8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2013 8:50 AM by Zacharybinx34 RSS

Next Gen NetCode (Technical)

Zacharybinx34

This is written to any developer who is capable of understanding and looking into the technical side of my question relating to netcode.

During lastgen's console run I pointed out to one of the lead dev's that one the major problems with COD's netcode centered around the frequency that the game client sends and receives updates - this is an easy to see problem as this number has not changed much (if at all) from ID's Quake engine and the send/receive number put in place then.

Dedicated servers and improved matchmaking algorithms will help, but you have essentially tied your hands by not upping the frequency of send/receive server packet updates between clients and server/host.

During last gen, I actually got a DEV to look into this issue directly, and he explained that they couldn't up this number as it would drop the COD standard of 60FPS down too low.

Now that we are on next gen, has this number been upped yet, and if not, why not?

This single adjustment would improve the online experience dramatically for your next gen COD Ghosts players.

Please, if a dev could respond to this I would greatly appreciate it. This is an important issue, please do not over look it.

• Re: Next Gen NetCode (Technical)
    Sannji

SOMEONE ANSWER THIS MAN!

Zacharybinx34

Bump!

Any Devs around?

maccabi

Upping the tickrate would not necessarily improve the quality of "nextgen" sessions  , I'm assuming of course you can link this convo with the "dev" right?

You may have a new shiny console but you still have the same net connection, upping the tickrate doesn't improve your ping, nor will it magically improve the game (although you haven't actually explained that part as to why you think it would) .

once you start upping tickrates you put more strain on everything from the server to your console.

There is a very good reason why tickrates haven't changed much over the years for online games (and yes this does go right back to the good old days of a quake engine) and that's because the numbers used are a good workable trade off. There's no point adding extra bandwidth and processing stress to a games server or client when the majority of the time the client is then forced to render basically useless frames . Once you start upping tickrates you also then start upping the frequency of dropped packets, lag spikes and a whole heap of other things that make online gaming a pain in the butt at times.

so simple answer to your question would upping the tickrates improve the game ...NO

Zacharybinx34

Tickrates set to the days when everyone used DIAL UP is just bad.

The bottom line is that internet connections have increased drastically since the Quake days, and adjusting the tickrates to be higher would be an improvement.

Yes, if you put the tick rates too high, you have major problems, but that point doesn't negate the fact that the netcode's tickrates for COD are still based off when we were using dialup.

maccabi

Zacharybinx34 wrote:

Tickrates set to the days when everyone used DIAL UP is just bad.

The bottom line is that internet connections have increased drastically since the Quake days, and adjusting the tickrates to be higher would be an improvement.

Yes, if you put the tick rates too high, you have major problems, but that point doesn't negate the fact that the netcode's tickrates for COD are still based off when we were using dialup.

and packet size in ALL online games is still set by parameters and sizes fixed since the days of dial up ..

Sorry with the utmost of respect here but the argument that lets just up the tickrates will fix everything doesn't work in real life applications like cod .

Zacharybinx34

What is your point?

More frequent pings to the server updating clients positions would be a vast improvement.

Simply saying, "NO IT WOULDN'T" isn't persuasive.

DJ_Immortal

You expect a point?

Whenever you ask even a remotely technical question on here, someone will crop up & all you'll get is a statement saying "you are wrong", with no effort at validatition or method of verification. I strongly suspect that there are several IW/activision employees on here masquerading as users, with the sole purpose of deflecting these questions

The following may seem like a thread hijack, but im actually trying to emphasise the fact that these people make statements that don't stand up to any kind of quantifiable testing or even the most basic observation, then close the thread when proved wrong:

I asked why I keep getting matches in French & German lobbies (which lag like mad). I got told it's the geolocation of your ip: I proved that wrong.

Then I got told the usual stock answer: it's your ISP,. Unfortunately for this answer; I found (accidentally) that the issue vanished when I connected to my network wirelessly, ie same ISP & same ip. So therefore proved that wrong

Guess what their next answer was?

"This is not a technical issue" & locked the thread. Err yes  because me wanting to play in a lobby with little lag is clearly a preference & the fact that matchmaking is directly affected by reducing my bandwidth (ie switching to wifi) is obviously nothing technical.

Personally I am not a networking engineer, I do not know exactly how the net code runs, so I am unable to comment on your actual question. But your basic theory seems sound to me.