15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2014 9:42 AM by DjangoBlack2 RSS

The match making system is dreadful

rustyroot

Ok, Im prestige 9 level 38 at the time of writing this and as you can imagine I have spent many many hours playing the game. On the whole I enjoy it and prefer it to Blops 2. My issue is with the match making system. It is near on impossible to maintain a decent win/lose ratio as the game constantly puts me with randoms who appear to have never held a controller before. Its got to the point where ive stated using the share button to take photographs of the lobbies and tweet them to the devs. I dont know why Ive noticed it as much with this game however it becomes personal after the 6th lose on the bounce, having yet again been placed in a team of players who enjoy shooting at their own team mates. It also becomes apparant that clans go into games without their clan tag enabled. This I presume is to stop players quitting out of the lobby so that they can kill whore randoms. I just dont see how its remotely fair to put a team of randoms against a clan who all have headsets. Anyway moan over, if it continues I will post my twitter name so you can witness the misery.

• Re: The match making system is dreadful
    Izjar11

I wouldn't say its the matchmaking system (though you could be right) fault. IW has not really released how they match us in lobbies, but I would assume its done first by connection quality and then "balances" teams via whose who in the lobby (this is all me presuming)

But I understand 100% what your saying, many randoms seem to play with no regard to winning or are totally new to the game, I say this: Playing with Randoms gives Random results.

In regards to clans omitting the clan tags, my clan does this, we also turn off our mic's in prematch lobby because far too many on the opposite team quit, but even clans quit when they see they are facing another clan, its really the nature of the game now.

You sound like a decent player with good experience if you want to join me and my buds let me know (we play mostly at night) TDM, KC, DOM, Crack or GW.

PSN: egotrip7809

rustyroot

Thanks for the reply, I will look to send a friend request when next on mate. Like I said, I dont really know why I have picked up on this issue. I guess I had other worries in the other games. I wish the devs would use the combat training like world at war for example, keeping all the new players in separate play lists until level 15-20. Im sure they would appreciate the chance to enjoy the multiplayer before the slaughter that comes with going up against experienced players.

I dont know, I guess im frustrated after taking a beating today.

TheePamino

I'm experiencing the very same problem with matchmaking, although this isn't anything new.

What I am also noticing, however, is the sheer amount of players with KRs below 1.00; it's unprecedented for me. I cannot recall encountering so many seemingly inept players on previous versions. Chances are I get lumbered with them, which I wouldn't necessarily mind but when my team comprises mostly of these sorts, it can be frustrating, especially seeing as I go at least 2KR most games only to end up on the losing side more often than not. I'm not being boastful, merely highlighting what I am up against frequently.

I guess it is easier said than done striking up that fine balance when it comes to matchmaking. *deep sigh*

claisty

I hear ya bud.  I noticed it more on Black Ops 2 due to the skill based match making.  Without fail I could look at a lobby's K/D and tell you which players were going to get partnered with me prior to the match.

I don't notice it quite as much with Ghosts, but since it's a new CoD many of my friends are playing again so I'm not lone-wolfing it quite as much.

TheePamino

Yeah, I think you have a point with the lone wolf part.

BO2 comprised of me playing most matches alongside a really good friend of mine, who was arguably better than me. Other players' stats were of no concern then, so I tended not to make a huge deal of everyone else. However, now that I am on my lonesome I find that I am more paranoid about who I may be teamed with, thus I am checking up on more and more players pre-game.

Another obvious issue, one that cannot be helped in many respects, is that most players nowadays are part of a clan and will therefore party up. This leaves all those on their lonesome forming the opposing team.

BobbyMcGee

i play on the wiiu, welcome to the small playerbase woes...that said, i do believe matchmaking is broken. something went wrong with the dedi's, who knows what, and now we no longer can search on best, normal, or any. plus no more bars (ping to host). search options need to be brought back. its even more obvious on the u's small playerbase. i live i ny a few hundred miles from activisions servers. there is no reason i should be stuck in lobbies with south american or french hosts,, but it happens every day.

ctfw529

BobbyMcGee wrote:

i play on the wiiu, welcome to the small playerbase woes...that said, i do believe matchmaking is broken. something went wrong with the dedi's, who knows what, and now we no longer can search on best, normal, or any. plus no more bars (ping to host). search options need to be brought back. its even more obvious on the u's small playerbase. i live i ny a few hundred miles from activisions servers. there is no reason i should be stuck in lobbies with south american or french hosts,, but it happens every day.

that's happening to you *because* of the low-player count. it's either that, or you sit there and watch it "wait" until it finds enough people in your region to fill a lobby.

sennalike

Matchmaking in CoD has always been poor, leaning towards getting players in games as quickly as possible over quality of experience. In ghost on the ps4 the issue is compounded by two main things. First, the killstreaks aren't as strong as in previous games. This makes it significantly more difficult for one good player to carry a weak team. Not impossible, but much more difficult. Secondly, the number of players is very low, not IWs fault, the ps4 is new and not many. (relative to ps3) have one. No matter how good the matchmaking is, unless you want to sit there for a long time waiting, you are going to get thrown in with people from almost anywhere with any degree of skill or competency.

It's not great but I just accept both these points and make the best of it. I'm sure as numbers grow things will improve, albeit slowly.

rumbloke

Someone please tell matchmaking I'm British with a slow (8 mbps) internet. Then maybe it will put me in a room that.

1 I can understand people.

2 My bullets might kill someone instead of just alerting the other team that ive respawned and need killing again (sometimes on my spawn point)

I've been playing now a few days ,This is the 1st cod ( played them all)  I can't get a positive KD . Yes my internet sucks I can't improve that till BT put cable to our exchange I understand thats not their  fault. I have had  half a dozen good games ...bullets work English speaking people even managed a positive KD. So until  matchmaking works (realises im not Italian / German) or there's more people with ps4 and poor internet. I guess I'm back to playing other games. Has anyone else noticed that most games one team gets slaughtered on the KD ?. The old days of seeing killed 12 died 10 seem to be replaced with a few players killed 34 died 3 with everyone else as cannon fodder.

DjangoBlack2

I immediately leave the lobby when I get paired with noobs or low rank players. Don't get me wrong there are some experienced players who start fresh under a new gamer tag or simply gifted but the majority of them are human trash who destroy my experience. They should play FFA; learn the maps and game mechanics and then go to TDM or objective game modes. The previous games before BO2 did it right; you were able to play to a certain rank TDM & FFA. I can't understand why people enjoy the game going steadily negative in TDM.

Spoil-t

When you mix parties of 2-6 into randoms you will get unbalanced teams. It's just a fact you will have to deal with. If you ever played the Mercenary playlists in previous CODs you would get a lot less unbalanced teams & more close wins/loses. 

safari_Joe

I'd much rather have a game where it matches you with players based on connection rather than the horrible attempt bo2 made in skill based matchmaking where half the games were unplayable due to lag.

DjangoBlack2

A proof of how good matchmaking works.

1617612_10152174999783754_205701793_o | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

When I got kicked the match was 3-35. That shouldn't happen