43 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 1:04 PM by codchamp RSS

My 3G connection is lag free

frtthunderpants

Hi All

I have suffered like many others with a really poor connection to this game. And would like some advise or comments on what has worked for you?  (apologies for the long post as back ground is needed)

I started playing on my original connection that had my router set up as per activation's help guide, I ran trace routes from my console to MS Xbox test servers and locally, averaged about a 9ms ping, to Europe (6000 miles away averaged about a 150ms ping). This is a tier 1 ISP that gives gaming the highest priority on there network. The lag or lag comp what ever you want to call it made this game un-playable!!!! PS I was chosen as host the majority of times on this connection. (I know this as when i opted out of the game host migration in progress)

My second try was with a second tier ISP rated badly, but gave them a go, got host about the same amount of times, and had a few WTF moments, but overall my experience was better. On my trace routes my average local ping was about 40ms and internationally to Europe about 160ms.

My 3rd test was using my I phone as a hotspot and connecting to it, via my 3 g connection, as we are all aware this is a very unstable connection at the best of times, and my trace route test showed that, local ping was never below 50ms and went up to as high as 90ms, internationally all test where over 200ms.

HERE IS THE SURPRISE ON MY 3G WIFI CONNECTION I OWNED I RAN AROUND WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD COULD TAKE BULLETS TURN AND KILL WHOEVER WAS SHOOTING AT ME, I WAS ALMOST INVINCIBLE COMPARED TO THE WIRED BROADBAND CONNECTIONS.

So what to do if I play on 3G there is one less capable host to this game, so less lobbies to connect to, but the game is way more fun and playable. Has anyone else tried this or had similar experiences, or could someone explain this a little better.

I SO BADLY WANT TO LOVE THIS GAME BUT IW NEEDS TO FIX IT!!!!!!

• Re: My 3G connection is lag free
    Defiant_Hotshot

This doesn't even make sense. What the hell IW XD?

zyxTryHardzX

Frankly, I don't think the lag that we're experiencing on Ghosts is related to people connections. I get host almost all the time (180Mb down/70Mb down) and I lag as hard as someone that is on free college WiFi. This game obv was meant to be played on Next Gen and because of that people that are on current gen are getting absolutely screwed and it's just pathetic. Not only do we miss out on tons of crap that we were promised there'd be no difference in current/next gen... but we get to deal with idiotic connection because IW are a bunch of lazy clowns.

foo1sgo1d

I agree that it's not all connection based lag and some is def console related, but conection still plays a big part. I think what's happening in this case is he is geting a good connection to game host over 3G but never good enough to grab host. It really is ridiculous that having a good connection can be a hinderence in this game, but I'm am sure there are more players out there with horrible connections than there are with good and they are probably the guys who are not seeing the problems others are having.

jsnsan

Lag comp at its pinnacle.... but what do I know, i'm just an idiot that doesn't know how networking works. but with the number of "experts" on this forum, you're bound to find a right and just answer. some will benefit  and others will falter. either way, no one will be right... according to whoever responds. LOL! there, how's that for a response for you?

but all kidding aside, i do find the lag to be a little better. i do miss having the little bars next to my name, to give me an idea on how my connection is with everyone else. call me a *****, but when your 2000+/- miles away from the continental US, a three bar or a four bar connection can make a HUGE difference.

Bielsalmighty

OP, I think you'll find your lagging harder than ever, which will be masked on your screen by smoothing. Want to know why you can take bullets? Your hitbox is skipping all over the place due to the instability of your connection, making you hard to hit and causing instances of sheer WTF for anyone shooting at you.

So!

Carry on with your cheaty advantage if you must. I'd love to see some video evidence of you actually being 'behind' everyone else. To my knowledge nobody claiming this has ever been able to cough up any proof.

frtthunderpants

I must admit this is hard decision either go back and be slaughtered or carry on being on the plus side and enjoying the game as before i tested my connections I was really considering trashing this game but after the test I am enjoying the game it is actually quit fun.

frtthunderpants

How is it a "cheaty" advantage as spending loads of money on my internet and the only reason I have had to go through this amount of testing is because there is a large portion of the community that must already be doing this, or have really bad internet connections, so all I am doing is joining the masses

Bielsalmighty

Yes, there are a lot of people who have godawful internet and are enough of a luddite to not realise. However making yourself part of the problem does nothing to fix it now does it? As I said, have fun with your cheaty advantage if you must.

