23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 9:57 AM by smokyking1987 RSS

Input on possible solutions to quickscoping

THExVeng3anc3

This is a thread on how to fix quickscoping, not if/if not quickscoping is OP/easy/dumb/good. 

Here is my possible solution.:

1. Keep the ADS time the same as current.

2. Keep the ADS animation the same as current.

3. Keep the accuracy of snipers same as current, such that when the cross-hairs center, the accuracy is the maximum accuracy of the weapon.

4. Have no auto aim until 0.20 seconds after fully aimed.

The reason: The most popular and easiest way to quickscope is dragscoping.  That is when the sniper aims, and drags his sights across the target, shooting during the drag.  The auto-aim slows the cross-hairs of the gun, making the shot much more likely to hit.  Having no auto-aim for the first fraction of a second will make it so that dragscoping doesn't "cheat" the auto aim system.  This will make it so that very skilled snipers can still pop-shot people, and montage makers can still do their thing.  This will make it so un-skilled snipers realize how difficult it is to quickscope, and will do "mobility sniping" (not camping, but moving around to cover their teammates).

Hopefully, this will also make it so that people realize that snipers have a lot of disadvantages to them, and people will stop complaining about it.  I have seen no real issues with CoD Ghosts quickscoping at all, because so few people snipe (besides on Stonehaven).  I rarely get killed by snipers, and when I do, I just think to myself "Dang, that guy must be a pretty good quickscoper, or he's hardscoping like he should be."

Please do not just start an argument on this thread.  Input your ideas, support your ideas with facts, statistics, or likely outcomes, and keep it educated.  I don't want any haters who just say "well that's stupid."

• Re: Input on possible solutions to quickscoping
    iivrruummii

People will still complain about quickscoping no matter what they do to the snipers.  If it isn't quickscoping it is some other thing this bad kids will cry about because they think that they should never be killed by anything.

Firesens

So when someone complains about something that is obviously imbalanced they are automatically bad... what logic is that?

A728

When this patch comes out a lot of Snipers are going to change their playstyles. Instead of playing aggressively with Quickdraw and an USR, they might play more passively (camp) and use a Thermal L115 with IEDs around them. I foresee that people will begin to complain about the latter type of Sniper when this nerf comes. In fact, they already complain about "hardscoping and "thermal noobs".

The point I'm trying to make is that with sniper rifles being a OHK weapon, people will always complain about them no matter how people play with them. Whenever I quickscope a person they rage. Whenever I "hardscope" I get called a camper. Sniper rifles take a lot more skill than regular weapons. If they are so easy to use and "obviously imbalanced" then why do most people go negative when they try to snipe? Why do competitive players use guns like the Remington R5, the MTAR-X, the Vector CRB, and other SMGs and ARs instead of using sniper rifles? Why hasn't MLG banned these "obviously imbalanced" weapons yet?

I eagerly await your reply.

TG-ThoMz

Players who QS enjoy the challenge- your idea only makes it slightly more challenging (note: I QS'd in BO2 and never used AA at all).

My main reason why it should be changed is because Quick-scoping itself is a game inside of the game. Players try to get clips and will die endless times just to be satisfied by that one great shot(s). I've watched so many streams and videos (montages) of players that care far more about that clip than the match itself. And why wouldn't they? It has a huge following. So instead of making minor tweaks, 'the game of QS'ing' needs to be its own game (or mode) and otherwise removed from standard matches. This way the players out there making ($) off their vids can still do so just not at the expense of obj players.

With that said, we can all think of tons of ways the "quick-scope" can easily be adjusted to prevent further abuse- it just depends on whether or not IW wishes to do so.

iivrruummii

TG-ThoMz wrote:

This way the players out there making ($) off their vids can still do so just not at the expense of obj players.

With that said, we can all think of tons of ways the "quick-scope" can easily be adjusted to prevent further abuse- it just depends on whether or not IW wishes to do so.

Who cares if they are making money off their videos?  They enjoy it.  You should take a couple of pages out of their books if you are having so many problems dealing with a different type of player.

Quickscoping is nowhere near being abused.  It is just a style to play.  People complain about nearly ever gameplay style, because people cannot accept dying...period.

SitRepPro

If people aren't playing the objective in objective game modes you have IW to thank for that.  3arc invented the scorestreak system to force objective play and IW bottled it.

captain_howdy69

The only real solution is to make a snipers only playlist and remove all sniper rifles from all other playlists. Lets see how much fun the quick-scopers have when quick-scopers and campers with infra-red *****-scopes are all that's in their game.

theisduncan

I just put a black dot on my tv

NoLifeKing32

I would rather they increase the ADS time across the board and increase flinch drastically across the board. The USR also needs more of a damage penalty with a silencer, since the current penalty is negligible.

