42 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2014 3:11 PM by VECTORdude RSS

Ghosts Myth: Campers

nuttin2say

Granted, I've got just a little over 10 hours under my belt so far ... but I would really like to know what game the camper complainers are playing. Because I've done KC, TDM, and Domination and, frankly, I'm not seeing the massive amount of camping some people are claiming is out there.

While we're at it, where's all the quick scoping? I've seen more quick scopers than I have campers ... but there's not any more quick scopers in this game than there are in any COD.

So obviously we are playing two different games. I'm playing Call of Duty: Ghosts. What game are you guys playing? Because it ain't Ghosts.

• Re: Ghosts Myth: Campers
    jagster79

ive been in a few lobbies where most of the other team camps but it doesn't bother me i get lots of knife kills cause i sneak up on campers a lot i think those who complain have accuracy issues i take care of campers pretty easily besides its not really a change from any other call of duty people just seem to be more cranky about it because i guess they have been wanting them to change things so that camping is harder lol those who complain just need to work on their aim and their reaction time you probably don't notice it because it doesn't bother you

dylan-ohara

I've experienced camping multiple times but it doesn't really bother me easier. It usually happens when an enemy dies at a particular location and you kill him in that same location. There tends to be two or three of his dead bodies in the exact same spot.

LaDeDah

Finally!  Someone with some common sense!    "this friend I know" (lol) has a tendency to camp at times... I must admit that, as someone who does, I certainly prefer your attitude to those who complain all the time.  Someone knifes me, I sit back and say, well, I deserved that or d*mn they're good  or Eh, time to move anyway.  People like you make the game fun.  On the other hand, if someone sends me "Hate Mail," I think oh great, what a loser, get a life... Because someone who was that annoyed by my being here obviously has nothing better to do than send me these stupid messages.  Honestly, I just laugh.

VECTORdude

I once had a guy send me 7 messages because I had the entire Owens building locked down in freight. He even said "lol, you'll be good someday" or something like that. The funniest hate mail I got was from an entire enemy team all in one clan, after the game ended, I got 6 messages all saying "trash".

I mold my strategy to whatever map or gamemode I play, like in domination, I get half my camping kills off of people getting my flags. A bad camper relies on one spot the entire game and returns to it ASAP. A good camper changes the spot they sit in, and a master camper always has a backup plan. I kill bad campers all the time, usually the ones with terrible strategies and class setups.

Homie_Simpson

Whats funny is that they return back too the same spot - total madness if you ask me.

nuttin2say

You guys are right. What few campers there are keep going back to the same spot over and over and it is fun as all get out knifing them from behind.

admunday

The difficulty is that everyones definition around 'massive' is different.

I experience lag in about 1 game out of 20 and I've never considered it 'game-breaking'.  To me, this is an ok occurance, obviously I'd love for it never to be there but am not going to worry over that frequency.

For the next poster though, lag in 1 game out of 20 might be completely unacceptable ('massive' amounts) and post a thread slating the game.

Likewise, I've really not seen a lot of QSing, but there will be posters who, for them, 1 QS death is 1 too many and will post an annoyed message.  They will make it a big deal (as for them, it is) however for others, it will go by unnoticed.

The only way to truely know what a game is like is to try it for yourself.  Hope you carry on enjoying (assuming you are!)

dylan-ohara

I haven't seen QS as a big deal either. I'll admit when I got all the snipers gold I QSed a lot in CQB. It was so easy. Often times when my clan has about 12 guys online we'll go into a private match and QS FFA for fun. It really is fun. I know a lot of people are gonna disagree with me and bash on me for this, but since QS my accuracy has skyrocketed. My skills with the marksman rifles are better. QS taught me exactly where center screen is and how to pay attention to hen a weapon is fully ADS before firing. If you fire before full ADS then you've got to compensate for recoil. I often get called a  cheater or hacker and told I have an aimbot because %75 of the time I can be shot from behind and immediately turnaround and have my sights fall directly on the enemy and kill them. I became very comfortable with a 12 sensitivity while QS as well. My accuracy remains around %22 and that's after getting all SMGs gold. I average %25 or higher with ARs.

