36 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2014 12:00 AM by immortalmindz RSS

Which Maps are your Kryptonite?

nicedrewishfela

Disclaimer- This is NOT a Map praising/bashing thread. There are several threads open discussing the merits and quality of maps, please join those if you are here to discuss good v bad maps.

I had a good bit of time to play the game this weekend, and it really got me thinking about a few things. One thing I realized as I was playing was that it seems that in every CoD title I have played, there were certain maps that just seemed to be my Kryptonite. Maps in which I could never seem to do well consistently. Maps that just seemed to disagree with my play style.. and while I would occasionally have success on those maps, more often than not they would frustrate me to no end. I wouldn't say they were maps I disliked... although my struggles with them map have forced them onto my list of "maps I don't like".

COD4 it was Strike and Crash, WaW it was Courtyard and Cliffside, MW2 it was Derail and Wasteland.... BO I was very confident on all the maps, but did struggle on Villa and Array at times, MW3 it was mostly Lockdown and Bootleg, and on BO2... well I actually had no real issues on those maps.

I describe my play style as a Tactical Mover. I don't have the patience to Camp, but I am also too logical to just run and gun wildly. So I combine all playstyles. I sit and wait when the situation calls for it, I move slowly and carefully around the map checking my corners and sight lines, and at times I do rush in to disrupt the enemy. So as I played this weekend, it hit me that two maps in particular were frustrating to me: Whiteout and Overlord.

Whiteout- I think what gets me about this particular map is the open layout. While there is a lot of cover behind rocks and walls... there is also a LOT of areas where you are visible from multiple vantage points. So there will be times when I will think I am in cover that I will get shot from an area I hadn't checked, or a spot where the enemy just wasn't visible. What I have done to adjust-  I stick primarily now to the perimeter of the map. I have the most trouble when maneuvering through the middle sections either in front of the ship or near the mill/Chalet area. There are just too many nooks and crannies to get shot from. I have the most success patrolling the fishing village or the back sides of the Mill/Chalet and ship.

Overlord- Wow... this map. I just haven't figured  it out yet I suppose... but I can have fantastic games on it and then feel completely incompetent the next time around. I think for me it is a combination of the bizarre spawns and lack of flow. Even playing with a full squad, it can be difficult to figure out the spawns. This makes it very difficult to be tactical... when you take out an enemy only to have them spawn behind you, where you had just spawned moments earlier. What I have done to adjust-  I have learned on this map to wait and see what the enemy's strategy is. If they are running around aimlessly, I will move from spot to spot and pick them off. If they are camping the middle building, I will infiltrate through the bottom floor or upper window and try to dig them out. I make a LOT of use out of the lower cliffside routes, as they seem to often be forgotten and offer good cover to move back and forth between sides of the map.

So my question to you all is... do you have maps like this? Not just maps you don't like(Though that may be a factor of how much you struggle on said maps)...but maps that just seem to challenge or frustrate you more than the others. Why do you suppose those maps have this effect on your game? What have you done to adapt or adjust to your struggles? Would be interesting to see if the discussion here helps folks improve on maps they may be having trouble with.

• Re: Which Maps are your Kryptonite?
    Sannji

Seige and Octane are the worst.

Octane forces people in buildings, anyone running in the middle dies. Stupid map.

gotsomestars

Flooded and chasm are probably my worst. I just don't really like the "flow" of these maps.  There are too many overlapping floors. Which usually makes everyone just run to one area over and over. So only 1/3 of the map even gets used.

ghamorra

Sovereign is my Kryptonite. It's one of those maps where I'll start the match off on really well but as soon as I die it's all over. I can ride a 10+ killstreak off the start but when I fall dead it goes down hill. I'll spawn into a series of deaths that I'll never recover from. 

nicedrewishfela

Sovereign is one I pondered mentioning in my OP. It is one of those Maps that can go either way for me, really.

Lately been having a bit more success on it so I left it off, but the spawns and multiple corners/pathways can make it a difficult one to get a groove going on. Maybe it is just me, but it seems to be one of the maps where I am asking myself  "Where did I just die from?", which I can usually ascertain easily even in HC.

I have been mostly sticking to the perimeter on this map as well, you can get some good vantage points through the middle of the map and folks tend to not look for you when you patrol the outside areas as much.

ghamorra

Sovereign and Warhawk have a lot of spawnpoints that look the same. I often find myself doing the "WTF!" dance. It's where you spawn in a very generic area of the map and run around in circles until you get your barrings straight. My friend coined the term several years ago when we played MoH: Frontline. Some of those maps had Ctrl+C Ctrl+V areas of the map that were impossible to determine you're location.

