45 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2013 5:10 PM by Bielsalmighty RSS

whats the reasoning behind not showing our pings?

hottoddler

i dont want to have to wait till i die 5 times in a row after emptying a clip into someone and doing no damage to confirm that im playing with people far, far away from me?

cant we just see our pings in the lobby? why are they hidden?

• Re: whats the reasoning behind not showing our pings?
    TheFrench720

I will like to see the ping too

P4rtCh1mp

At first i thought it was a conspiracy so we didn't know how bad connections were, now I just think it's just another sign of the half-assed quality of Ghosts in general.

xlwolfshirt1

Because Activision doesn't want you to see that people with crappy connections still have a noticeable advantage. 

gotsomestars

It was pointless in the first place, as well as inaccurate.

If it takes you 5 deaths to realise you are"lagging" you aren't lagging bad enough to make a difference. The common cod player uses "lag" as a crutch. If they have a bad game, its lag. If someone beats them, " lag comp put them at a disadvantage". However, when they do well, none of these things are happening.

Izjar11

First: It did not represent your ping

Second: It did nothing to determine ones connection, it was almost always inaccurate. One less thing to bog the game down like theater. 

maccabi

hottoddler wrote:

i dont want to have to wait till i die 5 times in a row after emptying a clip into someone and doing no damage to confirm that im playing with people far, far away from me?

you have never been able to see your ping in game, the bars represented a very wide range of pings and served no purpose

HCislolz

False, each bar had its own range of pings, so it was helpful to know if your ping was in the adequate range, or in the really high ranges.

hottoddler

so it was a coincidence when my bar was red i had ridiculous lag and when it was green none? every time?

deamonomic

there is no such thing as no lag. there is always lag.  and what Maccabi means is it doesnt give you your actual ping it gives you a rough idea and nothing more.

hottoddler

which was a useful tool in determining if a lobby would be a laggy mess, as i said in my original post.

in previous games i could tell instantly if i entered a game hosted on another continent, now i cant. its a waste of my time joining a game and quitting 3 minutes in when i realise i would have over 240ms if i was proven worthy enough to know my own ping by iw

SitRepPro

This is why I liked having local matchmaking.  For me it seems I get more UK based players here so far than the same time last year (roughly) with BO2.  I still get the occasional rubber banding lobbies but that's because often people are using shared connections, or lines not ideal for gaming so I suffer.  This tends to increase more during the weekends so that's why I believe shared connections aren't helping.

As for lesser connections getting an advantage, I am going to try and see if it's true or not with my phone line as my fibre optic line has somehow gone down.  Unfortunately it's not going to be accurate because I can't compare the two simultaneously.  I did feel being behind on some matches on my fibre optic line, backed out and forced a host migration but it may happen just as much with my phone line connection.

deamonomic

hottoddler wrote:

I believe they are tired of the "lag comp" complaints that spring up EVERY year. It has been said about every call of duty and in fact, has been said about most video games. Players from halo blame lag comp, players from gears, players from battlefield and jsut about every other FPS out there.

Since the days of Halo 2 I have been hearing the excuse "you only won because you were host" or "you only won because you have a 4 bar or 3 bar". People focus more on what the connections are and not enough on the game and what they should be doing to win.

belly120

lol thats very true but i know when i'm running host pro and utterly destroying people, i also know when someone is host pro'ing me.  some people are better some worse but lag is very noticeable in the COD series.

slight lag doesn't cause me to get angry and rage quit.

spawn die spawn die spawn die spawn die and spawn die or 15 hit markers deep on my foe and then ping i'm dead does that and wanted pro.  thats when you run round a corner and then die from the tracer fire that is hitting the empty air behind you from a guy who can no longer see you.

the proof that lag cripples these games for many is so massively wide spread that it hurst my very soul when people try to deny its a factor.

when an AR like the AK has a time to kill of 0.6 seconds and you have a 50ms ping to host.   LAG MATTERS A LOT

Audiophile

Play Hardcore.....problem solved. I was getting destroyed in Core matches and, since moving to Hardcore (I play Domination almost exclusively) my K/D has increased, I am getting more captures, and went from 2k-3k experience per match to 7k - 12k. Just my thought.......

phxs72

You realize that 50 ms is 0.05 seconds.  So without any lag comp (and we all know that it is in every online game) at most you would be at a 0.05 second disadvantage in a head to head simultaneous gunfight.  Sure it makes the slightest of differences but a much bigger difference is felt by simply not trying to get in head to head gunfights.  If you get your first bullet landed before your foe knows that you are there that 0.05 second delay on your end isn't going to save him.  The TTK is slightly more than 10 times the delay with no comp.

thebiindsniper

My guess why the pings/bars were never shown was done in order to envelope the players with the illusion that dedicated servers are taking care of them, thus the bars no longer were needed.

I also think they were removed so that players could stop bashing other people for having bad internet.  When the games start lagging and you notice everyone is red/yellow barring except for that ONE guy (who's the host), that's when the hate begins.  In addition, it was much easier to identify who had host, thus caused players to hold that power like a light switch.  If things didn't go their way or they wanted to be a jerk, click!

Don't quote me on this.  These are simple opinions.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

nicedrewishfela

Because there are very few who actually understand how they work, and far more who put too much stock in them.