A majority of the people who complain about QS don't realize that the same guy who might have ended your killstreak from 5 ft. with a sniper could've just as easily been a guy with a shotgun or rapid-fire SMG. Sometimes you just get outplayed.

nuttin2say

Earlier I was in a lobby with a guy that was doing a lot of QS. I'm not the greatest at it and he was definitely better than me. It was annoying, I admit. But I still hung around for several matches to see what he was doing. He was using the VKS I think its called. So I unlocked it and, with an ACOG I guess it takes a lot of practice to do it well because the sway on that gun is atrocious. I'm going to try using that gun a little more and see how it works out. But that was a few matches out of over 100 ... and he was the only guy in the lobby doing it. Not what I would consider "massive" amounts of QS.

nicedrewishfela

It isn't a myth... there are a Ton of Campers in this game and the game gives them plenty of tools to do so.

But what a lot of the Complainers don't get.... is that it has never been easier to hunt down and kill the campers. Apparently.. adapting is hard.

FNButterBullets

There's so much complaint because people think that snipers and defenders are campers. It's one thing to sit in a corner in TDM and wait for someone to walk by and another to watch the bomb you just planted, or to recognize that at least somebody needs to watch the goal in Blitz.

Camper spots become predictable and it's not that hard to take them out.

There's no such thing as eliminating camping. It's a strategy and has been in FPS before COD and will be in FPS after COD.

JSlayer211

There will always be people shouting "CAMPER!" as it's their favorite scapegoat from being killed. Countless times I have maneuvered through a map and had to pause and let someone pass so I can shoot them in the back because either I heard them coming or they were revealed on the minimap and I knew they were moving in a particular direction. So when the choice is to jump in front of someone and risk your streak to prove you aren't a camper for a "fair" gunfight or just pause a second and shoot them in the back, I pick the pause. Very seldom do campers get the best of me on a routine basis as I am fairly keen on checking corners when I enter an area and if I encounter a camper in a particular area, I just don't go back lol (unless it's an area where the objective is located). I have had people call me a camper if I stop in a corner and let my health regen after a close gun fight, or duck to the side to reload a weapon.

riksterinto

There seem to be less campers since the influx of x-mas noobs.  Either that or people are feeling more comfortable now that they have had the game a while therefore moving around more.

ShocKuMzzz

I've experienced a lot more camping than I have quickscoping. Partially because I am a sniper, and quickscoping is SIGNIFICANTLY harder in Ghosts than any other cod.

zrxd

With regards to QS'ing it depends what time of day you're playing. Late afternoon/early evening is when the kids are on and they love to QS.

rankismet

nuttin2say wrote:

Granted, I've got just a little over 10 hours under my belt so far ... but I would really like to know what game the camper complainers are playing. Because I've done KC, TDM, and Domination and, frankly, I'm not seeing the massive amount of camping some people are claiming is out there.

While we're at it, where's all the quick scoping? I've seen more quick scopers than I have campers ... but there's not any more quick scopers in this game than there are in any COD.

So obviously we are playing two different games. I'm playing Call of Duty: Ghosts. What game are you guys playing? Because it ain't Ghosts.

TDM (both HC and Core) is camp heaven.

... but...

... I haven't seen more camping in Ghosts than any other title.

otisman666

rankismet wrote:

... but...

I played some TDM over the past few days to boost the ol' k/d with some Christmas Noob kills.  I will tell you what, I was probably the worst offender of the "camping" thing.  Anyone who plays with me knows that Otis can't sit still for more then 20 seconds, but honestly that is all it would take to get at least two kills and then move on to another spot.

Point being, I have been seeing a lot more movement in this game.

rankismet

otisman666 wrote:

rankismet wrote:

... but...

