45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2014 4:33 PM by aaces101 RSS

I was wrong about Ghosts

aaces101

I have to admit something, but first, to show I'm not an IW fanboy, I'll say this: I started COD on BO and loved it. I played MW3 to the 10th prestige, but hated it. BO2 was okay, but never really loved it. Ghosts, I absolutely hated when I first started playing it, but for some reason found myself continuing to play. I freaking love this game now, and I have a hypothesis why.

People constantly say they want change. You hear it in politics, and everywhere else, but it's not true. People hate change because it disrupts a familiar routine. Ghosts changed the COD format and it took some serious adjustments- in my game at least- to get used to it. From map layout, to a mass of different perk selections, to field orders. Not to mention, I find it actually takes strategy to win games.

So anyway, I just wanted to say- I'm a man and can admit when I'm wrong. IW, you did an awesome job with this game. You took a lot of heat when it first came out, and I was one of the ones screaming. Thumbs up on a game imo that runs, without a doubt, the best I have ever play online.

One little gripe though. PS4 is the future so start moving in this direction. ...JS

• Re: I was wrong about Ghosts
    LEPRKON

Amen...and well said.

WhyNoName

Rare do we see people post their change of opinion.  Glad you did.  I wasn't impressed much with the PS3 version of Ghosts as it was very laggy for me.  I adjusted to play it, but it wasn't my favorite.  However, since I made the full switch to PS4 Ghosts, the game is so much better in nearly every aspect even if there are fewer players on the system.

Ghosts is different.  It forced players to return to gun skill and also forced map awareness.  Once they correct the horrible spawn system, the game should be in pretty good shape for what it was designed to be.  I hope the DLC maps do bring some cool new things to the game - the weapon dlc sounds cool and I hope some of the maps are smaller that enable at least some games that are fast paced outside of Strikezone.

PUR4IDO

Gun Skill?? This game is the perfect example of gun skill not needed. Eveything is in this game is made to level out the playing field. I think you are under some serious drug use, because besides the larger maps, stupid field orders & very non lethal streaks, this is still COD. COD is about Arcade style play, Killstreaks & good pacing. This has none of that and it's because of the tools given to the players.

I just finished playing 5 games of TDM and all but 1 game ended in time limits. Playing TDM in maps like Chasm, Warhawk & Whiteout is painful. Some guy spent the entire game in Chasm hiding between two desk inside the office by the back of the map by the bus. I found him by accident when my dog ate his ass up.  Final Score 37-19.

In Whiteout the whole team hid inside the houses by the A flag. I went into one room, saw 4 i.e.d's sensors all over the floor. Threw a nade inside the room and I got a hit market. Everybody seems to be either in PC or not wearing their mics, so I could let any of my teammates know. Final Score 40-28

75 points should not be hard to achive, but in Ghosts is a task.

gotsomestars

I haven't had a single game end from the time limit. However , it wouldn't matter to me if it did. A win is a win.

Second and more importantly, its not the games fault that people aren't killing. You want to blame anyone blame the players.

WhyNoName

Just because games go time limit doesn't mean gun v gun isn't back in the game.  The reason why you are seeing games go to time limit is exactly a reflection of that.  People lack in gun v gun skill so they resort to campy tactics.  That, combined with larger maps, creates the longer games.  I've had my fair share of time limit games in TDM and yes it is boring playing against those types of teams/players.  But, I would rather deal with that than have to deal with AI killstreaks doing the work for said campers.  Anyway, if you don't like it, cranked is a viable alternative.

Zh3npo

You and EVERYONE else who keeps saying call of duty was designed for arcade style of play need to stuff a sock in your mouth and go play the first call of duty games. Your full of ****.

TH3_IT

Anyone who has played FPS games, that were not geared towards "arcade style" game-play, would know that this game IS an Arcade shooter.  It is heading away from that direction with this title, but still very much Arcade.  I've played strictly FPS games on both PC and console for close to 12 years, ran several websites...clans....competitions, etc. and there is no doubt, IT IS.

djw3st

Agree completely. Well said.

aaces101

Absolutely. The spawn system is the one thing I am having a problem with.

Izjar11

Its a big step in the right direction when gamers realize they jumped to conclusions far too soon. good post

BBGUNS

Very true next year you will hear everyone saying how this game was not as good as Ghosts. Every game has it nuances and COD Ghost will be there.

rewind247

I think this is a great game too.  I sometimes go back to MW3, and the connection is generally horrible on that game.  The connection on BO2 isn't bad if you move around, but camping in one spot seems to give you the bad end of lag compensation.  For Ghost, I rarely get the feeling that I died due to lag.

iHattoriHanzo0

Great post, great game.

Ever since BO1, I was always wondering why the developers couldn't bring back that CoD4 and WaW feeling for me. During BO2, I had pretty much give in to the fact that it never will. Only to be blown away by how Ghosts has fulfilled what I had been looking for.

