26 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 12:59 PM by nicedrewishfela RSS

The Re-evaluation of Footsteps

thebiindsniper

I'll keep this short and sweet.  IMO, the overall sound of the footsteps in multiplayer are way too loud, which makes dead silence not actually dead silent, and the amplify perk becomes too powerful.

Fixes:

1. Overall sound of normal footsteps are significantly reduced.

2. Dead Silence makes all footsteps completely silent, except when making a harsh landing (ie. falling from a certain height).

3. Amplify only functions at closer distances.  It also cannot detect dead silence users.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

• Re: The Re-evaluation of Footsteps
    half-megatron

This needs to be done ASAP!!!!!!

HeyYoRocksNBlows

I shouldn't be penalized for not having a high tech mic

Footsteps should be heard by everyone or nobody.

thebiindsniper

My idea isn't there to punish players with better headsets.  My idea is there to save the pace of the game itself.

Think about it; With the way footsteps are as of now, it leads people to take advantage of the incoming audio to the point where enemy players begin to notice and start to crouch walk or camp out the rest of the match.  This is even worse in search and destroy/rescue.  With my idea in place, players will no longer fear from being detected 5 miles away by footsteps alone.

If I had to choose between everybody hearing all footsteps or everybody not hearing anything, I would choose for everybody to not be able to hear any footsteps at all.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

TheDarkOne123

I have to agree with this post instead of favoring patience they should favor movement to get the action going. I just got done playing Battlefield 4 and even this game has more movement and the maps are bigger so I don't know what Call of Duty's excuse is all I know is it's getting old fast.

Guy8915

There are bigger problems and more overpowered perks than amplify. i have some 'high tec' headphones as someone called them but it doesnt slow me down, yes they are an advantage but not a massive one.

TheDarkOne123

Please I would love to hear these bigger problems. Enlighten everyone in these forums on what these bigger problems are. I am actually being serious I would really like to know what the other overpowered perks and bigger problems are.

Guy8915

So your telling me the biggest problem is people being able to hear your footsteps? what about Hacks, Glitches, Xp lobbies, Boosters, Quickscopers, Lag compensation and poor connection. Atm the matchmaking is a little unfair (not that im complaining, im mopping up with these xmas noobs)

thebiindsniper

Hacks, glitches, XP lobbies, quickscopers, boosters, and lag compensation are not constantly available in Ghosts.  Granted they are problems that can appear, but they are part of the minority compared to the loud footsteps, which everyone has the ability to hear, thus making it a lot more of a common issue.

Also, instead of mopping up "Christmas Noobs", why not teach them a few things?

~RUGGED SAVIOR

TheDarkOne123

No I am not telling you that footsteps are the problem with this game my problem is that Amplify is currently the only perk with no counter not to mention the people using it are slowing the game down to a stand still. The biggest problem of this game are the spawns they can turn a win into a loss in a matter of seconds because how bad they are, they are another reason why people don't wanna move. The spawns are either people spawning behind people or it's spawning people in front of people. I fail to see the problem with quickscopers like you guys keep saying they are the minority meaning they aren't a problem so you shouldn't be complaining. I agree with what you said on cheating but their numbers are thinning out as we speak. Christmas noobs can be annoying but I find other things more annoying.

HeyYoRocksNBlows

I shouldn't be at a disadvantage because I refuse to pay $$ for super duper headphones.

The mic/headset should be used to communicate to your team. Not for giving advantages

rainmaker6

Guy8915 wrote:

There are bigger problems and more overpowered perks than amplify. i have some 'high tec' headphones as someone called them but it doesnt slow me down, yes they are an advantage but not a massive one.

I disagree, they are a massive advantage. Since I bought my Astro A40 (never had a pair of headsets before), I have increased my K/D from 1.6 to 2.24 and it is still rising. My average kills per game has also increased from 13 to 16 and all of these are for TDM only. I haven't played any other modes.

