposed to report if I can't successfully recreate the bug? I do not mean to gain any sort of advantage by "recreating" an exploit, but I prefer being certain it can be considered an exploit and should be fixed, and how to recreate it before I report it. Sending a bug reports in the form "I do not know how or why this happened" is not my style.

Drawcansir

Candyslexia, IW's community manager has stated on het twitter page they won't ban anyone using the FOV changer made by AgentRev. What's so hard to understand about that?

SKreapergaming

they made the game so that when you put the fov to 90, your arms start floating and stuff

so they definitely wont add it to the game

kRoOkEd

I play with 90 fov. If they banned for fov changer or don't add one, the game will die. Black ops 2 will be played for another year. Sadly, I get graphical hitches, mouse problems, nausea, and damn near seizures playing at 65. Im a PC player. 
    Playing at 90 doesn't give me an advantage.  It makes me ABLE to play.  

YuriUA

Well, actually it does give you an advantage over players with 65 FOV - you can see much more on your sides. So you can notice someone running there not looking your way.

Surely, it does feel more natural to play at FOV 90, but sadly its not implemented yet (or still blocked, call if what you will).

MrRealguy

I am not using it, but I know some people get motion sickness from the standard FOV set in the game, basicly making the game unplayable by those people. I hope it gets implemented because for some people it is absolutely needed to change the FOV to be able to play.

Skillfingers

Here is another voice from Activision now !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vms9a36pf73ncxb/Capture.JPG