I played some TDM over the past few days to boost the ol' k/d with some Christmas Noob kills.  I will tell you what, I was probably the worst offender of the "camping" thing.  Anyone who plays with me knows that Otis can't sit still for more then 20 seconds, but honestly that is all it would take to get at least two kills and then move on to another spot.

Point being, I have been seeing a lot more movement in this game.

I set up a tent and polish my Coleman lifetime achievement award on certain maps myself.

My experience is there is a lot more outright camping in Core modes vs. HC.

avengedyesterday

rankismet wrote:

nuttin2say wrote:

... but...

As is KC sadly.

Sadly it seems the 'more experienced players' are the ones who really dont like to move... at all. Which is fine and all but I cannot count how many times a match has ended from time limit. I cannot say that much about any other title.

KTPhoenix

You want to know where the campers are? Play the HC playlist. You will find more than you care to in there.

Brutalkillshots

Being a FFA player I can tell you this game is infested with campers !! Every bloody game ! In all my years playing COD I've only came across ONE game where every single player was sitting in a corner back in MW3 lol it was god dam pathetic !

Ghosts I've came across multiple games ???  quite sad really.... But campers are easy to deal with as they suck at the game or else they wouldn't be sitting in a corner PMSL and I luv messing with them till they rage quit Also this game has a massive skill gap that I've never seen in COD before people going terribly negative every game lol surpose its down to the terrible maps ??

nuttin2say

Brutalkillshots wrote:

and I luv messing with them till they rage quit Also this game has a massive skill gap that I've never seen in COD before people going terribly negative every game lol surpose its down to the terrible maps ??

Now that you mention it, I'd have to agree. In the past, it took me several 1000 kills to start seeing my KD begin to rise. I started off lower than usual, but now it is going up steadily. I haven't seen a lot of matches with multiple players have 20+ kills, either (TDM) and I'm going to say I've seen a match with someone scoring over 30 kills, but I don't actually recall seeing one.

I think you're on to something, Brutal. There seems to be a greater learning curve in Ghosts.

ShocKuMzzz

I hate to say it but it's true. In BO2, I would string together 30 kill games all the time. In Ghosts, I've only had a handful 30 kill games. (TDM, of course)

My friends in real life are being turned away from the game because they go negative every game

Brutalkillshots

Think my best is 46 in TDM   Even got an email lol your in the top 1% you deserve a "Slow clap" lol thought that was a bit of a piss take loool .

i regularly have 30+ kills when playing TDM not often the best KD as I play very aggressively I like getting behind them and mowing them all down

nuttin2say

At first I was struggling to bust 20 kills. K/D has been fine but lots of kills was a struggle. As I get more comfortable, though, the 20 kills threshold is becoming easier and easier. I had a 24 - 1 match yesterday and died because ... I turned and fell off the edge of a map. I also had a 31 - something match. First one in Ghosts. I hit 30+ kills in MW3 (I hit 40+ there a lot in TDM) and BO2 regularly ... but it was after a month or so of play. For me to be doing as well as I am so early - I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad sign. I always run a + WLR, as well, but I'm at 57% after only 14 hours.

I contribute the performance to a few big differences between this COD and previous CODs. First, there is incredibly little lag in this title. The only lag I experience is when people are leaving the lobby. Even then, this lag is different. It is easier than ever to play through the lag. Huge difference over past titles. Second, I'm not wasting time on dealing with opponent streak rewards. In BO2, you had to deal with opposing streak rewards. You had to. Most of the time I could avoid them and continue the fight, but the problem this created was that most teammates don't know how to avoid streak rewards. So you had to deal with them in BO2 or the match was lost. In other CODs I could ignore opposing streak rewards a lot more, but there were times where I had to stop to deal with them. In Ghosts? Meh. The streak rewards aren't taking me down and they are causing so few deaths to teammates that it isn't worth it to bother with them. That keeps the game at a gun vs gun battle.