I could analyze it all day long, but never be able to put my finger on what it is. The times change, people change, games change. I accept good memories are just that, memories. For Ghosts to answer all my wishes without actually knowing what my wishes are, is certainly an unexpected feat.

ExtremeKiller70

I knew we would start to see post like these once players adapt to the changing nature of the game. Last 2 COD titles were small map run and gun play style. I liked that style but only if I was suffering from the shot first empty clip and die to what appeared to be a single shot from my aponit.  This game and new system seems to have way more consistent gun fights. Yeah I still lose gun fights where I shot first but that's just because my aim sucks.

BanHaMMer

Agreed, I have put in over 200 hours on Ghosts, PS3 for 3 weeks then my PS4. Ghosts is a move in the right direction. Everyone on my FL (99 PEOPLE) play it at some time during the week. Where only 10 or so ended up playing BLOPS11.

To clarify: I am on leave atm, so I can enjoy Ghosts what ever time of day. It's just a g00d game

LargeLentils

ghosts is awesome.

RaspberryVelvet

Wow!  You guys are really forgiving people.  It must not take much to impress you.  Fortunately, the rest of us are not afraid to admit this game is a lazy mess.   At best, it is a beta test.  But given the corporate pressures placed on the developers to make a game that can accommodate players on all consoles, I'm willing to look past it.  At the very least, I can say that future iterations of the game should be better.  I am confident of that.  My fear is that the last two titles - BOP2 and Ghosts have had a considerably large share of complaints and detractors.  I don't think Activision can afford another disappointing iteration of this series.  My advice?  Listen to the fans.  Instead of making a game on your own, just ask people what they want to see in future titles.  It's that simple.  Try something bold.  Create small surveys and marketing campaigns to solicit feedback on new ideas. Pay attention to what players complain about on forums.  Stop turning a blind eye to complaints.  I think you will find that if you give the people what they want, you will be much more successful.  The alternative?  Keeping pushing out stuff like Ghosts and you will find players like myself opting not to purchase future DLC, playing the game less, and ultimately turning away from the series. 

I figure this will probably remain on the forum for about 20 minutes before some moderator deletes it.  Delete all you wish, but know that you can never delete the truth.  

Izjar11

Guy, you are part of group of players who will never be happy, no matter what is added or removed. Many enjoy the game, no need to hate us or the game. Just stop playing, and move on with another. Whos to say what you suggest they dont do already?

Just because your own feedback was not asked doesn't mean they dont read the many complaints on these forums and other media. This game is and has been created based on complaints and suggestions. 

slyd0g55

hard enough finding games in HC mode , i don't want players to move on lol ,

many suggestions have been put forward - i saw a reply from Ghosts Moderator earlier was good news bout spawns  ...

hopefully words turn into action

gotsomestars

You are the type that can never be satisfied. Not to mention there is zero fact in your post. Obviously they do listen to complaints. They are fixing the spawns, and they even nerfed a gun into uselessness already. The biggest problem with this series is part of the people who play it("pros" elitists sect.) Complain nonstop. People need to realize the scope of this game.  And REALLY need to understand that the game is not made for YOU. There may be things I like, and things I don't, but overall this is the best cod to come out in YEARS.

LargeLentils

its because Ghosts forces a person to use their brain before running out there all crazy. Therefore, a lot of guys have issue with it, because they must think first, and then use a plan versus running around non-stop guns blazing.

mw2snipergod

the only thing i hate about this game are the spawn's yeah i did not like how big the maps are but once i got used to them i am starting to enjoy this game

IndyOldGuy

Ghosts has the potential to be a very good game, however, the spawns are so ridiculous and unacceptable in this game its a total joke. I was on siege yesterday sitting by the main spawn near the red brick building, and the enemy team just kept spawning there and running past me, on a map that large, to keep spawning the enemy 10 feet from me, as opposed to the other side of the map,  that's simply stupid to say the least, and soon, if some changes aren't made, the game will turn into a team of thermal snipers and Tracker sight LMG users, VS a team of Thermal LMG'ers and 'regular' scope snipers...

ge0rdiemark

Ive been in lots of games on bigger maps that reach the time limit in TDM.

All it takes is enemies set up in a room with IED , motion sensors and aiming at doorways on both sides.

Or prison break with too many thermal snipers lying down watching corners.

Boring stalemate.

Electoblaze9

Nice to have you on the side of Justice, again.

I loved Ghosts from the beginning and I'm glad you have warmed up to it to. I think this game got way too much unfair criticism. People just hated on it because it was a CoD game made by IW, and how everyone assumes it's just MW3.5 (which it's not).

b-rabbit

MP is great. Game is great. i'm pissed that i got xp boosted and iw won't fix it.

rlbl

I conquer.  Ghosts (imhymao) has been the most enjoyable COD for me since BO1/MW2. I could topple the "my fav" COD spot.