Sannji

If you play TDM, sovereign is a camping game. Stick to the middle of the map around the 2nd floor of the room with that big light table. Poke your head out the windows or the side room next to the ladder for some kills from people who spawn on that side. If no one is there, run to the other side (but don't go into the room with all the computers). You can even jump down out the window and run to the other side using the bottom pathway.

Here I even drew you a diagram. Guarantee it will be busy in that area, and if it is not, after you kill a few people they will run back to try get you. A few IEDs will help you.

photo 11_zpsb07394b2.jpg

ghamorra

I like camping the far right side of the map. There's a couple vantage points that I like to rotate and it give me nice long lines of sight. The issue is, and as I said above, once I die I'm often placed in a spot that doesn't give me a good chance to back there. Because of my playstyle I like to use MRs on Sovereign and MRs don't make very useful weapons for chaotic middle of the map battles.

Sannji

I use a honeybadger with semi auto attachment lol so if I can do it with that, you can use an MR. The secret is to anticipate which side the enemy is coming from. If you use an MR, stay in that small room in the diagram I labeled. You can look out and shoot people coming from the right side or under you. If it's quiet, that means theyre behind you. Lay an IED behind you as protection.If you want to check other side, jump down and take the hallway underneath to the otherside. It's a straight hallway so you can anticipate an enemy coming. After you kill whoever is there, take the stairs back up and repeat. Easy.

jmd11jamis

Sannji, how do you get a screen cap (if you are using xbox 360)?  Great post btw. 

iHattoriHanzo0

Nice twist on a usually negative topic, "most hated map". In Ghosts, I'll call it my least favorite instead.

I play Core TDM most of the time and it would have to be Freight. I have done very well at times on this map, but I don't have a "go to" strategy like most of the other maps. I'm not at all a fan of window views or higher elevation spots that some players love. So I usually stay to the alleys and tracks. I hate to say it, but its one of those maps I try to flank and surprise the enemy when they turn out of the spawn. I'm still working on how I need to adjust.

I know you prefer HC, after this weeks clan war I played HC exclusively and thoroughly enjoyed it. I did find the difference between some maps in the two modes to be completely polar opposites for me. While in Core, Stonehaven and Siege are my all time favorites, and in HC they are my least favorite. Granted, it all comes down to my patience at the time.

I remember a "camping/sniping" on Stonehaven statement we threw back and forth a while back. I completely see where you were coming from. Players tend to not move out of fear of being sniped.

There were a couple "dig in" snipers I played with and against for a while that gave new meaning to the term camping for me. I shouldn't use the word camping, maybe more like........ not moving......at all. But they played their game, stayed positive, and helped the team. Also pointed out all the best hiding spots for my future reference.

images-1.jpeg

ghamorra

Bottom middle building that's blue is where I camp. I have 4 completely different spots in just that are that allow me vantage points to the big ship, hill, and cave. Thanks to my rotating pattern enemy players can never get a good look at me before I take their face off. I also have a couple tricks to taking over the mill but the spawns on that side of the map leave me vulnerable from behind more than I like. The thing about camping is that you have to keep in unpredictable. I think that's why people hate it so much. A smart camper will camp where you least expect it. Even when you think you've seen it all they surprise you and that would piss anyone off. 

Sannji

For me that side of the map doesn't get enough action, most people who spawn by helicopter run to the other side.

The mill house is in the center where the action is, but yes you need to watch your back. That's why I pack IEDs and motion sensors.

jennral

On Whiteout, I actually have better luck hanging around the ice cave, shooting towards the saw mill (the area you circled in red.)  If the enemy is camping the ice cave, tossing a couple frags or thermobarics towards the ice cave usually yields a few kills per game.

jmd11jamis

1. Siege - I used to avoid this map like the plague.  It wasn't until I forced myself to play it multiple times over that I figured out how to move around.  I was sticking to the East side of the map, running through the mine shaft and the buildings on that side.  There were too many points that I'd end up in the open and get picked off.  I also was convinced that I'd do best with a mid-range assault (Remington/ AK-12).  Fix for me: use MTAR-X or K7 and run the West side through the buildings and keep the gameplay close quarters.

2. Stormfront: I don't do bad in this map, I just find it too big and separated for my game play style.  I always end up on the side that no one else is on.  Like you I tend to move a lot tactically, can't do the camping for more than 10 or 15 seconds.  I end up scoring low every time I play. 

I actually have some good data on my gameplay from a record of now more than 200 matches that calculates my score/minute for each map (along with lots of other good stats - check out my last discussion topic).  One of the maps that I really enjoy playing (stonehaven), I get a very low score/minute.  Siege (one I don't enjoy), I tend to gain a higher score/minute. 

nicedrewishfela

Siege took me a LONG time to figure out. The first several times I played it I was just plain frustrated. Now that I know the flanking routes and cover, however, it has become one of my strongest maps. My only issue with it is the sheer size... which still sometimes causes low-scoring matches for me.

