8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2013 9:59 PM by like2nap03 RSS

Look how far we've come

Pwnsweet

Who remembers when the original Wii first came out? Now who remembers a game called Red Steel? or Call of Duty 3? What about Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Medal of Honor Vanguard or The Conduit?

I'm sure most of you have heard of those titles, but how many of you actually played them? All of those games allowed you to aim using the Wiimote. I played all of them using Wiimote and I remember hating them all. I was stuck to predetermined presets and not one of them had enough customization to get the Wiimote to feel the way I wanted it. In fact, not even Nintendo's own Metroid Prime games allowed for customization beyond just 3 different settings, with the fastest option just barely fast enough. And then one day I came across a game called Call of Duty: Black Ops.

This game was amazing. It allowed me to change dead zones, turn speeds, sensitivities - the works. It even allowed me to customize my button layout! It was exactly what I always wanted. Now I know it wasn't the first COD game on Wii to allow for such customization, but it was the first one I played, and it was the first time that I saw the true potential of the Wiimote. Since then, the only studio to continue improving and adding to the Wiimote controls with each iteration is Treyarch's Wii team. I mean, it would've been so easy for them to just take the easy route and drop Wiimote support this gen, especially given that the Wii U doesn't come with a Wiimote and nunchuk. But they didn't. They stuck with us and they keep improving, keep adding.

I dunno if any of the original people are still part of the current Wii U dev team, but if you are and you're reading this, I'm so very grateful for all the work that you've done over the years. Thank you.

• Re: Look how far we've come
    piiwii

Have you played Red Steel 2? I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's certainly not at the same level as COD (in terms of controls) but it caught me off guard because I had completely dismissed it after RS1. I only played it for the first time earlier this year.

There are a few games that have always shocked me because of how much praise they get:

1) Metroid Prime 3 - the hype was ludicrous. Turning was so slow. I lost interest immediately. Game was probably good but it controlled like a dog.

2) Call of Duty 3 - IGN were praising it for the controls. Seriously? It was near unplayable for me.

2) Goldeneye 007 - I spent hours working on the config but it always felt horrible. I can't believe the controls got so much praise. Even on serious gamer forums like NeoGaf you'll hear people talking positively about this game. WTF. The controls were SO. BAD. This is almost as overhyped as Metroid Prime 3's controls.

I never bothered with The Conduit games.

Finding BLOPS2 was like a revelation for me. I had totally overlooked the COD games on Wii after playing the 3 mentioned above. They were overhyped and disappointing, so by that point I had given up. I should have given them another chance instead of waiting 6 bloody years to see all the promises of Red Steel finally delivered.

Nintendo's biggest mistake was not offering all these controller setting API's as part of the standard dev kit. Every developer was forced to reinvent the wheel, and almost all of them failed, so very few FPS developers took the system seriously, and therefore it never gained traction with the hardcore. Wii Sports was the same - why was every developer forced to reinvent Golf, Tennis etc. You would never ask a developer to code their own API's for basic functions like tilting the analogue stick, or pressing an A button, so why keep basic controls like swinging a bat, a sword etc so close to their chests?

GamebroCrazy

Yeah! I've been on the Nintendo Community since Black Ops and it has really changed.

Whack-a-newbie

Nintendo's biggest mistake was not offering all these controller setting API's as part of the standard dev kit. Every developer was forced to reinvent the wheel, and almost all of them failed, so very few FPS developers took the system seriously, and therefore it never gained traction with the hardcore. Wii Sports was the same - why was every developer forced to reinvent Golf, Tennis etc. You would never ask a developer to code their own API's for basic functions like tilting the analogue stick, or pressing an A button, so why keep basic controls like swinging a bat, a sword etc so close to their chests?

I couldn't agree more! Consistency from title to title would be a godsend! Nintendo needs to include an opensource API that devs can implement as is, or mod to suit their needs, but the core motion physics and geometry as well as adjustment options should remain fairly constant from game to game.

Kilano

Medal of Honor 2 was the first Online Shoote ri played on Wii ^^
    imported from england. I LOOOOOVED it 32 Player at Once.
    it was a blast, after that i played cod and was always sad that only 5vs5 or 6vs6years later i got back and tried some rounds of MoH2 on wii.....Graphics....Health...everything terribad
    i adjusted to new standards.

but i will never forget the awesome months of playing with a whole bunch in Teamspeak
    capture the flag, sniping, shooting, costumizing map rules.....good...goood memories

Pwnsweet

Fun fact - the Australian version of MOH Heroes 2 didn't have online multiplayer. Seriously.

Also:

Shake nunchuk to reload? shake Wiimote to throw grenade!? Are they serious? This was exactly the reason why I just couldn't get into these older games. It was only when BO1 and MW3 came along that I really got into the Wiimote for shooters.

Still can't get over that 'shake Wiimote to throw grenade'. How did anyone on their dev team not see how fail that was during play testing?

ThtGyNTheBckgrnd

I never owned any MOH games, but I always played them at my friends house. First was Allied Assault on his Gamecube and then Vanguard on the Wii. Then, one great day, he got W@W. Thats pretty much how everything started for me

RawJustice

Well, the Wii U didn't come with a Wiimote & Nunchuck but it came with a SENSOR BAR, so wiimote still lives! lol I see whatcha mean pwnsweet, we came along way. Glad Wii Remote is in CoD and Wii U games, I've had to much history with this controller, not having it would be heartbreaking.

like2nap03

It's funny.  Each of those games kept improving on the wii remote, but if I go back and play them now, it makes me wonder how I ever used those "terrible" controls.  Even W@W feels archaic to me. 

And Red Steel 2 is awesome.  One of my favorite games.  I'll probably never get rid of it.  Anyway, I remember when The Conduit came out and the controls were just great.  So much customization.  Then Black Ops comes out and blows it away.  Then Conduit 2 comes out and somehow manages to have less customization than The Conduit and overall be worse.  Treyarch stole the show with the controls in Black Ops and somehow they keep getting better.  Though I think BLOPS2 was a slight step back from MW3, they seem to have made up for it in Ghosts.