19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2014 8:23 PM by theroc23 RSS

What come after COD dies?

TizZle

so by the looks of how many players are online after MW2 this game is clearly coming to an end so what do you think the next best thing is going to be after COD?

• Re: What come after COD dies?
    xxphenomen4xx

I would imagine a very well off company like battlefield,  rainbow 6, or james bond!?  Im not a fan of halo, but im sure they could offer a prequel to their franchise.   For me, though,  until they can't support the entire interwebz, , I'll be staying here

gramthenOOb

COD will continue to make games for years to come. The numbers may appear lower, but this is partially due to the next gen console split. Numbers are expected to be weird in these years. If you're looking for different games to play, I wouldn't wait for the Call of Duty franchise to stop making games. Many great games available right now.

TizZle

not many FPS games out at all right now... and the numbers have dropped by more than half sinse MW2

gramthenOOb

Unfortunately, if that's the way you feel, then you're hooped. Try a different genre. I picked up DmC and loved it, and it's a 3rd person hack-n-slash.

And even though the numbers may have dropped since MW2, the community is still large and active. I have no problem finding games or matchmaking ever.

matuzz

gramthenOOb wrote:

COD will continue to make games for years to come. The numbers may appear lower, but this is partially due to the next gen console split. Numbers are expected to be weird in these years. If you're looking for different games to play, I wouldn't wait for the Call of Duty franchise to stop making games. Many great games available right now.

All series come to end:

Medal of Honor was CoD of its time.

Tony Hawk Proskater

Prince of Persia

etc.

Call of Duty will eventually die also when people get bored to it.

gramthenOOb

You are correct in that. Allow me to reword myself.

I have no reason to believe that the series will come to an end anytime soon. There have been no indications from the developers/producers that they are thinking of discontinuing the game at this time. Therefore, I personally am not going to worry about finding a new FPS game at this time.

I do agree in the sense that nothing lasts forever. Things always change and evolve.

Highwayman0226

Madden, Final Fantasy and Mario are still kicking!

You are right though, when the players get bored of the game, it goes away.  I think CoD changes enough from title to title to keep it somewhat fresh though.

Highwayman0226

I actually like this CoD more than the previous two.  It's starting to get a little boring.  Last weekend was the worst I've ever seen as far as folks sitting still.  I think clan wars might've played into that though.  I've been playing a lot of BF4 on the PS4 alongside of CoD.  Pretty fun, but very different game.  Destiny looks pretty cool too. 

I think CoD will be fine though.  Ghosts looks and runs great on the PS4.  When they start making games exclusively for the next gen consoles, things could get interesting.

Death__Knight

Well, I don't think it will ever die. Its one of the best selling games by a huge margin. It has sold less, but it sold less from a gigantic amount to begin with, get it. Even if it sells 50% less, they will still make them.

milo-iq

There's a dearth of good fps multiplayer games and I think some of it is due to the success of MW 2. You gotta remember MW 2 drank the other fps games n pissed em out!  MOH and BF couldn't compete and at last ps3 had a game that kicked halo up and down the road and said want some more ! AVIT!!!!!  However the creative minds went their way from Activision and sold there independence that made them and COD has been shackled by economists ever since. The recession has also had a good deal to do with the lack of creativity as software publishers/houses won't speculate to accumulate so we can only expect more of the same. COD may go a RPG way with an extension of squads, or more likely more emphasis will be placed on clans/league play. This leaves lone wolf/casual players with like it or lump it, most other publishers  can't/won't take COD on, those that can/could have failed so far which is disappointing. On the positive side, Ghosts is NOT a shot game! it is so superior to blops2 in so many ways and the competition that to speculate that COD is about to die is ridiculous! I reckon there s at least 2 more titles before a strong challenge may come from elsewhere .Yes COD has diminished from its former self but it ain't dead! and won't be for a while.

Schoat333

I think Titanfall will be big, but if they never bring it to PS, it will not reach COD status.

OPTIMAL

I think the obvious answer is that it will be another military shooter, but nothing that's been announced yet. At this moment, the only thing threatening CoD is it's own developers. I personally want CoD to get better but they have been killing it since the end of MW2. In my opinion Ghosts is the worst CoD ever made. The new IW just doesn't have what it takes. They've changed their game so much it doesn't even feel like a CoD when you play it. I think the only thing they did good on was the perk system, everything else is boring and bland. Lets not forget that one most important aspects of CoD is the worst it's ever been, and that's the maps. Some may like them, most don't. Regardless, they aren't maps for this game and only a few have any fluidity at all.

Tactics74

Well I entirely agree that the COD series is becoming a 'dragged out series'. I feel that there will always be a call for a good arcade style FPS. The key word is 'GOOD'.

Basically Ghost is just boring mainly because besides 'sliding' it has really nothing new that creates any appeal.

Future releases need to start adding features that you haven't seen before..

Here is some ideas that just popped in my head (so don't criticize)

- Timed perks- scorestreaks that give you extra health/armor, speed or unlimited ammo/no reload for like 20-30 secs

- Objective bonuses like- If you cap three flags you get a special weapon, six flags gets you something else and so on

- Team earned kill/scorestreaks- using entire team to earn bonus; like at 20 team kills or so many points, everyone gets something (radar, air support)

- Destructive/changing enviroments- self explained

These are all things that are just not the same old boring crap that I thought of in minutes, so i'm sure that better ones could be thought of. 

sennalike

I began playing CoD in W@W, and there was never more than 100,000 online. Most of the time it was 50-60k. That's pretty similar to how many are on ps4 when I play. So CoD may have peaked, but still has as many players as when I started. There will always be a fan base for it. When I was a kid we 'played' war in the streets with sticks for guns, there were no computer games then. Now there is and 'playing' war is what boys/men and some women like to do. If not CoD then something similar along the same lines will be around.

slusshhhher

when someone else actually decides to invest serious money into a quick fast paced FPS game im pretty sure COD will die, until then it will continue to print money as us sheep will continue to buy it.

veilofmaya

now that sledgehammer is taking the COD reigns this year...the other developers now have PLENTY of time to do something new and innovative...lets hope so at least lol

theroc23

I could be wrong, but I honestly believe that the next BO game will make a move BACK to BO2 style both in looks and overall gameplay...at which point many more BO fans will flock back to the series. I definitely don't think that the BO title is going away anytime soon.