29 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2014 1:56 AM by admunday RSS

Change the riot shield back!

SirVixProbe

I personally use the riot shield 90% of the time and absolutely (used to) love it. C4 is my preferred weapon. With the nerf today, I literally stand no chance of surviving. Before this was changed, I at least had half a chance of getting the kill. With all the perks and weapons you can use to counter the shield/C4 combo, there is no reason a player with no gun should be completely exposed when throwing the C4. I know most of you won't agree with my style of play but I would like to hear from the people who agree with me. I posted here and in the Xbox One section since I play there and would like to hear what everyone has to say.

• Re: Change the riot shield back!
    Fang_1192

No, scrubs abusing C4 is a stupid and low skill tactic.

SirVixProbe

I don't think abuse would be the right word there. Just for fun, let's say it is. People abuse shotguns more often than you see people using riot shields. Why don't they get a nerf that makes them next to pointless? Shotguns are an equal "low skill tactic" in your words.

Fang_1192

Except with shotguns the risk is all in the approach. You have no defensive or offensive capabilities beyond 10 feet.

And you're right. Abusing is the wrong word. Anyone using C4 is a scrub. C4 is the lowest skill explosive with the highest pay off. It requires no thought, no preparation, no skill, minimal risk but has a generous kill range and supreme control.

HEREIAMNOW

ICU, Reflex, Steady Aim with Akimbo whatever you choose.

Sometimes people get stuck in one type of gameplay.  Since the nerf, try out new tactics.  Maybe youll find out that you have become a better player when  you do.

trialstardragon

Obviously the devs disagree and decided it was too easy of a setup so changed it. And yes you should have always been made vulnerable with tossing the c4, that is the trade off. The RS was mainly meant as a defensive support device, not as an offensive weapon as how it was used with the c4 and not showing a player when it was tossed.

Derfus

Can't wait till that patch hits the ps4.  You scrubs that use the riot/c4 in s&d and s&r are complete trash.

KC135R

I play HC DOM so I dont see it much but I do have big issues with throwable C4 anyway....

As for the riot shield, when I do see it in DOM I understand why they changed it, only for a plit second can I get a shot on an elbow. As for all the counters you mentioned, I don't know any that help me when I do meet a riot shield at close range. The percentage chance of me dying is close to 100%.

Now, if they can just change the Squadmate power in HC! It has the same power and amount of health as it does in core with almost perfect aim.

Izjar11

The hate towards it was stronger than the love, I for one am glad. I had this happen to me once, the guys shield never moved and it was just wrong.

phxs72

I haven't tried it post patch but I did run the dreaded C4/Danger Close/Riot Shield combo once prepatch and went something like 18-20 with it.  I'll admit that it was fun but only from a trolling sense.  The combo itself isn't useful if you are seriously trying to do well.  Post patch I can only imagine that the troll portion of the fun has been removed and that now it's gone back to being a strategic situational weapon that not everyone will be able to use successfully.  I'm perfectly fine with that.

Tygrastic1

I am glad they made the change.  It was needed.  The combo wasn't that hard to deal with in most game modes with the exception of S&R/D.  In our clan, I had to play the RS/C4 combo to counter the other team using it.  I can't express how much I loathed playing that class.  I am hoping the change exponentially decreases the use in the Search game modes.

MuscledRMH

FINALLY THEY FIXED THE EXPLOIT YOU BASTARDS USED

ghamorra

So glad this happened. No more invincible C4 throwers.

matuzz

Sweet justice.

NoLifeKing32

Good, its about time they nerfed this. Time for the bandwagon Ghosts riot shield users to learn how to use it properly, it was a stupid glitch, and its been fixed. You should not be invincible when deploying C4, it will never be changed back. Maybe now S&D will be fun to play, as I expect most of those bandwagoners will choose to jump off rather than adapt.

Donkey--Jawbone11

It really sucks how Ghosts has so little novelty and guys who are gifted gunners (unlike myself) can dominate the game so absolutely. When there is one little thing like the shield which adds a little novelty to the game, they nerf it. They had already taken it out of 4v4. Enough already. There should be more novelty, not less. Very few players use the shield and the ones who do use it usually are at the bottom of the lobby board.

The problem here is obvious to me. The guys who are really good at the game are almost all gifted gunners. They are vocal on these boards and have access and influence over the programmers. Guys like me who are crappy with a gun (and therefore crappy at the game generally) are ignored by the programmers so we have essentially no influence on the decision making.

The game should be at least as much about wit and strategy rather than just a contest or who is the best gunner. It is becoming so much a contest of who is the best gunner, fewer and fewer people are willing to play it and get bored with it.

We need more novelty, not less in the game. Bring back the tac insert and black hat. make the shield better/tougher. Make it so a crappy player like me can at least help his team by having a weapon against killstreaks which is absent in this game (BO2 had the FHJ). Ghosts has a very unlevel playing field where talented players get even more advantage with dominant killstreaks and now taking more away from players like me who only can use the novel items to have half a chance.

Lack of novelty is one of the biggest complaints about Ghosts and reasons for lackluster popularity.

