11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2013 6:48 AM by Whack-a-newbie RSS

I keep trying, but I'm just not enjoying this title...

Whack-a-newbie

<whine>

I've played 4 previous COD titles. In each case game play was, although flawed, still addictive. I didn't do it all the time, but it wasn't unusual for me to kill an entire Saturday and a 2 liter bottle of fizzy drink with a Wiimote in my hand and COD on the TV.

I keep trying to love this game. I really, honestly do. I frequently turn on the Wii U, fire up Ghosts and get ready for some fun. Then, after half-dozen or so matches I'll turn it off in disgust and walk away... only to come back half an hour later and try again. But I keep repeating the same cycle.

Game play is just so darned INCONSISTENT. One game I'll go 28-4, the next game I'll go 6-15.

I would accept that I'm just a crappy COD player, or my style doesn't match this title well, or I just need to fine tune my loadout or settings... but in maybe 3 out of 10 games I play, the planets align, clouds clear and the ocean parts and I can play the hell out of this game and it feels like being back at home again. In BO2 it was most common for me to place in the top 3 at the end of a match. So I DO know how to play. Sure, I'd have my off games, or days that I just wasn't hitting anything. But for the most part, I wasn't the best, but I was a solid 'ok'.

That's just not happening on Ghosts. My own performance varies SO drastically. And not just me, but everyone on my team. Losing a match by 30 points and feeling like I just spent the last ten minutes being overrun by a pack of wild boar tends to steal the joy out of the game for me. I have to keep reminding myself it's only been a week and a half, and to hang in there hoping something... ANYTHING changes.

Maybe I need to just put it away for a few days and go play Zombies or something...

</whine>

• Re: I keep trying, but I'm just not enjoying this title...
    SRPhoenix

I really don't fell it's as bad as all that, at least considering there is some patching yet to do and it will likely (hopefully) get better. That being said, I am getting the feeling the multiplayer was designed around people migrating to squads - level up online and then bash it out with your friends in squads.

For the time being that is how I am going to approach it. Level up a few soldiers online, starting with different defaults (and associated perks), and then try to customize a squad.

Padiego

You know, you're not forced to like this game, you're not supposed to force yourself to like it. You can dislike it, and move on. There's other fish on the sea, don't limit yourself to one.

Whack-a-newbie

You speak the truth, aye. For me I guess it boils down to months and months of hype and anticipation. Then, when I finally got to Oz and saw the man behind the curtain... well, it's kind of a letdown that I'm trying hard to make the best of.

Perhaps you are quite correct... maybe the "best" in this case is to trade this one in and take a shot at something else. After all, I still have BO2 to tide me over until next year's rehash.

For now I will put it away for the weekend, play Zombies and Toki Tori and see how I feel about it on Monday.

gWiiVer

I love it before the update - not as much now

M4GNUM

I'm very fond of the game - I like it waaaay better than BO2 for sure.

For me, this game as 5 issues:

1. fix the increasingly bad lag - waiting for dedicated servers before I whine *too* much

2. fix wiimote sniping controls - why do they miss this each and every year? why don't they test that?

3. fix the spawns - how do they not notice this during testing?

4. add a "find game by region" filter - too many foreign players are killing the connection

5. make players appear on the screen if they don't move for more than 30 seconds, excluding snipers

Ronin2012

M4GNUM wrote:

3. fix the spawns - how do they not notice this during testing?

There are too many issues that were missed during testing. Poor quality control i'd say. "Just push it out there, people will buy it and we'll fix it when we get time."

A delayed release date is far better than a flawed game at release

WiimotesRus02

I know dozons of people who would happily pay double for this game if it had more time spent on it, tested properly so it ran flawless from day one. So I guess the game makers are shooting themselves in the foot. All the complaints in this forum should tell them something, about their reputation for one thing..

Whack-a-newbie

Lots of features in this game I love. Maps, equipment, accolades... I know a bunch of thought went into the game. Unfortunately the implementation of all that seems rushed and "third tier". I've bought games out of the bargain bin that work better. I paid full price for a game that's worth a third of what I paid. And now that the update has totally screwed up 'mote controls. Not just he AA, but even just moving around is horrible. Clunky and robotic. Cripes, I can't even climb up a freakin' obstacle! Screen says "Press A to climb" I press. I jump. I press and jump. I press forward, A and jump. By the time I FINALLY start to climb through a window or over a wall... shot in the back by the guy that just spawned behind me.

It was infinitely more playable BEFORE the update "fixed" things.