Mr_Denmeade

I like having no pings, because now i wont have to consistently press the back button in every game just to notify if i have 3-4 bars or not.

hottoddler

people who live in high pop areas wont understand this issue. its debilitating. to simply say "you dont understand latency" isnt much of an argument in favour of not showing pings.

i understand when my bars were green i had a lag free experience, when it was red it was horrid. its that simple, to claim otherwise is plainly wrong.

if they didnt do it as some kind of cover to hide the fact there are no dedis or very few of them then why?

nicedrewishfela

So.. you need red or green bars to tell you your connection is bad?

hottoddler

well how else am i going to know? sit in a lobby, start a game, play for several minutes and THEN realise the game is hosted on the other side of the world? not to mention taking the loss for quitting an unplayable lobby.

or show my my damn ping in the lobby?

which is easier son?

nuttin2say

The problem is that if actual lag is happening, it should be blatantly obvious. There should be no, "It feels like there might maybe not really sure it ain't lag" thoughts going through your mind. If actual lag is happening, the screen should be skipping, stuttering, rubber banding. Something like that. This stuff about "Well, but I know I was on target invariably tends to come back as ... actually, you were not on target. It could be the result of controller settings (as it was for me for a few weeks in BO2). It could be that you are playing when you are under stress from other things going on in your life. It could be you're playing when you are tired and probably should not be playing. A lot of guys don't think those things affect what they see or how they play, but they can be really huge factors.

nicedrewishfela

Son?

Pretty sure anyone who has played the game can tell pretty much immediately if there is a true connection issue in the lobby they are in.

Or were you one of the people who got into a lobby... wasn't playing well, looked at the scoreboard, saw the one guy with a red bar, and then instantly accused that guy of being the reason you are playing so horribly?

99% of the time the ping bars only stated the obvious.

maccabi

hottoddler wrote:

well how else am i going to know? sit in a lobby, start a game, play for several minutes and THEN realise the game is hosted on the other side of the world? not to mention taking the loss for quitting an unplayable lobby.

or show my my damn ping in the lobby?

which is easier son?

breaking down your scenario a bit here

you never knew what the bars were until the match started ..at which point leaving would've given you a loss anyways

when the match started the bars were not at all accurate , same way as you could be in a really bad session where everyone had 2-3 bars then at the end of the round everyone would show 4 bars.

Having bars or not having bars in either scenerio you would start a game and either play or quit depending on how YOU thought the game was playing., and the lack of bars has def imho cut down on the number of people quiting games due to the amount of people who seem to think 3 bars was an advantage and would quit lobbies if they got killed by someone with  3 bars

would having bars mean you wouldnt get placed in a session the "other side of the world" nope thats matchmaking

FishyDizzle

I know all I need to know by my first kill of the game

hottoddler

ok for arguments sake i am crap and i am blaming lag, i still dont see why we cant see our pings? why are they hidden?

starbuckfrack

Perhaps now the game has dedicated servers. Perhaps it was causing connection issues like for example the possible reason they removed theater.

If you want an answer for REALLY why they got rid of it you might want to try PMing a dev because all you get here is assumptions. This is a public forum, not a developers inbox.

There are some really good answers in here why their shouldnt be so why cant you just take those ?

Izjar11

hottoddler wrote:

ok for arguments sake i am crap and i am blaming lag, i still dont see why we cant see our pings? why are they hidden?

they aren't "hidden" the bars (which does not represent your ping) are not longer there. What does it matter anyways anymore? Seriously they are gone, period. You know your lagging based on how the game is playing, no matter if they are there or not.

hottoddler

yes and at that point i am faced with two options: play to the end of an unplayable game or quit and lose my streak and take a loss. why is it such a bad thing to want to know before a game starts if i am going to have a ping of over 250 because i am in a lobby on another continent?

i am baffled by the amount of people acting indignant because i just want to know my own ping in a video game. you would think i am being offensive the way people are reacting.

why is it i can see my ping in %99.9 of online games and not this one? people in this forum are lunatics.

starbuckfrack

99.9 percent of online games really ?

GTA doesnt have a pingbar indicator, Neither do any of the battlefeild games, I think MW3 and some old the games like MW2 and before didnt have a ping indicator. Those are just ones off the top of my head.

You think were are but lickers because we are trying to answer your question for you ? If you want we can stop helping you then you wont have any answers at all, and you still wont have ping bars in the game.

deamonomic

hottoddler wrote:

yes and at that point i am faced with two options: play to the end of an unplayable game or quit and lose my streak and take a loss. why is it such a bad thing to want to know before a game starts if i am going to have a ping of over 250 because i am in a lobby on another continent?

i am baffled by the amount of people acting indignant because i just want to know my own ping in a video game. you would think i am being offensive the way people are reacting.

why is it i can see my ping in %99.9 of online games and not this one? people in this forum are lunatics.

how are you going to know your ping before a game starts? answer your not, even if they brought back the bars you still would not. I have seen games where everyone in the lobby was at 1 bar until the countdown timer finished then everyone went to 4. You join a game and quit your going to get a loss and there was never a way to check before the start of a game.

nuttin2say

It's not about be being a butt licker. It's about applying dirty, unlikeable facts of life to your gaming experience. Namely, that sh*t happens. The other aspect of life that sucks is that, well, I'm just not the best there is at everything there is to do. That in mind, what can I do to makes things for myself just a hair-bit better?

I can stop worrying about the sh*t I can't change and start focusing on the sh&t I do control.

hottoddler

is it so unreasonable to want to know your own ping in an online game?

TourettesGuy03

TBH, your view of others ping doesn't matter until they sort out the lag compensator. As it stands right now, you're better off with a slower connection. I doubt they'll sort that one out though.

PlagueMaggot

I know it drives me crazy, really. One of the reasons I play more squats instead of multilayer o.O'

Bielsalmighty

Because of people f'ing with their connections due to leaping to wrong conclusions about the nature of Lag Compensation.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the community (or certain parts of it *glares at youtube*) will be the downfall of this series