• I prefer safe guard over zombies, survival and chaos modes from games past
    • I like squads when MP is not working out for me
    • The MP connectivity has been better for me than MW3 and BO2
    • Spawn logic is not great, but the map size makes it a bit more manageable for me than BO2 (most maps)
    • The Streaks, although most would say are lacklustre, make the game playable when I am dumped into a losing game (I do not have to quit because I am spawning into a chopper gunner, loadstar, repeat, AC130 / Dogs, Swarms, VTOL etc...)
      Spoil-t

People only hate Ghosts if they came off BO2 to it. BO2 has just ruined the community's skills because of how messed up that game was. When I started Ghosts I hated it. Had a barely positive K/D & just got constantly ****'d. Now I play the game just about everyday & brought my K/D up to 1.93. I get so many clan invites now I wish I could block them.

rlbl

That shows that one (in this case you ) had to change how you played to be able to move forward in the game (assuming bringing one's KD up is moving forward - but in COD would could say that is a very fair statement). Nice!

However one should be careful about using their K/D as a measure of their "skill" or a measure of how well a game plays.  Your KD going up could be the avoidance of others changing their (bad) habits, alongside with you improving/correcting yours. If everyone changed and stepped up their game to the same level* nobody would have stellar K/Ds (getting 95% on a test, when everyone in the class scores between 90% and 100%, is just average... ignoring standard deviation for a moment)

* it always confuses me when people say "Get on My Level" after they beat someone into the ground. When one thinks about it, if they were on your "level", they could not beat them into the ground at all, and the match would lean towards a more even outcome.

iHattoriHanzo0

rlbl wrote:

However one should be careful about using their K/D as a measure of their "skill" or a measure of how well a game plays.

Well said.

What I bolded out has been a thought on my mind ever since BO1. Its a shame that players determine how well a game is by how well they play the game. Measuring the quality of a game by k/d is a sad fact that many of us most likely share no matter how much we want to believe we don't. Of corse there are exceptions, but it takes an even keeled person with a completely objective view.

If it was a perfect world, we could all measure the game by the fun factor. CoD is just so darn competitive, emotions get in the way of fun. So killing more, not dying, and winning become the competitive players fun. Which in turn gets mistaken for a good or bad game.

Its just a difficult situation to completely separate the two. We shouldn't stop trying though.

images-3.jpeg

WhyNoName

You are right that a lot of people determine how good a game is by how "good" they are at the game.  On the k/d thing, in reality, since Ghosts focuses more on gun skill and map awareness than the last 4 or so CODs, if you have either or both of those, your k/d is going to be better simply due to the fact of there being very week assault streaks.

If you don't have gun skill or map awareness or are seriously hampered by lag, your k/d will suffer and your enjoyment of the game will be low as well - for the most part.

BO2 was the epitome of people without gun skill running up a high k/d.  The assault streaks earned by exploiting score streaks gave us a whole new "easy mode."  Those easy mode players are not having as much fun in Ghosts because their crutches are not in Ghosts.

iHattoriHanzo0

I hear ya, and it makes sense. I'm not a big fan of big killstreaks and didn't really think about my post with them in mind. I know this is a general statement and obviously doesn't go for everyone, but I find players that just go for big  killstreaks to play the game for k/d, and not play the game and let the k/d fall where it may. I'm not saying that they're not playing to win....

I think I'll shut up now. I'm getting myself confused.

images-4.jpeg

Spoil-t

I know what you guys are saying. If you go 50-0 in a Domination with 1 capture you look like a massive ass when your team loses but when you go 43-15 with 8 captures helping your team win you look like a good player. Hey, if I go very negative but had 12 captures I'd feel good knowing I helped my team.

iHattoriHanzo0

I agree with that statement 100%, but thats not what I was trying to say.

It was more of an idea of "don't base the quality of a game by how well you do from your k/d. The quality of a game should be based on fun."

Since CoD is so competitive, fun is determined by winning and killing. Dying and losing can cause players to say this game is bad.

nuttin2say

Well, there's the fun factor and there's the technical factor. On the technical side, I think Ghosts scores very high. Among the best CODs yet, if not THE best. The fun side ... I don't know. the new car smell is wearing off for me. I can't say why, either. I wish I could but I can't. It ain't kdr or wlr I promise you because I'm right where I normally am. In fact, maybe even higher given how little time I've got into the game so far.

My kills per match is down, though. Way down. Like between 30% and 50% less than previous titles. Could that be the cause?

slyd0g55

BO2 was awesome like other CoD series , the score per minute was a huge positive factor for skill man i really don't understand your comment

ghamorra

aaces101 wrote:

Not to mention, I find it actually takes strategy to win games.

This is all I ever wanted.

slyd0g55

every CoD has changed throughout its release , i started on MW , and the trend their following is one of another game makers play , CoD is a fast pace full of action type game , Ghosts is good like the rest of the series but slowly making it a campers paradise/ghillie suit-blend in with the background type mode hasn't been there strong point, spawns are getting restructured soon i hope you wont be screaming . ive managed to adapt to every CoD my online account is the same as my user name  .what ive noticed is objective game modes are getting harder to win when playing solo,