EDIT: Also, I've explained how its cheaty. You are purposely destabilising your connection enough to make it difficult to land shots on you due to your hitbox lagging everywhere. Now you know whats happening it would deffo be cheaty to carry on down this path. The choice is yours.

Megadog14

So you discovered how to lag switch?

starbuckfrack

Your connection "speed " has no relevance on a game console that uses .04 up and .04 down to play a video game.

All that really matters is your PING.

As for playing thru you phone that is not designed to play video games off a console properly. Technically even though its probably not a violation you are manipulating your connection to get a better game. That would not be the games fault.

zrxd

You will find that ping is generally the most important thing when using dedicated servers. There are other factors such as hardware, its resources and your actual internet connection but ping is top of the list.

P2P is different and the game code is used to analyse and dare I say manipulate all factors of player connections. I don't believe assigning host is based purely on ping speed. Players are often penalised for having good internet connections while Johnny Gamer is having a great time on his $2 a month Wallmart 56k dialup.

There's more to P2P than I will ever know or understand but it has been proven that in P2P games such as MW3 and Blops2 you can reduce lag by throttling the upload speed to a sub 1 meg value. The other way of achieving the same thing instead of configuring router bandwidth manually is to connect several devises to your home network. They all use bandwidth and reduce the bandwidth available to the xbox. It's not ideal but it's better than the game being unplayable.  Please note that this is NOT lag switching which is a vastly different proposition in itself and cheating.

myevo8you

starbuckfrack wrote:

Your connection "speed " has no relevance on a game console that uses .04 up and .04 down to play a video game.

As for playing thru you phone that is not designed to play video games off a console properly. Technically even though its probably not a violation you are manipulating your connection to get a better game. That would not be the games fault.

Actually Ping is HIGHLY dictated by your UPLOAD speed.

rankismet

myevo8you wrote:

starbuckfrack wrote:

Actually Ping is HIGHLY dictated by your UPLOAD speed.

That's a negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Bandwidth =/= Ping.

Megadog14

When im on my home wifi, which is 5mbps down 1 up, i average about 10 ms of ping. When im using 4g on my phone, which is 15mbps down 3 up, i average 20 ms ping. Its not speed related at all.

zrxd

I'm in the UK on BT Infinity 60 meg d/l and 10 meg u/l. My local ping is 40 ms and my ping to a server in Denver is 140 ms and New York 82 ms. I remember back in the day playing Unreal Touranment which ran on dedicated servers and basically you didn't bother joining a server if the ping was higher than 100 ms. 50 ms or less was the optimum to reduce the inherent lag effect and to be able to compete. So even dedicated servers are not the be all and end all but much better the P2P. I hope we get some servers in the UK/Europe. I hope we get some dedicated servers for the 360 console period.

Add the effect of this type of gaming over P2P and you're screwed if a player pulling host is not local to you and if you pull host yourself then forget it. I remember reading that in MW3 (and other COD games since) that those with good internet connections were penalised so that those with poor internet connections could compete hence the benefit to be gained from throttling the upload speed to try and reverse that penalty to reduce the lag.

With P2P I don't know what the answer is but dedicated servers will provide some improvement.

rankismet

frtthunderpants wrote:

Hi All

I have suffered like many others with a really poor connection to this game. And would like some advise or comments on what has worked for you?  (apologies for the long post as back ground is needed)

I started playing on my original connection that had my router set up as per activation's help guide, I ran trace routes from my console to MS Xbox test servers and locally, averaged about a 9ms ping, to Europe (6000 miles away averaged about a 150ms ping). This is a tier 1 ISP that gives gaming the highest priority on there network. The lag or lag comp what ever you want to call it made this game un-playable!!!! PS I was chosen as host the majority of times on this connection. (I know this as when i opted out of the game host migration in progress)

My second try was with a second tier ISP rated badly, but gave them a go, got host about the same amount of times, and had a few WTF moments, but overall my experience was better. On my trace routes my average local ping was about 40ms and internationally to Europe about 160ms.

