17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2014 11:01 PM by dtuchpunk RSS

Gaming outside of Call of Duty

ghamorra

Has anyone seen the massive amount of hate for CoD, and really any online purposed FPS?

The gaming community outside of this genre is harsh but is it deserved. I've noticed that the quality of gaming has become stagnant. If you look at any really successful franchise over the last 10 years it's Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Halo.

There's hate because these games are popular by "gamers" who don't seem to venture out past the FPS. I play a lot of Call of Duty but I spend equal time playing other games. I see the world of gaming from multiple angles which might be why my ideas and concepts are so radical from CoD players who live and breathe playing online purposed FPS.

What are you thoughts on this? And if any mod feels this could be moved to a the General Discussion board feel free to do so.

• Re: Gaming outside of Call of Duty
    Izjar11

Bottom line: People will criticize anything, I mean ANYTHING that is not of their own production. The "hate" is a physiological one of jealousy, wanting and failure.

Instead of gamers simply being smart consumers and not purchasing something they do not like, many subject themselves to playing a game they cannot stand (this goes for all genres) this mentality is backwards.

Personally, most of these games are all amazing, compared to what I grew up with and how much I loved gaming when things were simple and to the point.

nicedrewishfela

CoD is "THE" thing to hate on these days. People hate on it because it is the "cool" thing to do now.

The funny thing is, many of the people hating on it play it regularly. It is the big gun of the gaming industry, and everyone likes to take swipes at those on top. People hated the Chicago Bulls when they were winning championships in the nineties. People hate on the Yankees for having 27 World Series Championships. People hate on pretty much anyone at the top of their chosen field.

There are quite a few decent games out there. I love the BioShock series and Assassin's Creed, as well as Splinter Cell and a few others like Skyrim.

Problem is, there is a  flood of games out there, and many of them are just plain bad. FPS games are quick and fun, thus so popular.

gramthenOOb

As has already been stated above, everyone hates on the best. Should Titanfall overtake COD in popularity, it will be hated on. If Destiny takes the top spot, haters will follow. People will find a way to hate on anything, especially if it isn't what they believe should be on top.

ghamorra

gramthenOOb wrote:

As has already been stated above, everyone hates on the best. Should Titanfall overtake COD in popularity, it will be hated on. If Destiny takes the top spot, haters will follow. People will find a way to hate on anything, especially if it isn't what they believe should be on top.

Call of Duty isn't all that's being hated. This whole genre is hated on. You see a news article about a FPS DLC or trailer, or whatever and the comments are loaded with hate. You see an article about the new Last of Us DLC or hype articles on Thief and it's nothing but acclaim and excitement. Even those who don't like the game still show dislike in the form of calm constructiveness. It's quite a different world outside of Call of Duty and other FPS. 

nicedrewishfela

It's the same with movie reviewers. Movies that everyone loves, they generally tend to hate.

Reviewers are the hipsters of the media world. They want people to gravitate towards things they like or find trendy or cool and denigrate what is popular.

Take a franchise like Harry Potter. One of the most successful franchises in history, and very solidly put together films. Yet they didn't win a single Oscar. Not for acting, not for makeup, not for effects... anything. The biggest snub had to go to Stuart Craig. He was able to take a beloved literary series and completely imagine the world as it might look down to the most minute detail. What he accomplished over a span of 8 films was remarkable. Yet one year he lost out to the Production Designer for "The Iron Lady". No offense to fans of that film.. but all that person had to do was recreate modern London and make a talented actress look like a real-life figure, not much to imagine there other than recreating places and people that already exist.

Does that mean they did a better job? Not necessarily, but it is the snobbery of the film industry sticking up their noses at popular fare.

Same thing is happening in the gaming industry. People can't take a game for their experience with it, there has to be a Social Media aspect of it as well. PC players act elite over Consoles. One Console's users hate on other console's users. One Franchises' players hate on another franchises' players. And it goes on and on. Gaming is meant to be fun, but a lot of this hoopla and hatred has detracted from the games themselves.

iHattoriHanzo0

Yeah, I've been reading comments from the gaming community for a while about how CoD is the same game every year. There is no question, compared to all games, it is. But as you know, its the details that make it different. I think the hate does come from the success it has had over the years, like already stated.

Face it. CoD is like a drug. Its addictive as heck, and if you've never tried it or been hooked, there is a sense of what all the hoopla is about?... This is my take on the hate from outside the CoD community.

In my opinion, this is the hate from inside the community.....

With a franchise like Call of Duty, the expectations for the newest game are extremely high and have to compete with rose tinted titles. I truly don't think the problem lies with the game itself, its the player. In some sense, its the competitive nature that  creates the negativity toward CoD.

How many passionate CoD fans can't put the game down, no matter how infuriated they get. Or how much they disagree with choices by the developers. A large part of the vocal community has been biting the hand that feeds them for a while now.

The only other game I've played beyond the goal of 100% achievement completion is GTA5. The other games I play are usually just for a good campaign. Or zombie slashers.

dtuchpunk

COD is a old francise  with a lot of games. People liking one point of one of them and missing it later will hate. Just because it's cool.

