32 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 10:36 PM by BobbyMcGee RSS

FOR THE LOVE OF JIM, FIX THE SPAWNS!

M4GNUM

It's outrageous.

I get spawned:

1. in front of enemy attack dogs

2. on top of enemy IEDs

3. in front of enemies

This happens ALL the time. Do they not see the issue when they are testing the game? Or are the spawns designed for the larger lobbies in PS3/4 and XBOX360/1  that the wii doesn't have?

Send me a clue, devs, I don't get it!

• Re: FOR THE LOVE OF JIM, FIX THE SPAWNS!
    Pwnsweet

Agree

Ronin2012

who is this JIM you speak of and why do you love him so much??

LastShadowCOD

More than agree!

nintendon't

I sometimes spawn right in someone's sights after joining a match.

A_Trey_U

I'm pushing this issue over to the folks who work on that stuff.

Ronin2012

Thanks, can you also push for connection quality based games like in previous COD titles and also to show what our connection quality is?

GamebroCrazy

Just go to options and press the button that corresponds with the text "system information" and look at bandwidth. 3000 is the highest speed possible so lets say you have a 2000 +, you are less likely to cause lag as host, find matches faster, and maybe find more matches then most people receive.

OFC-Giorgio

Bandwidth (in kbps) is in general not the bottleneck anymore

(unless you are using dial-up with a14k4 modem)

The latency (in ms; can be measured via the ping command) is the bottleneck.

If you are connected close to your providers big pipe to the internet you will

have a lower latency (i.e. faster traffic) and experience less lag.

If there are many hubs (i.e. a hub in your building, your street, your zip code area, your city)

between you and the big pipe you will experience more lag.

LastShadowCOD
            What you say is true, but not precisely why the game lags.  I have a 10ms ping time and only a 725kbs or so upload. Ghosts is unplayable online because of lag. In BO2 if you go below 650kbs upload you won't be able to join a match.  For those of us on the lower threshold of upload speed the game is made unplayable.  If you've got 3mbs upload - you won't notice hardly any lag. Ask Nintendon't and a few of those other guys with screaming connections.
              M4GNUM

Like I've said for a while now, there are some players that are in the butter zone - great bandwidth and great ping. These are the players with higher than average KDRs. Some have great bandwidth (like me), but horrible ping at times (like me). That causes lag. Some have horrible bandwidth (like you) but great ping (like you). That causes lag. But with the player-host system you are dependent not only on your own connectivity, but the connectivity of other players - this is why I lag the most. I stopped playing last night because the lag got so bad. It was like a bad Laurel and Hardy show where I was trying to simply go through a doorway, but the lag made it so I kept stuttering backwards and running into either side of the door. C'mon ya dumb game, I just want to go through the door!

What's weird is I didn't see lag at all for 5 days after launch. Now it's atrocious.

What I hope to see with dedicated servers is a leveling of the playing field to where the "competition" is evenly based. What I still don't understand about dedicated servers, though, is what happens with foreigners since dedicated servers will only be in North America. What happens when they join? During the day, there are all sorts of French and German players in the lobbies, which affects the connection.

OFC-Giorgio

What do you mean with a "ping time". Ping to who/which server?

The time it takes for a network packet to travel from your wiiu to the host is

measured in ms by e.g. the ping program and is the relevant "ping time"

The "ping time" [ms] from your device (pc/console) via your router to the gateway server of your

ISP is an indicator of the latency between you and your provider.

The "ping time" between you and a (e.g. speedtest.net) server in a particular city/state/country

is an indicator of the latency between you and that server.

In the game your wiiu has a connection to the wiiu that runs as host

(or hopefully in the future a dedicated host in the cloud).

It would be nice to see that "ping time"  being displayed in the lobby for each player.

Only a "few" years ago in 1996 that number was shown in games like e.g. Quake.

BTW a host with too low (incoming or outgoing) bandwidth will be flooded

with network traffic and a lot of network packets will be dropped i.e. lost

and yielding lag (but let's assume such a host would never be selected as a host due to its

limited bandwidth).

LastShadowCOD

Yeah, but you're missing my point. I'm 3 hops out to the internet including my router - 3 hops - which is pretty good for a retail connection. Even if I was sitting on the internet in 1 hop - all things being equal and assuming that COD chooses the best host - I still have barely enough bandwidth (pipe) to play online. For BO2 - that limit is somewhere in 650kbs upload range and for Ghosts it looks to be just a little more. Even if you have the fastest ping time in the world - even if you are the closest ping time to the host - you won't have a good experience because you can't push through 750kbs into a 650kbs pipe. It gets worse if you have downstream shares that are eating up your hop traffic as well.