My 3rd test was using my I phone as a hotspot and connecting to it, via my 3 g connection, as we are all aware this is a very unstable connection at the best of times, and my trace route test showed that, local ping was never below 50ms and went up to as high as 90ms, internationally all test where over 200ms.

HERE IS THE SURPRISE ON MY 3G WIFI CONNECTION I OWNED I RAN AROUND WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD COULD TAKE BULLETS TURN AND KILL WHOEVER WAS SHOOTING AT ME, I WAS ALMOST INVINCIBLE COMPARED TO THE WIRED BROADBAND CONNECTIONS.

So what to do if I play on 3G there is one less capable host to this game, so less lobbies to connect to, but the game is way more fun and playable. Has anyone else tried this or had similar experiences, or could someone explain this a little better.

I SO BADLY WANT TO LOVE THIS GAME BUT IW NEEDS TO FIX IT!!!!!!

Shorter: I can't be killed when I lag and I like it.

I'm not trying to be rude but this is what I take away from your post.

• You die too much when the connection is good.
    • You die less when your connection is crap.
    • Therefore, the issue is the connection.

Perhaps you aren't as good as you think you are and die when you should when the connection is at it's best?

They need to up the standard of internet to be able to play. There is no reason why anyone on a 3G connection (or equivalent) should be allowed to play on-line matches.

Bielsalmighty

It would be a shame to deny the few who genuinely have awful internet, but as more and more people are purposely doing this, I could see what you say being the case. Kudos CoD community, kudos...

rankismet

Bielsalmighty wrote:

It would be a shame to deny the few who genuinely have awful internet, but as more and more people are purposely doing this, I could see what you say being the case. Kudos CoD community, kudos...

Yeah... it might be a touch harsh but one person's horrid internet can ruin 11 others' experience.

But 3G?

Oy vey.

Bielsalmighty

Tis true. I was quite happy to tolerate the occasional bloke who seemed to be playing out of an igloo, but since people started this whole ruddy destabilisation crap on BO2 its gotten out of hand. Admittedly not as bad as it was at one point, but its still dangerously rife.

frtthunderpants

I never professed to be a top notch player, but have been playing FPS for many years, you get to know what just occurred on your screen, was completely biased and unfair, so what I am doing and I am probably not the only one is for fair play not to try and play better.

Bielsalmighty

So if your house got robbed, you'd go out and rob your neighbours as recompense? Nice thinking there champ.

rankismet

frtthunderpants wrote:

I never professed to be a top notch player, but have been playing FPS for many years, you get to know what just occurred on your screen, was completely biased and unfair, so what I am doing and I am probably not the only one is for fair play not to try and play better.

No... your rationalizing actions you know are wrong. Everyone is cheating, therefore, I shall cheat.

It doesn't make you fair.

It makes you Lance Armstrong.

frtthunderpants

Weirdly enough I completely agree with your closing statement, if your line is not capable of the required performance you should be relegated to a different host. As I really do believe after the test that I done that this is what is causing all the WTF moments in this game.

starbuckfrack

Well your rude response got deleted. Wonder why ?

You pinged the trace routes to the XBOX servers so you trace routes are irrelevant when you are not connecting to the Xbox server in a game . You are connecting to the HOST 360 in a game.

Just like your ping to Denver is irrelevant too.

In both cases you are connecting to a very powerful server, not to someones measly old Xbox.

Maybe if you knew what you were doing people wouldnt have to chime in.

and in no way was my original post here belligerent. It was factual. I in know way insulted your intelligence in that post. If you dont want factual information then dont  post in a PUBLIC forum where people are allowed to respond to you.

blb128

I knew it wouldn't be long before I saw one of these posts. I wish the dedicated servers were online because there are far too many players nowadays that think they are awesome at COD but when reality sets in we play the blame game. The connection or lag comp is the scapegoat for everything that doesn't go our way.

Everybody gets the WTF moments. I know because I've had plenty in this game. I'm also smart enough to know that things do go my way too and my opponent my be like WTF. Some of us also know that gaming across the internet isn't perfect. Hell i'm still happy to be able to play with players all across the US. When I first started gaming as a kid multiplayer was playing splitscreen on the same console and tv with a friend.

