37 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 8:19 AM by rainmaker6 RSS

Nerfing I.E.D's are just the start...

thecontracktor

Great job on making them useless IW/Activision.... You have started another trend of nerfing equipment when nothing was wrong with it... You cattier yet again to "BAD PLAYERS" who don't have enough since to run the appropriate perks to avoid them like....

1)Sitrep

2)Blast Shield

3)Agility and Marathon comb will let you run away from them with enough time

4) You could check the corners,doorways and other popular places(high traffic)before running out.

Next I'm sure will be C4,Maverrick,AK-12,Remington,MSBS,All the Marksmen rifles,etc.,etc. And whatever else people start crying over...

It's really a shame. 

• Re: Nerfing I.E.D's are just the start...
    NoLifeKing32

They really didn't nerf them, they still do the same damage and have the same blast radius. I still get kills with them, and when people run through them I have enough time to react, so they are still doing the same thing. You just have to place them better, put them on a wall or a rock instead of the ground.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
    Fang_1192

C4 does need a nerf. It's a low risk, high reward explosive that takes zero skill to use.

Gysr

What do you mean nothing was wrong with the ied? It was a for sure kill. And what do you mean its useless now? I decided to be a scum bag for a little bit and used ied with extra Lethals perk. I got kills 90% of the time. It's not useless it's you. If you use it like a claymore it does the job. Also this is a constructive forum so going around hating without proof or reason is useless.

thebiindsniper

Marathon + Agility did NOT protect you from IEDs.  In addition, IEDs deserved a nerf.  Rather than keeping the balanced equipment ie claymores and betties, they decided to combine them into one all-powerful package.  If something like an IED has two great abilities, there has to be a large enough counter balance in order to make them more fair.  With the way IEDs were prior to the patch, the balance of the IED was offset.

Granted there are counters like Sitrep and Blast Shield, but the IEDs made those perks too essential rather than simply helpful.  If I wanted to avoid betties and claymores, sure I could equip Sitrep/Engineer, but I didn't need them to save my life every time.  Now IEDs...they're a different story.

~RUGGED SAVIOR

kustom shoota

I will say that I both used IEDs on numerous classes yet also had blast shield OR sitrep on all the same classes.  I think placing them mid torso in areas that don't have corners to get around is the most effective region to place them now, at least in my experience, but I at best only ever had a 32% kill rate per IED placed, meaning that I never really thought they were all that amazing to begin with.

without considering their damage and radius numbers, clearly they took all the positives of claymores and bouncing betties and put them into one, such as tossing them like footballs yet also not having an obvious counter move (laying down), so yea, nerfing these isn't all that surprising. 

My brother has(had?) a danger close IED class that when used on an intense B map like Sovereign or Whiteout would automatically get 40 kills per game, I never really saw it in action but I saw his numbers at the end lol... So, while I pretty much had double IEDs on all camping type classes, I have taken that off for something like stalker now instead, and have adjusted my gameplay a bit to now be more effective in close range fights than before where I was relying on avoiding those upcoming fights by killing them with an IED first.  I loved IEDs, the change makes them weaker in the "set it and forget it" sense, but oh well Ce lavie or however you say "that's life" in french .... lol 

thecontracktor

My original comment was directed to people that routinely get blown up by I.E.D and refuse to make the appropriate changes to a class setup to prevent that...I had to and now that doesn't happen anyway near as often.You have 6 class setups....Use them.

Since the update people have been leaping then looking due to no fear of death (In Blitz for example) from I.E.D.'s around the goal.And i don't even like Blitz and if not for clan wars I wouldn't play it.But that was always a good strategy to help defend the goal.

I'm tried of all the nerfing cause people don't want to run the correct perks that work best for the game mode there playing.I mean there's only 35 perks and 10 characters to mix and match for the best class setups for the different modes right?

If you use "that gun" your a noob...Because it works best for you killing the enemy team.Why would you want the upper hand?

Oh,you have to use I.E.D. or C4 cause you suck... But I've killed you 4 times in the same area with it, why do I want to change it when you keep falling for it?

In objective game modes the winners are often called campers,if they force the enemy team to play there way to achieve victory.... If your a "Run and Gun" team then my clan is going to try and make you slow down or if your a slow team then we'll push you a little to see how you respond.

It's just a bad cycle that just want stop with this nerfing crap... We all have access to the same perks and weapons,stop focusing on your K/D (chance are you think that's more important than winning the game) and I.E.D. or C4 or Riot Shields or whatever else won't bother you.

In short just adjust to the game and who knows...It might just make you a more versatile and a stronger player.

Rayquaza39

I honestly think IEDs were fine except for how you could stick it in so many places and how it detonates a bit too fast to react. The damage reduction for jumping over IEDs on the ground and ducking for ones on ceilings, etc was well needed.

