21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2014 10:54 PM by iamyourfather RSS

Question RE: Jumpshots

JRN00498

We've all seen them, the dudes that go around and jump shot every single kill. Well, I tried to do that. I hate the claw grip. Don't really want to buy a scuf controller. So my question is this: How do you pull of a jump shot, consistently? If I jump, it's to get through a window, or a hole in the wall. I can pop off one round, but it's usually nowhere near the guy I'm aiming at.

I get dropshotting, especially on tactical way That's pretty easy, just push the right stick in. But, what am I missing? Is the jump shot only truly feasible with the help of a scuf controller?

• Re: Question RE: Jumpshots
    Bubbakush

Its from halo I would assume everyone has spring loaded boots in that game

AntiGov

Actually it's from Quake, it's called strafe jumping. Why does everyone assume it came from Halo? Do you even game?

SitRepPro

A lot of people aren't old enough to have played the old arena shooters.  Like I was told ages ago by an IW fanboy that Kill Confirmed was totally original, which was wrong.  All I know is that I got a funky emblem for killing a jump shotter in mid-air, skeet shooter or something.

Bubbakush

na I have a life and haven't hit 40 yet. But does it really matter it's like a tomato honestly call it strafe jumping call it halo jumping same thing don't need to invoke the geek

trialstardragon

Not exactly the same thing. The true Halo jump was a glitch used to toss you high in to the air to get to places nor normally available through normal means. What they are doing is bunny hopping. Used to through off the aim of players while taking advantage of the aim mechanics allowing the gun to free pull toward the enemy for an easy kill.

iDyn3x

mean crouch-jumping? that was a bit different from just jumpin around.  Later referred to as the "ghandi-hop" for said players prowess(and overuse)

ideas the same though, make yourself a hard kill.

With everyone so much better nowadays(playin on max sens, able to correct instantly) and more recently, due to it's overuse, able to correct pretty effectively against dropshots.  The only place you're left to go is up...lol.

It's way more effective than dropping ever was anyway.  Seems to be(my experience) impossible, without a relatively high sensitivity(70% about)

Who would whine about me countering you, prone, preaiming the door you know i'ma enter(for days!!)...That doesn't take skill, and if I know you're there, i'ma come flyin through that doorway.

Oh and I don't claw n I'm too broke to re-up a 120$ controller every 6months, but I can jumpshot just fine.

still think bumperjumper tacky would be dooooope, with the ability to drop all nades...they should've looked into different control schemes last game but whatev's.

Run_N_Gunning_Camper

It's pretty much like strafe jumping but I do my turn mid air.

wraithoverlord

JRN00498 wrote:

We've all seen them, the dudes that go around and jump shot every single kill. Well, I tried to do that. I hate the claw grip. Don't really want to buy a scuf controller. So my question is this: How do you pull of a jump shot, consistently? If I jump, it's to get through a window, or a hole in the wall. I can pop off one round, but it's usually nowhere near the guy I'm aiming at.

I get dropshotting, especially on tactical way That's pretty easy, just push the right stick in. But, what am I missing? Is the jump shot only truly feasible with the help of a scuf controller?

I have never seen it done properly in cod as the player could never jump as high as those in halo or quake.I would see them jump and they would get wiped out as it was one or the other, unless they were good. (I beat most jumpy, shooty players) but with the introduction of scuffs I find them to be a bit more of a pain.

The other is to practice more with the Claw Grip!

JSlayer211

I don't have a scuff or play with claw and I can jump shot whenever I so desire. I find it to be most viable though when you are using a shotgun or smg to hip fire the jump shot. When you are trying to jump shot without a scuff/claw, you will rely heavily on enemy anticipation. You won't have the flexibility to do it mid gun fight as you kind of have to prep for it before hand to switch quickly. You pretty much have to keep those crosshairs centered on where you anticipate the enemy will be and then jump while firing, engage the ADS and if they aren't dead by this time adjust your aim while continuing to fire all the way to the ground. I am not bragging or anything but it's totally doable without scuff/claw. It's just much harder and require tremendous hand speed/hand eye coordination/finger dexterity. Some people have thought I had a scuff before but I don't.

Keep in mind that jump shotting may not always be the best choice. Flinching only goes one way, up. So as you are shooting them, you are causing their aim to actually be more on target with hitting you and may find yourself a ragdoll in mid air due to your own tactic.

ukscorpz

Its not the best tactic in this game as I'm sure I saw a youtube video explaining that it enlarged the characters hitbox.

I hope it does as I hate Bunnyhoppers!  Damn those Pesky Wabbits!

admunday

Best thing about people jumping is if you kill them in midair - the corpse often ends up sitting in a very impressive 'splits' position.

For that reason alone, I encourage all to jump.

ukscorpz

True, even more so with a tube - they go miles lol!!!

Paladin244

I'll agree.  Killing a jumper gives some of the most hilarious death sequences in the game.  It's especially funny to watch a jumper die from a high altitude and spin, flip and/or glitch while their body makes its way down.  The only down side is if I'm laughing too much I'll sometimes get killed by their team mate as I'm watching the body fly...oh well, I still enjoy a good laugh!

trialstardragon

Teh bunny hopshotters are from Halo. Where in a game like Halo 4 if you timed it just right the games aiming mechanices gave you a free head shot with the battle rifle almost every time. They think its skillful and cry if anyone ever mentions removing the ability to do so or having it nerfed.

veilofmaya

i find that if you jumpshot midgunfight...thats themost viable way to do it..because the peoplethat jump before thegunfight (if you dont hit your shots right away) when you hit the ground ur body flinches downward from impact...try jumping mid gunfight and see if that helps

obzi

I find those who bounce around like a Kangaroo really annoying.

I just want to shout, "For gods sake, stand and fight like a man".

thecontracktor

Jump shots are "bs" and need to be NERFED....

I for one am tried of aim center mass having someone jump and I continue to hit but my targeting is thrown off for some unknown reason...

THExVeng3anc3

For me, the jump-shot is something I do often, but only in select scenarios.  I jump-shot around corners when I know there are enemies around the corner, and I jump-shot when I try to turn on someone.  Mostly, the corner jump-shot works well because I can jump before I need to aim, so I'm avoiding the disadvantage of not being able to aim while jumping.  While having a Scuf or Razer controller will definitely make jump-shotting easier, and plausible in a not-corner situation, it's possible to do without one.

Vulcan Hades

Are you seriously asking if having a modded controller  required to perform jump shots? lol no..

You just jump, aim and shoot. Though it's very hard to do consistently unless your target is sitting still and you measured it before hand.

I was the final kill of my last 2 games and both ended with pretty sick jump shots. The slow motion on the replay made them look even more godlike lol. I hope someone recorded them and uploads it to youtube.

JRN00498

I hate to admit this, but I got so fed up with getting killed by jump shotters, I just made my own "scuf style" controller. Since scufs are approved for use in tournaments, I dont consider simply remapping my A and B buttons to run to tact switches on the back of the controller as creating a modded controller? Its not a rapid fire mod, or God forbid a qs mod using an IC, or PIC, just a simple remap + paddles. And guess what, I still cant jump shot, and it made drop shotting harder!

iamyourfather

You do not need one, but you need to practice. You have to try to force yourself to do it.