Bielsalmighty

Aye. Its hilarious isn't it, the way people equate success with connection quality? There'll be a rise in hacker/modded controller/rubbish server accusations once dedis are set in properly, mark my words.

zrxd

I think you're generalising too much but to some extent yes some players will still complain after dedi's arrive. However you cannot escape the fact that many players are suffering from perceived connection related issues with seemingly excellent broadband connections in the COD games since MW3 onwards. For me personally, while I'm of average skill, Ghosts is unplayable for me and I know it's not me. Throwing in the Blops1, MW2 or COD4 disks sees the problem disappear. I was playing COD4 last night having a great time and wondering why IW doesn't have Ghosts playing the same way.

Bielsalmighty

One of the guys I play with has a 1GB line. His connection is consistent. I highly doubt BB quality has much, if anything, to do with it...

zrxd

It should not have an impact but in COD p2p games it does for so many players and the evidence is there to demonstrate that.

Bielsalmighty

Not really, as its only a small number on these forums who complain of it. I can remember a few who complained of it who found out that their latency issues actually stemmed from their TVs. I have BT Infinity also, on a line similar to yours. I have little to no problems, unless I'm matched up with distant EU players or (god forbid) dudes from an entirely distant continent, who then pull host.

Other than that, I've had a consistent experience across all titles. It'd be nice if they took a leaf out of BO2's book and locked you into only playing people on your own continent, or even better your own country...

EDIT: actually, I'd go so far as to say this game has the best connection quality I've experienced for a while. As much as I enjoyed the game, BO2's was pretty weak. I was, and am, mightily impressed with how well this game has played from day 1.

starbuckfrack

zrxd wrote:

many players are suffering from perceived connection related issues with seemingly excellent broadband connections in the COD games since MW3 onwards.

Generalized statement.

Its not YOUR excellent broadband connection nor is it MY excellent connection. It basically comes down to the hosts connection and all 11 other players in the lobby.

As for all the other games that you play are fine the general publics entire connection quality is what matters on the forum. You always will get about 1 percent of the people (for example) that say their connection was perfectly fine.

codchamp

I have been lagging my nut sack off since launch. I got it fixed though. First off i saved the game to my hard drive. So now the xbox is not constantly working. This since has gotten rid of all the lag. #2 I had one dude i played with on a nightly basis. He for some reason ALWAYS pulled host. Even though i got a 10 MS ping in a 300 mile radius and 150 upload 65 download fios speed. Well i booted his ass like a $5.00 crack ho. Since the connection has been solid

SheSaidNo

Saved it to your hard drive? Obviously I'm missing something because I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but I thought it forces you to download the game? I was only prompted to download the campaign. 

How'd you do it?

starbuckfrack

Not sure how the 3 disks are setup and havent done it with this game but....

When the other disk is in the drive , hilite the games square on the screen and hit the blue button for game details. Then on the next screen you will see install.

For some games I play this seems to have them stop randomly locking up on me.

starbuckfrack

Yeah you would be surprised what problem is solved by copying to the hard drive. The one game I play doesnt lock up 5 times a day anymore. Hasnt locked up in a week.

codchamp

I have noticed over the years especially with the COD franchise that if you save the game to the HD it will perform better. The disc drive is not constantly working to pull data from the disc and free's things up to make the game perform better.

I do want to retract my statement that i made earlier in this post. I played lastnight and the game was VERY laggy. I dont know the cause but it is not my hardware or connection.

Also for those of you that do not know what i mean by saving the game to the HD. For those of us that have disc based copies and not digital downloads.....When you insert the disc in to the xbox, Instead of hitting the *a* button to start playing, Click on the *X* button for game details. it will give you the option to save the game contents to the hard drive of the 360. Why should you do this?

#1 The game will load faster

#2 The game will perform faster

#3 You will not work the hardware ( Disc Drive and other moving parts ) to much. So the xbox will run cooler and not get to hot.

#4 If you ever scratch your CD. The game will still play fine as long as that disc is in the tray.

etc etc etc.