Now I don't want to render my expensive headsets useless and this will always be a problem for players without headsets but I do think silent footsteps when walking vs players without amplify and low movement sounds when walking (can't be heard over your own normal gunfire or someone's gunfire next to you) vs players with amplify should be considered. When you are running I don't think you should ever be completely silent even with dead silence.  

BobbyMcGee

of all your senses, cod allows you to use two, sight and sound. its nobodies fault but your own if you refuse to get a decent headset.

thebiindsniper

First of all, I do own an expensive headset that allows me to hear footsteps quite easily (Turtle Beach XP500).  Second of all, headsets are not part of the topic. The issue with footsteps as they are now is how they impact the pace of the game itself based on how easily they can be heard.  I know its part of the game to use certain pieces of audio to your advantage, but the footsteps give too much of an advantage, regardless of whether or not you're using a headset.  People know this, which is why a lot of camping and crouch walking occurs, even if people are using dead silence.

Also, when i asked the mp designer about a possible fix to footsteps in general, he replied saying that the developers are actually looking into it.  I can assume there may be a possible fix in the near future.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

brsox

Amplify is way too powerful. I would really like to see it blocked from Search and Destroy. It ruins the game.

BU773TPROOF

Foot steps are fine, BO2 had almost no foot steps and the camping was just as bad. This game has come half way, In MW3 you could hear dead silence with Sitrep pro at 100% normal volume, Amplify doesn't hear dead silence at 100%.

So technically Deadsilence is over powered. Sound is a great part of the game, Surround sound head sets are cheap and have been available for a decade. There are no crzy advantages being had by anyone, especially since you can buy perks ahead of time now.

We all have to just adapt like we did when we went to BO2 with no foot steps no knife and lots of health.

r33k

all perks are free to be used by all players. it is what it is. dont like it, then dont play this game. BO2 is perfect is you dont like footsteps. play that one. amplify needs no nerf at all. if you are in the heat of battle, you will NOT hear a DS user. i dont want to hear the crying on this one. its true, you will NOT hear someone if there is any kind of gunfire,helicopter,whatever around you. i feel this issue is being blown way out of proportion by the anti amplifiers.

on the flip side, this is NOT ninja pro, ok guys?

you will make noise:

when you touch certain objects(barrels,fences,etc)

when you fall into water

when you jump off an object

when you mantle an object

the above things make you heard and amplify users WILL hear you.

also: you had BETTER use incog on your DS setup. if you dont, you WILL be called out by enemy teams. so what if they cant hear you, as soon as the field of view from a player scans an area(they dont even have to see you), you will be called out and the callouts are VERY descriptive.

did you know that your footsteps, when using dead silence, mimic those of the enemies team? that swooshing sound your own teammates make that allows you to know its a teammate and not an enemy. BUT, its even better, its a very subdued swoosh. any kind of noise AT ALL will drown it out COMPLETELY. you would have to be sitting in some camping spot at the edge of a map waiting for that one lone noob to run helplessly by in order to hear a DS user.

and lastly, when you come to an area of concern, crouch. its not hard, its been the preferred method of engagement since the birth of Christ in this game.

i use DS/AMP exclusively and i've never had someone turn a corner and just take me out because they heard me.

appledaniel

i totally agree, great suggestions!  also, if they kept amplify alone, then it needs to be a 4 point perk!! amplify is ruining the game play!, too many people use it, and they just sit in a corner and wait and listen.  It really needs to be changed, its really effecting the game play in a negative way.

phxs72

I can see where footsteps are easier to hear in SnD (or SnR) given that the action level is much less.  The thing that I have to wonder though is does not hearing footsteps make the game mode less skillful?  I'm not saying that being able to hear everyone all the time makes the amplify user skillful.  I get that it is a large advantage if your opponents don't know how to combat it.  I wouldn't particularly have an issue with DS being actually DS.  However, there is a certain amount of skill that is lost when footsteps become muted.  By that I mean that there is skill in knowing when to crouch walk (ADSing while walking very slowly works too) and when to use your footsteps to bait out your enemy.  One's ability to utilize these features to his advantage is the mark of a more seasoned player.  Much like shooting a couple of bullets at a point, knowing all along that your enemy is just around that corner.  You do this in the hopes that curiosity will get the better of them and they will poke their head out just long enough for you to drop them.  More often than not it works.