Tygrastic1

Just to clarify, the shield itself was NOT nerfed or changed so your 'novelty' still exists.  The animation was changed to get rid of the invincibily factor when throwing C4.  You can still do everything you used to with the exception of being invincible when throwing C4.

I also think your definition of 'novelty' is the same as what I would consider the 'douche' factor.  This game needs less douche factor and this is a positive step in the right direction.  Most of your other points have me wondering if we are playing the same game?

Killstreaks are far from dominant.

This game actually encourages smart play and strategy rather than running from spawn to spawn like an idiot.

'Novelty' or <douche> factor is NOT one of the biggest complaints about this title and I highly doubt your suggestion of a tac insert is going to fix it.

Donkey--Jawbone11

Alright, shield users are almost always killed more than any other player so to characterize them in any way as "invincible" is disingenuous at best. I expect there to be little support for any novel method since the only ones who are likely to support it are those who use it who are few and far between. By my suggesting the tac insert be brought back is more of a vote of support for a tactic other than just getting in others player's faces with a gun which is getting old. Getting old means fewer sales and fewer players.You come up with something novel or "douche" or whatever you want to call it, but the game has very little newness.

By the way, the magic formula for video games is to balance irritation with reward. Obviously, one of the more irritating things in the game is C4-riot shield. I see the trend to nerf the riot shield-C4 (and it is a nerf despite the "animation" spin) as a step backward in one of the few things the game had going for it.

I played some BO2 for the 1st time in a couple of months last night, so you'll be glad there was one less riot shield-C4 player.

NoLifeKing32

Its not a step backward. Its a correction of a flawed mechanic, and its justified. Time to learn how to use the riot shield properly. Or as I predicted, jump off because you can't adapt.

trialstardragon

No one here cares you went back to an older game just because you didn't like a change that took away your ability to exploit the shield. And it is by no means a step backwards. It is a step forward in the fact they they did not leave it as is, to cater to those that abused it. It is only a step backwards to you since you abused it and now cant anymore as easily as was before. The same how players cried about the change to DS/SR saying it ruined the game when it did not. Just they like you did not want to have to change how you played so did not want the change. Since it made it harder to abuse that one factor of the game that never should have been there in the first place.

Tygrastic1

I have regularly used the RS/C4 combo.  I finished the Danger Close gold patch last week, so that puts me at 850 C4 kills minimum.  It is the most skill-less setup in the game.  You slow walk to a group and toss the C4 with near zero exposure, hence the invincibility factor (right now), and you immediately detonate it- sometimes mid-toss.  I played with a guy in S&R that went 22-6 in a game using the setup a few nights ago.  Why?  Because of flawed game mechanic where he can sit behind his shield and toss the C4 without being exposed coupled with the penalty of death in that game mode.  It is now fixed, and quite simply a step in a positive direction.  The setup was exploited due to the game mechanics.  Apologies you were one of the people running around with the irritating LOL loadouts.  I dealt with them just fine.

Donkey--Jawbone11 wrote:

By the way, the magic formula for video games is to balance irritation with reward. Obviously, one of the more irritating things in the game is C4-riot shield. I see the trend to nerf the riot shield-C4 (and it is a nerf despite the "animation" spin) as a step backward in one of the few things the game had going for it.

And by the way, the magic formula to balance a video game is to balance irritation and reward?  I laughed when I read that statement, so for that, thank you.  That is the first time I have ever heard that combo.  So now, we need to hand out gold star stickers to people that play irritating loadouts since by your definition, they should be rewarded?  Really?  I mean, really?

Donkey--Jawbone11 wrote:

By my suggesting the tac insert be brought back is more of a vote of support for a tactic other than just getting in others player's faces with a gun which is getting old. Getting old means fewer sales and fewer players.You come up with something novel or "douche" or whatever you want to call it, but the game has very little newness.

So your suggestion for 'newness' is to bring back the tac insert that has been in the previous titles?  Doesn't NOT having the tac insert provide that 'newness' from other titles?  Also, the tac insert was used to get in other player's faces quicker with a gun, but is somehow getting old by your definition?  Why in the hell are you playing a FPS military shooter?

rankismet

Donkey--Jawbone11 wrote:

We need more novelty, not less in the game.

You have space kittens as a camo.

The amount of "novelty" already in this game is nauseating.

rubthisway

Don't you think a shooter should reward gunskills? COD already puts less emphasis on gunskill than most shooters, due to the high damage weapons and low recoil = short ttk. If you're behind me my aim doesn't help me at all.

Donkey--Jawbone11

shooter pooter

gunskills shmunskills

the programmers don't care what terms are used. They just want to make a smash hit game that everyone and their mother will play and waste a lot of money on. Our brains crave novelty. Without it, we get bored. We may think what we want is some pure game of skill, but gamemakers know better. If you don't believe me about the magic balance between irritation and reward, there is a TED Talk which discusses the science behind video games very elegantly.

Last thing I'll say --  as an annoying C4 chucking riot shield wielder, Your hate makes me stronger...