39 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2013 11:58 PM by Adam1234567893 RSS

I have a worry - insta deaths.

biron_w

I've been watching footage of the games from various events and I noticed one thing - everybody just seems to drop dead, no indication they're being shot at or anything. They're just running along and then they're dead. You know....the dreaded insta deaths that you only really see in laggy games(or in BO2's case EVERY game).

If this is happening in LAN games then what's going to happen in proper online games?!

• Re: I have a worry - insta deaths.
    Super6goku

most of the gameplay been playing on alpha build so its normally glitch

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

At this period in time, they should be at Gold Master build by now. The earliest public leaks of BO2 started two weeks before the game was released. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ghosts available on the underground market soon. I got my copy of BO2 a week early before its public release date.

@biron: people says that Ghosts moves faster than any previous CODs. It's faster than BO2.

Super6goku

my friend was at the eurogamer expo and he going to be the next expo and he said that it was still alpha. and i got mine bo2 game about 3 weeks early.

T-boss

that sounds, terrable.

kill speeds should be BO2 at fastest. anything faster at all and it hurts the game more than helps. there is instadeath mode of hardcore for a REASON. dont want instadeth dont play hardcore. instead if it doesnt matter which, IW failed missribly with that balance choice.

speed in general needs to be slower and support more playstiles.

also if this is true i will skip this COD.

Adam1234567893

MW2 and MW3 had way stronger weapons then Black Ops 2 and they were slower then Black Ops 2 when it came to gameplay. Black Ops 2 is only fast because the maps are all barrel sized.

otisman666

T-boss wrote:

that sounds, terrable.

kill speeds should be BO2 at fastest. anything faster at all and it hurts the game more than helps. there is instadeath mode of hardcore for a REASON. dont want instadeth dont play hardcore. instead if it doesnt matter which, IW failed missribly with that balance choice.

speed in general needs to be slower and support more playstiles.

also if this is true i will skip this COD.

I have been harping on this since the first MP videos came out.  Now Macc (another forum guy) has been to a few of these hands on events and claims that it plays a bit differently then what the videos show, but I am skeptical.

As far as "Alpha Builds" go, well take into consideration that this exact same comment was said of MW3 and BO2 at around this time of year and the same answer always came up "it's an alpha build, they will fix it when the game comes out".  But the results were basically the same, at least from my point of view.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

Take a look at how fast the time to kill in COD Ghosts. I'm personally loving it. Now those headless chicken who runs past the corner I'm camping would have no time to turn around and hit me.

biron_w

I really hope this is down to it being an early build that's been shown.

From what I've seen people take quite a lot of bullets to get killed yet everybody seems to drop dead with no damage.

biron_w

Apparently this IS a problem in the finished game

Fedinggus

This isn't a problem, this is awesome.  Black ops 2 took way too many bullets to kill somebody and was completely unrealistic.  I love the IW gun power personally.  This isn't halo, it shouldn't take 12 shots with an ar to drop somebody.

biron_w

This doesn't mean you kill people instantly. It means you just drop dead when you're playing without even knowing you're getting shot at. It's not fun at all as you have literally no chance of avoiding death.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

I have the game early and the TTK is really fast. I hope IW will do some balancing on the Day1 TU. I feel like I don't have the chance to turn around if I'm getting hit at the back.

lewdmouth

Sounds like the devs did nothing to fix the engine lag. This has been getting progressively worse since the first BO. It has nothing to do with TTK. It has everything to do with the way the game engine lags by 200ms or more when processing information updates. By the time the player who is being hit processes the information, the death has already occured. This will be the death blow for COD if it's true. It also means that getting killed by players that magically appear from around corners shooting you before you even see them is still going to be there, maybe even worse than before. Not to mention dying a half second after reaching cover.  Glad I didn't preorder.

Izjar11

lewdmouth wrote:

Sounds like the devs did nothing to fix the engine lag.

Engine lag? What does this even mean?

RunAndGun1

lewdmouth wrote:

It also means that getting killed by players that magically appear from around corners shooting you before you even see them is still going to be there, maybe even worse than before. Not to mention dying a half second after reaching cover.  Glad I didn't preorder.