Luckly I like different genres. Will go play world of tanks on the box over a hour.

Bielsalmighty

I like CoD, Minecraft, Fallout, TES games, GTA, Forza, Fable, Civilization, I will be getting Titanfall, Destiny and if it comes out on XB1 I am very excited for Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I'm not short on gaming options. If CoD gets too frustrating its not overly difficult to go play something else. Been mostly playing Minecraft and Dead Island recently so as to not burn myself out before the upcoming clan war.

nuttin2say

It took Monopoly like 100 years to change ... one of the player tokens.

Other genre's are "more" innovative? I don't know, Plants vs. zombies is a modern version of space invaders. Sims? Yeah. Big innovation there. Car racing games? Last I checked, you still either go in a straight line or around in circles. My wife has got me into this "Hanging with Friends" game. An adaption of Yahtzee, really. Flappy Bird? Off the market before I could download it ... but it looked like a reskinned Mario Bros, IMO.

Innovation? We don't need no stinking innovation!!!

JDCOMPACTMAN

I  like Fallout series and Assasin's Creed. Mostly play COD though.

Bandsaw

I have heard a lot of hate from COD players directed towards COD (which IMO is silly considering they play the game) and then there is the always popular COD v BF arguments. I play both COD and BF, I prefer COD, but I enjoy both. I think the whole FPS community is it's own enemy in that they are the main ones who whinge and complain about the games or their attitudes (squeakers raging or cyber bullying over the mic) tar us all with the same brush.

I like all games but the ones I am playing mostly atm is Ghosts, NFS: Rivals, Injustice and sometimes Kingdom Hearts. So if anyone wants to mess around on those games, send me a FR and we can have some fun.

Rayquaza39

I honestly hate the hate (XD lol) on video games in general. It saddens me to see that the media explodes on FPS games when a shooting happens. When they blame GTAV for kids behavior today when if they were to blame anyone, it should be the ignorant parents I see sometimes at a store that buy Saints Row and GTA for their elementary or middle school kids.

Then there is the stereotypes and hate about gamers who play COD, any FPS or any game. I'm fat and lazy? I'm a few months from a black belt in Taekwondo, and it is not a walk in the park. I can't get a girlfriend? High school students I see and overhear at times talk about people who are antisocial when truly they are introverts. I got called antisocial by a girl I sit near in Biology Honors, in fact the other two guys nearby got called that l, too. I tried to explain the concept of introversion to her, but got interrupted with a "I don't care" and left it at that. Its not video games, its my personality that often turn away the ladies. I will never change myself or try to impress for some girl who will lock eyes with some guy she finds "hot" the instant he appears.

I hate the retards who hate on gamers or a certain game. Its puts the good people in a bad light with those who deserve to be in a bad light, such as those who defend a certain weapon class in COD but hates on the other and wants a nerf.

nuttin2say

More power to you Ray. Frankly, HS love is highly overrated. Unless you are one of the rare ones that meet "the one" in HS, twenty years later when you hear a name from HS you're going to go, "Who?" LOL. And a lot of those babes checking out guys for their looks (re: daddy's money)? Yeah, most of 'em will be birthing their third child two years after HS.

You want to wait until you're a senior in college to fret over babes. Why? Because at that point you won't have to - they'll be fretting over you.

For ladies that may see this as sexist? The same applies to you. The guys fawning over the "hot" girls will all be working for Waste Management - only, they won't be in management. Not that that's a bad co. to work for or one job is better than another. But, you know. Life is funny.

ghamorra

nuttin2say wrote:

More power to you Ray. Frankly, HS love is highly overrated. Unless you are one of the rare ones that meet "the one" in HS, twenty years later when you hear a name from HS you're going to go, "Who?" LOL. And a lot of those babes checking out guys for their looks (re: daddy's money)? Yeah, most of 'em will be birthing their third child two years after HS.

You want to wait until you're a senior in college to fret over babes. Why? Because at that point you won't have to - they'll be fretting over you.

For ladies that may see this as sexist? The same applies to you. The guys fawning over the "hot" girls will all be working for Waste Management - only, they won't be in management. Not that that's a bad co. to work for or one job is better than another. But, you know. Life is funny.

On the contrary. I find high school love to be a very important learning experience. I'll try to keep this as PG13 as possible. I didn't invest much time into relationships in high school. I think I only had one girlfriend and because of that I was fairly ignorant by the time I entered college.The transition was rough as I knew nothing about certain things and wasn't very good at talking to girls. Fortunately I had roommates and a lot of girls that were friends who helped me. Not saying you need to be a whore or anything, but learn what you can in high school and college will be a blast.

Bielsalmighty

You were called Antisocial, because you play videogames? Gaming online has caused me to meet some of the coolest, best people I've ever come across - were it not for gaming I wouldn't be trying to drag my family over to Norway LOL. That girl sounds like an airhead mate, I wouldn't let it get to you. She'll probably wind up with a bastard, no less than she deserves for being so judgemental.