A third factor is somewhat perplexing. It really feels that players seem to be very confused on these maps. They don't know what direction they want to go. I don't get that at all. People are waaaaay too cautious. I've never seen anything like this in a Call of Duty. Battlefield doesn't even have this problem and those maps are massively huge. Some people claim there are too many flanking routes, but I'm not buying that. Battlefield maps are much more open. You can be flanked from almost an infinite number of routes on their maps. Yet, people are confident about their decisions, in that game, and what direction they want to go. In Ghosts, there's a lot more flanking routes, true. But there are not an infinite number of routes. It seems like it should be easier to decide where you want to go in Ghosts than in BF.

Continuing on the phenomenon of player confusion, I think a lot of the "camper" complaints are mislabeled. I don't think many people are camping at all. In fact, I've had a number of other players tell me - unsolicited - that they feel this is the least campy COD ever. I think what is happening is you've got players not sure what they want to do so they kind of stand there trying to make up their mind, perhaps ADSing in hopes of finding a target to pursue, when an opponent rounds the corner. The confused player thus scores the lucky kill and the unlucky victim sees it as the guy was camping.

I so wish I had a decent capture device or pvr because I can play almost any match and show exactly what I'm talking about. I'm thinking of a couple of matches on Warhawk where this phenomenon really stands out. Go to either end of the map and you'll see it. There's players that round a corner or exit a building onto the main, middle road and they immediately ADS toward the other end of the road. Heck, you can see this happening anywhere on Warhawk. In so doing, they leave themselves wide open to a flank attack. And it really looks like they are camping. But watch them for a short while before killing them and you'll see that they will eventually, if not killed, begin to travel. Heck, I've seen it on Whiteout, too. Every map. But on those two it really stands out.

I just can't put my finger on why it is happening. Maybe the graphics are overwhelming? I don't know.

But less lag, less streak reward influence, and player confusion are making this a great Call of Duty experience.

VECTORdude

I just can't put my finger on why it is happening. Maybe the graphics are overwhelming? I don't know.

But less lag, less streak reward influence, and player confusion are making this a great Call of Duty experience.

1. The influx of campers is because the way IW designs the guns. Most guns have a quick ttk and high damage, which create more of a danger for run n' gun players. As for the campers, we just sit back and reap the kills off of defenseless tryhards. Take a map like Octane, which I like to call the sharktank because all the main buildings have high viewpoints over high traffic areas AKA the sharktank. The sharks in that sharktank are the aggressive tryhards and the occasional head-glitchers, which are almost always exposed to the building viewpoints.

2. I agree with every statement in that sentence. I'm really think the killstreaks have been a little easier to live with, except when I get my Loki and obliterate the helpless enemy team.

NoLifeKing32

There are a lot of campers but they are hardly a problem. The game has been out for almost two months now, you know the maps, you know the firing zones, you know all of the best camping spots, and you know how to deal with them. Sure every now and then somebody finds a nice new place to hide on Chasm or Siege and you might die a few times trying to get them out of there, but its just as easy to avoid said spot if its giving you trouble, especially on Chasm.

TheDarkOne123

I for one would really like to see the game these players are playing as well. I have yet to see a camper or quickscoper dominating a lobby because I have to yet to see either happening. The only thing campers do is slow down the game they aren't invincible though like everyone else is suggesting as for quickscopers in my opinion all other forms of sniping are still more deadlier then quickscoping. When a camper is dominating a lobby like everyone is suggesting I never get killed by them let alone see them so what's everyone else's excuse? Either avoid them or out smart them don't keep running where they are at unless you know they are distracted or another team mate is heading in their direction. Here's what I do to campers I bore them to death or I annoy them with explosives. As for quickscoping when lag isn't present drop shot them or strafe left to right it's so easy to do even a noob can do it.

nuttin2say

@ DarkOne ... Oh, I am sooo loving hardscoping in this game. I've done well hardscoping in every COD, but in Ghosts? On the maps I deem conducive to sniping, I'm easily hitting 10 kills and less than 5 deaths. In fact, I've had several 10+ kills and 0 or 1 deaths.