People sometimes do complain too much about little bitty things that are fine the way they are. Just adapt and you will be fine. Make different soldiers with different specialties and make like two universal classes such as an RPG and sitrep for equipment and a speedy class for objectives. That's the whole purpose of Create a Soldiet

Gysr

SSo I have to use 2 perk slots to counter someones ied that costs them 1? Nuffield said

kustom shoota

I have a no troll policy after going through some nightmares in a thread that I started once...So this is coming in peace and I will forever come in peace.

don't look at it that you are spending 2 to counter 1, because you are spending 2 for the implied possibility of surviving multiple ied blasts per life.  So yes, it STILL might be a bad investment perk wise in both the short term AND long term, but it can also save you multiple times over per life.  So yes, if you only survive long enough to see, say, 1.36 IEDs per life, yea it IS a bad investment.  But, if you are alive long enough (say, if you are a 2.50 KD Run and Gunner) that you survive 2.3 IEDs per average life, then it's a positive investment.

I'm not one of those players, so I'm not speaking on experience either, I'm just mid-tier trash, but this is one situation where it isn't always the 2 point vs. 1 point equation. 

admunday

Gysr wrote:

SSo I have to use 2 perk slots to counter someones ied that costs them 1? Nuffield said

Sitrep does more than just counter IEDs, also helps you avoid assualt killstreaks and helps you add to your streaks by highlighting enemies equipment to destroy.  Hence your cost arguement is all wrong.

gotsomestars

You don't have to use ANY perk points. They have BIG FLASHING lights on them.

On a side note, that's a silly argument. You use perks to counter PART of the game. While different styles use different perks, it's all one big chess match you can pick what pieces to use. If you decide to use agility instead of blast shield, that's your choice, but it is a choice. So the whole " I have to use 2 perk points to counter _______________" is invalid.

Bielsalmighty

Actually, your 2 point perk will also protect you against IMS, Semtex, Frags, C4, Canister Bombs, the Panzerfaust, the Kastet, the MK-32, UB Grenade launchers and Thermobarics in HC, and if your opponent wants any of those to be effective, they have to spunk 4 points into Danger Close.

Its not like IEDs are the only explosive you ever come across, and Blast Shield for a 2 point spend protects potentially against 9 points worth of gear, a killstreak and requires your opponent to spend 4 points to counter. So yes, if you refuse to use Blast Shield when you KNOW your opponents are using IEDs, more fool you.

Carvalho16

It was a fair nerf. They are still strong in their own right and people who don't think will still get killed by them.

Placing them at mid-riff height or using Danger Close makes the nerf redundant.

kustom shoota

I agree for the most part, I think that the key IED change is now you can't toss them like the C4 packet and just expect a 50/50 kill like how you used to, better accuracy and placement is necessary.  Very fair I think, because bouncing betties were beloved by myself because of that difference from claymores.  Never used claymores since mw2 nuke camping but when betties came around in blops2 that was my fave equip.   But betties had their obvious weaknesses by a basic evasion maneuver, something IEDs didn't really have I guess.

UpfrontBeast605

Personally, I don't use IED's because they bother me - but I still get blown up by a fair few. I don't feel anything about them nerf'ing them or not, but they better not nerf marksman rifles. haha

Vulcan Hades

I agree 100% that IEDs shouldn't get nerfed.

However, if they were nerfed I didn't notice any difference. I still get kills fairly often with them. And when I don't (because someone has the perks to resist the explosion) it's still very useful as "warning/headsup" and I still end up getting the kill anyway.

One of the things I find the most hilarious and sad is watching one of my teammates get killed despite having heard his IED go off and not kill anything. That should be an obvious "turn around cuz u about to get stabbed in the butt" but nope. Too many people are still clueless about how to properly use IEDs lol.

MadOne2099

I think we miss the point about explosives in general in COD. EXPLOSIVES ARE POWERFUL! That's why they're used in combat situations. To kill the enemy in one fell swoop and at times multiple enemies. People keep talking about the claymore and betties being balanced but they were trash too. At no point should you be able to avoid an explosive once triggered. If you want to avoid them completely use sit rep, if you want to keep from dying right away use blast shield, it's that simple. If you choose not to use them then you are the problem, not the explosive. 

djacks400

Pretty soon all explosives will shoot confetti and all weapons will fire marshmallows and then all of the ADHD whiners can rejoice in the game they've ruined. IEDs were perfectly fine before. The only ones getting killed were those who refused to use the perks offered to them to track and avoid them and even without these perks they were easily avoided. The damn shame about it is Danger close is a tier 4 perk to boost them back to being somewhat useful again. They should even it out by making danger close a tier 2 or 3 perk.

maccabi

they haven't nerfed IEDs at all.

all they did was put the onus on the PLAYER if you died now.