THExVeng3anc3

Because I never stated this in my original post, I snipe most of the time on Ghosts.  My preferred weapon is the USR, and my KD is over 1.6.  I was hoping that if IW makes any changes, they would tell everyone that snipers are being patched, so stop complaining about them on our forums.  I do get annoyed by people who camp in great numbers with thermal L115s.  I played with some of those people about an hour ago.  However, I came up behind them, looked at the ground for IEDs, and killed all 4 of them.

The good part about being only able to lean while aimed is that camping snipers can't see very much.  That's probably the balancing factor for sniping and leaning.

nicedrewishfela

Is there a solution to Spam posts about Quickscoping?

Enough already.

SitRepPro

Decrease the movement speed with the rifle in the hand and increase the sprint out times will clamp down on quickscopers more than real snipers since real snipers aren't going to moving around too much when they have the rifle in their hand, and the pistols provide a speed boost now.  Other suggestions will affect real snipers and, if you reduce the possibilities of OHKs, you're going to slow the game down even more.  On maps like Siege and Stonehaven involving 6 v 6, this is asking for the TDM winning score to be reduced down to 40 or something.

Brutalkillshots

Easy solution is to get better at the game if your constantly getting owed by snipers then you obviously suck and are careless and have no map knowledge .

A sniper is at a disadvantage by default they are the hardest class of weapon to use and have a much higher learning curve than any other weapon . Regular snipers snipe because its a challenge to do well plain and simple .Don't think anyone in COD has ever thought to themselves in a losing game using an AR and thought I'll switch to my sniper so I can claw my way back !

half-megatron

1. no

2. no

3. no

4. no

xXMJIOLNIRXx

Sniper rifle's should have a moderate to heavy sway and can be reduced by using a Bi-pod (no sway at all) and/or Ballistics CPU (reduced weapon sway), (These two attachments cannot be paired up). The Ballistics CPU would not be as effective in Black Ops 2, making it a little more difficult for Snipers to quickscope. If Quickscopers don't like not being able to kill at close range with a sniper, then they should have brought a pistol.

zingaa

I never once have quickscoped, but I don't see a problem with it nor do I really care, I adapt.

My solution=

1) Flash
    2) Pull trigger

bendotcom

Here we go again.

Anyone who complains about Quickscoping is basically saying "I don't like being outplayed by people who are using guns that require actual aiming, even though SMGs can out gun snipers at long range" Try and deny it all you want but that is the basicly what these complaints come down to.

OP what you stated is how snipers act now. . . So let me put it this way for you, people will always snipe on CoD, they can patch whatever they like and we will still do it. Hell they tried to stop us in BO1 but failed and do you know the reason why? CAUSE WE LIKE TO SNIPE, we don't do it cause it's easy/OP/Cheat of whatever all you degenerates like to think, we do it cause we are good enough players to rip through teams of people whilst using a heavily disadvantaged gun.

What I find most funny about people who complain about snipers it that these are the guys throwing IED's everywhere and using Auto guns that have 0 recoil, pretty much 2HK's. . . every game I get killed long range by guys with SMG's every game I use a sniper I get consistently killed by people using guns where I should have the range advantage before I can even pull up the scope.

Can someone please give me a logical explanation, cause I really cant understand why people think it's fine to have insta-kill full auto guns that can quite happily kill at any range but when it comes to snipers NOOOOOOOO they require a whole different set of rules and regulations.

Why does the chrome lined induce almost double the idle sway, but the muzzle brake has no negative effects?

Why does using a thermal/acog on an auto gun induce no sway but increases the accuracy, yet the same sight on a sniper has idlesway?

Why is it that a ballistic vest takes 3 shots with a sniper to kill (2 shots with AP) which means it takes at least 2-3 seconds to kill them, yet with any other gun it takes a couple more shots which is an added .2-.4 second kill time?

Why is it that snipers have no cross-hair yet all other guns do?

Why do full auto guns get aim assist that locks onto enemies and helps track them, yet a sniper gets no aim assist?

Why is it that the community thinks it is fine that any auto gun can compete at any range, but when it comes to a sniper it is suddenly a game breaking cheat?

Why is it fine that full auto guns can switch sights, while ADS'd and firing without any accuracy penalties and the ripper can change from an MTAR to an AK-12 at the press of a button with no accuracy/firing penalties. Yet snipers have to have a penalty for almost any movement?

Why is it fair that a sniper can get hitmarkers causing an extra second TTK, yet any SMG, AR or LMG can quite happily 2 shot kill up to med range no matter where they hit the guy?

I don't get the logic behind people complaining about snipers? It's completely pointless and un-fair and what's worse is that the idiots at IW actually appease these complainers.

IMO all auto's should take an extra shot to kill and snipers should have a .1-.2 second increase in cocking speed or ADS speed and that would actually put all the weapons more in line.

People like to play with different play styles, that is how CoD has grown, the Devs should know this and respect it and try to make a game that is balanced for all parties whether you snipe, camp, rush, defend, tube, knife or whatever. Otherwise they may as well just make the next Cod have one map that is just flat and objectless, include one gun, make everyone have the same class just so all the complainers can feel like the have a perfectly level playing field. But even with a game that would rely solely on player skill, the complainers would still feel something was OP. Tbh ghosts feels like that's the direction the devs want to take cod, and my god it is boring as hell.

