11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 12:39 PM by Squarefodder RSS

Do shotguns need a buff?

QwertyBoredom

So its no secret that shotguns in ghosts are not as good, powerful or viable as in previous games and infact the likes of pistols and sniper rifles are arguably more reliable close quarter weapons as such in your (hopefully unbiased) opinion do/should they get a buff?

• Re: Do shotguns need a buff?
    Izjar11

QwertyBoredom wrote:

So its no secret that shotguns in ghosts are not as good, powerful or viable as in previous games and infact the likes of pistols and sniper rifles are arguably more reliable close quarter weapons as such in your (hopefully unbiased) opinion do/should they get a buff?

Not Good? I get blown away quickly by them in CQC! They most definitely do not need a buf.

QwertyBoredom

Since you say get blown away you don't really seem use them so of course the only times you would notice them, and yes compared to previous titles (MW2, BO2) these shotguns are REALLY bad, even worse there so inconstant I will OHK players at times then at pretty much the same distance it will take 2-3 shots to kill (assuming I don't get killed first).

phxs72

You get points for making a good observation.  Those that don't use them (not saying Izjar11 doesn't) will likely find them more effective than they really are.  However, I have used them and I have to say that they don't need a buff.  Like you have observed, sometimes I get OHKs at ridiculous ranges and other times it takes a few shots to drop someone.  That's just the nature of the beast when it comes to CQC weapons.  Sometimes I can drop a guy across the map with a SMG but other times the recoil has me running through a whole clip and still watching the guy get away or drop me with his AR.  Those moments when I do get that kill outside of the guns ideal range should be considered lucky breaks and not the norm.  Within the shotguns designed range they are quite deadly.  Outside of that range they are hit and miss but that's how it is supposed to be.

Izjar11

QwertyBoredom wrote:

Since you say get blown away you don't really seem use them so of course the only times you would notice them, and yes compared to previous titles (MW2, BO2) these shotguns are REALLY bad, even worse there so inconstant I will OHK players at times then at pretty much the same distance it will take 2-3 shots to kill (assuming I don't get killed first).

I don't have to use them to determine they are effective at CQC. Its not rocket science, when they run at me and my reaction is already delayed, they end my players "virtual life" quickly and run past me.

When they try to kill me from mid-distance I laugh, because it clearly shows how well they were designed not to kill at those long distances. Now aiming is not the same as previous titles, but I will say this: The only shotgun I felt ever killed at OHK was the KSG from BO2 (that thing took one hit, and from distances to rival Assault rifles).

Seph009

Actually you should use them since you can really only determine viability after using a gun, especially shotguns. You only notice yourself being killed by them, you've never experienced 3 close range hitmarkers with the tac 12 then dying, or the mts wasting all 5 shots and failing to kill a guy and you can't do anything since the reload is so slow you want to kill yourself. The FP6 is worse than the tac 12 in every way which makes it worse than garbage.

Izjar11

Seph009 wrote:

Actually you should use them since you can really only determine viability after using a gun, especially shotguns. You only notice yourself being killed by them, you've never experienced 3 close range hitmarkers with the tac 12 then dying, or the mts wasting all 5 shots and failing to kill a guy and you can't do anything since the reload is so slow you want to kill yourself. The FP6 is worse than the tac 12 in every way which makes it worse than garbage.

I will get around to using them, I always try them towards a certain point of the game. When I do ill come back and respond to your post with more experience. Cheers.

Squarefodder

Fp6 is not garbage. What game modes are you playing with the shotguns?

erratic_calm

I'll give you some tips:

If you have good map knowledge and know how to run flank routes you'll find yourself doing pretty good with the shotguns.

Muzzle brake, grip and steady aim with hip firing is effective. Notice how large the hip fire box is and frame your enemies in it. I rarely aim down sight with shotguns and I only use them on a few close quarters maps but I do just fine. They're just not as easy to use as the Remington 870 from Black Ops 2.

I don't think they need a buff. They are great in close quarters but not amazing in long range gun fights. Just how they should be as tactical shotguns. Call of Duty is not a skeet shooting simulator.

Seph009

The remington wasn't actually a good shotguns even with the small maps. The range was ****, the fire rate wazs lower than these shotguns, and the min damage was as bad as fp6 damage.

What exactly are you calling a long range gunfight with shotguns? 10 or 12 meters? The tac is supposed to be the long range shotgun of this game but usually it takes 4 shots at that range.

Do you know anything about shotguns? The grip doesn't reduce spread and the recoil and the ranges shotguns work is so negligible that using grip would make anyone a moron. The spread being reduced would take more skill but make them more effective at longer ranges. The tac, fp6, and mts still need fixes though.

TheDarkOne123

All of the shotguns except the Bulldog need a damage buff and the Bulldog needs it's recoil removed while aiming down the sight so the slug rounds are actually effective.

Squarefodder

I don't really feel that the shotguns need a buff. I run the fp6 quite often along with a throwing kife to increase chance of ohk. Its a gun that requires stealth and speed. if you try to take enemies on with this weapon you need to think about the flow of the map and where people want to go then kill em in route.  Since confined spaces are where this weapon shines you will need to be thinking cqc, patrol doorways, sharp turns, hallways, stairs, and most importantly objectives. Dead silence helps to avoid detection. Agility allows one to walk fast with weapon ready, this gives you the drop in tight space or around objectives. Marathon to run fast and flank victims. Blast shield because your running and don't have time to avoid explosives, (however that may have changed with the latest buff). I like takedown because the last thing you need is the whole enemy team knowing where your doing your dirty work. I also like ready up for obvious reasons. As far as steady aim goes, I don't use it on shotguns unless I'm running slugs(rarely). I know that is controversial, however i feel that the shotguns works fine as is when hip firing. If you can't hip fire the shotgun successfully without steady aim then you should look at different guns.