If I'm playing SnD, which I don't often but when I do, I assume that I'm going to be heard.  I use this to my advantage.  Sure I could do just as well without this advantage but it's in the game.  So I use it.  When I played SnD in BO2, the footsteps were so muted that I had to use other sounds (ie gunfire and explosives) to draw my enemies attention to where I wanted it to be.  So I guess I've just answered my own question.  Removing footstep sound doesn't necessarily make the game mode less skillful but it just means that you will have to rely on other tactics to achieve the same goal.  And if that's all the difference is then I suppose my new question would be then why does it matter if it's footsteps or gunfire that you use?  If anything footsteps conserves ammo and more importantly lethals.

nicedrewishfela

Something has to be done. Amplify is leading to lazy gameplay... and really impacting the pacing and balance of this game.

It makes me wonder... DS has always been in the game... and I don't really recall people complaining about it too much. You either "sound-whored" or you didn't. Everyone had footsteps (Some games with better directional sound than others)... and DS was the counter to Sound Whoring. Simple. Easy. DS had numerous counters without Amplify... and the ultimate ones being situational awareness and eyes. Those who relied too heavily on Audio alone would suffer at the hands of DS users. DS users who thought their Silence made them invisible suffered equally. Not sure at what point someone thought the Sit-Rep Pros or Amiplifies were a good idea.

Black Ops 2 had an interesting take on it... don't give ANYONE footsteps... unless you use Awareness. The problem was... it was Poorly done. Awareness was not all that useful, as the directional sound was atrocious anyways. DS was pretty much a completely wasted perk unless you just happened to run into someone using Awareness. And even then, it was a moot point.

This is only my opinion.. but I think BO 1 got it right, sound-wise. The directional sound was pretty on Point. Everyone had footsteps.The footsteps weren't overly loud but they were enough to make DS useful for rushers. More importantly, the sound cues were phenomenal. When I refer to sound cues, I mean things like equipment use and reload noises. Trained ears could get to a point where you knew exactly what type of gun was reloading, what equipment was being laid out, etc. Even more importantly, The Maps had Sound Cues Built In. If someone was running on a metal staircase, you'd hear that sound and knew(If you had good map knowledge), where the enemy was. Certain surfaces would crunch a certain way. Some surfaces were relatively quiet, others were noisy. I am not ashamed to say I put enough time into that game to know pretty much every sound in every map. I could do call outs based on sound in that game. It makes sound a useful tool, while at the same time making DS a useful perk. You didn't need an additional perk to hear better... everyone was on equal ground. Using the sound in that game was a skill, not a gift.

I think Amplify severely impacts the game play... FAR MORE than DS ever has. It promotes sitting. It promotes the worst forms of camping. It is a lazy perk. I don't think it is nearly as bad as SRP was in MW3, but I still feel it is done all wrong.

I like your ideas.. I think, as well, DS users should be silent unless mantling, falling down a significant difference. It would be cool if they had added more environmental sound... IE broken glass... to really force players to be more aware.

The Amplify perk, in my mind, should be radius based. Think of the Motion Sensors in previous games and how they showed up on the Mini-Map as a large circle covering a certain area. Footsteps should only be able to be heard in a 10 foot radius to the player. Amplify users, however, should have that doubled (their circle covers a larger area). I don't think it should counter DS, but if it absolutely has to... make it only discernible within a 5 foot radius. Would give Amplify users with quick reflexes the advantage, and still make DS useful.

It does worry me quite a bit that the sound quality in the games has diminished rather than improved. I still think the directional sound in WaW was the best in the series.....