Medrano911

I hate it when people complain about snipers, I hardscope and Quickscope, I'm ok with some guy Quickscoping me and I die but I'm not okay with those snipers who camp in some far off corner of a map with thermal sights on and surrounded by IED's.

AntiGov

I have a far easier solution, remove all non bolt action snipers, make it so you start with an iron sight, and progressively reward players with scopes after so many kills. After all challenges are complete the player is then rewarded with a variable zoom scope which allows access to 3 zoom levels, each of which has a progressively worse sway when you first ADS. The greater the zoom the greater the sway when you first ADS.

The iron sight bolt action would function as the KAR98 did in previous titles, 1sk from the chest up and 2sk for abdomen, legs and arms.

I also think that scopes on any weapon should have sway, even thermals. That would give an ADS advantage to anyone using ironsights as it should.

bendotcom

I would love that idea, just like in WAW where all the bolt actions were Iron sights that had scope unlocks apart from the springfield I believe. Used to love running around with the Iron Sight bolt actions, for the same reason I love sniping, limiting your self to 1 shot to get the kill is tough but feels so rewarding when you pull it off.

I hate all the sniper hate and constant nerfs they get. If all the people who complain about sniping put on a class with just a bolt action sniper (no secondary, no tactical/leathal) and played as aggressive as they do with an SMG/AR for a week or so people would soon realise how much BS snipers get and that it isn't quite as easy as they seem to think.

I don't really think a lot of people realise why people enjoy sniping. The majority of players will use the most OP weapons, usually the weapons of choice for competitive players. In BO2 it was the MSMC, M8 and AN-94 in ghosts its the MTAR-X, Honey badger, AK-12 and competitive players use these weapons because they are the most effective weapons. The sniping community on the other hand is a community that looks at challenging themselves, we don't use snipers because they have a particular advantage, we use them because the limitations they have make them un-forgiving in aggressive play and managing to do well with them shows a players consistency. If I run round with an MTAR at close range I need to land 2 shots to kill them, if I miss the first 2 shots I still have a full mag to put into them. If I run round with a sniper I have to land 1 shot to kill them but If I miss that shot or get a hit-marker, unless my opponent is really bad I am dead. With the addition of having hip-fire spread that even at point-blank range is a lucky kill, and having an ADS time slow enough that any gun meant for closer ranges has time to kill the sniper. Aggressive sniping is about trying to handi-cap yourself, if people want to play this way I don't see what the problem is. If a player is bad at it they are easy kills, if a player is good at it, well, sniper or not that person is going to beat you.

People want nerfs to snipers, but what they are really asking for is for the Devs to nerf the players. Twist it how you like but this is what it comes down to.

And FYI, I have used snipers ALOT!! the same as I have used reg guns ALOT!! When I make an argument I try not to be biased, I like sniping and I obviously want to be able to do it but in terms of balance I look at the overall picture. I have no care for stats and at that they aren't bad so I don't need to worry, I don't complain because I feel butthurt because most of the time I win. The arguments I make are always based on what I see and experience as a player, I try to see every side to the story and construct my opinions around what I think would make all player bases happy and generally improve the game, not what would make me personally happy. I would appreciate it if the community looked at things the same way.

QS in the beginning before the nerfs really were more of an issue, now a days I havent seem much QS.. I have seen regular sniping, but i cant get mad if im running down long range and i get sniped.. in fact yesterday i just got my ghillie suit and been sniping.. its make it a bit more fun

socratesxxx

Quickscoping on Ghost's is almost non-existent when compared to BO2. In BO2 you had 3 or 4 players per match doing it so I'm just happy they reduced it by this much.

AlteredVista

The only sniper that bothers me is the USR. I'm pretty sure it has a faster ADS than the rest so I would think that's the problem. The other snipers don't bother me and seem balanced.

Nerf the USR's ADS time and I would say they got it perfect.

phantom139

In all honesty, it just seems like IW doesn't even care about how many people are complaining about a clearly imbalanced factor in their game.

If you want to "fix" the problem, you have to remove it entirely, and it's extremely simply to do so. No firing while zooming in, or until completely zoomed in for 0.2 seconds or more. If people want to "keep" their original playstyle, they can simply apply this to core only and leave HC and other untouched to this change, that way the QS people are still happy, and people who just want to play the game properly can be happy too.

It would be nice if the devs would at least try to address this problem in a way to make everyone happy, but I just don't see them doing so.

smokyking1987

increase the accuracy of snipers will help because if you get killed by a Q.S the aim is never on you it is always if off target.

i use snipers and i have see with my own eyes that you can hard aim get you shot on target but no hit detection and if i Q.S sum one the target will be off target but i kill the player if the hard aim don't work rite and we wont gold guns then all you players that hate Q.S will have to get over it till they fix it