I've had this happen more then once. Today I finished off an enemy, and suddenly I died. Shocked by (another) insta-death I watched the Killcam, and it showed the guy who killed me standing right in front of me. I know the Killcam isn't always accurate. But, the fact still remains, the guy who killed me was NOT standing in front of me when I died. He ONLY showed up in the Killcam, not during actual gameplay.

This is all leading back to lag. Lag is still the number one problem with COD. And it has yet to be addressed seriously. Only when COD is always on dedicated servers will we see "manageable" lag. Lag that doesn't lead to insta-deaths, etc. Anyone playing other games on dedicated servers know this is factual.

Time to grow up to dedicated servers. The sooner the better.

T-boss

thats what hardcore is for.

Izjar11

I've noticed the exact same thing, very quick death with what seems to be hardcore type game play yet there is a map. We shall see what happens next week.

biron_w

So this problem is real.

I've only played against bots so far and you have little to no warning you're being shot at before you die.

No idea why this happens in COD now. I think it may be due to them switching from client side hit detection to sever side hit detection(or vice versa) I'm pretty sure I read it was one of these up to MW2 but then they changed it from BO1 onwards.

lewdmouth

you called it. Game has terrible engine lag

gators11235

Definitely a problem. At first I thought I was just dying too quickly, but then after realizing that I wasn't killing people remotely as quick as I was dying I started actually watching some kill cams. Sure enough the guy is firing at me with no damage detection on my end at all till it's too late of course.

I'm sure they'll patch some of the major problems, but this is one of the sloppiest versions of CoD at release time and could set a new low if things aren't fixed.

biron_w

If it's engine lag what can the devs actually do to fix the problem?

I think for next years game they really need to get a PROPER brand new engine. They can't keep using this one.

RunAndGun1

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. COD can no longer operate on P2P/ listening servers. From Ghosts on, COD should run on dedicated servers or not at all. This is by far THE worst lag I've ever seen in COD. I thought BO2 was the worst, Ghosts surpasses it by a mile.

Yes, there will even be lag on dedis, but it will be a fraction of a second and hardly noticeable as it is on BF. I'm not comparing the two, but BF is proof that dedicated servers make ALL the difference in the world when it comes to lag.

I've never been insta-killed as much in any game as I have in Ghosts. Yes, it's soon after release. But IW was hearing an earful about lag and publicly announced they would be paying special attention to it before release. And yet, we have the worst lag ever? Really? BO2 had the worst lag ever before. Now Ghosts is worse. What's up IW?

BTW, if - and when - they get the dedis up and running for current gen, I expect to see a return of Ground War with 9v9. With dedis we should be able to do 12v12 if not more. Let's see COD improve over time. So far it seems to be repeating itself, while getting worse lag. WTH.

Izjar11

Sucks if you are going through allot of latency, been playing squads and was dealing with really bad skipping and pauses, but it sort of corrects itself.

RunAndGun1

Izjar11 wrote:

Sucks if you are going through allot of latency, been playing squads and was dealing with really bad skipping and pauses, but it sort of corrects itself.

Explain how it corrects itself. That's quite the statement, but you gave no explanation. Not being sarcastic, just honestly curious. I really want to understand the process.

What's saddest of all is that, here in California, we are forced to accept the internet providers that have been "assigned" to the area we live in. I have to choose Time Warner Cable. Some goofball politician decided that was the fairest approach. Americans live in what is supposed to be a free market system. Where competition is supposed to generate better products, better quality of service, and competitive prices. Which usually means we get to choose our service providers. Not so with the Internet. Strange. I don't remember being allowed to vote on this topic. Oh, right...reality isn't what it's cracked up to be.

Izjar11

How should I know but it did, I am no developer man I just play the game. But playing squads today I was skipping, jerking around and so was the enemy AI bots and my friend. Hell, it stopped all of the sudden and the game played normally.

Here in Florida its the same, I have to choose the provider that works my zipcode, no ifs or buts, you use whats offered or you don't and shut up. I agree internet providers are a-holes.