7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2013 4:16 AM by maccabi RSS

Cross Country Gaming creates lag?

surgecrysis

I live in Florida and so do most of my clan members, while the rest live on the east coast. Why is it that we always get matched up with players that live across the country or in canada? This causes a 1 second delay in game most times. Is their no regional monitor set up so that this 1 second lag wont happen? I called my isp and they said my numbers were good for gaming its just that when trying to connect with players from across the country there will be lag like this. And it is unfair that I get killed because on my screen my opponent is infront of me but the kil cam after he kills me says i missed him entirely because he moved, yet on my screen he is directly infront of me. Please help.

• Re: Cross Country Gaming creates lag?
    maccabi

surgecrysis wrote:

I live in Florida and so do most of my clan members, while the rest live on the east coast. Why is it that we always get matched up with players that live across the country or in canada? This causes a 1 second delay in game most times. Is their no regional monitor set up so that this 1 second lag wont happen? I called my isp and they said my numbers were good for gaming its just that when trying to connect with players from across the country there will be lag like this. And it is unfair that I get killed because on my screen my opponent is infront of me but the kil cam after he kills me says i missed him entirely because he moved, yet on my screen he is directly infront of me. Please help.

i doubt very much you have 1 sec lag i would assume by that comment you are going from the killcam?

right distance will cause latency it cant be avoided, if you are playing in a party thats mixed geographically being smart with who is the party leader will help chose someone who is local to the most people as matchmaking goes off the party leader.

DalekonDrugs

maccabi is right it is the science and the realistic problem with the internet which cannot be fixed all I can say is what maccabi has said and make sure your party host suits the parties needs.

ghamorra

It's pretty logical if you step back and think about it. The greater the distance the longer it takes to get from point A to point B.

Second, your numbers are good for gaming on paper, but those aren't the number during application. You can be signed up for 20mb/s speed but based on router set up, poor in-home wiring, and various other factors, I promise you that your console is gaming is not working anywhere remotely close to those speeds.

surgecrysis

Oknthen you tell me how I go about fixing the problem. Money is no issue. And why is it that some games i can go 30-5 and blast people down as soon as i see them, but other games I go 6-17. Did i lose skill some how?

maccabi

surgecrysis wrote:

Oknthen you tell me how I go about fixing the problem. Money is no issue. And why is it that some games i can go 30-5 and blast people down as soon as i see them, but other games I go 6-17. Did i lose skill some how?

it's not really a "problem" per se your trying to fight physics, the further you are from a server the more latency you will have its unavoidable.

There are steps you can take to improve your connection quality thought

• Make sure you chose a party leader close to you -whoever is party leader will be the person the game matchmakes from
        • Make sure if possible you use a wired connection
        • Make sure you have correctly set up your console with forwarded ports
        • Play game modes with high populations -the higher the population of players in the game mode the more choices to matchmake with
        • Although I would never advise someone to spend money on something needlessly - investing in a decent router can make a huge difference especially if you are using an isp given generic router.

for what its worth following these steps can make a difference I am in the uk and regularly play with people across the pond with no issues at all

*could you mark this answer as helpful or correct if it helped as it helps others who are searching thank you

gambit1969

I feel your pain man, i have been getting matched up with people on the far side of Europe, into russia the middle east and north africa, and i live in Ireland.

I have been catching terrible almost constant lag in every game

Aqancake

Yup the connection is really FU now. Used to be fine the first week.