@ NoLifeKing ... I think some of what is being called camping is simply a matter of players having too many options. I've seen a LOT of players unable to make up their minds as to what direction they want to go. They turn one direction stand there, then turn and run a few feet the other direction and stand there for a moment. They will do this several times. In a game we are quick to call that "camping," but outside of camping, if you saw someone doing that you'd say they look confused. I think that applies here - Many players are simply unable to decide what they want to do.

silenttek

It's interesting that the style of play some people engage in since they decide to snipe is referred to as camping. Some of us prefer to work the map with a sniper rifle and hit multiple targets because believe it or not there is a heightened sense of accomplishment when a player is shot, gets upset and can't figure out where he was hit ( unlike in core with a kill cam). I, for one, like this game because it allows me the freedom to play in a position to support my squad. Everyone can't be a Rambo and run across the battlefield dodging round after round fired at them. We have rabbits (Rambo types), heavy gunners and snipers to round out our style of pal and we believe in defending a position on certain maps. I say if you have a problem because you lack the necessary skill to deal with this style of play, go back to playing Halo or just keep the whining to yourself.

LeGnZ

Nah these camping kids are way too annoying. It's funny they think they're good too like it takes some kind of skill or something.

nuttin2say

Let me help you out ... I'm one of those that believes there ARE people that are good at camping. Not many. In fact, extremely few. That's why I support those that choose to camp just as much as I support those who choose to run & gun or quick scope. Annoyance is not a reason to chase them away from the game. I'm sure you can look at any NFL team and you'll see players who were annoyed by something a lesser performing team does during a football game. Nonetheless, they don't demand the annoying players be kicked out of the league.

februarystars81

It was really bad on release but thats to be expected as people where a bit overwhelmed with the size/changes of the game! Don't get as much now but it's the same old COD community ethos- It wasnt the fact the other person is good/done well to kill me, it was lag/camping/they where using an "OP" weapon. . .

scruffs

It's quite typical in the early days for people to moan about camping, as while people like myself are learning the maps we get picked off by people who know the best places to defend (note I didn't say camp!) and it can be frustrating - if you're ten. I do think the maps on ghosts have less protection for campers as there aren't many one or two entrance/exit spots.

Also, ultimate camper killer is the only thing possibly complained about more than camping in the history of CoD.

BREAK OUT THE TUUUUBBBBBEEEESSSS BABY!.

Adeeez100

We must be playing different games, even the xmas noobs caught on quick as to the camping tactics, really ruins this game.

ObeySwag420

10 hours if obviously not enough then.

With the insanely quick kill times due to high accuracy/high power guns, if a camper is already aimed down sight and both of you see each other at the same time, you will lose 100% of the time. In BO2 this never worked because guns took a long time to kill due to recoil, rate of fire, low damage, etc. You could easily turn on a camper in BO2 but not in Ghosts.

Also campers blend into the surroundings in Ghosts, unlike BO2 where walls were usually bright colours and didn't have tall grass. Granted, head glitches were common, but that is different from camping because headglitchers purposely make it obvious where they are so you will come to them.

Obvious example is prison break on top of the hill overlooking the road and 3 vehicles...in TDM no one can come from your back side and you can simply lay prone on the hill and pick people off as they appear at the bottom of the hill where there is no cover at all.

nicedrewishfela

Obvious example is prison break on top of the hill overlooking the road and 3 vehicles...in TDM no one can come from your back side and you can simply lay prone on the hill and pick people off as they appear at the bottom of the hill where there is no cover at all.

Huh? There are at least two ways to get up there, and multiple ways to get behind players like that. I do it quite a bit.