Stormfront is kind of a love/hate with me. It really has a lot of  camper/friendly areas (Ever caught some sad soul crouching or laying in the grassy corner of the Library?).  As you pointed out as well, it is large so traversing it can be a pain in the neck. I have had a lot of success on it, however and have become pretty good at making my way around the map. If your team is too spread out, however... the spawns can be quite inconvenient.

jennral

For me, it would be Tremor, unless I am camping the stairs near the highest roof.  For some reason, my eyes have a hard time picking out enemies on that map!  Siege is another tough one, unless I camp the rafters in the mine.  I get pretty bored sitting in one spot, so the camping usually doesn't last long.

In BO2 it was Turbine.  Haaated that map.  (Probably because I sucked at it...LOL!)

In MW3 it was Arkaden and Underground.

In BO it was Havana.

In MW2 it was Derail, Underpass, Wasteland...and probably a few others because it was my first COD game and I really sucked.

nicedrewishfela

Tremor definitely has a lot going on, hard to pick folks out at times. I have been fortunate to have success on that map moving around, I think it is just a factor of figuring out my routes and where people like to camp.

Siege is a challenge for a lot of players, I think. There are long sight lines, but because of the clutter it can be tough for Snipers. There are good flanking routes, but they are winding and confusing so it can be tough for rushers. I have been enjoying Siege lately for this very reason. Matches tend to be slower but part of the fun for me is figuring out what strategy is going to be effective against each enemy team.

jennral

I never really camped much on Tremor, but did the last couple of days out of sheer frustration.  I just have never gotten a good feel for that one.

Yes, Seige seems like it would be a great sniping map, but I do poorly when I try.  (Unless it is in the rafters in the mine...lol!) 

jmd11jamis

I do best in Tremor with this loadout, give it a shot.

Primary: MTAR-X, rapid fire, foregrip

No secondary

No Tact/Lethal

Perks: Focus, Agility, Sleight of Hand, Quick Draw...and something else I think...maybe the one that makes your footsteps quiet.

Weave in and out of the buildings being sure to not expose yourself to long range.

jmd11jamis

MW2 Arkaden, loved it.  I was probably the guy that made you hate it.  I'd have to say of all of the games, I think MW3 had the best maps though.

Spoil-t

In Ghosts it's Strikezone & Free Fall. They're too small for this game were lag comp & hit detection are usually spot on. So you are forced to get within spitting distance in a game were you die faster than you blink.

In BO2 it was all the maps except Turbine. All but that map were small to small-medium, 3-lane, shitty spawn. easy spawn trapped pieces of ****! Turbine was the only map were you could spawn somewhat safely.

MW3 was Dome & Interchange. First was horrid for S&D if you were the planters. Interchange was just designed by a drunk.

BO1 was Nuketown & Jungle. Those maps catered to ***** players.

MW2 I loved all maps. They all had their bad moments by I overall enjoyed.

WaW I never played because WW2 games have been done so much they bore me.

COD4 I loved all maps same with MW2.

They need to ultimate map pack COD4 & MW2 for Ghosts. They can have my money for that.

nicedrewishfela

I have yet to play Free Fall live on Ghosts... I don't play the Mosh Pit so that is to be expected. I expect it to be a mess, however, when it gets into rotation as it tends to be so on Squads.

Strike Zone I haven't had an issue with. I play mostly HC but played quite a bit of Core this past weekend trying to work on an operation and didn't really have issues with it.

If you aren't using a gaming monitor, I recommend trying it. The difference is remarkable. Besides the occasional bad lobby here and there, I rarely have lag issues anymore.

Izjar11

Octane I do very well, all because of a nice place called PINKIEEZ

nuttin2say

Sovereign and Prison Break. Yes, both. And a close third place is Whiteout.

Firesens

Stonehaven, Stormfront, and Freight.

Gerbera

I think Chasm, but only because of all the layers it has. If a blip appears on the mini map right near me, quite often there will be no one there when I check becayse they're actually one or two floors higher/lower than me, lol. Chasm is a map where the Oracle and ODIN really come in handy.

dtuchpunk

None, I try to adapt to each map

Tygrastic1

The 'KEM strike' version of strikezone is my absolute Kryptonite.  I for some reason cannot wrap my head around it at all.  I absolutely despise every time it comes up in the rotation.  A group of us play Team Tactical and win S&R a ridiculous amount of the time (we played in a normal S&R lobby and won 35 straight games), but that map is a guaranteed loss for us.  I am guessing there are just too many flanking routes for us to control.  It is a complete mindscrew for me by now.