We've tested it here several times - it's easy - start a youtube video uploading (or something that goes downstream) and try to play online. If you don't have the bandwidth you can't play.

Really, what Activision should do, is work in network preference as well in deciding what lobby you enter. There was talk on the BO2 board about locale and geo preference - which doesn't work because the guy next door could be on an entirely different network.

M4GNUM

3,000 isn't the highest possible - I'm consistently connecting at 4,100. Which is great since it would bounce between 1,500 and 2,800 in BO2.

But yeah, it's all about the ping like Giorgio said.

SinCaraxx

sweet.

• Re: Re: FOR THE LOVE OF JIM, FIX THE SPAWNS!
      Godotpwn

Heres the solution again:

double TEAM_BIAS = 0.75; // bias towards spawning near team mates, should be smaller than 1

double MIN_SPAWN_DISTANCE = 600; // Never spawn this close to any enemy

double best_spawn_value = -999999; // Numeric value to rank spawns. Highest is the best location

int best_spawn_location = 0; // Index in the array of the best spawn point

spawns: for (int i = 0; i < spawnLocations.length; i++) // Iterate through all possible spawns

{

double value = 0; // Assign each spawn location a fitness value

for (Enemy enemy : enemies)

{

value += enemy.getDistance(); // A good spawn is one that is far from enemies

if (enemy.hasLineOfSight() || enemy.getDistance() < MIN_SPAWN_DISTANCE) // Never spawn in LoS or too close to an enemy

continue spawns;

}

for (TeamMember friend : teamMembers)

value -= TEAM_BIAS * friend.getDistance(); // Give some weighting to nearby team members

if (value > best_spawn_value) // Update the currently best found spawn

{

best_spawn_value = value; // Update the best found spawn value

best_spawn_location = i; // Set this spawn as the best spawn location

}

}

spawn(best_spawn_location); // Spawn the player at the best location

M4GNUM

Thank you.

LucaPac

The fact is this:
    maps are big, 12 players are not enough on those maps, so (I suppose) they have decided to respawn players next to each others to make the game "faster" and we don't have to run for minutes before finding an enemy...the problem is that respawn are too next each others...

uscoastgaurd

I LITERALLY spawned behind someone who was using a Trinity Rocket in FFA.

Southpawgamer

Spawning is really crazy on this game just like any other COD games. You'll die fast if you don't constantly move. You killed someone in front of you then you get hit by someone at the rear or at the side. I like the spawning in MOH 2010 a lot better. But this is COD so I guess it's hard for them to make significant changes in the spawn system as it's not going to look like a COD game anymore - a crazy run & gun game.

BobbyMcGee

I got a lot of revenge medals in blops2. You die, spawn in, then run to your enemy. Especially on yemen. This is altogether different. Pl ayed a total of 2 matches just now, and at least 6 times spawned with an enemy at my back. I literally watched my character spawn in one of the killcams. Why is this happening when the maps look humongous?

Southpawgamer

The spawn system is so loosely scattered. You get points in Ghosts mainly for kills (similar to other COD games). Even on combat mission oriented game mod like Domination while you fight for control of the flags the spawn points comes from every direction. This leaves a player trying to control a flag to fight for himself. COD is not a team oriented game. It's pure run & gun. I don't know how IW or Treyarch gonna change the COD game mechanics when Activision is turning this into an eSports. It has to have an individualized approarch in scoring.

They can change the spawn system in a way that each team in a team based game spawn in 2 or 4 opposite directions then fight it out to gain control of its team spawn areas. This way each player in the game concentrate on the enemy forward rather than having to deal with enemies spawning in all directions. The shooting in Ghosts is very chaotic as it is right now a pure run & gun game. People often complain of run & gun yet COD games remain popular. I guess this is largely what most COD gamers wanted.

WiimotesRus02

Two games in a row today and the first I got destroyed by spawning in front of enemies, like six times in a row. The second game, and somehow on the same map with the same people I started off better. I was 8 ~ 3, then 12 ~ 3 then I died, the next 5 deaths was the same as the game before, all spawn dearhs. Any effort you put in a match is wasted, pointless, a waste of time. You get penalised for no reason what so ever. What are they waiting for to fix this issue?

Southpawgamer

Maybe they could add a 3-5 second spawn armor on the game.

BobbyMcGee

Is there any new info on the spawns? Its definitely my biggest complaint! Fix that and maybe the audio issues and lag, and fix wiimote aa for those that want it, and im reallyy pleased with this game.